Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 88, 89, 90  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nerd2

PostPosted: 01/11/18 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Bill's always been an asset manager who very rarely loses something for nothing.

Yeah, like that trade for Tweety Nolan, for instance. He was able to unload that useless McCarville, who went on to help the Lynx as a starter to their arguably strongest Championship run.

Quote:
Friday, the Liberty were part of a three-team trade involving Minnesota and Tulsa. New York got the Nos. 15 and 27 picks in the upcoming draft, plus the rights to former Detroit guard Deanna Nolan. She hasn't played in the WNBA since the franchise moved to Tulsa.
Tulsa got forward Nicole Powell from New York and guard Candice Wiggins from Minnesota, plus the No. 29 pick in the draft. The Lynx got forward Janel McCarville from the Liberty and a 2014 second-round draft pick from the Shock.

So he traded to get some picks and a hope that Nolan would return and sent McCarville back to her roots. Only you could turn a favor done to a player into a snark against that coach.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 01/11/18 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
Shades wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Bill's always been an asset manager who very rarely loses something for nothing.

Yeah, like that trade for Tweety Nolan, for instance. He was able to unload that useless McCarville, who went on to help the Lynx as a starter to their arguably strongest Championship run.

Quote:
Friday, the Liberty were part of a three-team trade involving Minnesota and Tulsa. New York got the Nos. 15 and 27 picks in the upcoming draft, plus the rights to former Detroit guard Deanna Nolan. She hasn't played in the WNBA since the franchise moved to Tulsa.
Tulsa got forward Nicole Powell from New York and guard Candice Wiggins from Minnesota, plus the No. 29 pick in the draft. The Lynx got forward Janel McCarville from the Liberty and a 2014 second-round draft pick from the Shock.

So he traded to get some picks and a hope that Nolan would return and sent McCarville back to her roots. Only you could turn a favor done to a player into a snark against that coach.

My impression--perhaps I've got this wrong--is that McCarville was anxious to go back home and there were indications that she wouldn't play in New York again. If that's true, then Laimbeer did a favor for McCarville AND got something for possibly nothing. I'm with Nerd here. I see absolutely no reason to criticize Laimbeer for that trade.

PostPosted: 01/11/18 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My recollection was the McCarville was not wanting to play in NY when Whiz was the coach and just didn't show. Laimbeer did not seem like a big fan of McCarville anyway. He made some comments about seeing her play overseas, I believe, which at the time I characterized as "damning by faint praise". So in the end, I think it was pretty mutual that she should go elsewhere. I always thought Laimbeer's lack of enthusiasm for McCarville was strange because of all the players in the W, her game seemed most like his - good high post game, good passer, and let's just say "very physical".

root_thing

PostPosted: 01/11/18 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JMac wanted a couple of days at home with her family before coming to camp in 2011. It meant showing up a bit late, but Whisenant told her to show up on time or be fined. Janel chose to sit out the season instead. Then in 2012, Whiz goes out to visit JMac, hat in hand, and asks her to come back. By then, Janel decides that she likes spending summers with her family and declines the invitation. We know this because she actually posted a note (I think on the Liberty website) where she thanked Whiz and the Liberty for their interest. When Laimbeer takes over in 2013, he is asked about McCarville and he answers that she is a good passer. To me, that's a perfectly reasonable thing to say since it's JMac's actual reputation -- as one of the best passing centers in the league. However, people on this board chose to characterize it as faint praise. Confused Anyway, it was clear that JMac wouldn't play anywhere that wasn't close to her home in Wisconsin. That meant Minnesota or nowhere. So, Laimbeer packaged her in a trade that netted him something back. At the time, no one knew that Nolan would never return. In business, what the Liberty got was akin to an option. Options give you the right to acquire an asset within a fixed period of time if certain conditions are met. Sometimes they pay off, sometimes they don't. Either way, the opportunity itself is considered to have value.

PostPosted: 01/11/18 10:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
JMac wanted a couple of days at home with her family before coming to camp in 2011. It meant showing up a bit late, but Whisenant told her to show up on time or be fined. Janel chose to sit out the season instead. Then in 2012, Whiz goes out to visit JMac, hat in hand, and asks her to come back. By then, Janel decides that she likes spending summers with her family and declines the invitation. We know this because she actually posted a note (I think on the Liberty website) where she thanked Whiz and the Liberty for their interest. When Laimbeer takes over in 2013, he is asked about McCarville and he answers that she is a good passer. To me, that's a perfectly reasonable thing to say since it's JMac's actual reputation -- as one of the best passing centers in the league. However, people on this board chose to characterize it as faint praise. Confused Anyway, it was clear that JMac wouldn't play anywhere that wasn't close to her home in Wisconsin. That meant Minnesota or nowhere. So, Laimbeer packaged her in a trade that netted him something back. At the time, no one knew that Nolan would never return. In business, what the Liberty got was akin to an option. Options give you the right to acquire an asset within a fixed period of time if certain conditions are met. Sometimes they pay off, sometimes they don't. Either way, the opportunity itself is considered to have value.

Thanks for posting this. These details confirm my recollections: "Minnesota or nowhere" for McCarville. So it was certainly worth doing by Laimbeer. Maybe Nolan comes to New York; maybe she doesn't. Maybe the draft picks work out for the Liberty; maybe they don't. Possible gain in exchange for giving away a player who wasn't returning to New York anyway. And he did something nice for McCarville in the process.

PostPosted: 01/22/18 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So most of January is gone and we still know nothing about our team's future.

I could prove to be very wrong. There could be some bombshell soon ahead. But here's my guess: every day that passes with no news means it's more likely that the New York Liberty will play the 2018 season in Madison Square Garden. Whether the team is sold soon or not.

I'm not speculating now about 2019 or beyond. But I believe that our 2018 season will be played at the Garden.

PostPosted: 01/22/18 6:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have to believe the same thing. The schedule is being worked on now and free agency talks have begun. If anything we just won't have all 17 home games at MSG.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
StevenHW

PostPosted: 01/22/18 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would love to know or at least anything about any possible or potential buyers of the Liberty. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 01/22/18 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am just hoping that we have a Liberty at this point, gotta be some dude with money in New York who needs some PR for some past indiscretions Wink

pilight

PostPosted: 01/23/18 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I predict a resolution is coming soon

PostPosted: 01/23/18 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

I predict it also Cool

PostPosted: 01/23/18 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
pilight wrote:

I predict it also Cool

My magic 8 ball agrees. Hopefully by Friday.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/23/18 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's the Liberty update you've all been waiting for.... the Liberty International Update

http://liberty.wnba.com/news/liberty-international-update-1-23-2/

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 01/23/18 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Here's the Liberty update you've all been waiting for.... the Liberty International Update

We get this weekly. Rumblings are happening with the sale of the Liberty today, so....

Nerd2

PostPosted: 01/23/18 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Shades wrote:

We get this weekly. Rumblings are happening with the sale of the Liberty today, so....

I'd heard last week that they'd had a buyer and that it was a matter of paperwork. Teams expected to be able to release dates for opening games this week and a full schedule by the end of the month.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 01/23/18 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fingers crossed

Nerd2

PostPosted: 01/23/18 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Fingers crossed

It's been interesting to watch the MSG schedule fill up. There are still whole blocks open that could accommodate games but there are not as many as in years past. The schedule will be compressed this year so maybe they would stack up home stands. But, it might also mean a split in locations.

toad455

PostPosted: 01/23/18 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

June, July and August are still almost wide open. We may not get all 17 games at MSG this season, but I still think we get 12-14 there. How that works with season ticket holders is another thing.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/23/18 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
June, July and August are still almost wide open. We may not get all 17 games at MSG this season, but I still think we get 12-14 there. How that works with season ticket holders is another thing.

Is there an assumption they'd be playing at MSG because there's no time to set up any other venue?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Nerd2

PostPosted: 01/23/18 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

The big thing that I wonder is how different it will be now that it is independently owned. One of the biggest perks of courtside was that Delta Club food. Would they still have that? What would the ticket prices be if they didn't get the hometown discount?

toad455

PostPosted: 01/23/18 7:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Is there an assumption they'd be playing at MSG because there's no time to set up any other venue?

My assumption is the fact that MSG hasn't filled their summer calendar and has left plenty of dates available for the Liberty.

genesis1272

PostPosted: 01/24/18 4:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's debatable. As someone who sits behind the Liberty bench and is in Delta Club- the food is most definitely NOT one of the best perks, and is frequently actually complained about! I'd honestly rather just have the old perk= $30 for cocktails, and just grab a hotdog from somewhere in the arena. As for the seat prices, I'll gladly pay more for my seat, if that's what it takes, so long as it means I still have my Liberty to root for and cheer on. They are my team do or die, and I'm all in here!

toad455

PostPosted: 01/24/18 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ubiquiti Networks' owner Robert Pera is being rumored to be the new owner. Anyone else have info on this guy? Or any info if this is true?

pilight

PostPosted: 01/24/18 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Ubiquiti Networks' owner Robert Pera is being rumored to be the new owner. Anyone else have info on this guy? Or any info if this is true?

He's the majority owner of the Memphis Grizzlies, but is currently involved in a dispute with some of the minority owners.

PostPosted: 01/24/18 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

Shavonte Zellous says it's just rumors, that they haven't been sold. She does say they will be in NYC regardless, too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
Page 16 of 90

Jump to: