RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#4 South Carolina @ #15 Missouri 1/07/18

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a dbag like Trump isn't potus. If u were in my safe space, you'd have to be f'd up

PostPosted: 01/07/18 2:13 pm    ::: #4 South Carolina @ #15 Missouri 1/07/18 Reply Reply with quote

cunningham is a chippy one

PostPosted: 01/07/18 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lots of fouls already. Gonna get nasty I think

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 01/07/18 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Both starting bigs for USC - Wilson and Jennings - saddled with 2 fouls each on some very interesting officiating early in the 1st qtr. But USC still tied 18-all after one qtr. despite their absence. Staley notorious for benching players with 2 fouls entire 1st halves, so we'll probably only see them after halftime....

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 01/07/18 2:43 pm    ::: Re: #4 South Carolina @ #15 Missouri 1/07/18 Reply Reply with quote

[quote="cthskzfn"]cunningham is a chippy one[/quote]

Laughing here comes diaper dandy.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a dbag like Trump isn't potus. If u were in my safe space, you'd have to be f'd up

PostPosted: 01/07/18 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dawn's head may explode after the 4th called on Wilson.

PostPosted: 01/07/18 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe cheering your team on would be a better use of time than pouting.

sigur3

PostPosted: 01/07/18 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

the officials are ruining this game...

PostPosted: 01/07/18 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did anyone see why Dawn got that 2nd Teck. All I saw was her sitting on the bench when A'ja fouled out.

scfastpitch

PostPosted: 01/07/18 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
Did anyone see why Dawn got that 2nd Teck. All I saw was her sitting on the bench when A'ja fouled out.

Didn't make the substitution within the time allowed .

calbearman76

PostPosted: 01/07/18 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:

I may be wrong on this but I believe that a technical foul on the bench is considered a foul on the head coach. Of course the announcers were of no help in clarifying the point, but I believe that is the rule. Perhaps someone else on the board could confirm this.

Phil

PostPosted: 01/07/18 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scfastpitch wrote:
bballgrl wrote:

That's what I heard.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 01/07/18 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Circle the calendar for Jan 28. That's when Mizzou vizits the other Columbia.

PostPosted: 01/07/18 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wilson does foul all the time, but rarely gets called for them. I didn't watch this so don't know if these were legit, but maybe they just finally got a ref that wouldn't give her the superstar calls.

PostPosted: 01/07/18 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Wilson does foul all the time, but rarely gets called for them. I didn't watch this so don't know if these were legit, but maybe they just finally got a ref that wouldn't give her the superstar calls.

The first two fouls were early game, call it tight and set a tone type of fouls. I didn't see the third foul, but the fourth and fifth were certainly fouls. There were other calls that may have been more home cooking, but I didn't see anything wrong with the fouls on Wilson.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/07/18 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wilson played nearly half the game, but without her playing 30 minutes this team is a mess.

Made me think of the fact that Notre Dame lost Turner (their equivalent of Wilson) and three other players to season ending injuries but is still winning and even beat South Carolina. Where would SCar be if Wilson was lost for the season? Mid-pack SEC it looks to me.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/07/18 6:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
scfastpitch wrote:
bballgrl wrote:

That's what I heard.

Isn't that a "point of emphasis" in CBB this year? I think the powers that be in the NCAA were sick and tired of coaches who had already burned their time outs treating a fouled out player as a full time out and sitting there drawing up plays for their team when the time is supposed to be used only to get a new player into the game. So officials were supposed to call the time strictly.

dinkytown

PostPosted: 01/07/18 6:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Phil wrote:
scfastpitch wrote:
bballgrl wrote:

That's what I heard.

Isn't that a "point of emphasis" in CBB this year? I think the powers that be in the NCAA were sick and tired of coaches who had already burned their time outs treating a fouled out player as a full time out and sitting there drawing up plays for their team when the time is supposed to be used only to get a new player into the game. So officials were supposed to call the time strictly.

Yes it is a point of emphasis this year. I heard announcers talking about it in a men’s game I was watching. I love that they called it!

linkster

PostPosted: 01/07/18 6:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dinkytown wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Phil wrote:
scfastpitch wrote:
bballgrl wrote:

That's what I heard.

Yes it is a point of emphasis this year. I heard announcers talking about it in a men’s game I was watching. I love that they called it!

I wonder if they call it in her house?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/07/18 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dinkytown wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Phil wrote:
scfastpitch wrote:
bballgrl wrote:

That's what I heard.

And coaches are told before the season starts that there will be no tolerance. It shouldn't come as a surprise.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 01/07/18 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

duplicate

PostPosted: 01/07/18 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Phil wrote:
scfastpitch wrote:
bballgrl wrote:

Didn't make the substitution within the time allowed.

That's what I heard.

That is seriously the DUMBEST tech a coach can get. Especially on the road.

I saw Muffet get one once. Pissed me off!

PostPosted: 01/07/18 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In many ways I thought Staley came off looking real bad. She picked up her first technical after a foul on Missouri. For the second technical she just sat without moving for the 15 seconds - she wasn't talking to her team or arguing or anything. After the game she complained about how two of these officials were the same ones that were in Missouri last season when they lost, and that she had complained before the game about them. Her complaint about Wilson fouling out was that as a player of the year candidate it was unthinkable that she could foul out in only 19 minutes, presumably because if you are a star you should get all the calls. The truth is that Missouri went after Wilson and got under her skin. She didn't react well, and Staley didn't help her any.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 01/07/18 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
In many ways I thought Staley came off looking real bad. She picked up her first technical after a foul on Missouri. For the second technical she just sat without moving for the 15 seconds - she wasn't talking to her team or arguing or anything. After the game she complained about how two of these officials were the same ones that were in Missouri last season when they lost, and that she had complained before the game about them. Her complaint about Wilson fouling out was that as a player of the year candidate it was unthinkable that she could foul out in only 19 minutes, presumably because if you are a star you should get all the calls. The truth is that Missouri went after Wilson and got under her skin. She didn't react well, and Staley didn't help her any.

You're right on MOs M.O. Cunningham scored 27 points and didn't even ATTEMPT a three. Her goal was to mix it up. Last year Auburn Coach TWF made a comment (I think she later retracted it) about Mizzou being dirty. Mizzou ain't shying down. They know what they're doing

I wouldn't be surprised Dawn knows what she's doing as well. she definitely called out the refs but she could also be calling out her team.

PostPosted: 01/07/18 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Would have been nice for those of us who were at other games to see comment on the game rather than to come home and read a bunch of comments on Dawn and her Ts. Especially since SC lost. But oh well.

PostPosted: 01/07/18 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Would have been nice for those of us who were at other games to see comment on the game rather than to come home and read a bunch of comments on Dawn and her Ts. Especially since SC lost. But oh well.

well, take the floor and tell us what you saw or what you thought was important?

PostPosted: 01/07/18 11:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

well, take the floor and tell us what you saw or what you thought was important?

Since I was at the JMU game and haven’t seen tape or reports except for a mention on Twitter that Mizzou won I can hardly do that....which was my point.

PostPosted: 01/07/18 11:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
myrtle wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Since I was at the JMU game and haven’t seen tape or reports except for a mention on Twitter that Mizzou won I can hardly do that....which was my point.

Pretty sure it's on WatchESPN. You can watch it start to finish.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/07/18 11:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
myrtle wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Pretty sure it's on WatchESPN. You can watch it start to finish.

Yeah, I can NOW. I might, but right now it’s after 11, I was out until after 10, and it’s just not real high on my list of priorities for tonight. I’d just hoped to see some kind of discussion of the GAME is all. Never mind.

PostPosted: 01/07/18 11:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

Actually the game was quite a bit about the early foul trouble of South Carolina and the physical play of Missouri. Alexis Jennings picked up two quick fouls in the first minute and sat the rest of the half. Wilson picked up two offensive fouls in the next three minutes, both on plays where she reacted to some minor jostling with more major jostling. She sat the rest of the quarter and when she came back in the second she couldn't get going. Finally she got the ball down low and buried her shoulder in the defender to pick up her third foul. South Carolina went cold in the second quarter and Missouri took control.

In the second half Missouri got hot. Sophie Cunningham had a big day with Jennings and Wilson playing tentatively on defense She wound up with 27 points, shooting 9-10 FG, with 7 rebounds and 6 assists. South Carolina stayed close by forcing turnovers, but Missouri kept making the big play each time it looked like it might get close.

ewecon

PostPosted: 01/08/18 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why is it whenever a good team loses it's always because the officiating was terrible? The refs weren't out to get you. They only called 6 more PF's on SC than they did Mizz. How come no one mentioned that two Mizz players fouled out and two others had 4 fouls?

Point of fact: You didn't lose because of the refs. You lost because you got out-rebounded and allowed them to shoot 61% from behind the arc and 56% overall.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 01/08/18 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ewecon wrote:
Why is it whenever a good team loses it's always because the officiating was terrible? The refs weren't out to get you. They only called 6 more PF's on SC than they did Mizz. How come no one mentioned that two Mizz players fouled out and two others had 4 fouls?

Point of fact: You didn't lose because of the refs. You lost because you got out-rebounded and allowed them to shoot 61% from behind the arc and 56% overall.

While i'm general agreement, the number of fouls called is no more important than who gets called for them and when.

Pretty sure Dawn wouldn't care about the number if Wilson didn't get #3 until 5:00 left in the 3rd.

That said, the game sure did seem to draw out the old punkish Staley we all remember from her Temple days. Dirtiest mouth in WCB.

PostPosted: 01/08/18 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ewecon wrote:

I hope you didn't take my comments that way. I very much agree. I would go a step further and say that they also lost because Staley and her team got frustrated and blamed the refs instead of adjusting to them. Missouri is a very good team and you have to be mentally tough to play them. South Carolina wasn't.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 01/08/18 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The 5th foul was flat out dumb nothing to do with anyone else but the player.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 01/08/18 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
ewecon wrote:

While i'm general agreement, the number of fouls called is no more important than who gets called for them and when.

Pretty sure Dawn wouldn't care about the number if Wilson didn't get #3 until 5:00 left in the 3rd.

That said, the game sure did seem to draw out the old punkish Staley we all remember from her Temple days. Dirtiest mouth in WCB.

She's definitely a trip. First team All American F-Bomber... Laughing

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/08/18 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
ewecon wrote:

She gets it from Geno Laughing

PostPosted: 01/08/18 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
RavenDog wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
ewecon wrote:

yeah Laughing no. Mad

I can't remember the year, but it was when the NCAA tourn. did the pod configuration, and Temple played at Gampel.

I have never heard that many f-bombs before or since. (and i drop them at a ridiculous rate myself). It was more pathetic than funny. She made Geno in his prime sound like a girlie girl. Razz

PostPosted: 01/08/18 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As far as I can tell she's a lot better at self-promoting than at coaching. And now that she thinks she's a celebrity, she thinks officials should bend over backwards for her.

But hey, she now has a title and is Olympic coach so that makes her the equal of Geno, right? Everybody should kiss her ass they way they do him, right?

linkster

PostPosted: 01/08/18 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
As far as I can tell she's a lot better at self-promoting than at coaching. And now that she thinks she's a celebrity, she thinks officials should bend over backwards for her.

But hey, she now has a title and is Olympic coach so that makes her the equal of Geno, right? Everybody should kiss her ass they way they do him, right?

Slick attempt to drag anti-UConn bias into the thread. Kudos. Very Happy

Queenie

PostPosted: 01/08/18 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
RavenDog wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
ewecon wrote:

yeah Laughing no. Mad

I can't remember the year, but it was when the NCAA tourn. did the pod configuration, and Temple played at Gampel.

I have never heard that many f-bombs before or since. (and i drop them at a ridiculous rate myself). It was more pathetic than funny. She made Geno in his prime sound like a girlie girl. Razz

Was that the year Rutgers played Hartford and Rizzotti was, like, eight and 3/4 months pregnant or something? If it was, I was there too, back in my Rutgers fan days. (And my notes say that the officiating was horrific in the Temple game, FWIW.)

PostPosted: 01/08/18 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Slick attempt to drag anti-UConn bias into the thread. Kudos. Very Happy

I don't think Carly Simon was writing about you.
But she could have been.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 01/08/18 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
RavenDog wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
ewecon wrote:

yeah Laughing no. Mad

Was that the year Rutgers played Hartford and Rizzotti was, like, eight and 3/4 months pregnant or something? If it was, I was there too, back in my Rutgers fan days. (And my notes say that the officiating was horrific in the Temple game, FWIW.)

That's it!

Notes?!

PostPosted: 01/09/18 12:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Queenie wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
yeah Laughing no. Mad

That's it!

Notes?!

Well, I wasn't writing full GNoD back then and also there were four games that day. But from where I was sitting there were apparently a lot of blown calls and horrible officiating, and good reason for Dawn to get a T. (My notes also compared the game to the 'Nova-BC BET quarter that year, which I at the time compared to a dentist's visit without Novocaine.)

(shameless plug: I ramble on quite a lot about all the games I go to on my blog, and I even publish the nasty comments)

PostPosted: 01/09/18 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so what's your blog called?

PostPosted: 01/09/18 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
so what's your blog called?

I write the Game Notes of Doom; link's below my signature. (Be warned; when I say ramble, I do mean ramble. I'm still straightening out some of the tagging, too.)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: