2018 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 91, 92, 93  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtsnms

PostPosted: 01/12/18 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
Gabby Williams = Armintie Price in the W

So you think more a SG/SF than the SF/PF of an Alyssa Thomas? Because the more perimeter-focussed she is the more the lack of range becomes an issue. Much as I loved Price/Herrington and the positive elements of her game, her complete inability to hit a shot from beyond three inches was a significant problem for many teams she was on.

I think we all agree that her shot has to improve for her to be a long term success/impact player.

Defensively though, I think she is better euqipped for the 2/3 and some smaller 4s. I can't see her covering Parker/Ogwumike types very successfully for long periods.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/12/18 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

So you're predicting Rookie of the Year for her?

And being a lottery pick!

PostPosted: 01/12/18 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

So you're predicting Rookie of the Year for her?

And being a lottery pick!

Yes, I think she will be a lottery pick. With Chicago having two picks, I think she could easily be the second pick they make.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/14/18 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/14/18 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why is no one discussing alexis Jennings? If she were to declare early id want her at #6!

PostPosted: 01/14/18 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lexie Brown has definitely impressed me this season. I'd definitely take her as the first guard in the draft ahead of Canada. She's bigger, a better shooter, and a better defender. As a matter of fact I think I would take Nurse ahead of Canada as well Shocked

RavenDog

PostPosted: 01/15/18 8:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In all fairness to Gabby Williams shooting range, she is not permitted by Geno to shoot 3's. Proscribed, not allowed, barred, forbidden, nada etc...

And, rightfully so in that she has a role to play on the team based on her athleticism and quickness, and, why would you want her jacking up threes when you have Kia, Lou, Crystal, Azura and Napheesa available.

On offense, Gabby's role is to move, screen, pass, create openings and chaos in and around the basket/key, rebound and score. Geno has been very adamant on this with her and has given her Hell for when she deviates. Her practice time does not consist of plays designed for her to shoot 3's.

Now, I'm not saying she is or will be a great or good long distance shooter because frankly we can't/don't really know. Obviously, she's not as good a long distance shooter as the five mentioned. She's been told she'll have time to perfect it later.

Considering this, I would suspect it will take time for her to become adept and comfortable shooting 3's because she hasn't done so in games, except when she did it anyways. And, in the WNBA the 3 ball is a farther shot than in college.

One thing that can be counted on is that she will practice and work hard on developing a long distance shot because she is a relentless perfectionist.

Whatever team drafts her is going to have to accept this and give her time. Right now, it's definitely a question mark and may or may not affect her draft position. Other than being a lottery pick, it really doesn't make much of a difference when a player's picked in WNBA.

I think the worst team for her to be drafted by would be Indiana.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 01/15/18 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Why is no one discussing alexis Jennings? If she were to declare early id want her at #6!

Sure glad you aren't the GM of my team! Wink

pilight

PostPosted: 01/15/18 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A MOCK WNBA DRAFT CHOSEN BY PANEL OF LEAGUE'S COACHES, GMS

http://www.apnewsarchive.com/2018/A-panel-of-WNBA-coaches-and-general-managers-put-together-mock-selections-for-the-first-round-of-the-league-s-draft-that-will-take-place-this-spring/id-94ef8b26279c4b768d5b9d9744f50655

Quote:
Gabby Williams, UConn. The most athletic player in the draft, Williams is a tremendous all-around player

PostPosted: 01/15/18 10:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

http://www.apnewsarchive.com/2018/A-panel-of-WNBA-coaches-and-general-managers-put-together-mock-selections-for-the-first-round-of-the-league-s-draft-that-will-take-place-this-spring/id-94ef8b26279c4b768d5b9d9744f50655

Quote:
Gabby Williams, UConn. The most athletic player in the draft, Williams is a tremendous all-around player

I gotta' wonder how many are on this "panel". Using a lottery pick on a 19.5 year old Russian kid seems like way too much of a crap shoot. Also...no Nared?

toad455

PostPosted: 01/15/18 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vadeeva likely won't be a lottery pick due to her probably not coming over this season. Williams dropping to #7? Vivians a first rounder?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
sigur3

PostPosted: 01/15/18 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Quote:

shoot me.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/15/18 10:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Vadeeva says she's coming then I could understand her going that high, but playing her with Dolson would be problematic. That makes the fit with Chicago pretty awkward.

Generally speaking I think there are lots of picks and fits in that mock that make a lot of sense. Probably too many, because in the real draft there are usually plenty where you wonder how the hell it's going to work.

PostPosted: 01/15/18 10:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have Vadeeva going at #6 at the highest. It's a risk to possibly take her over Russell.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/15/18 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I have Vadeeva going at #6 at the highest. It's a risk to possibly take her over Russell.

Drafting a big white foreign teenager really high turned out pretty well for Seattle once in the past.

PostPosted: 01/15/18 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Drafting a big white foreign teenager really high turned out pretty well for Seattle once in the past.

Aussies tend to show up more often than Russians. Though the Stepanova & Cambage comparisons are way too similar.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 01/15/18 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
If Vadeeva says she's coming then I could understand her going that high, but playing her with Dolson would be problematic. That makes the fit with Chicago pretty awkward.

Generally speaking I think there are lots of picks and fits in that mock that make a lot of sense. Probably too many, because in the real draft there are usually plenty where you wonder how the hell it's going to work.

Top four or five...after that I think it's less likely. From what I hear there are a couple of "non First rounders" listed there too.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 01/15/18 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Aussies tend to show up more often than Russians. Though the Stepanova & Cambage comparisons are way too similar.

You stole all my words about drafting a European player versus drafting a player from Australia. European players do not have a history of making a long term commitment to playing in the WNBA. Confused

PostPosted: 01/15/18 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Other than my having no good sense of where Vadeeva should be picked or by whom, I think the top six are pretty realistic. There's a couple in the second six I wouldn't make but that wouldn't surprise me if they happen.

When I read the comments before looking at the list, I thought the projections would be really out of left field. In actuality, this looks better than most any I've seen.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/15/18 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Sure glad you aren't the GM of my team! Wink

I had a few too many glasses of the jennings juice yesterday . With the small # of bigs in this draft she could elevate her stock if she decided to declare . Jennings at #6 would work , only for the Wings though .

PostPosted: 01/15/18 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

shoot me.

Why? When I saw Pilight's post with that quote, I thought perhaps he was signalling that she was #1 in the mock draft. She's actually #7, which seems pretty realistic for her draft position.

Or is it that you don't want her in Washington?

sigur3

PostPosted: 01/15/18 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
sigur3 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

shoot me.

Why? When I saw Pilight's post with that quote, I thought perhaps he was signalling that she was #1 in the mock draft. She's actually #7, which seems pretty realistic for her draft position.

Or is it that you don't want her in Washington?

Oh no, nothing to do with Gabby. I don't like the Chicago picks in that mock.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/15/18 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
Lexie Brown has definitely impressed me this season. I'd definitely take her as the first guard in the draft ahead of Canada.

You mean the first guard after Mitchell... only if you don't consider DeShields a guard? I consider her a big guard.

Last edited by Shades on 01/15/18 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 01/15/18 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
In all fairness to Gabby Williams shooting range, she is not permitted by Geno to shoot 3's. Proscribed, not allowed, barred, forbidden, nada etc...

She made one in the preseason....

Last edited by Shades on 01/15/18 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 01/15/18 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Quote:
Minnesota: Shakayla Thomas, Florida State. Could be a good replacement for Plenette Pierson, who retired after last season.

Yeah, a 5'11 replacement for Pierson. No thanks!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 91, 92, 93  Next
Page 39 of 93

Jump to: