RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Rank the following seniors as WNBA prospects

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sigur3

PostPosted: 01/11/18 9:29 pm    ::: Rank the following seniors as WNBA prospects Reply Reply with quote

Rank these guards:
Jordin Canada
Kelsey Mitchell
Katelynn Flaherty
Lexie Brown
Brooke McCarty
Tyler Scaife
Tyra Buss
Carlie Wagner
Loryn Goodwin
Imani Wright

Rank these wings:
Victoria Vivians
Kia Nurse
Rebecca Greenwell
Brittney McPhee
Gabby Williams
Jaime Nared
Ariel Atkins
Shakayla Thomas
Linnae Harper

Rank these posts:
A'ja Wilson
Mercedes Russell
Monique Billings
Stephanie Mavunga
Myisha Hines-Allen
Teana Muldrow
Khaalia Hillsman
Kaylee Jensen
Erykah Davenport

Which of these players make for the best WNBA prospects? There are a few tweeners on there. If you think one player should belong elsewhere, change your rankings accordingly. Also feel free to mention any seniors I missed and I will add them to the OP.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/11/18 10:10 pm    ::: Re: Rank the following seniors as WNBA prospects Reply Reply with quote

Rank these posts:

LOCKS: A'ja Wilson, Mercedes Russel

GOOD PROSPECT, BUT PROBABLY AS A 3: Myisha Hines-Allen

MARGINAL/JOURNEYMAN: Monique Billings

UNLIKELY/MAYBE A ROSTER SPOT FOR A YEAR OR TWO: Stephanie Mavunga

LITTLE OR NONE: Teana Muldrow, Khaalia Hillsman, Kaylee Jensen, Erykah Davenport

sigur3

PostPosted: 01/11/18 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good post, Art.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 01/11/18 10:50 pm    ::: Re: Rank the following seniors as WNBA prospects Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Rank these posts:

LITTLE OR NONE: Teana Muldrow, Khaalia Hillsman, Kaylee Jensen, Erykah Davenport

I'm not as sold on Russell. She will make a team but I don't know that she will ever be more than a marginal starter. She has an upside but hasn't really improved in 4 years at Tennessee. I actually see nearly as much upside in Billings. She doesn't have quite the size, but she came into UCLA much more raw than Russell and I believe with different coaching she could take another step forward, possibly becoming an all-star. Otherwise I agree with your assessments.

UK1996

PostPosted: 01/12/18 12:54 am    ::: Re: Rank the following seniors as WNBA prospects Reply Reply with quote

Guards
Kelsey Mitchell
Lexie Brown
Tyler Scaife
Jordan Canada
Loryn Goodwin
Linnae Harper
Brook McCarty
Katelyn Flahrety
Imani Wright
Tyra Buss
Carley Wagner

Wings
Jamie Nared
Gabby Williams
Victoria Vivian’s
Kia Nurse
Rebecca Greenwell
Shakayla Thomas
Brittany McPhee
Ariel Atkins
Myesha Hine-Allen

Monique Billings
Mercedes Russell
Stephanie Mavunga
Kaylee Jensen
Teanna Muldrow
Khalia Hillsman
Erykah Davenport

PostPosted: 01/12/18 9:44 am    ::: Re: Rank the following seniors as WNBA prospects Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
Rank these guards:
Jordin Canada
Kelsey Mitchell
Katelynn Flaherty
Lexie Brown
Brooke McCarty
Tyler Scaife
Tyra Buss
Carlie Wagner
Loryn Goodwin
Imani Wright

Rank these wings:
Victoria Vivians
Kia Nurse
Rebecca Greenwell
Brittney McPhee
Gabby Williams
Jaime Nared
Ariel Atkins
Shakayla Thomas
Linnae Harper

Rank these posts:
A'ja Wilson
Mercedes Russell
Monique Billings
Stephanie Mavunga
Myisha Hines-Allen
Teana Muldrow
Khaalia Hillsman
Kaylee Jensen
Erykah Davenport

Which of these players make for the best WNBA prospects? There are a few tweeners on there. If you think one player should belong elsewhere, change your rankings accordingly. Also feel free to mention any seniors I missed and I will add them to the OP.

How does Kia Nurse's name not get on this list?

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 01/12/18 9:47 am    ::: Re: Rank the following seniors as WNBA prospects Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
sigur3 wrote:
Rank these guards:
Jordin Canada
Kelsey Mitchell
Katelynn Flaherty
Lexie Brown
Brooke McCarty
Tyler Scaife
Tyra Buss
Carlie Wagner
Loryn Goodwin
Imani Wright

Rank these wings:
Victoria Vivians
Kia Nurse
Rebecca Greenwell
Brittney McPhee
Gabby Williams
Jaime Nared
Ariel Atkins
Shakayla Thomas
Linnae Harper

Rank these posts:
A'ja Wilson
Mercedes Russell
Monique Billings
Stephanie Mavunga
Myisha Hines-Allen
Teana Muldrow
Khaalia Hillsman
Kaylee Jensen
Erykah Davenport

I suggest you check again

PostPosted: 01/12/18 10:05 am    ::: Re: Rank the following seniors as WNBA prospects Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
sigur3 wrote:
Rank these guards:
Jordin Canada
Kelsey Mitchell
Katelynn Flaherty
Lexie Brown
Brooke McCarty
Tyler Scaife
Tyra Buss
Carlie Wagner
Loryn Goodwin
Imani Wright

Rank these wings:
Victoria Vivians
Kia Nurse
Rebecca Greenwell
Brittney McPhee
Gabby Williams
Jaime Nared
Ariel Atkins
Shakayla Thomas
Linnae Harper

Rank these posts:
A'ja Wilson
Mercedes Russell
Monique Billings
Stephanie Mavunga
Myisha Hines-Allen
Teana Muldrow
Khaalia Hillsman
Kaylee Jensen
Erykah Davenport

She's listed as a wing, not a guard, so I understand your confusion.

(now with spelling variations)
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/12/18 12:36 pm    ::: Re: Rank the following seniors as WNBA prospects Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

I was curious how those positions were assigned.

Does "wing" include everyone who plays the 2 or the 3? Harper is 5'8", she's not going to play small forward so I guess I would consider her purely a guard, unless "guard," is supposed to include only point guards.

Can we get a little clarity on the position groupings?

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/12/18 12:44 pm    ::: Re: Rank the following seniors as WNBA prospects Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Rank these posts:

I think Muldrow has a shot, but probably also as a 3. I'm not sure Russel is much better than Ruth Hamblin. Her size will keep her in at least for a couple of years but unless she increases her skill level, I don't see her as a longterm lock. I think Mavunga and Billings are quite similar.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 01/12/18 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Guards
Kelsey Mitchell
Lexie Brown
Jordan Canada
Loryn Goodwin
Tyler Scaife

Above all have qualities that could find a home in the W. As always it depends a lot on where marginal player's land whether they stick or not.
I haven't seen as much of the following so it's harder to rank.
Linnae Harper
Imani Wright
Brook McCarty
Katelyn Flaherty
Tyra Buss
Carley Wagner
and AJ Alix probably belongs in here too.

Wings

these are more 3-4 and are very close so hard to put into order:
Gabby Williams
Jamie Nared - I really like her and think she has good potential but, as with several of these players, her consistency would drive a coach crazy.
Shakayla Thomas
Victoria Vivians
Myesha Hines-Allen

and these are more 2-3:
Kia Nurse - I see her as a better version of Chong.
Ariel Atkins
Brittany McPhee
Rebecca Greenwell

- Amanda Gorman
sigur3

PostPosted: 01/12/18 2:10 pm    ::: Re: Rank the following seniors as WNBA prospects Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Queenie wrote:

I was curious how those positions were assigned.

Does "wing" include everyone who plays the 2 or the 3? Harper is 5'8", she's not going to play small forward so I guess I would consider her purely a guard, unless "guard," is supposed to include only point guards.

Can we get a little clarity on the position groupings?

For the purposes of this list, "guards" are primary ball handlers, and Harper isn't really that. I suppose Nurse could be a guard, not a wing.

But like I said, feel free to rearrange them if you see fit. I'd like this thread to be more of a discussion of player vs. player if possible : )

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 01/12/18 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Guards
Kelsey Mitchell
Lexie Brown
Jordan Canada
Loryn Goodwin
Tyler Scaife

Above all have qualities that could find a home in the W. As always it depends a lot on where marginal player's land whether they stick or not.
I haven't seen as much of the following so it's harder to rank.
Linnae Harper
Imani Wright
Brook McCarty
Katelyn Flaherty
Tyra Buss
Carley Wagner
and AJ Alix probably belongs in here too.

Wings

these are more 3-4 and are very close so hard to put into order:
Gabby Williams
Jamie Nared - I really like her and think she has good potential but, as with several of these players, her consistency would drive a coach crazy.
Shakayla Thomas
Victoria Vivians
Myesha Hines-Allen

and these are more 2-3:
Kia Nurse - I see her as a better version of Chong.
Ariel Atkins
Brittany McPhee
Rebecca Greenwell

Thanks Myrtle I thought I would use your groupings and give my Opinion on them if thats OK as I would have mention these.

KM - if she can commit todefense and make better decisions at next level
LB - a player who has played a lot of zone at Duke so could be similar to above
JC - has the D but outside shot a huge problem for a player this small
LG - hard to tell as level played not the same as the big dogs and what position as when you don't have ball in your hands its a little different trying to get open etc against W vets
TS- inconsistent and another one on one player who will have to be a role player

LH-too small
IW-could have a shot at a role player if she has any IQ
BM-too small
KF-lacks quickness and size
TB-too small
CW-too big of a jump
AJ-dont know enough

GW-athlete with tools that every team needs, not every player on the floor has outside shot in W but what she brings teams want
JN-inconsistent, one speed
ST-red flag
VV-inconsistent but if she can work giving full effort at all times could have a shot
MHA-like her but could be too small as she is a 4

KN-has the nose and effort plus an outside shot
AA-inconsistent and a bit of a gunner but would depend on if she has smarts and willingness to be unselfish
BM-Gunner and makes bad decisions
RG-too slow

Other than that I really like them. Well maybe not totally, the more I look into this group I see less and less I really like

AW or KM IMO will go 1/2 depending on what team needs and even both of them have flaws that will have to be addressed and thats the way the cookie always crumbles.[/i][/b]

Randy

PostPosted: 01/12/18 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Based on what I'm reading throughout this thread and the Mock Draft thread - this draft has been over-rated substantially. Perhaps it is because last year's draft was so weak.

sigur3

PostPosted: 01/12/18 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Based on what I'm reading throughout this thread and the Mock Draft thread - this draft has been over-rated substantially. Perhaps it is because last year's draft was so weak.

Perhaps, but I purposefully did this for seniors only. This doesn't take into account people currently playing overseas (DDS) or potential early declarations.

root_thing

PostPosted: 01/12/18 3:23 pm    ::: Re: Rank the following seniors as WNBA prospects Reply Reply with quote

I going to hedge and say it's still very early. However, here are my random impressions at this time.

PG
Kelsey Mitchell - I like her better now that she's making an attempt to set up her teammates more.
Jordin Canada - I like her better now that she's shooting the ball more consistently.
Brooke McCarty - Smart with a big heart, but I think she's just too small. What does she weigh -- like 100 lbs?

SG
Kia Nurse - I'm not buying that she's slow or significantly shorter than her listed height. Her reputation is built on defense, but Kia is currently second in the nation in 3Pt% on good volume (35-72 48.6%). Geno considers her the emotional leader of the team, and he plays her more minutes than anyone else. Defense, offense, intangibles, and UConn pedigree. GMs will view her as a safe pick, and I think Nurse will go higher than people think.
Lexie Brown - I came into the year questioning her handle and vision. Nothing I've seen has changed my mind. Against Miami, she couldn't handle the pressure and ended up with 9 TOs. Next game she had trouble getting off shots against Louisville -- although I guess you could say the same about Ogunbowale yesterday. I haven't seen Brown show much scoring ability off the dribble. She's a very good pure shooter, so I view her as a combo guard who is probably better at SG. My best comp is a better shooting Bria Hartley with less ability off the bounce.
Ariel Atkins - Very good shooter, but she looks smaller than her listed 5-11. Nonetheless, if you can shoot and you're a good enough athlete to defend serviceably, you can usually stick.
Linnae Harper - Hard player to assess because of her odd situation playing PF at 5-8. She's very active and finds a way to impact the game. Harper is a longshot, but I give her a chance.

SF
Jaime Nared - She's not shooting the ball well, but Nared does a little of everything and she fills up the stat sheet. She's also the person who usually makes big plays when Tennessee needs one. I see her as a Swin Cash type player.
Gabby Williams - I've never viewed her as a lottery pick, but she can still be very valuable to a lot of teams. Williams can do enough speed and athletic things offensively to be like Tiffany Hayes without the 3Pt shot. Then, throw in better passing ability. Hayes has averaged roughly 13 ppg while making one 3Pt per game. So, let's say Gabby gives you 10 ppg with great D. That would make her similar to Tanisha Wright, except she'd be a 3/2 instead of 2/1. Yes, I do think Gabby's handle is good enough to play SG. I can see Agler loving her as a replacement for Carson. I can see Laimbeer starting her somewhere. Any coach who likes D will feel that 10 ppg is enough to pull your weight on offense.
Victoria Vivians -- If she's shooting better and playing smarter, the athletic ability was always there.
Rebecca Greenwell - She looked great at the beginning of last year, topped off by a super game against South Carolina. She has not looked anywhere near as good since.
Brittney McPhee - Spunky player who breaks the white girl stereotype by being good off the dribble, but shaky as a jump shooter. Given that she's not that big or strong, she will need to improve her jumper to survive.
Shakayla Thomas - I haven't seen her much this year, but based on the numbers Thomas seems like the same player but with more usage. While she may look similar to Gabby Williams on paper, UConn's systems force their players to move/pass/handle on offense and to actively switch on defense in a way few other teams do. I think it allows Williams to play more like a perimeter player and it will help her make the transition to wing better than Thomas.
Teanna Muldrow - I liked her a lot last year, but this season they've turned her into Nia Coffey. Spending too much time close to the rim. That will hurt her transition to SF.

PF
A'ja Wilson
Monique Billings - If her midrange jumper really is improved, I wonder if she wouldn't be better off transitioning to SF.
Myisha Hines-Allen - I know she had the big game last night, but she usually disappears in important games and I can't help feeling that she was riding Durr's coattails. More importantly, they say scouts look for a player to have at least one pro-ready skill. What is Hines-Allen's pro level skill?

C
Mercedes Russell - She has looked really good at times, so we know the ability is there. Based on Glory Johnson and Shekinna Stricklen also looking unmotivated and underachieving at Tennessee, I'm going to give Russell the benefit of a doubt.
Stephanie Mavunga - What is her potential? Kia Vaughn in an era where posts are getting bigger? You have to be concerned about the way she got killed by Hallie Thome.
Khaalia Hillsman - Meh.
Kaylee Jensen - She looks to be in better shape, but still...

Haven't seen enough to comment
Tyler Scaife
Loryn Goodwin
Katelynn Flaherty
Erykah Davenport
Tyra Buss
Carlie Wagner
Imani Wright

PostPosted: 01/12/18 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
Randy wrote:

Perhaps, but I purposefully did this for seniors only. This doesn't take into account people currently playing overseas (DDS) or potential early declarations.

Is there any question that DeShields is going to be part of this draft? She can't play in college. Somebody's going to draft her, and draft her high. She's a lot surer bet than most of these other wings. She's not as speculative as foreign players who have never played in the US. I understand your choices, but don't see any reason to exclude her from your list.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/12/18 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Duplicate

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/12/18 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
sigur3 wrote:
Randy wrote:

Is there any question that DeShields is going to be part of this draft? She can't play in college. Somebody's going to draft her, and draft her high. She's a lot surer bet than most of these other wings. She's not as speculative as foreign players who have never played in the US. I understand your choices, but don't see any reason to exclude her from your list.

+1

PostPosted: 01/12/18 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
sigur3 wrote:
Randy wrote:

OK, where would you rank her, then?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/12/18 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
sigur3 wrote:
Randy wrote:

Well, looking at the wings and those I would consider wings, most are either 2s or 3s but not both either because they're too small for the 3 or not good enough with the ball to be 2s. DeShields may be the most versatile of the bunch, can shoot, score inside, handle the ball, pass, rebound. She's playing and scoring well in Turkey. If it wasn't for the attitude she'd easily be the top wing. I'm not a fan of hers, but if I was drafting I'd probably swallow hard and still have her as my top wing. I think she's a top 5, maybe even higher.

How much of her nonsense do you think you can put up with, or do you believe that being out of college has matured her some? The other wings have physical or basketball limitations. She's fine on both of those. I'd want to interview her and do some due diligence, but she's probably worth the risk.

sigur3

PostPosted: 01/12/18 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
sigur3 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
sigur3 wrote:
Randy wrote:

Well, looking at the wings and those I would consider wings, most are either 2s or 3s but not both either because they're too small for the 3 or not good enough with the ball to be 2s. DeShields may be the most versatile of the bunch, can shoot, score inside, handle the ball, pass, rebound. She's playing and scoring well in Turkey. If it wasn't for the attitude she'd easily be the top wing. I'm not a fan of hers, but if I was drafting I'd probably swallow hard and still have her as my top wing. I think she's a top 5, maybe even higher.

How much of her nonsense do you think you can put up with, or do you believe that being out of college has matured her some? The other wings have physical or basketball limitations. She's fine on both of those. I'd want to interview her and do some due diligence, but she's probably worth the risk.

Yeah I agree with most of that. If these players were robots, I'd feel much more comfortable with the Sky probably taking her at 3/4...

Randy

PostPosted: 01/12/18 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Talent wise, DD is the best wing in the draft and maybe the second best player. Obvious question is does a team want her issues. I've started a draft trade thread to explore this issue more instead of putting it here.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: