RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Oprah for Prez?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy

PostPosted: 01/08/18 12:14 pm    ::: Oprah for Prez? Reply Reply with quote

Certainly, she would be a great improvement, but I'm not wild about turning this into a Celebritocracy. Thoughts?

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/08/18 12:28 pm    ::: Re: Oprah for Prez? Reply Reply with quote

Absolutely not.

Though they are different in both every other way, she, like Trump, would know nothing about running the government or developing policy.

Genero36

PostPosted: 01/08/18 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind seeing her in the public office of some kind but there's going to be way too much of a mess for her to clean up by 2020.

PostPosted: 01/08/18 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kanye said he's gonna run too. I'll be looking forward to THAT debate!

justintyme

PostPosted: 01/08/18 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
I wouldn't mind seeing her in the public office of some kind but there's going to be way too much of a mess for her to clean up by 2020.

That's my thoughts on it. If she were to run for governor or congress first to get some experience I could see supporting a presidential run in the future.

PostPosted: 01/08/18 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Genero36 wrote:

That's my thoughts on it. If she were to run for governor or congress first to get some experience I could see supporting a presidential run in the future.

Trump did none of that. I’d vote for Oprah in a second whether she gained some experience in office first or not. She can’t be any worse than the disaster we have now. If she became President, all the racist white makes (Trump’s supporters and voters) will go run and hide again.

justintyme

PostPosted: 01/08/18 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Genero36 wrote:

Trump did none of that.

Exactly.

Part of the problem with Trump (outside of his views that I find reprehensible), is that he is eminently unqualified for the position. I'm not about to criticize him for that and then go and vote for someone else just as unqualified just because I share their views.

PostPosted: 01/08/18 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LOL....love me some Oprah, but really?! Politics IS a profession that requires some basic experience, and celebrities CAN gain that experience in logical ways, but PLEASE: POTUS is not an 'entry level' position. Laughing

PostPosted: 01/08/18 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would like someone who actually has political experience and preferably some idea how the government works to be the chief executive of this country.

(now with spelling variations)
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 01/09/18 12:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
I would like someone who actually has political experience and preferably some idea how the government works to be the chief executive of this country.

Robert Reich is my choice.

PostPosted: 01/09/18 12:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oprah on the issues: A guide to the TV icon’s political leanings

sambista

PostPosted: 01/09/18 7:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

as alluring as it sounds, oprah would have to give up too much. as one pundit said last night, it would be a step down for her. she's already got all the things trump covets and will never have - worldwide adoration and respect, real wealth (vs. what can be faked on paper), real business success, a tv network, a publishing empire and human qualities like empathy and integrity. so many people and programs are beneficiaries of her largesse that her running for office and forsaking much of what she has and does and gives would represent a setback. i'd rather she be left free to make the world a better place in her own way.

that said, i do enjoy this buildup - produced by the media, not oprah - because when she pulls an "e.f. hutton" around election time, people will listen and obey. if she can get people to read books . . .

PostPosted: 01/09/18 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

although I'm sure she's smart enough to know what she doesn't know & would no doubt bring in other folks who are experts to tutor her, i'd vote no.

PostPosted: 01/09/18 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

as opposed as I am to this, I think she would win vs. #45. She'd certainly get the female vote & the minority vote, just not the votes that basically got #45 elected.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
pilight

PostPosted: 01/09/18 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Part of the problem with Trump (outside of his views that I find reprehensible), is that he is eminently unqualified for the position. I'm not about to criticize him for that and then go and vote for someone else just as unqualified just because I share their views.

While you may share some views with Oprah, she's still an uber-wealthy one-percenter. She's likely to have at least some fiscal positions you would disagree with.

PostPosted: 01/09/18 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The entertainment industry seems to be fairly uniform in their political views. There were a few who backed Sanders, like Susan Sarandon, but the vast majority seemed behind Clinton. I think Winfrey would be right in the Obama/Clinton neo-liberal ballpark.

hyperetic

PostPosted: 01/09/18 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Genero36 wrote:

X______________________
Richard 77

PostPosted: 01/09/18 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Oprah were to run for President, there would probably be a fair chance she'd win. Not because people would have faith in her, it would be because of the people's lack of faith in those who are actually in politics. And if she did win, who would bear the burden of blame for her election? The people? Nope. It would be the politicians.

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
mercfan3

PostPosted: 01/09/18 5:11 pm    ::: Re: Oprah for Prez? Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Absolutely not.

Though they are different in both every other way, she, like Trump, would know nothing about running the government or developing policy.

X________

And I love Oprah. But she doesn’t know policy.

The only thing I’d give her is that I do think she’d surround herself with really qualified people...and her presidency would t actually look bad because of it. But this whole “celebrity for President” thing needs to stop. Qualified people for President. Thx.

PostPosted: 01/10/18 10:14 am    ::: Re: Oprah for Prez? Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Absolutely not.

X________

The only thing I’d give her is that I do think she’d surround herself with really qualified people...and her presidency would t actually look bad because of it. But this whole “celebrity for President” thing needs to stop. Qualified people for President. Thx.

This is the woman who brought is Dr. Oz ...

scullyfu

PostPosted: 01/10/18 12:30 pm    ::: Re: Oprah for Prez? Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Absolutely not.

X________

lest we forget her other big contribution to daytime tv: Dr. Phil.

PostPosted: 01/10/18 3:11 pm    ::: Re: Oprah for Prez? Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Absolutely not.

X________

Dr. Oz is actually a really qualified doctor. Dr. Phil is bullshit though.

Regardless, both are incredibly successful tv personalities.

PostPosted: 01/10/18 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seal Calls Out Oprah

PostPosted: 01/10/18 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah. I fucking hate this bullshit where we look for literally any female to blame for men's actions.

Number one, unless it explicitly happened to any of these women..they really have no way of knowing whether rumors are real or not. Seriously. What were they supposed to do? Start calling out men who haven't sexually assaulted them? We've heard this "me too" message called "female hostility towards men" and "a witch hunt." Could you imagine how people would take "Well, no..I wasn't sexually assaulted by him, but I heard he does that so Hollywood should ignore this VERY powerful man."

Second, in many cases..these women don't have a choice but to work with disgusting men. Why? Because they are still more powerful..and..so many of them are disgusting.

Third..because they didn't do anything wrong. Let's blame assaulters for assaulting, thanks. Hillary Clinton has literally gotten more shit for waiting a few days before saying something about Weinstein, then Trump has gotten for being accused of assaulting 17 women.

This is why "Me Too" exists.

PostPosted: 01/10/18 7:59 pm    ::: Re: Oprah for Prez? Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

Dr. Oz is actually a really qualified doctor. Dr. Phil is bullshit though.

Regardless, both are incredibly successful tv personalities.

While he may be "qualified" in the sense that he has an M.D., he has peddled pseudoscience more than once on his show.

The fact that he has an M.D. makes him even scarier because people believe his bullshit.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: