RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Dawn salty over eligibility for some schools and not hers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 01/20/18 12:16 pm    ::: Dawn salty over eligibility for some schools and not hers Reply Reply with quote

Sounds like SC Coach is still salty Laughing

Raoul‏
@Raoul_000
Follow Follow @Raoul_000
More
WBB: South Carolina's coach reverses course—no longer saying that NCAA should take her team's injuries into account in Te'a Cooper waiver request http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-womens-basketball/article195661674.html

5:34 PM - 19 Jan 2018
4 Retweets 5 Likes Noel🇯🇲🇳🇬🇵🇷🇪🇹adamYvonne DavisSharonJaydenBMalinda HodgesCoach Clora
4 replies 4 retweets 5 likes
Reply 4

Is she caling out MM?

Anyone better at pasting than me? Laughing

Shades

PostPosted: 01/20/18 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
“And I think what we put together is something that’s truthful. Because a lot of times you gotta be a really good liar to get a waiver OK’ed."

Either there was some deceit involved (lost her coach sob story, even though the player complained about her) or NCAA was sympathetic towards ND's injury situation (which wasn't that bad at the time).... or they just plain love ND more than other schools. Why wouldn't they love SC though.... Staley not kissing enough arse?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 01/20/18 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm sympathetic to Dawn's complaint about the length of time it's taking the NCAA to make a decision, but given the circumstances of Cooper's transfer, I don't see why the NCAA should be expected to grant this waiver.

linkster

PostPosted: 01/20/18 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just speculating but the NCAA may be waiting for information from Tenn and Tenn is taking their time providing it. I would guess that if the NCAA had all the necessary information they could process the request for a waiver in a day if they wanted.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/20/18 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why didn't she submit it three or four months ago? She decided late in the game she needed another warm body and now she's whining the NCAA didn't jump when she demanded it.

Has anyone ever had one of these granted in only one month after it was submitted?

Shades

PostPosted: 01/20/18 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She must have felt sacrificing the time during the pre-conference schedule would increase the odds of approval. The player has been out a season and a half, a good compromise between only being out a season (due to injury) and being out two seasons (a bit extreme).

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 01/20/18 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Why didn't she submit it three or four months ago? She decided late in the game she needed another warm body and now she's whining the NCAA didn't jump when she demanded it.

Has anyone ever had one of these granted in only one month after it was submitted?

Just speculating here, but it may be that Cooper needed a semester of good grades at SoCar for academic eligibility reasons. She was allegedly a marginal student at Tenn in addition to the disciplinary issues.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/20/18 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Given the players who have been getting waivers, Cooper should be a no-brainer, IMO. She was kicked off her team and literally couldn't have stayed there and played this year.

That's a lot different than someone who just wanted to be on a different team.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/20/18 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
She must have felt sacrificing the time during the pre-conference schedule would increase the odds of approval.

So you're saying, as you"re so fond of putting it, she was trying to "game the system", and it bit her in the ass.

Having waited, she's now pissed the NCAA didn't drop whatever else they were doing in order to take care of her immediately.

Nobody knows that the NCAA isn't going to approve it. The delay appears to be entirely of SCarolina's making.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/20/18 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Given the players who have been getting waivers, Cooper should be a no-brainer, IMO. She was kicked off her team and literally couldn't have stayed there and played this year.

Logically, yes, but I think traditionally they have frowned upon players who got kicked out for academic or conduct reasons. Just like the proposal to do away with the redshirt requirement is contingent on satisfactory grades and good standing.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 01/20/18 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

She actually wasn't kicked off the team. The school gave her the option of voluntarily transferring or facing disciplinary action for the fight on top of previous infractions. I don't see how that merits a no-brainer waiver.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/20/18 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It’s not about the injury, it’s about the damn “Bad coduct discharge”, if you want to call it that. Dawn is being disingenuous.

PostPosted: 01/21/18 2:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Just speculating but the NCAA may be waiting for information from Tenn and Tenn is taking their time providing it. I would guess that if the NCAA had all the necessary information they could process the request for a waiver in a day if they wanted.

I know that with the Shepard to ND situation, Nebraska was helpful in allowing it to happen. That could be a big difference.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 01/21/18 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tenn may not be able to release all the disciplinary info. I don't know exactly what took place, but isn't some of that kind of info sealed, particularly if it went to a disciplinary court or conduct committee?

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 01/21/18 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Compared to what goes on on the guys side, this is childs play.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 01/21/18 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

First off, Cooper was not dismissed from the team. She wasn't kicked out of school. There was no "bad conduct discharge". None of that ever happened - it's false narrative (a nice little term that's popular these days, like "fake news"). Now, that might have been something that was looming for Cooper had she chosen to stay at Tennessee and face a Conduct Review for her fight with Nared.

But it never got to that, and one can only speculate as to the outcome regardless. Cooper was given her free release with zero conditions or restrictions.

Secondly, IMO the NCAA hasn't been unfair to South Carolina regarding Cooper's waiver.......yet. We continue to compare Cooper's case with the case of Notre Dame's Shepard. It took from September to November - or about two months - for Shepard to be approved to play this season. At the time, there were plenty of hand-wringing from McGraw and questions from the ND fanbase as to why it was taking so long for a response from the NCAA. McGraw made the comments when the waiver was submitted, that they should expect a response in a matter of a week or so.

Staley's comments regarding Cooper's own waiver were very similar to McGraw's, using the ND case as an example, even though by that time everyone knew it to be different. It took two months for Shepard. But at the start of the season, Staley commented often that she was preparing to submit a waiver to the NCAA asking for Cooper to be waived to play immediately, due to her sitting out the previous season while at Tennessee on red-shirt.

But then Staley waited. For some reason she chose to wait until after the fall semester was over before submitting it. There was some comments and vague references to "the student-athlete experience", and of the transferring student-athlete having time to become acclimated to her new school, classes, environment.

So some speculated Staley waited a semester to allow for Cooper to acclimate herself to South Carolina's campus. Then Staley made comments about waiting for Cooper's grades before submitting the waiver. Was Cooper struggling in class? Would she be academically ineligible for the Spring Semester, and therefore render any waiver approval from the NCAA moot?

In any case, Staley submitted the waiver at the end of December. If Cooper's case followed Shepard's case to the letter, and everything else factoring outside of them were irrelevant, USC shouldn't hear any response from the NCAA until sometime in February. So I am not sure why Coach Staley keeps questioning the delay in a response on Cooper, if she's really using the Shepard/ND case as a point of reference. Otherwise, everything is still within the timeline.....

dtsnms

PostPosted: 01/22/18 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
First off, Cooper was not dismissed from the team. She wasn't kicked out of school. There was no "bad conduct discharge". None of that ever happened - it's false narrative (a nice little term that's popular these days, like "fake news"). Now, that might have been something that was looming for Cooper had she chosen to stay at Tennessee and face a Conduct Review for her fight with Nared.

But it never got to that, and one can only speculate as to the outcome regardless. Cooper was given her free release with zero conditions or restrictions.

Secondly, IMO the NCAA hasn't been unfair to South Carolina regarding Cooper's waiver.......yet. We continue to compare Cooper's case with the case of Notre Dame's Shepard. It took from September to November - or about two months - for Shepard to be approved to play this season. At the time, there were plenty of hand-wringing from McGraw and questions from the ND fanbase as to why it was taking so long for a response from the NCAA. McGraw made the comments when the waiver was submitted, that they should expect a response in a matter of a week or so.

Staley's comments regarding Cooper's own waiver were very similar to McGraw's, using the ND case as an example, even though by that time everyone knew it to be different. It took two months for Shepard. But at the start of the season, Staley commented often that she was preparing to submit a waiver to the NCAA asking for Cooper to be waived to play immediately, due to her sitting out the previous season while at Tennessee on red-shirt.

But then Staley waited. For some reason she chose to wait until after the fall semester was over before submitting it. There was some comments and vague references to "the student-athlete experience", and of the transferring student-athlete having time to become acclimated to her new school, classes, environment.

So some speculated Staley waited a semester to allow for Cooper to acclimate herself to South Carolina's campus. Then Staley made comments about waiting for Cooper's grades before submitting the waiver. Was Cooper struggling in class? Would she be academically ineligible for the Spring Semester, and therefore render any waiver approval from the NCAA moot?

In any case, Staley submitted the waiver at the end of December. If Cooper's case followed Shepard's case to the letter, and everything else factoring outside of them were irrelevant, USC shouldn't hear any response from the NCAA until sometime in February. So I am not sure why Coach Staley keeps questioning the delay in a response on Cooper, if she's really using the Shepard/ND case as a point of reference. Otherwise, everything is still within the timeline.....

In our early season podcast she said just that, she thought waiting until after the first semester to show academics, etc. would benefit.

Seriously though, there really is no reason why it should take this long to make a decision yes or no.

Phil

PostPosted: 01/22/18 9:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I trust it's obvious that Dawn has some connections to the NCAA. It's not like she's taken to twitter because she doesn't know who to call.

Which means her twitter comments are not about directly communicating with the NCAA, but trying to garner public support for her position and possibly hoping that public pressure will move the NCAA to act.

What I can't quite figure out is whether this is a clever move or too clever by half. I'm leaning toward the latter. If the NCAA is disposed to responding positively but just has been dragging their feet, coming out in favor now is going to look like the cave to public pressure and it will open the floodgates for the next situation. If anything, that would encourage them to either disallow it or dried the feet even longer.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/22/18 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:

<bunch of stuff snipped for brevity's sake>

In our early season podcast she said just that, she thought waiting until after the first semester to show academics, etc. would benefit.

Seriously though, there really is no reason why it should take this long to make a decision yes or no.

No, Cooper was not kicked out of school...but she likely would have been. My former connections to the disciplinary board tell me that this is exactly what would have happened. I'm pretty sure there was some other stuff besides the fight. She'd been in trouble with the Disciplinary Board before, remember? I told you it wasn't her first offense. This was why she was on the verge of being dismissed from school and had already lost her scholarship. She got off easy, seriously. There are athletes who have been dismissed from UT for less.

Dawn is playing the publicity game here. She thinks by garnering public sympathy she can get a release. I doubt it will happen. Shepard had the coach thing, but AFAIK she had no behavioral or grade issues. Dawn would be better served by shutting up and letting the NCAA do whatever it's going to do.....and I think what it's going to do is nothing. Cooper will be eligible next year. Why would they grant her eligibility now, and waste a whole year?

PostPosted: 01/22/18 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So I am like confused, in my valley girl voice, why wasn't Nared involved in any disciplinary action, it takes 2 to tango?

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 01/22/18 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cooper allegedly started the fight, and Nared didn't have previous disciplinary problems like Cooper did. Also, the fight was filmed and the coaches reportedly had access to it so I would assume they had good reason for whatever actions they took.

linkster

PostPosted: 01/24/18 2:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:

<bunch of stuff snipped for brevity's sake>

No, Cooper was not kicked out of school...but she likely would have been. My former connections to the disciplinary board tell me that this is exactly what would have happened. I'm pretty sure there was some other stuff besides the fight. She'd been in trouble with the Disciplinary Board before, remember? I told you it wasn't her first offense. This was why she was on the verge of being dismissed from school and had already lost her scholarship. She got off easy, seriously. There are athletes who have been dismissed from UT for less.

Dawn is playing the publicity game here. She thinks by garnering public sympathy she can get a release. I doubt it will happen. Shepard had the coach thing, but AFAIK she had no behavioral or grade issues. Dawn would be better served by shutting up and letting the NCAA do whatever it's going to do.....and I think what it's going to do is nothing. Cooper will be eligible next year. Why would they grant her eligibility now, and waste a whole year?

The waiver request is an administrative issue and administratively Cooper left in good standing. Second, she will in all likelihood lose a year. She has already had a redshirt season and a 6th year is not guaranteed. I have no problem with Cooper graduating with only 2 years of BB. Not every athlete is interested in multiple degrees and some simply haven't the capability. There is no way it takes 2 months to process one of these requests. Having worked in government for over 30 years I have seen 2 month processes squeezed into 8 hours when there was a will to do so.

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 01/24/18 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Perhaps Dawn should pay off the NCAA like Muppet did.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 01/25/18 7:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

South Carolina got their response from the NCAA: waiver request denied, no explanation forthcoming.....

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 01/25/18 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Need to switch you jersey colors to green Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: