RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2018 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 91, 92, 93  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 01/15/18 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

When I read the comments before looking at the list, I thought the projections would be really out of left field. In actuality, this looks better than most any I've seen.

Looks about the same as what's been said here... usual suspect players, anyway. Russell to Dallas, where have I heard that before?

I'd swap Vadeeva and Gabby's positions in this mock. Why would Chicago want her? Makes no sense. Overloaded position if Coates is playing. Thibault would be the first one intrigued by a foreign prospect, Agler second, Reeve third.

But if Vadeeva were to come out with a statement like she's really enthused about playing in the WNBA and would like to play there every year, then maybe Pokey would give her a look? Pokey used to coach in Russia. She might have some Russian connections to get the full scoop on Vadeeva, and she might have picked up a little on the language.

I'm not sure why coaches and GM's would even want to participate in this mock, even if it is done anonymously. Why would they want to give hints or tips to the opposition?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Iluvacc

PostPosted: 01/15/18 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:
Lexie Brown has definitely impressed me this season. I'd definitely take her as the first guard in the draft ahead of Canada.

You mean the first guard after Mitchell... only if you don't consider DeShields a guard? I consider her a big guard.

Crap, I forgot about Kelsey. Yeah, I don’t consider Diamond a guard.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/15/18 11:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Anyone wants to see a prime example of why Gabby cannot play post in the W, see Tonight's game vs Texas.

Gabby In a Pick & Roll on offense as the ball handler also was a Shocked and did not last long. Her effort is undeniable though but she will NOT be the next Tamika Catchings in no way or form.

PostPosted: 01/16/18 1:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So I still like Vadeeva in LA and could see Agler liking her. Vadeeva is currently playing with N. Ogwumike in Russia.

I basically came up with this after seeing Vadeeva at #4 in the above mock as well as at #2 on someone's mock. (TBH I though she was a safe bet at #11 or #12.)

If Vadeeva was willing to come over and it was a risk someone would draft her before #11 would a trade with Chicago work.

Lavender or Lavender and #11 for #4

LA can draft Vadeeva at #4 and eases some cap by trading Lavender and Chicago still get the player they want at #3 and gets a large, experienced post who can play PF or C and pair well with Dolson, maybe? If I'm LA I try to keep #11 if I'm Chicago I try and get it thrown in. Is this a trade Chicago fans or LA fans would like? Is Vadeeva worth it?

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 01/16/18 1:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Should Chicago trade a lottery pick for Lavender? Nope!

PostPosted: 01/16/18 1:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
So I still like Vadeeva in LA and could see Agler liking her. Vadeeva is currently playing with N. Ogwumike in Russia.

I basically came up with this after seeing Vadeeva at #4 in the above mock as well as at #2 on someone's mock. (TBH I though she was a safe bet at #11 or #12.)

If Vadeeva was willing to come over and it was a risk someone would draft her before #11 would a trade with Chicago work.

Lavender or Lavender and #11 for #4

LA can draft Vadeeva at #4 and eases some cap by trading Lavender and Chicago still get the player they want at #3 and gets a large, experienced post who can play PF or C and pair well with Dolson, maybe? If I'm LA I try to keep #11 if I'm Chicago I try and get it thrown in. Is this a trade Chicago fans or LA fans would like? Is Vadeeva worth it?

I could see Agler liking her too. And then giving her meaningful minutes in about 2026.

PostPosted: 01/16/18 2:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No no luuc you mean 2028 after shes been waived and resigned twice for overseas flavor!

PostPosted: 01/16/18 2:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wonder if whoever takes Vadeeva tries to grab Musina later on as well. It'd be a slight extra risk not giving the fan base any American rookie to latch onto at all, and potentially not getting any immediate returns from the class, but bringing them over as a pair could work out well for everybody.

PostPosted: 01/16/18 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, is Ariel Atkins being overlooked?

Looking at the non-lottery 2/3s in the AP's Coaches and GM first round, should Lexie Brown, Gabby Williams, Jordin Canada, Kia Nurse and Victoria Vivians all be in the first round but not Atkins?

I think if I added Atkins to that pool, right now (and not just based on last night) I would take Atkins at least third or fourth out of that group of six.

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 01/16/18 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
If Anyone wants to see a prime example of why Gabby cannot play post in the W, see Tonight's game vs Texas.

Gabby In a Pick & Roll on offense as the ball handler also was a Shocked and did not last long. Her effort is undeniable though but she will NOT be the next Tamika Catchings in no way or form.

I had been calling Gabby the female version of Kawhi Leonard, but if she is truly an undersized post at the next level, with her passing ability and bit of nasty she plays with Draymond Green might be a better comparison. I still think she could have success playing with Stefanie Dolson and Jessica Breland, tow players who can stretch the floor at the 4 and 5 spot.

She had some good moments vs White, and Holmes, and she had super Human moments last year vs Turner from ND, all should be future pros, unless Big T is coming out early, I think Williams is the 2nd best post in the draft behind Wilson if you want to label her a post.
RavenDog

PostPosted: 01/16/18 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Looking at the non-lottery 2/3s in the AP's Coaches and GM first round, should Lexie Brown, Gabby Williams, Jordin Canada, Kia Nurse and Victoria Vivians all be in the first round but not Atkins?

I think if I added Atkins to that pool, right now (and not just based on last night) I would take Atkins at least third or fourth out of that group of six.

I'm not overlooking Atkins, but I'm a longtime STH and have had the advantage of watching her a lot throughout her career at Texas. Excluding Canada, because she's strictly a PG, any one the remaining four players noted might fit better on a particular team, depending upon that team's make up/need, as each of the four players differ enough in distinction.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/16/18 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Wonder if whoever takes Vadeeva tries to grab Musina later on as well. It'd be a slight extra risk not giving the fan base any American rookie to latch onto at all, and potentially not getting any immediate returns from the class, but bringing them over as a pair could work out well for everybody.

I've thinking the exact same thing. Musina seems better with the English, and maybe as a pair the WNBA experience wouldn't be as intimidating.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
RavenDog

PostPosted: 01/16/18 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
RavenDog wrote:
In all fairness to Gabby Williams shooting range, she is not permitted by Geno to shoot 3's. Proscribed, not allowed, barred, forbidden, nada etc...

She made one in the preseason...

She and Nurse shooting 100% from 3!!! Laughing

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/16/18 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

I'm not overlooking Atkins, but I'm a longtime STH and have had the advantage of watching her a lot throughout her career at Texas. Excluding Canada, because she's strictly a PG, any one the remaining four players noted might fit better on a particular team, depending upon that team's make up/need, as each of the four players differ enough in distinction.

She seems to be playing better and more consistently this year, rather than just showing inconsistent flashes of talent as in the past. I think she's a pure guard, and is too short to play the 3, but I could see her playing a role like Gray does for Dallas. She may have fewer shortcomings than any of the others, except perhaps Vivians. I don't think picking her in the first 8 or 10 would be a reach at all.

awhom111

PostPosted: 01/17/18 9:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

Where do we think Musina would get drafted? Her club situation makes it a little tricky to properly evaluate her. Phoenix should try this if Vadeeva's available. Assuming that Olaf stays as Russia coach and he's just leaving his club job, it's about time we had some Olaf-Sandy collusion. Do we expect a giant contingent of Aussies at the Mercy this year?

The international prospect who has had a good start to 2018 is Alexia Chartereau and it will be interesting to see playing time distribution once Hamblin is playing for Bourges. Would anyone take the over on 4.5 internationals drafted?
Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/17/18 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
Would anyone take the over on 4.5 internationals drafted?

Vadeeva, Park, Musina, Chartereau and a random Aussie (or left-field Euro) certainly seems possible. But we've also often seen foreign players that seemed thorougly draftable float through unmentioned. Once you hit the third round, virtually anything's possible.

I hadn't realised that Russia had resorted to Lange as their head coach. Kinda amusing that they gave him the spot in the year when UMMC started the season in a bit of a mess and losing more games than they've come to expect. And a weird situation where he'll have to use players for the national team that only grudgingly get minutes at UMMC when the rules force him to play them (or they're up by 40).

Keep forgetting that Russia have continued being so inept that I won't even get to watch Vadeeva, Musina et al in Tenerife in September...

PostPosted: 01/17/18 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Where do we think Musina would get drafted? Her club situation makes it a little tricky to properly evaluate her. Phoenix should try this if Vadeeva's available. Assuming that Olaf stays as Russia coach and he's just leaving his club job, it's about time we had some Olaf-Sandy collusion. Do we expect a giant contingent of Aussies at the Mercy this year?

The international prospect who has had a good start to 2018 is Alexia Chartereau and it will be interesting to see playing time distribution once Hamblin is playing for Bourges. Would anyone take the over on 4.5 internationals drafted?

I wouldn't bet on it. Ezi Megbor is a W lock whenever she becomes eligible. That i will bet my house on for sure!

PostPosted: 01/18/18 8:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
RavenDog wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

She seems to be playing better and more consistently this year, rather than just showing inconsistent flashes of talent as in the past. I think she's a pure guard, and is too short to play the 3, but I could see her playing a role like Gray does for Dallas. She may have fewer shortcomings than any of the others, except perhaps Vivians. I don't think picking her in the first 8 or 10 would be a reach at all.

Agree, I believe she's more of a 2 guard and she is slightly less in height than the stated 5'11"". Hard worker, disciplined, left handed, good defender, athletic, fast, intelligent, very coachable, unselfish, and is non problematic. My guess too would be early second round or end of first, depending upon the multitude of factors present and evident this year.

ClayK

PostPosted: 01/18/18 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So is there any indication at all that Vadeeva is interested in a long-term commitment to the WNBA? Has she or her agent said anything about coming to the U.S. this year, or for several years? Is there any indication she would play for a WNBA team even if the Russian team were more successful and demanded her presence?

PostPosted: 01/18/18 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
So is there any indication at all that Vadeeva is interested in a long-term commitment to the WNBA? Has she or her agent said anything about coming to the U.S. this year, or for several years? Is there any indication she would play for a WNBA team even if the Russian team were more successful and demanded her presence?

I can see a lot reasons why she wouldn't want to come over. Like a lot American players who play in or for Russia she would be arriving to camp late, likwly have to take off during the season and I presume take a huge pay cut to come to the WNBA. Add on top of that losing the off-season for rest and living life along with the greater chance of injury. I suppose if she were convinced it would help her game she might, but that's the only reason I can see.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/18/18 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Not publically. But bear in mind that teams/coaches/GMs wouldn't be considering her anywhere close to the lottery unless they had some indication that she was going to come and play (likely pretty much immediately - maybe 2019 at the latest). She's good, and she's young, but we're not talking the Russian Brittney Griner in a game-changing kind of way. So the basic fact that teams are talking about her potentially going that high, suggests that things have been communicated. At least a little.

Last edited by Richyyy on 01/18/18 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/18/18 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

Not pubically.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Call me immature.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/18/18 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Not pubically.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Call me immature.

Damn keyboard. Smile

PostPosted: 01/18/18 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
awhom111 wrote:
Would anyone take the over on 4.5 internationals drafted?

Vadeeva, Park, Musina, Chartereau and a random Aussie (or left-field Euro) certainly seems possible. But we've also often seen foreign players that seemed thorougly draftable float through unmentioned. Once you hit the third round, virtually anything's possible.

I hadn't realised that Russia had resorted to Lange as their head coach. Kinda amusing that they gave him the spot in the year when UMMC started the season in a bit of a mess and losing more games than they've come to expect. And a weird situation where he'll have to use players for the national team that only grudgingly get minutes at UMMC when the rules force him to play them (or they're up by 40).

Keep forgetting that Russia have continued being so inept that I won't even get to watch Vadeeva, Musina et al in Tenerife in September...

Well, their ineptitude kind of makes this summer the best year for both of them to come over. Turning down the WNBA to play in the European U20 Championship would be interesting. It will still be a test for them to play in the summer of 2020 though.

WNBA 09 wrote:
I wouldn't bet on it. Ezi Megbor is a W lock whenever she becomes eligible. That i will bet my house on for sure!

Magbegor still has a tough decision about whether to stay as an international or to come here and switch classifications, which would push her back at least two drafts. 2019 is also shaping up to be a year where we could have a bumper crop of international draftees (although still not one where we would expect a bunch to come over). Early names besides Magbegor include Conti, Brcaninovic, Pouye, and Li.
zune69

PostPosted: 01/19/18 12:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nurse has really won me over.Kia's three point accuracy has really improved her chances of being a legit WNBA rotation player.She's not the biggest shooting guard.But I can run off a long list of SG's that are smaller.The way things are playing out,Kia could end up having a better WNBA career than Gabby.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 91, 92, 93  Next
Page 40 of 93

Jump to: