RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2018 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 91, 92, 93  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 01/09/18 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
To be fair leaping ability should be in favor of Thomas . She can dunk , not sure if Gabby can or not , but at least ive seen Thomas attempt in reality .

Gabby can jump! I've definitely seen her at rim height.

- Amanda Gorman
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/09/18 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
To be fair leaping ability should be in favor of Thomas . She can dunk , not sure if Gabby can or not , but at least ive seen Thomas attempt in reality .

Can she dunk?

PostPosted: 01/09/18 10:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Can she dunk?

beats me. I haven't followed her that closely. but I wouldn't put money down against it.

- Amanda Gorman
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/09/18 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Can she dunk?

beats me. I haven't followed her that closely. but I wouldn't put money down against it.

Yeah id say she probably could or come hella close. I think the difference is gabby uses her athletic ability in a more effective way than thomas , but both players have the same ceiling. Gabby just has a better motor.

PostPosted: 01/10/18 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dunk Shocked ain't no player that short dunking in the W. With that aside, Wiliams is a much better prospect. There was a reason Thomas was coming of the bench at Fl St, just as there was a reason she disappeared from the USA team Wink As far as athletic ability, its worthless if you don't know how to use it and are not smart enough to play the game Cool

dtsnms

PostPosted: 01/10/18 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, Gabby almost made the Olympic time as a high jumper before going to UConn, so yes, I'd say she can jump.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/10/18 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Dunk Shocked ain't no player that short dunking in the W. With that aside, Wiliams is a much better prospect. There was a reason Thomas was coming of the bench at Fl St, just as there was a reason she disappeared from the USA team Wink As far as athletic ability, its worthless if you don't know how to use it and are not smart enough to play the game Cool

Gabby was once a bench player also . Deanna Nolan could dunk and she shorter then both of these players. The gap is not as huge as most people here like to make it seem between Shakayla & Gabby . The only difference that matters is the university chosen . If Gabby played for FSU & Shakayla was a huskie the projections would be opposite . Would you still put Gabby in your lottery if she played 4 years at FSU ?

PostPosted: 01/10/18 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Exactly the point even though you just don't like Uconn. Thomas would never be recruited by Uconn and if they had made a mistake of taking her she probably would have transferred as they wouldn't play her. Heck Stanford would never recruit a player like Thomas and I don't think Notre Dame would and a lot of other schools. Williams would never have sat the bench at Florida State due to her work ethic.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/10/18 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

Gabby was once a bench player also . Deanna Nolan could dunk and she shorter then both of these players. The gap is not as huge as most people here like to make it seem between Shakayla & Gabby . The only difference that matters is the university chosen . If Gabby played for FSU & Shakayla was a huskie the projections would be opposite . Would you still put Gabby in your lottery if she played 4 years at FSU ?

In some ways it might have been better if Gabby went to a different school except she'd missing out on the boot camp aspect of UConn. At a different school she might have been trained at her proper position, which is guard. She was a guard in high school. So that's how Geno worked it out to get all his best players on the floor at the same... move Gabby to the post. I don't think Geno has done any favors to Gabby's pro prospects by doing this, but he wouldn't be doing her any favors having her come off the bench either.

Yeah, so maybe Gabby would be the star with huge stats at FSU. Hard to say. Why even think that way? Just look at her now and imagine what she could be.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/10/18 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Exactly the point even though you just don't like Uconn. Thomas would never be recruited by Uconn and if they had made a mistake of taking her she probably would have transferred as they wouldn't play her. Heck Stanford would never recruit a player like Thomas and I don't think Notre Dame would and a lot of other schools. Williams would never have sat the bench at Florida State due to her work ethic.

A Bit off topic , question is If Shakayla were a huskie & Gabby was a Nole would you have Gabby as a lottery pick ? Yes or no , not getting into why they would not recruit her blah blah blah thats avoiding the question.

PostPosted: 01/10/18 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Williams has 63 assists this season. Thomas has 9.

End of story. You can't be successful as a perimeter player in the W if you can't pass.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/10/18 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:

End of story. You can't be successful as a perimeter player in the W if you can't pass.

You assume she cannot pass because she does not have the weapons gabby has on her team ? So if she cannot pass , then what about if you cannot shoot ? Many players have made it in the W not knowing how to pass (See "EDD") , but not being able to shoot is a whole different ball game. Maybe if they were point guards that would matter more , but there not being drafted to pass so thats not really a good difference maker to use .

PostPosted: 01/10/18 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Player A 11.1 PPG 8.3 Rebs
Player B 18.4 PPG 7.2 Rebs

The two most important stats for their future position in the WNBA. Spot a Major gap or Nah ? You decide ....You can say she average 4.5 APG , but how many people here seriously think shes going to average anywhere near that in the WNBA ? If you do then to each's own , but i will respectfully disagree.

PostPosted: 01/10/18 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:

I don't know about "never", but I don't recall any of those schools ever recruiting players from rural Alabama. As one might expect, she was recruited mostly by schools in the South including Baylor, Tenn, Maryland, KY, etc. I don't think there was anything about her that meant those coaches you mentioned would "never" have recruited her. I will point out that none of those three recruited Azura Stevens either. How's that fit with your broadside at Thomas? Must be something wrong with Stevens too, by your logic.

As for USA basketball, you know as well as I that politics and "play OUR way" has as much to do with it as basketball skill. But I'll point out that at the Junior National trials, Prospects Nation wrote of Thomas

"Florida State forward, Shakayla Thomas, brings an abundance of energy and athleticism to the floor when she plays. Her athletic advantages are clear on both sides of the ball as she is at her best playing in transition and attacking the rim. In a room full of high-level athletes, Thomas might be the best one in the building."

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/10/18 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Well, Gabby almost made the Olympic time as a high jumper before going to UConn, so yes, I'd say she can jump.

I don't think there's any question she can jump. So can Thomas. I have no idea who has the better vertical.

But in terms of the draft, jumping ability really doesn't compensate for a lack of height on the part of either one.

Randy

PostPosted: 01/10/18 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Like most every player in this draft (Wilson excluded?) there are question marks.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/10/18 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
In a room full of high-level athletes, Thomas might be the best one in the building."

High flying Toni Young, (record high jumper, multi sport high school star, and power dunker) was the best athlete in the 2013 draft by a wide margin...

PostPosted: 01/10/18 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
In a room full of high-level athletes, Thomas might be the best one in the building."

High flying Toni Young, (record high jumper, multi sport high school star, and power dunker) was the best athlete in the 2013 draft by a wide margin...

So are you suggesting she's a parallel for Williams in this draft? (Record high jumper, multi sport high school star, and power dunker. Never heard of Thomas being a high jumper. )

Young was taken 7th in the draft. Ended up playing in a total of 41 games for two teams.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/10/18 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

So are you suggesting she's a parallel for Williams in this draft? (Record high jumper, multi sport high school star, and power dunker. Never heard of Thomas being a high jumper. )

Young was taken 7th in the draft. Ended up playing in a total of 41 games for two teams.

I'm just saying that being the best athlete doesn't always translate into being the best basketball player, or even a WNBA caliber basketball player.

PostPosted: 01/10/18 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

I'm just saying that being the best athlete doesn't always translate into being the best basketball player, or even a WNBA caliber basketball player.

But that seems to be the main claim to fame for Williams. Let's see. Short, no natural position, can't shoot. But hey, she's a remarkable athlete so she should be a top three pick.

So how does that fit with what you just wrote?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/10/18 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

But that seems to be the main claim to fame for Williams. Let's see. Short, no natural position, can't shoot. But hey, she's a remarkable athlete so she should be a top three pick.

Good point Art ! It fits with what ive been trying to state these past few months Laughing . People just say Yeah she cant shoot but "shes a great athlete and she goes to UCONN" so she has to be in the lottery Shocked wtf !

PostPosted: 01/10/18 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

I don't see Williams as a lottery pick, but WNBA GMs often overdraft UConn players so she could go there. If Williams is available when my team drafts at #16, I'd be OK with them choosing her.

PostPosted: 01/10/18 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Gabby is a great defender, a good passer, a good rebounder, and has a high motor and still has a lot of potential to get betterthat’s what sets her apart and has her stock so high.
TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 01/10/18 9:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We know Williams has the length to guard positions 1-3 at the next level, and she has the speed. Also, having “weapons” to finish your passes is only half the battle. Antonelli will be quick to say in order to be a good passer, you have to know the 3 Ws. That requires vision and IQ, those things typically don’t just fade away. Gabby was a guard in high school, and has shown guard skills in college. I think her passing ability will be just fine as a pro.

In terms of her shooting, her form actually doesn’t look bad at all. It’s not like Nina Davis’ for example, so it’s not like it can’t be eventually added. Also, the whole argument that “Geno couldn’t get it from her” is also kinda silly. If she’s been used as a post her four years, why would she be doing intensive shooting drills from the perimeter during their practices? That’s simply not where Geno placed her due to the team’s needs. He saw she had the skills necessary to be a post player, and that’s where he put her.

I’m sure several teams would love a player like that on their team to develop. Vegas, Indiana, and Chicago could definetely use a player like her, especially on the defensive end.

Last edited by TotalCardinalMove on 01/10/18 9:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
justinabina

PostPosted: 01/10/18 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:

Is Williams' game sort of like Alyssa Thomas's - could she be that kind of playmaking forward? Is she good at leading the break? She doesn't seem quite as big as A. Thomas - would she really be effective as an undersized 4?

I saw her play live just once and her athleticism and energy were impressive - but the star of that particular game was Katie Lou Samuelson, so Williams seemed like more of a strong role player than potential difference maker. Though role players are very much needed!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 91, 92, 93  Next
Page 37 of 93

Jump to: