RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#1 UCONN @ #7 TEXAS 1/15/17 espn2 7pm
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/16/18 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Queenie wrote:
I was shaking my head so hard at Texas's endgame execution, or sore lack thereof, that I damn near gave myself whiplash. No clock awareness. No shot selection. No ball thought. C'mon, Horns.

Me too. But I also didn’t think UConn looked much like a #1 team tonight. Top ten, yeah, but tey looked like they could be had, and if they don’t clean up their game, they will be.

You're a little more than a year late, but welcome to the party.

Yeah, and last year they had a couple players they don't have this year but they're still ranked #1. Easier to get, if you look at last night's game.

PostPosted: 01/16/18 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Howee wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Minimally coached, poorly disciplined teams typically fare especially poorly against UConn.

Phew! Good thing Texas wasn't one of THOSE! Shocked Razz Laughing

This was a fine game, imo, with either team doing their best to exploit the weaknesses of the other. That's the X/O, coaching part of it. TX's defense was stellar, for 90-some percent of the game. UConn's D & O were both typically strong and durable enough to prevail. Well-played by both.

I do believe Aston has proven she can coach with the best of 'em, if not with the same consistency. (....just YET!!) Cool

I pretty sure she confirmed my point last night.

....you mean the one atop your head? Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing

Your determined disdain for any coach not named Muff is delicious. Aston could have won that game by 4 points last night, coaching just as she did, but then, of course, she's MARVELOUS, right? Win or lose, her coaching was outstanding, and she fared better than Muff did against Geno.

She. Is. Good. <Big Kiss!> Cool

To have assembled, trained and coached a team that played like they did last night against the #1 team is not Luck, or a fluke. That people think they can attribute her loss to coaching mistakes is as limited and short-sighted as to think UConn's less-than-stellar play was caused by Geno's shortcomings. UConn's flaws were caused by Texas' strategies, and Texas' flaws were capitalized on by UConn. Why is it so difficult for people to concede that BOTH teams/coaches did an excellent job that produced an exciting game? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 01/16/18 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
She ran into her elbow its basketball . Take a hit and keep moving ask Katie Smith.

The Texas player was moving with her arm extended horizontally. She swung her arm out to defend and in doing so impeded Samuelson's freedom of movement. The fact that she hit her in the head causing swelling and turning her eye purple makes it excessive. It's a foul. If nothing else it's using an arm bar.

Even Lobo on the broadcast said it was more like KLS ran into the arm than that the arm swung at her. There is a difference. I actually thought Goudreau was turning away from KLS when the collision occurred but admit I didn't go back and re-play it over and over to see exactly. While I don't like a player to get hurt, I also think they use that excessive shit call way too often. By your definition, if someone dives on the floor and hits another player's knee, that's a foul on the one belonging to the knee.

- Amanda Gorman
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 01/16/18 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Howee wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Minimally coached, poorly disciplined teams typically fare especially poorly against UConn.

Phew! Good thing Texas wasn't one of THOSE! Shocked Razz Laughing

This was a fine game, imo, with either team doing their best to exploit the weaknesses of the other. That's the X/O, coaching part of it. TX's defense was stellar, for 90-some percent of the game. UConn's D & O were both typically strong and durable enough to prevail. Well-played by both.

I do believe Aston has proven she can coach with the best of 'em, if not with the same consistency. (....just YET!!) Cool

I pretty sure she confirmed my point last night.

....you mean the one atop your head? Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing

Your determined disdain for any coach not named Muff is delicious. Aston could have won that game by 4 points last night, coaching just as she did, but then, of course, she's MARVELOUS, right? Win or lose, her coaching was outstanding, and she fared better than Muff did against Geno.

She. Is. Good. <Big Kiss!> Cool

To have assembled, trained and coached a team that played like they did last night against the #1 team is not Luck, or a fluke. That people think they can attribute her loss to coaching mistakes is as limited and short-sighted as to think UConn's less-than-stellar play was caused by Geno's shortcomings. UConn's flaws were caused by Texas' strategies, and Texas' flaws were capitalized on by UConn. Why is it so difficult for people to concede that BOTH teams/coaches did an excellent job that produced an exciting game? Rolling Eyes

Had UConn shot their seasonal FT% average, they would have lost.

PostPosted: 01/16/18 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
linkster wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
She ran into her elbow its basketball . Take a hit and keep moving ask Katie Smith.

The Texas player was moving with her arm extended horizontally. She swung her arm out to defend and in doing so impeded Samuelson's freedom of movement. The fact that she hit her in the head causing swelling and turning her eye purple makes it excessive. It's a foul. If nothing else it's using an arm bar.

Even Lobo on the broadcast said it was more like KLS ran into the arm than that the arm swung at her. There is a difference. I actually thought Goudreau was turning away from KLS when the collision occurred but admit I didn't go back and re-play it over and over to see exactly. While I don't like a player to get hurt, I also think they use that excessive shit call way too often. By your definition, if someone dives on the floor and hits another player's knee, that's a foul on the one belonging to the knee.

They really didn't show the replay from a good angle. I watched it several times late last night and while Samuelson did move, it was the defender who moved more towards KLS. Watch it a couple of times and then tell me that the Texas player was stationary. And that is irrelevant because the defender had her arms at shoulder height & expended, was moving, and hit the defender in the face, which is not a legal way to defend against a secondary defender. If it was legal then every defender in the paint could just stick their arm out and closeline a cutter running through the lane, as long as the cutter ran into the arm.

mikeyc22

PostPosted: 01/16/18 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Different angle than the one they showed during the game

https://twitter.com/motherjones38/status/953090440630120448

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/16/18 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So Geno said after the game, “Our guys play too many minutes, that’s all there is to it. It’s not their fault. I’ve got to figure out a way to rectify that.”

Well, you know, there is a way—PLAY them! You’ve got a schedule full of cupcakes, pretty much, and they don’t know how to play in a game unless they do, so let ‘em play, every last one of them, until they get used to it. What are you afraid of, that you might lose a game, or not win by 50 or 70 points? Or God forbid, that they might make mistakes in a game or not look perfect? And that might reflect on who or what?

PostPosted: 01/16/18 10:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Can we just talk about Lou's eye, the completely missed foul on Gudreau by the refs, and the fact that had a UCONN player caused a black eye like to another team's player, there would be outrage on this board? I thought no matter what, when a player was hit above the neck, they were supposed to go to the monitors?!? She got decked! And it was a foul.

Her eye was purple and almost swollen shut by the second half.

Yes Art, you can blame Lou's flopping and vehemently state that it was her fault and there is no way the refs should've stopped play....and then in a ND thread if the exact same thing happens, berate the officials and then talk about how UCONN would get away with it.

I wondered what the F you were babbling about. But now that I see Mickeyc's video I now understand your idiotic trolling of me as usual has it completely wrong. That wasn't the play my Samuelson flop post was about. I didn't even see the first quarter last night and had never seen the "black eye" play before I saw the video in that post tonight. My post was referring to the total dive on to the floor by Samuelson at 5:11 of the second quarter, which occurred almost a half hour later, as is obvious from the time of my post. Congratulations. You got it entirely wrong once again. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

linkster

PostPosted: 01/16/18 11:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

Everything you say is true but what was Aston doing in the Tenn or TCU games? Where was the brilliant game plan and more importantly where was the leadership in getting her team psyched to play at a high level? Does it take 11,000 home fans and UConn to get them to play like that?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/16/18 11:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Howee wrote:

Everything you say is true but what was Aston doing in the Tenn or TCU games? Where was the brilliant game plan and more importantly where was the leadership in getting her team psyched to play at a high level? Does it take 11,000 home fans and UConn to get them to play like that?

Howee should direct his complaints to Lobo and Lawson who trashed Texas's consistently assinine shot selection repeatedly during the game. E.g. Lawson - "just because you can make a three point shot doesn't give you Iicense to take it whenever you want, and those were poor shots on two straight possessions by Texas.. . . .You've got to be smart in the type of shots you take if you're Texas."
They weren't. But I guess taking dumb, rushed shots was part of Aston's brilliant game plan. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I assume Howee must be a cousin of Aston. There's no other possible explanation.

Howee

PostPosted: 01/17/18 1:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Howee wrote:

Refer back to my excerpt you quoted for your own solution: "BOTH teams/coaches did an excellent job that produced an exciting game" Those were well-played, exciting games. That Karen didn't win them doesn't illustrate any point that she's a deficient coach. Damn! She's lost 3 games by a TOTAL of 10 points.

ArtBest23 wrote:
I assume Howee must be a cousin of Aston. There's no other possible explanation.
Cousin? I'm her MOTHER!! (....and the point gets point-ier Laughing )

PostPosted: 01/17/18 1:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Refer back to my excerpt you quoted for your own solution: "BOTH teams/coaches did an excellent job that produced an exciting game" Those were well-played, exciting games. That Karen didn't win them doesn't illustrate any point that she's a deficient coach. Damn! She's lost 3 games by a TOTAL of 10 points.
[

If you think the Texas-Tenn game was well-played we are seeing different games.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 01/17/18 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh man I just got home, iced in plane but it was worth the trip. Some nice free courtside seats from my TX buddies, thank you kindly.

What a game. For anyone who really appreciates the game, this was worth it. Good points Howee. Shame bitter biases can't just accept a game of punches and counter punches, sorry Uconn for that reference but that was a mean black eye.

Hey I would take a game like this everyday of the week rather than that pathetic showing by Notre Dame. The stadium was rocking.

There were many missed and bad calls as usual but what can we expect from who the refs were Laughing Myrtle as to your post, Stanford 101 defense beat the guard to the spot over the pick, that was actually a good call by the ref. The TX guard should have rejected the pick but instead tried to keep forcing it even though the Uconn defender had already anticipated her move, which made the post pinch with her lower body, Kayl gets called for this all the time as our guards don't take the defender down before trying to use the pick.

I love the back and forth in games like this. Thats the best game I have seen TX play, probably not Uconn best but they have a couple of players who seem to have learned from the MissSt game and won't be punched without punching back.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 01/17/18 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
linkster wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

except Lobo apologized the next day and said she made a mistake on the black eye play.

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 01/17/18 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LouConn is a good player who can really score, but I'm still not seeing anything that makes her one of the UConn greats, she doesn't really have take over ability, doesn't seem to be that clutch, and has sort of disappeared in most of the big NCAA games.

Also when was the last time Geno used a number 1 recruit so poorly? is Walker not that good? or is she in Geno's dog house? would hate to see her not get in vs South Carolina and Dawn say come here we need you.
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 01/17/18 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
myrtle wrote:
linkster wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

except Lobo apologized the next day and said she made a mistake on the black eye play.

if only we knew her motivation.

PostPosted: 01/17/18 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am not very good with posting clips or pics but there are some real good ones out there. I wish there was a Charlie Brown emoji as I would use it every time #Occasional posted it’s the same trash over and over, Wah Wah Wah
This was a great game and I too wish we could see more like it. Some great plays by both teams in front of a huge crowd.

Davis4632

PostPosted: 01/18/18 12:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:
Williams is useless rebounding when she has to lay her body on Holmes. She needs to be free to jump.

And somehow people think that her height won't be an issue to her playing power forward in the WNBA.

Jumping has never been a substitute for height in basketball.

Who has ever said Williams is a full time 4 in the WNBA? Everyone has pretty much agreed she will have to be a SF.

Not everyone. I recently read a post that said she was the 2nd best post player in the 2018 draft.

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 01/18/18 8:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:
Williams is useless rebounding when she has to lay her body on Holmes. She needs to be free to jump.

And somehow people think that her height won't be an issue to her playing power forward in the WNBA.

Who has ever said Williams is a full time 4 in the WNBA? Everyone has pretty much agreed she will have to be a SF.

Not everyone. I recently read a post that said she was the 2nd best post player in the 2018 draft.

If you want to count her as a post, I would like to see her make the jump to the wing as well.
#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 01/18/18 8:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:

If you want to count her as a post, I would like to see her make the jump to the wing as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: