RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UCF @ #1 Connecticut 1/09/18
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 01/09/18 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stevens makes A LOT of mistakes. I thought, coming from Duke, that she would play 'smarter'...but not so much.

- Amanda Gorman
linkster

PostPosted: 01/09/18 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Other than her shooting tonight Williams has been a man among boys. I wonder how many balls she deflects to team mates without getting credit for the steal?

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 01/09/18 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This team is basically a rugby team in b-ball unis. The complaints about refs are not bad calls re normal officiating it’s allowing a team to basically try to hurt players without consequences and this team seems to get away with it every year.

It is 10 times worse watching from the floor, especially the off the ball stuff.

Last edited by bballjunkie on 01/09/18 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 01/09/18 8:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
sorry, but I find it hilarious that UCOnn fans are complaining about the refs!

We can't bitch about shit calls because we're fans of the most dominant program in the history of NCAA women's basketball?

Or what? Cool

PostPosted: 01/09/18 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="myrtle"sorry, but I find it hilarious that UCOnn fans are complaining about the refs![/quote]

I watched Canada drive the lane over the weekend and go to the line on the slightest brush on her body. On the play I complained about KLS was in the air when the UCF defender came across the lane and literally ran into her, knocking KLS to the floor.

Did you even watch the game? I read a lot of comments about how the AAC schedule is a cakewalk for UConn and the competition is certainly weak but a black and blue bruise isn't less painful when it's caused by a mediocre player's elbow or knee.

Last edited by linkster on 01/09/18 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
sigur3

PostPosted: 01/09/18 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Other than her shooting tonight Williams has been a man among boys. I wonder how many balls she deflects to team mates without getting credit for the steal?

Her length and instincts are frightening. Can't wait to watch her as a pro.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 01/09/18 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
myrtle wrote:
sorry, but I find it hilarious that UCOnn fans are complaining about the refs!

We can't bitch about shit calls because we're fans of the most dominant program in the history of NCAA women's basketball?

Or what? Cool

Maybe, it was just a freakish moment of immaturity mixed with small touches of envy and jealousy. I'd like to think not... But, it's forgivable. Right? Laughing

Queenie

PostPosted: 01/09/18 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think anyone who was tracking the game and looking at the free throw disparity was questioning why y'all were questioning the officials.

I watched part of the game and understand why y'all were. The only reliable way to beat UConn- inasmuch as anything that happens with the frequency of an eclipse can be said to be reliable- is to get down in the mud and drag them there with you.

(now with spelling variations)
bballjunkie

PostPosted: 01/09/18 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah I agree with that premise and actually don’t think Uconn minds getting in the mud but this team is well known for dirty play and has been for years. There is a difference between physical and dirty.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/09/18 10:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

Didn't even have to tune in to know this statement is true .

PostPosted: 01/09/18 11:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Geno apparently spent the entire half time “explaining to the players” that the refs are not there, despite what they think, to help them score just because they are UCONN, that his team has to learn to make a shot through contact.

In his post game press conference he never once took exception with the way the game was officiated but did go after his players for whining about the refs and to a point where he said scarcastically he was going to call the head of offiicsls and relay to them that his players felt that the other team was not letting them play the way they want to, that the other team is actually trying to defend them, that the other team is playing the game the way they want to against UCONN.

Also regarding Azura Stevens defense, he had this observation. She plays both ends of the court extremely well, she is dominant, however the problem is she does not play both ends in the same half. Brrr, it is cold in Storrs tonight especially inside.

PostPosted: 01/10/18 7:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree w/ Geno- he basically said this is a team of pussies. Given the experience they had in the FF last year, such an observation is very disappointing. They have yet to have the 2002 team's epiphany.

It's times like this i long for the balls of the teams of lobo, elliott and rizzotti, et al, which would put your head in a vice and squeeze until there was no more yellow matter custard to drip from your dead eye.

"But those were different times..."

PostPosted: 01/10/18 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
I agree w/ Geno- he basically said this is a team of pussies. Given the experience they had in the FF last year, such an observation is very disappointing. They have yet to have the 2002 team's epiphany.

It's times like this i long for the balls of the teams of lobo, elliott and rizzotti, et al, which would put your head in a vice and squeeze until there was no more yellow matter custard to drip from your dead eye.

You should write greeting cards. Or children's books. You are wasting your gifts.

linkster

PostPosted: 01/10/18 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I miss the days when, faced by physical play, a coach had a couple of enforcers on the bench who would be sent into the game specifically to commit some hard fouls. I've seen games where when UConn starters responded to toughness with toughness and suddenly the refs started blowing their whistles and UConn found itself in foul trouble.

So while I thought that Geno's postgame comments were the right thing to say by a coach to his team he should also see how his penchant for playing 6 players in big games makes his team vulnerable to this sort of gamesmanship. If I had been the coach I would have used Camara to send a message, whether or not she "gets it" in practice. From my experience when only one team is playing tough and they are the underdogs the refs often look the other way, ala Louisville Vs Baylor in 2013(?). And when the other team starts returning the toughness blow for blow the officials suddenly find their whistles. Last night UConn let UCF beat them up and because they were almighty UConn the refs allowed it. But if say Camara came in and knocked a couple of UCF players into the second row the way the game was being called would have changed quickly.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/10/18 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't figure out who's whining or why -- Geno, his players or fans. UConn won by 36 points and shot 50% against what I thought was the best coached defense they've faced all year, albeit a defense composed of mediocre players who had little offensive capability aside from Wright and Saunders.

UConn's bench is doomed if they can't get into AAC games. Camara and Gordon didn't play at all, and I still haven't seen an answer to WHERE IS ANDRA ESPINOZA-HUNTER. Is she on the team, in school, what?

Geno said after the game, in answer to why he doesn't play bench players, something to the effect that, "if you saw how they play in practice, how tentative they are to make plays, you'd wonder why they even got basketball scholarships." Well . . . who recruited and gave scholarships to them, instead of someone else?
dtsnms

PostPosted: 01/10/18 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
I can't figure out who's whining or why -- Geno, his players or fans. UConn won by 36 points and shot 50% against what I thought was the best coached defense they've faced all year, albeit a defense composed of mediocre players who had little offensive capability aside from Wright and Saunders.

UConn's bench is doomed if they can't get into AAC games. Camara and Gordon didn't play at all, and I still haven't seen an answer to WHERE IS ANDRA ESPINOZA-HUNTER. Is she on the team, in school, what?

Geno said after the game, in answer to why he doesn't play bench players, something to the effect that, "if you saw how they play in practice, how tentative they are to make plays, you'd wonder why they even got basketball scholarships." Well . . . who recruited and gave scholarships to them, instead of someone else?

according to what I read Geno said something to the effect of we'll know in the next few days if she's still on the team. He said it's doubtful because she's not there.

He also said the end of the bench players can't string together three good days of practice and they won't play more until they do.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/10/18 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

according to what I read Geno said something to the effect of we'll know in the next few days if she's still on the team. He said it's doubtful because she's not there.

He also said the end of the bench players can't string together three good days of practice and they won't play more until they do.

I have no problem with the hard work and dedication he demands, but if I was a recruit or player I'm not sure I'd put up with much of being publicly trashed. My reaction would likely be don't need it, can go lots of other places without the abuse, take your scholarship and shove it.

If McCallie said this about any of her players people here would be in an uproar.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/10/18 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

As to AEH, I've watched her since she was a 7th grader on the Ossining H.S. varsity when her nickname was "Disney Channel". I wondered why she left the Ossining powerhouse to go to Blair Academy. Well, aside from basketball, which is sometimes what we focus on too much, Blair is an academic college preparatory school. Then I wondered why she left Blair to go back to Ossining. Now she sort of disappears from UConn at the end of an academic semester. I'm just speculating, and it's really none of our business unless AEH wants it to be, but this sounds like some sort of academic or family issue.

As to playing benchers, it's almost ridiculous to criticize Geno on any coaching subject given his prodigious record. However, there is a view that some players build confidence much better when relied upon in actual games rather than in practice, and even more so when they are relied upon in competitive money minutes. Assuming this approach might work, why not take the risk of losing some unimportant AAC or OOC games in order to give these benchers substantial and real minutes? Just a thought.

Another thought I can't resist is that Geno wants to give a lot of minutes to his top six players because he wants all of them to have sufficiently good stats to remain in contention for AA and other post-season awards. I have no idea whether that's actually in his mind, but I think it's a very rational approach if it is. Rational not only for his current star players' careers, but also for the ambitious high school stars he wants to continue attracting.
stever

PostPosted: 01/10/18 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

Laughing worst.Beatle.reference.ever. Wink

dtsnms

PostPosted: 01/10/18 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

I have no problem with the hard work and dedication he demands, but if I was a recruit or player I'm not sure I'd put up with much of being publicly trashed. My reaction would likely be don't need it, can go lots of other places without the abuse, take your scholarship and shove it.

If McCallie said this about any of her players people here would be in an uproar.

I'd have more of a problem if he singled out people in his statement rather than "the bench players" in general. If he said Gordon doesn't hustle or something, that to me is more inappropriate.

I think part of the problem is the prodigious amount of coverage in the area, where some of the people have no better questions than to ask why players didn't play, not just focusing on those that do play and what happened in the game.

I guess I'd rather him be honest if he has to get questions like that instead of him singing their praises and not playing them.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 01/10/18 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

Laughing worst.Beatle.reference.ever. Wink

Thank you! Laughing

btw, I take it you're ok w/ the Lou Reed one? Laughing

Last edited by cthskzfn on 01/10/18 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 01/10/18 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

I'd have more of a problem if he singled out people in his statement rather than "the bench players" in general. If he said Gordon doesn't hustle or something, that to me is more inappropriate.

I think part of the problem is the prodigious amount of coverage in the area, where some of the people have no better questions than to ask why players didn't play, not just focusing on those that do play and what happened in the game.

I guess I'd rather him be honest if he has to get questions like that instead of him singing their praises and not playing them.

I get what you're saying, David, but he didn't just say they needed to improve more to get time on the court. He tacked on "if you saw how they play in practice, how tentative they are to make plays, you'd wonder why they even got basketball scholarships." That seems a bit insulting, yes? I know he's trying to motivate them, but why say that to the press? Many people would keep that type of comment in house.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/10/18 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

I don't doubt it was a dumb question. But I don't think "you'd wonder why they even got basketball scholarships." is being honest, it's being snide and cheap and personal. It's trying to get a laugh from the sycophants in the captive press corps at the expense of those players. He's expecting a reaction of " oh, that's just Geno being Geno, isn't he cute.". "Honest" would be something like "they're not playing because they're having trouble picking up our defense. Most high school players come in not knowing how to play defense and some pick it up faster than others. When they get better with the defense, then they'll play."

Someone should have followed up with "you're the one who gave them scholarships; if you don't know why, who does?"

But as I said, if McCallie (or anyone else for that matter) took a cheap shot like that at their players, this board would be screaming bloody murder.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 01/10/18 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some people, such as SNY UConn women's basketball pre/postgame studio host Gary Apple, wonder aloud what is the concern- UConn's win over UCF last night dovetails nicely with their season avg.s of MoV, shooting %, TO/As ratio, etc etc.; a typical UConn performance.

PostPosted: 01/10/18 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Art, Choke, you both make a really good point.

That isn't necessary. I guess that's his schtick to motivate he thinks.

Certainly isn't the first cringeworthy thing he's said, and won't be the last unfortunately.

Part of the reason I haven't been covering them this season.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: