RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Atlanta Dream 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 12/21/17 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
As head coach at Wake Forest, Petersen won 125 games and was the program’s all-time winningest coach. Prior to joining the Demon Deacons, Peterson served five years on the Minnesota Gophers men’s basketball staff, including four years as associate head coach.

“Mike has had great success as a head coach and assistant coach on the women’s and men’s side in the collegiate game at many levels,” Collen added. “He is a great offensive mind but above that his energy and enthusiasm for the game are what separated him from other candidates.”

Kinda sounds like she was looking for another Curt Miller.

The guy has a decent resume. Not sure why he's available for job like this. Might have to do some vetting on that. It's important to have good assistants.

I can imagine Reeve without good assistants. Not a pretty picture.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Randy

PostPosted: 12/21/17 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Could be a mistake on her part - never hire someone who is well qualified to replace you, if things go to hell it is too easy to get fired that way. Razz But them again, she doesn't seem to stay anywhere for long. If she has a great year or two with the Dream, I would expect her to look for the opportunity to move up to a better job (e.g. Stef White).

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 12/21/17 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does anyone besides me take offense to the notion that a job as the head coach of a second-rate Division I school is considered a "better job" than coaching in the WNBA?

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 12/21/17 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Does anyone besides me take offense to the notion that a job as the head coach of a second-rate Division I school is considered a "better job" than coaching in the WNBA?

+1 ... The same could kind of be said for the NBA vs MCBB . Job Security means everything to a HC . In the pro's its win or your fired within a year or 2. Colleges normally give you a nice period of time before they give you a pink slip.

PostPosted: 12/21/17 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:

WNBA assistant coaches don't make that much and the job isn't that stable (although it can be at the right team). The Aces put out an ad for $45K/yr. So I wonder if this is a side job to his NBA scouting job, but I would think that'd be a full time job.

Steph White gets buckets of money for head coaching at second rate Vanderbilt. She left a WNBA head coaching job for that gig.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/21/17 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
WNBA assistant coaches don't make that much and the job isn't that stable (although it can be at the right team).

Joe Ciampi was reportedly making $100k/year as a WNBA assistant

PostPosted: 12/21/17 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cwYqdn6E1bw" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 12/21/17 6:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

WNBA assistant coaches don't make that much and the job isn't that stable (although it can be at the right team). The Aces put out an ad for $45K/yr. So I wonder if this is a side job to his NBA scouting job, but I would think that'd be a full time job.

Steph White gets buckets of money for head coaching at second rate Vanderbilt. She left a WNBA head coaching job for that gig.

I feel like you read my post, and then decided to reply to something else entirely, like someone else is posting in invisible ink. I didn't ask why the college gig is considered a better job; I already know why. I'm offended that it's considered a better job. Just objectively speaking, coaching in college should not be thought of as a "step up" from coaching in the pros.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
pilight

PostPosted: 12/27/17 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dream Round Out Coaching Staff with Darius Taylor

http://dream.wnba.com/news/atlanta-dream-round-coaching-staff-darius-taylor/

Quote:
Most recently, Taylor has served as an Advisor for AthLife, Inc., an organization specializing in providing career and education services for professional and post-professional athletes

PostPosted: 12/27/17 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's the most interesting thing to you?

Quote:
“Darius has a very calm demeanor and his background helping professional athletes navigate life after pro sports gives him a quality that I know our Dream players will greatly respect. His strength in the player development area is something I identified as a need for our team and his work ethic matches what I want to model for our team.”

Interesting coaching staff ATL has put together. Hard to say for sure at this point, but I'll rate it an upgrade from last year.

The GM? Meh. He's good for rubber stamping, I guess.

What happened to his excuse for leaving the Sun?

Last edited by Shades on 12/29/17 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Badger_Ball

PostPosted: 12/29/17 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if Mr. Taylor’s history with Candice Dupree at Temple may be enough for her to entertain signing with Atlanta. Atlanta would seem to have the assets to also swing a trade for Bonner from PHX.

Randy

PostPosted: 12/29/17 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not that what I think matters, but I'm not interested in Bonner or DuPre. Both are good players, but I hate to see the Dream throw away the future for players that are all as old or older than Angel. Even with those 2 Dream would not be a contender.

Now, if they could be gotten as UFA's, then ok. The problem is that Dream have not signed top UFA ever, unless you count one season at the tail end of Holdclaw career.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/03/18 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Decisions, Decisions: Darius Taylor returns to the bench to join Atlanta Dream coaching staff

https://www.theatlantavoice.com/articles/decisions-decisions-darius-taylor-returns-to-the-bench-to-join-atlanta-dream-coaching-staff/

Quote:
Following the University of South Carolina Gamecocks women’s basketball team’s Final Four appearance in 2015, Taylor, then an assistant coach on Dawn Staley’s staff, made the toughest decision of his career to date. He left. Taylor didn’t leave for the greener pastures of a bigger program, though now there is arguably no women’s program bigger and better than the reigning national champions.

Taylor left the program so that his wife, current University of Georgia head women’s basketball coach Joni Taylor, could fulfill her dream of becoming a head coach without any friction.

“I stepped away from collegiate coaching to be around and support my wife’s first head coaching job,” said Taylor by phone. Being an opportunity within the Southeastern Conference, Darius and Joni would have been recruiting the same players and coaching against one another in the same conference.

Quote:
After accepting the job with the Dream and getting back into coaching full-time he says, “I’m really excited and really looking forward to helping make the Dream a championship contender again.” During his break from the game Taylor did coach some AAU ball in Athens and Atlanta, started a basketball skill development training company and became a licensed realtor. “In a way all of it still came back to coaching,” said Taylor.

The balancing act that is having two coaches in the family will require another set of decisions that the Taylors will have to approach when the time comes. After all, July is prime time for college basketball recruiting, and just so happens to fall in the middle of the WNBA season.

“We will just make it work,” says Taylor of the future disruptions. “We both know the business, we’re use to the grind and always find ways to put our marriage first.”

BamaEd

PostPosted: 01/04/18 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, duh me. I should have realized or read more that this was Joni's husband. Good for them. She was one of my favorite players at Alabama. Very solid, good defender, class act. Glad to see her succeed, just wish it could have been at her alma mater haha. Glad they are able to be in the same area and not recruit against each other Smile

pilight

PostPosted: 01/16/18 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bria Holmes is pregnant and will miss the season

PostPosted: 01/16/18 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Bria Holmes is pregnant and will miss the season

Full email/press release:

Bria Holmes to Miss 2018 Season Due to Pregnancy

Third-year Atlanta Dream guard Bria Holmes released the following statement Tuesday:

“Unfortunately, I will have to miss the 2018 season because I'm expecting but I plan to return to the Dream in 2019 stronger, healthier and ready to play. As a female professional athlete, it is hard to start a family while playing year-round but this little human inside of me is truly a blessing to me, my family, and my boyfriend. I'm so happy and thankful I can continue my career after my bundle of joy is here. To my coaches, teammates, staff, & fans I want to thank you so much for all your support and help since I was drafted in 2016 and wish everyone good luck this season - I'll be cheering you all on! One Dream, One Team.”

Atlanta Dream first-year Head Coach Nicki Collen said: “While I am certainly disappointed Bria won’t be in a Dream uniform this summer, as a mother of three, I also wish to congratulate her on starting her own family. This league is about celebrating the female athlete and everything that it entails. Bria is a big part of the Dream family and we will welcome her back in 2019.”

Originally selected 11th overall by the Dream in the 2016 WNBA Draft, Holmes has averaged 7.6 points and 2.7 rebounds over her first two seasons in the league. This offseason, the former West Virginia University standout was playing in Poland for CCC Polowice.

PostPosted: 01/16/18 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congratulations to Bria on starting her family!

I think now the Dream have another reason to keep T. Young if she wants to stay.

toad455

PostPosted: 01/16/18 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to Bria!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
pilight

PostPosted: 01/16/18 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's the official announcement from the Dream

http://dream.wnba.com/news/bria-holmes-miss-2018-season-due-pregnancy/

PostPosted: 01/16/18 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Here's the official announcement from the Dream

http://dream.wnba.com/news/bria-holmes-miss-2018-season-due-pregnancy/

What's your take? Smile

pilight wrote:
Another pregnant H. I'm starting to worry about Bria Holmes.

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?p=1404644#1404644

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/17/18 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another announcement or shall i say indication .....

http://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/22136438/layshia-clarendon-alleges-sexual-assault-lawsuit-cal-employee

Quote:
Layshia Clarendon says in suit she was sexually assaulted while attending Cal

PostPosted: 01/17/18 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Clarendon said the overarching goal of the lawsuit was accountability.

"My biggest hope is that he never does this to anyone else," said Clarendon, who led Cal to its only Final Four in 2013. "That no one else has to suffer under his hand, or him violating their bodies again. That this would be the end of him assaulting people. And so it feels there is a big level of responsibility there for me, to make sure this doesn't continue. And he doesn't continue to harm other people."

A courageous step on her part.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/17/18 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Quote:
Clarendon said the overarching goal of the lawsuit was accountability.

"My biggest hope is that he never does this to anyone else," said Clarendon, who led Cal to its only Final Four in 2013. "That no one else has to suffer under his hand, or him violating their bodies again. That this would be the end of him assaulting people. And so it feels there is a big level of responsibility there for me, to make sure this doesn't continue. And he doesn't continue to harm other people."

A courageous step on her part.

Agreed , im very proud of her for stepping up. Most ladies in the LGBT community where im from would be ashamed or embarrassed to say a man abused them . Kudos to Layshia

PostPosted: 01/30/18 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Check out @Charles33Monroe’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/Charles33Monroe/status/958187888100986881?s=09

Question for dream fans ! Will Coach Collen bring Sykes off the bench with angel returning? Sykes gets buckets ATL has a better shot starting her with TIP and Lori Ann, which brings the question Can Angel play the 4 and ATL be effective on defense? Decisions , Decisions, Decisions!

PostPosted: 01/30/18 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Check out @Charles33Monroe’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/Charles33Monroe/status/958187888100986881?s=09

Question for dream fans ! Will Coach Collen bring Sykes off the bench with angel returning? Sykes gets buckets ATL has a better shot starting her with TIP and Lori Ann, which brings the question Can Angel play the 4 and ATL be effective on defense? Decisions , Decisions, Decisions!

Unless they play small ball with McCoughtry as a PF, I don’t she has much of a choice. Could this turn into another Bentley-Williams conundrum?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 4 of 18

Jump to: