RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Tulsa @ #1 Connecticut 1/18/18 7:00 PM ET SNY/ESPN3
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/19/18 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The play of the bench wasn't the only problem or even the main problem, as I saw it.

The starters built a 15 point lead in the first quarter. The bench maintained that 15 point lead in the second. Apparently, that was unsatisfactory to Geno at the half, because he trashed the bench and said he was going back the the starters for the third quarter. But the starters, or combinations of the starters and bench in the fourth quarter, never extended the 15 point margin, except by a meaningless two points in the third quarter and one more in the fourth.

Of course, both Louconn and the Fez were on the bench with injuries for much of the second half, but still, no combination of players played well after the first quarter.
sigur3

PostPosted: 01/19/18 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
Players handled the interviews well.

Do we have a link for that as well?

pilight

PostPosted: 01/19/18 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
Don't forget CD's shin splints.

UConn is hanging on by a thread. I wonder if the FF is in their future this year.

I'm glad it's mid-Jan and not mid-March.

the reality is that hanging by a thread or not, there isn't a better team in the country. life is tough for a UConn fan of course, but no, we ain't gonna feel sorry for you.

Yeah, all the hand wringing because their top ranked, undefeated team only won by 18 points is a little much.

PostPosted: 01/19/18 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you don't PLAY your bench in games, they will have no idea how to play in games. It's that simple. Practice ain't games, just like leggings ain't pants. If you play them in games, in that cupcake league, they will LEARN. I mean, geez, UConn still won by 18 instead of 30 or 50. And IMNSHO, it's kind of tacky to talk about your team that way in public. If Coach P used the same words, we'd sure be hearing about it....

PostPosted: 01/19/18 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
myrtle wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

UConn is hanging on by a thread. I wonder if the FF is in their future this year.

the reality is that hanging by a thread or not, there isn't a better team in the country. life is tough for a UConn fan of course, but no, we ain't gonna feel sorry for you.

Yeah, all the hand wringing because their top ranked, undefeated team only won by 18 points is a little much.

Don't think anyone has a woe is me attitude just pragmatically looking at the team, looking at the nagging injuries, looking at the obvious intent for the whole sale substitution in the second quarter, looking at the need for some of the players to step up off the bench to spell the starters with the aforementioned nagging injuries. Looking at Stevens need to learn how to defend, looking at the big picture which is getting to the FF and winning the NC with the thought in mind is this team as presently constituted able to do that. Unknown. They are not performing to the level or preseason expectations, but maybe this is who they are. No whining, just honest observations of my team. I think as I said before would not be surprised if in the tournament a ND, MSST, Louisville, SC Baylor or Texas beat them. I believe there is more parity than people realize.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 01/19/18 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
pilight wrote:
myrtle wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

Don't think anyone has a woe is me attitude just pragmatically looking at the team, looking at the nagging injuries, looking at the obvious intent for the whole sale substitution in the second quarter, looking at the need for some of the players to step up off the bench to spell the starters with the aforementioned nagging injuries. Looking at Stevens need to learn how to defend, looking at the big picture which is getting to the FF and winning the NC with the thought in mind is this team as presently constituted able to do that. Unknown. They are not performing to the level or preseason expectations, but maybe this is who they are. No whining, just honest observations of my team. I think as I said before would not be surprised if in the tournament a ND, MSST, Louisville, SC Baylor or Texas beat them. I believe there is more parity than people realize.

Some non-UConn fans can't seem to grasp this. Shocked

PostPosted: 01/19/18 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
If you don't PLAY your bench in games, they will have no idea how to play in games. It's that simple. Practice ain't games, just like leggings ain't pants. If you play them in games, in that cupcake league, they will LEARN. I mean, geez, UConn still won by 18 instead of 30 or 50. And IMNSHO, it's kind of tacky to talk about your team that way in public. If Coach P used the same words, we'd sure be hearing about it....

I'm sure Geno will take note of your awesome coaching advice about the bench. That was amazing insight. I mean, what does a Hall of Fame coach with 11 national titles know about coaching, anyway?

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/19/18 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:
pilight wrote:
myrtle wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

Some non-UConn fans can't seem to grasp this. Shocked

Where is Sueologist, or was is Sueoglist, when we need him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: