RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Dawn salty over eligibility for some schools and not hers
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 01/25/18 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dawn said that USC would not appeal but hinted (hoped) Te'a's parents would "lawyer up"

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/26/18 8:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought two of her comments were revealing. First, that she wouldn't bother having her staff submit an appeal. Second that she didn't want Cooper for a sixth year even if she could get it. Together these reveal pretty clearly that the only thing she has wanted has been to get Cooper right now for the end of this year, and she really isn't interested in helping Cooper to extend her eligibility and playing days beyond this year.

Lesson is, as usual, don't pressure someone to rush a decision, or you just might not like the answer you get. The easiest answer to provide quickly is typically "no". I learned that a long time ago with judges.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 01/26/18 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I thought two of her comments were revealing. First, that she wouldn't bother having her staff submit an appeal. Second that she didn't want Cooper for a sixth year even if she could get it. Together these reveal pretty clearly that the only thing she has wanted has been to get Cooper right now for the end of this year, and she really isn't interested in helping Cooper to extend her eligibility and playing days beyond this year.

Lesson is, as usual, don't pressure someone to rush a decision, or you just might not like the answer you get. The easiest answer to provide quickly is typically "no". I learned that a long time ago with judges.

OTOH, Cooper's loose-cannon performance while at Tenn wouldn't lead me to believe that she's going to step on the court at SC and be an instant game changer for the remainder of this season.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/26/18 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

OTOH, Cooper's loose-cannon performance while at Tenn wouldn't lead me to believe that she's going to step on the court at SC and be an instant game changer for the remainder of this season.

She’s been practicing with the team, so Staley probably likes what she’s seen.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/26/18 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, Dawn can just get over it, because "Not this year." Te'a might play next year to up her draft stock, and then she's gone with the wind. She's only in this for herself.

PostPosted: 01/26/18 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Well, Dawn can just get over it, because "Not this year." Te'a might play next year to up her draft stock, and then she's gone with the wind. She's only in this for herself.

Why? If she leaves with eligibility she would be no different from Parker.

Cooper could play next year and then decide to either turn pro, stay for another year or transfer to another school where she would be able to play her 5th year. And whatever she decides I hope she puts her needs first.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/26/18 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Cooper could play next year and then decide to either turn pro, stay for another year or transfer to another school where she would be able to play her 5th year. And whatever she decides I hope she puts her needs first.

Because Cooper's whole attitude is different from Candace's, that's why. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 01/27/18 12:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
linkster wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Because Cooper's whole attitude is different from Candace's, that's why. Rolling Eyes

My recollection of Parker beyond her immense talent was that like Cooper she broke rules and then left Tenn before her eligibility was up. Some Vol fans have hinted that like Cooper she wasn't the most loved person in the locker room. But then I am speculating based on second and third hand reports. What is your opinion based on? Do you have actual first hand information?

CBiebel

PostPosted: 01/27/18 4:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
Perhaps Dawn should pay off the NCAA like Muppet did.

I didn't realize anyone from Jim Henson's crew was coaching.

Phil

PostPosted: 01/27/18 9:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:

Wasn't she famous for saying "It isn't easy being green"?

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 01/27/18 9:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
CBiebel wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:

Wasn't she famous for saying "It isn't easy being green"?
Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 01/27/18 10:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
linkster wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

My recollection of Parker beyond her immense talent was that like Cooper she broke rules and then left Tenn before her eligibility was up. Some Vol fans have hinted that like Cooper she wasn't the most loved person in the locker room. But then I am speculating based on second and third hand reports. What is your opinion based on? Do you have actual first hand information?

Cooper broke curfew once, and didn't start fights with the team captain. Rolling Eyes You seem to want to magnify that into something it wasn't. Pat would not put up with continual disruption from anyone. You probably don't remember Peggy Evans. I do. Candace wasn't a continual disruptive, petty force on the team. Once Cooper didn't have DD to hide behind she was apparently a real brat. And let's just say I have my sources. Holly is too nice sometimes. One thing she apparently didn't learn from Pat is when to crack down.

PostPosted: 01/28/18 12:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
linkster wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Didn't Parker leave when pretty much the rest of UT's starters were graduating?

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 02/09/18 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

According to this Post & Courier article, a reason (not THE whole reason, but "a" reason) why the NCAA didn't grant Cooper the waiver was apparently we find out that Cooper wasn't really released with no restriction or conditions, like UTjr. stated publicly that she was. The NCAA communicated with UTjr., and learned that UTjr. did NOT agree with Cooper getting the waiver:

Quote:
“It’s basically, if Te’a’s previous institution would have agreed to allow her to play, it would have helped our cause,” Staley said Friday. “But they didn’t agree.”

Staley pointed out that it was no guarantee the NCAA would have accepted the waiver if Tennessee had cleared Cooper. She also said she could see herself doing the same if it was one of her players transferring within the league.

“It’s probably because just her transferring,” Staley said. “I probably would have looked at it the same way, especially being in the same conference.”

Tennessee coach Holly Warlick was asked on Jan. 14 if Tennessee had placed any restrictions on Cooper’s transfer. “Not to my knowledge,” Warlick answered.

https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/dawn-staley-explains-ncaa-decision-on-te-a-cooper/article_ddd2f060-0dc5-11e8-bb1f-33dd78ed1973.html

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 02/09/18 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ouch, next time you play them it should be a more interesting game.

linkster

PostPosted: 02/09/18 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Tennessee coach Holly Warlick was asked on Jan. 14 if Tennessee had placed any restrictions on Cooper’s transfer. “Not to my knowledge,” Warlick answered.

I've no problem with a school protecting itself but come on, if Tenn put restrictions on a player's transfer there is no fucking way the head coach can deny any knowledge.

Reminds of the answer Tenn gave when asked if they reported UConn oh so long ago. "No, we didn't make the complaint, it came from the SEC".

There's nothing wrong with being a ruthless competitor but don't hide from it.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 02/10/18 2:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does the SEC have intraconference transfer rules (IOW, penalties if you transfer to another SEC school). I know other conferences have had those.

~UK~

PostPosted: 02/10/18 6:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
Does the SEC have intraconference transfer rules (IOW, penalties if you transfer to another SEC school). I know other conferences have had those.

No

Davis4632

PostPosted: 02/10/18 7:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
According to this Post & Courier article, a reason (not THE whole reason, but "a" reason) why the NCAA didn't grant Cooper the waiver was apparently we find out that Cooper wasn't really released with no restriction or conditions, like UTjr. stated publicly that she was. The NCAA communicated with UTjr., and learned that UTjr. did NOT agree with Cooper getting the waiver:

Quote:
“It’s basically, if Te’a’s previous institution would have agreed to allow her to play, it would have helped our cause,” Staley said Friday. “But they didn’t agree.”

Staley pointed out that it was no guarantee the NCAA would have accepted the waiver if Tennessee had cleared Cooper. She also said she could see herself doing the same if it was one of her players transferring within the league.

“It’s probably because just her transferring,” Staley said. “I probably would have looked at it the same way, especially being in the same conference.”

https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/dawn-staley-explains-ncaa-decision-on-te-a-cooper/article_ddd2f060-0dc5-11e8-bb1f-33dd78ed1973.html

I find it ironic that you refer to Tennessee as UTjr, when two names that South Carolina often call themselves USC and Carolina, are more commonly linked to other schools.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/10/18 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://amp.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-womens-basketball/article199362659.html

So Staley now tells the newspaper that the real reason Cooper was turned down was because Tennessee objected.

Notably absent is any apology for her assinine bullshit assertion that other coaches lie on their applications.

What a selfish, arrogant, self-impressed asshole she is. A legend in her own mind.

Geno's almost likeable in comparison to her. At least he's actually earned the right to be arrogant.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 02/11/18 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:

SEC 14.5.5 Four -Year College Transfers.
See NCAA Bylaw 14.5.5.
14.5.5.1 Transferring within the Southeastern Conference
A transfer student from a member institution shall not be eligible for intercollegiate competition at another member institution until the student has fulfilled a residence requirement of one full academic year (two full semesters) at the certifying institution. Further, a transfer student-athlete admitted after the 12th class day may not utilize that semester for the purpose of establishing residency. Student-athletes meeting the terms of NCAA Bylaws 14.5.5.2.1, 14.5.5.2.2, 14.5.5.2.3, 14.5.5.2.4, 14.5.5.2.5, 14.5.5.2.6, 14.5.5.2.7, 14.5.5.2.8 and 14.5.5.2.9 may seek a waiver of the provisions of this bylaw.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2017/0822/2017-18%20SEC%20Constitution%20and%20Bylaws.pdf

ArtBest23 wrote:
http://amp.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-womens-basketball/article199362659.html

So Staley now tells the newspaper that the real reason Cooper was turned down was because Tennessee objected.

Notably absent is any apology for her assinine bullshit assertion that other coaches lie on their applications.

What a selfish, arrogant, self-impressed asshole she is. A legend in her own mind.

I find it difficult to believe that the Univ of Tennessee's conditions weren't already disclosed to Cooper, specifically when she was encouraged to leave in lieu of facing additional disciplinary action. Dawn's waiver request seems like a Hail Mary, and now that's it's failed, she's being disingenuous by blaming Tenn and using terms like "lawyer up," instead of just saying the request was a long shot and moving on. When Kelsey Bone decided to transfer, Staley prohibited her from even playing at another SEC school. What's good for the goose, etc.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: