RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 88, 89, 90  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Queenie

PostPosted: 01/02/18 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are also discounts offered if you pay early (or often- we get a 15% discount for being enrolled in the monthly payment program).

That being said, yes, our ticket prices are ridiculous.

(now with spelling variations)
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 01/04/18 3:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
merlina wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Happycappie25 wrote:
I can say that top execs katie and all ticket reps are operating business as usual as of today

I just went to check the website to see if the Liberty were still selling tickets (and was kinda horrified at the prices you guys are asked to pay for anything resembling a decent seat).

Wow - my Storm seat is $400. the equivalent seat for the Liberty is nearly $1200.

The highest-priced season ticket at the English Premier League soccer team I support (last season the 7th-best team in the most popular soccer league on the planet) is £565. That's around $768 at current exchange rates. I get that New York's one of the most expensive cities in the world whatever you're buying, but $1000+ for anything but the crappiest corner seats to see a niche sports league seems crazy. And you're not even getting as many games as I would at Everton. Congrats on showing up in the numbers that you do, NY fans.

Just for perspective's sake, in the NHL I like the Devils, who are lower-priced than the Rangers. I just paid $90 for a seat in the 100s (mid-level) on the blue line for a single game. Nice seat, comparable to my Liberty seat which is $35 per game. A Yankees seat in the upper deck behind home plate is probably in the area of 25-30 dollars per game. Not to say I don't get your point. I definitely do. But being in NY I guess I look at it in relative terms as a good price because I can afford it. If say I wanted to get a comparable plan to a so-called major sport of approximately 15 games in our metro area, it would be much harder financially to pull off.

As such, I would willingly have paid $5-$10 more per game for my seat. I'm sure some people wouldn't, but if it meant keeping our team, I'd think the ones who could afford it would do it. Even though our prices are higher, our salaries are also higher than those who do comparable jobs elsewhere. If you want to invest in something like a house, NY arguably isn't the best place to do it if you want to live here long-term, especially in retirement. But our salaries are higher, which weighs into the situation too.

PostPosted: 01/04/18 7:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also for the sake of comparison I checked Chelsea, a soccer club in the heart of London who've always been the most wildly overpriced team in the country since I was a kid. Season tickets are anything from £595 to £1200 ($807-$1627) for next season.

$35 for decent seats to Liberty games seems okay to me, albeit I'd expect a decent discount for committing to 17 games from the start. It's just that 35 x 17 is $595, which doesn't get you out of deep in the corners on the chart I was looking at: http://liberty.wnba.com/2018-new-york-liberty-seating-savings-chart/ . For anything that isn't in the corner or right at the back, you're talking $828 minimum, which is $49 a game (I'm ignoring that they probably make you pay for preseason games in that total, because I've always thought that was completely ridiculous and insulting). At those prices, even as a fan, I'd think at least twice, and probably wait to see what kind of discounts they were throwing around on a game-by-game basis.

PostPosted: 01/04/18 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm actually reasonably fond of our corner seats- they're not as badly angled as you might think and we get some good views of the action under the basket, while being close enough to feel the heat of the pregame torch and occasionally hear coaches yelling. (For reference, we're in $46 seats in 109, row 7, seats 1 and 2, strategically across the aisle from the $65 seats, taking advantage of a quirky bend in the aisle.) (Also, hello, everyone, feel free to say hi before games.)

Because they've done the preseason game at Columbia, I'm not sure they put it in at full price. I certainly wouldn't pay $46 for anything at Levien.

And New York ticket prices are obscene in general. For what I pay to sit in 109 for the Liberty, I can maybe get a ticket in the 400s for the Rangers and Knicks. I think market correction has adjusted it, but there was a story a few years ago about watching the Yankees and the Mariners- you could buy two seats behind home plate at Yankee Stadium, or you could save money by flying to Seattle, staying over at a nice hotel, enjoying a steak dinner, and buying two tickets behind home plate in Seattle.

root_thing

PostPosted: 01/04/18 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Obviously, there are a lot of wealthy people in the NYC metro area who are willing and able to pay obscene amounts of money for live events. That drags prices up for even niche events. Orchestra and front mezzanine seats for a middling Broadway show like Dear Evan Hansen go for $199. A special event like Bruce Springsteen on Broadway commands prices ranging from $75 to $850. On Stub Hub, the same tickets go for $1000 to $9800.

On May 13th, I did a doubleheader of the Liberty opener at 3:00 and a Rhiannon Giddens concert at 7:30. The Liberty tickets were row 9, section 107, which cost me $60 as part of a partial plan. Of course, row 9 at MSG isn't actually row 9 but it's still middle-middle of the lower bowl, which I consider pretty good. Meanwhile, the concert cost me $90 for the sixth row (whatever the row label). Note that Rhiannon Giddens gets a lot of critical acclaim, but she isn't that popular. This concert was part of a series at Lincoln Center, so a lot of people were simply subscribers to the series and not actual fans of the singer (which I am). Around the country, Giddens often plays clubs instead of auditoriums. Her best tickets probably average around $50. That gives you some perspective. So yes, ticket prices are elevated in NYC, and Liberty games are actually at the lower end of the price spectrum. Nonetheless, high prices is partly why Liberty fans are reluctant to travel farther if the team relocates. You're now adding cost and extra time to what was already an expensive outing. It's a matter of the straw that breaks the camel's back.

PostPosted: 01/04/18 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Note that Rhiannon Giddens gets a lot of critical acclaim, but she isn't that popular. This concert was part of a series at Lincoln Center, so a lot of people were simply subscribers to the series and not actual fans of the singer (which I am). Around the country, Giddens often plays clubs instead of auditoriums. Her best tickets probably average around $50.

I love Rhiannon Giddens' work. First saw her many years ago at the Schomburg Center in Harlem when the Carolina Chocolate Drops were just beginning to become better known. They were wonderful. I love her solo CD "Freedom Highway." Was just playing it the other day.

PostPosted: 01/04/18 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
root_thing wrote:
Note that Rhiannon Giddens gets a lot of critical acclaim, but she isn't that popular. This concert was part of a series at Lincoln Center, so a lot of people were simply subscribers to the series and not actual fans of the singer (which I am). Around the country, Giddens often plays clubs instead of auditoriums. Her best tickets probably average around $50.

I love Rhiannon Giddens' work. First saw her many years ago at the Schomburg Center in Harlem when the Carolina Chocolate Drops were just beginning to become better known. They were wonderful. I love her solo CD "Freedom Highway." Was just playing it the other day.

Yeah, I've gone all fanboy over her - to the point where I make entries to her Wikipedia page. Unfortunately, Rhiannon doesn't play NY very often. She has 3 dates coming up, but none are her own concerts. Two guest appearances, which probably means one or two songs, and a lecture/master class type event. The latter might be worth attending -- assuming non-musicians are allowed. Smile

PostPosted: 01/04/18 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hopefully the new owners will lower tickets prices.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Queenie

PostPosted: 01/04/18 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

The only way we get lower ticket prices is at a substantially cheaper arena, methinks.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 01/04/18 7:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
toad455 wrote:

The only way we get lower ticket prices is at a substantially cheaper arena, methinks.

Yeah, some of us Storm fans are already thinking how much our prices will go up once Key Arena becomes an NBA-worthy facility.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 01/04/18 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Also for the sake of comparison I checked Chelsea, a soccer club in the heart of London who've always been the most wildly overpriced team in the country since I was a kid. Season tickets are anything from £595 to £1200 ($807-$1627) for next season.

$35 for decent seats to Liberty games seems okay to me, albeit I'd expect a decent discount for committing to 17 games from the start. It's just that 35 x 17 is $595, which doesn't get you out of deep in the corners on the chart I was looking at: http://liberty.wnba.com/2018-new-york-liberty-seating-savings-chart/ . For anything that isn't in the corner or right at the back, you're talking $828 minimum, which is $49 a game (I'm ignoring that they probably make you pay for preseason games in that total, because I've always thought that was completely ridiculous and insulting). At those prices, even as a fan, I'd think at least twice, and probably wait to see what kind of discounts they were throwing around on a game-by-game basis.

I'm in the back of the one of the middle sections. Lol I guess I paid $46. I had a credit leftover from the playoffs from the year before so maybe that is why I was confused about the price. I got a few hundred dollars off. I forgot that the prices had gone up. So yeah, I'd say $46 is probably just about pushing the threshold for that seat.

PostPosted: 01/04/18 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://liberty.wnba.com/2017-seating-savings-chart/

If you look here, it was $35 in the upper center for a seat. Maybe they were in the process of making it $46 for the 2018 season, I don't know. I hadn't made my 2018 purchase yet. If it meant we'd have a team, I can afford it, so I would do it.

But I'd feel for people who wouldn't be able to.

PostPosted: 01/09/18 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

just needed to do some research and realised Magic Johnson buying the Sparks was announced on Feb. 5. Thought it was a week or so earlier. The schedule was released a week later. If we hear nothing by Feb. 5, do we then start to panic?

Randy

PostPosted: 01/09/18 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It may be that the team will just continue business as usual if there is no satisfactory deal done by then.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 01/09/18 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
just needed to do some research and realised Magic Johnson buying the Sparks was announced on Feb. 5. Thought it was a week or so earlier. The schedule was released a week later. If we hear nothing by Feb. 5, do we then start to panic?

Dear toad,

Please reconsider your use of the word "we." Any Liberty fan who wants to panic now, on Feb. 5th, whenever, has that right. Speaking only for myself, I am not in a panic and don't plan to be. I hope good news is ahead. And soon. If there are weeks more of silence, I intend to stay calm. If there is bad news, I'll feel sad, angry, whatever. I'll deal with that if and when I have to.

With very best wishes,

Bob

PostPosted: 01/09/18 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
It may be that the team will just continue business as usual if there is no satisfactory deal done by then.

Definitely true. One possibility that hasn't gotten much discussion here: the hideous Jimmy Dolan could find that he's unable to make a satisfactory deal that'll work in time for the 2018 season. He could make a deal under which changes will begin after the season is over. Or he could decide to keep pursuing a deal while the season is under way, knowing it'll take effect for 2019.

PostPosted: 01/09/18 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Randy wrote:

Definitely true. One possibility that hasn't gotten much discussion here: the hideous Jimmy Dolan could find that he's unable to make a satisfactory deal that'll work in time for the 2018 season. He could make a deal under which changes will begin after the season is over. Or he could decide to keep pursuing a deal while the season is under way, knowing it'll take effect for 2019.

I pointed that out elsewhere. Most of the other teams had actual financial problems where disbanding the team got them out of it. MSG is not in that same boat. They simply are trying to sell off unprofitable portions of their portfolio. I highly doubt that disbanding the team would end up being better for the bottom line.

I also think that any acts big enough to play at MSG would need to be booked over a year in advance. I am willing to bet that part of the stipulation is that they play at MSG this summer and pay for it. The Liberty front office seems to be business as usual so they are still getting salaries.

I have it on good authority that the WNBA recognizes the need to get a schedule out and are trying very hard to get one out by the end of January. I hope they succeed.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/09/18 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Dear toad,

Please reconsider your use of the word "we." Any Liberty fan who wants to panic now, on Feb. 5th, whenever, has that right. Speaking only for myself
, I am not in a panic and don't plan to be. I hope good news is ahead. And soon. If there are weeks more of silence, I intend to stay calm. If there is bad news, I'll feel sad, angry, whatever. I'll deal with that if and when I have to.

With very best wishes,

Bob

Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 01/09/18 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looking at the schedule for MSG for this summer(June/July/August), it's pretty wide open. Billy Joel has his monthly concert, there's Harry Styles, Foo Fighters, U2, Rod Stewart, Sam Smith & Shakira all with one or two dates taken. It could be possible MSG is keeping certain dates clear for the Liberty if they keep the team for 2018 or if they're letting the new owners have them play at MSG.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/09/18 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

This is a likely scenario

PostPosted: 01/09/18 10:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
Randy wrote:

I pointed that out elsewhere. Most of the other teams had actual financial problems where disbanding the team got them out of it. MSG is not in that same boat. They simply are trying to sell off unprofitable portions of their portfolio. I highly doubt that disbanding the team would end up being better for the bottom line.

I also think that any acts big enough to play at MSG would need to be booked over a year in advance. I am willing to bet that part of the stipulation is that they play at MSG this summer and pay for it. The Liberty front office seems to be business as usual so they are still getting salaries.

I have it on good authority that the WNBA recognizes the need to get a schedule out and are trying very hard to get one out by the end of January. I hope they succeed.

All of this makes perfect sense. And is part of why I'm not in a panic.

PostPosted: 01/10/18 2:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:

If they are losing money, I think that disbanding the team would be better for the bottom line (but it may not be a significant amount). They lose all the Liberty home game revenue, but they also lose all the Liberty expenses.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 01/10/18 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:

If they are losing money, I think that disbanding the team would be better for the bottom line (but it may not be a significant amount). They lose all the Liberty home game revenue, but they also lose all the Liberty expenses.

They would not be disbanding the organization that owned the team which I believe makes this more of a layoff from an employment standpoint. That's what usually happens when you close a business owned by a larger business.

tfan

PostPosted: 01/11/18 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
tfan wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:

They would not be disbanding the organization that owned the team which I believe makes this more of a layoff from an employment standpoint. That's what usually happens when you close a business owned by a larger business.

You are saying that a layoff entails extra costs with regard to payments to the state unemployment fund?

The Liberty also incur some costs in the off-season that wouldn't count against a decision to play in the summer as far as expenses/revenue.

Looking at the Liberty staff directory for people who are "Liberty only" versus shared with MSG, I see that Vincent Novicki still lists his job on LinkedIn as Director, Communications - New York Liberty. Daakeia Clarke, Vice President, New York Liberty Team Business Development, isn't on LinkedIn. It's hard to tell which of the other staff are "Liberty only". Swin Cash may be, but also not on LinkedIn.

Last edited by tfan on 01/11/18 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
toad455

PostPosted: 01/11/18 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Still, the league has to know by now what the situation is with the Liberty as they need to get a schedule out by mid-February.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
Page 15 of 90

Jump to: