RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Sexy Rankings: Who are the top high school teams?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/30/18 11:23 am    ::: Sexy Rankings: Who are the top high school teams? Reply Reply with quote

"Sex" being the Latin root word for "six" -- because there are six ranking services for girl's high school basketball teams of which I am aware.

I have no idea which is the most accurate or how one would even determine that, but here they all are.

MaxPreps has two different ranking systems that you can separately click on. The Xcellent 25 Ranking is done by humans, primarily or exclusively by RebKell's own Clay Kallam. Alternatively, MaxPreps also offers computer rankings, with which you can search on the rankings for each state. I like MaxPreps the best if only because it's tightly linked to the massive MaxPreps database of schools, teams, rosters, players, schedules and statistics.

USA Today also offers an Expert human ranking along with a computer ranking, the latter allowing intrastate ranking searches. I'm unable to tell who does the human rankings. Clay would know better than I, but USA Today may be the oldest GHSBB ranking service, as it was they I recall awarding the "mythical" high school national championship beginning sometime in the 90's perhaps.

ESPNW offers its 25 Power Rankings, compiled by the ubiquitous Dan Olson, who also does the ESPNW-HoopGurlz player rankings.

Blue Star Media offers its Elite 25 ranking, compiled by Christopher Lawlor.

To sort out this sexy cacophony, RebKell's Bob Corwin calculated a composite Poll of Polls for Swish Appeal for a few years, but I don't think he's doing that anymore.

As of right now, there's no cacophony at the very top. All six ranking services are in harmony as to #1: Archbishop Mitty of San Jose, California.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/30/18 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All very interesting, but these are all what would be called Class 4A or 5A schools in most states, or #A if private schools play separately. What about the small schools that are perennial powerhouses and send players to DI schools? I'm thinking of places like Barneveld, WI, whose Hannah Whitish is a delightful surprise for Nebraska as PG? Barneveld has won its division in the girls basketball tournament in Wisconsin for most of at least the last 10 years.

PostPosted: 01/30/18 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
All very interesting, but these are all what would be called Class 4A or 5A schools in most states, or #A if private schools play separately. What about the small schools that are perennial powerhouses and send players to DI schools? I'm thinking of places like Barneveld, WI, whose Hannah Whitish is a delightful surprise for Nebraska as PG? Barneveld has won its division in the girls basketball tournament in Wisconsin for most of at least the last 10 years.

These systems all seek to rank regardless of the school's class or division within a state. So, yes, it's likely that the human rankings, which are all limited to 25 teams in the country, would include only teams that are in the highest state classes. The MaxPreps computer ranks Barneveld #8764 in the country and #238 in Wisconsin.

[url]http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/barneveld-eagles-(barneveld,wi)/girls-basketball/home.htm[/url]

In some states you can find newspapers or blogs that rank local or statewide high schools within classes or divisions, sometimes broken out by public schools, catholic schools, private schools, etc., but they don't rank against the schools from other states.

In my opinion, you've got to take these national high school rankings with even more grains of salt than the college polls and RPI rankings, especially when you start dipping below the top 10 or so. There are over 30,000 high schools in the USA.
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 01/30/18 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

These systems all seek to rank regardless of the school's class or division within a state. So, yes, it's likely that the human rankings, which are all limited to 25 teams in the country, would include only teams that are in the highest state classes. The MaxPreps computer ranks Barneveld #8764 in the country and #238 in Wisconsin.

[url]http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/barneveld-eagles-(barneveld,wi)/girls-basketball/home.htm[/url]

In some states you can find newspapers or blogs that rank local or statewide high schools within classes or divisions, sometimes broken out by public schools, catholic schools, private schools, etc., but they don't rank against the schools from other states.

In my opinion, you've got to take these national high school rankings with even more grains of salt than the college polls and RPI rankings, especially when you start dipping below the top 10 or so. There are over 30,000 high schools in the USA.

Well we are talking about best and deepest "teams", not teams that may or may not have the best players.

ClayK

PostPosted: 01/30/18 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

A major element in our rankings is strength of schedule, and out-of-state competition.

Many schools are limited by finances or state rules, but generally if a team is really interested in a national ranking, it can figure out a way to play some quality opponents.

And really, size of school/classification has little to do with the rankings. Holy Innocents Episcopal is maybe the next team in, and they're in the smallest Georgia division. In California, likely the next team would be Pinewood (enrollment 300) or Windward (540).

Finally, the USA Today rankings are the most venerable. I've been doing them since 1996 for a variety of publications, but Chris Lawlor has been at it longer than that.

PostPosted: 01/30/18 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

In which case, my order for 6 cases of Morton's just went in to Amazon Very Happy

PostPosted: 01/30/18 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

A major element in our rankings is strength of schedule, and out-of-state competition.

Many schools are limited by finances or state rules, but generally if a team is really interested in a national ranking, it can figure out a way to play some quality opponents.

And really, size of school/classification has little to do with the rankings. Holy Innocents Episcopal is maybe the next team in, and they're in the smallest Georgia division. In California, likely the next team would be Pinewood (enrollment 300) or Windward (540).

Finally, the USA Today rankings are the most venerable. I've been doing them since 1996 for a variety of publications, but Chris Lawlor has been at it longer than that.

In many states, private schools which give scholarships are forced to "play up" several divisions if private and public schools play together. That happened to my daughter's school (Knoxville Catholic in TN), even though the "scholarships" were not athletic at all but were parish aid to students who could not otherwise afford to go there. At the time she went there private schools were in a separate division, but this changed shortly after she graduated. Because of the public schools' fear of places like Brentwood Academy, the policy I mentioned was put into effect, hurting much smaller schools. Catholic has since moved its campus and become larger and now holds its own. Not so some others.

PostPosted: 01/31/18 8:41 am    ::: Re: Sexy Rankings: Who are the top high school teams? Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
"Sex" being the Latin root word for "six" -- because there are six ranking services for girl's high school basketball teams of which I am aware.

I'm disappointed to see this "clever" post title on Rebkell's, at a time when girls and women are fighting to be treated with respect.

PRballer

PostPosted: 01/31/18 10:17 am    ::: Re: Sexy Rankings: Who are the top high school teams? Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

I'm disappointed to see this "clever" post title on Rebkell's, at a time when girls and women are fighting to be treated with respect.

I was, too! Realize there is a different meaning involved here, as explained, but "sex" or "sexy" and "high school" or "teenage girls" should be kept quite separate. Felt jarring to me.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 01/31/18 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmmmmmmm...

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 01/31/18 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And here I opened this due to the word sexy Laughing

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 01/31/18 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought Michigan has restrictions on playing out of state. I could be wrong but I thought I read that somewhere.

ClayK

PostPosted: 02/01/18 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are limits in Michigan, but Edison did travel to Ohio and beat Africentric. Detroit Country Day has played in Indiana in the past.

Most teams that are serious about being nationally ranked can manage to play at least a couple games against elite out-of-state teams (Africentric is very good), though some really can't. Those games are the ones that matter the most, though schools like Duncanville in Texas just stay home and never leave and still get ranked due to their stockpile of talent and great overall record.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: