RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The Official 2018 Coaches on the Hotseat thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lillian Hidgepork

PostPosted: 01/09/18 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UK from everything I can find online does not have a lot of immediate help on the way in terms of recruits.

At face value his current staff are going to struggle getting players.

Associate Head Coach Kyra Elzy was fired from her job at her alma mater Tennessee. Many reasons why this could happen, but if you cant recruit to Tennessee( and I am not a Tennessee fan) then you sure cant recruit to Kentucky.

Lin Dunn. While she maybe a hall of famer, the game has passed her by. She does not recruit according the the papers and is just basically a consultant that he brought on when all the coaches left.

Niya Butts was the head coach at Arizona for several years. We see how that turned out.

Mitchell has admitted he needs to be around the program more( I cant remember where I seen this, but when all was leaving he made this statement I am sure google could find it if someone has time) so that means he is not on top of recruiting like he needs to be. I think this will support what I said in the beginning, that they do not appear to have alot of help coming. He lost some of the best instate recruits to Jeff Walz and Louisville( who I am not a fan of either) and if you can protect your home state at the flagstaff state university then you got big trouble.

He may survive another year or so, but unless something changes soon, this is a train wreck from the outside looking in. From my casual fan perception, this will get to the point of a coach thats stayed too long and every year he is there it will set the recruiting back more and more till they are a bottom dweller in the SEC. Oh wait, they already are.

http://www.secsports.com/standings/womens-basketball

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/09/18 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some people make better assistants than HCs. That is a proven fact. And are happier doing it. Or as my dad used to say (and it's politically incorrect these days, I suppose), "Some folks are much better Indians than they are chiefs."

Make of that what you will.

PostPosted: 01/09/18 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
He's not my coach, I just think its absurd to think he is on the hot seat with one bad year.

Lillian Hidgepork wrote:
UK from everything I can find online does not have a lot of immediate help on the way in terms of recruits.

At face value his current staff are going to struggle getting players.

He may survive another year or so, but unless something changes soon, this is a train wreck from the outside looking in. From my casual fan perception, this will get to the point of a coach thats stayed too long and every year he is there it will set the recruiting back more and more till they are a bottom dweller in the SEC.

Last eight seasons:
2009–10 - 28–8 (Elite Eight)
2010–11 - 25-9 (Second Round)
2011–12 - 28–7 (Elite Eight)
2012–13 - 30–6 (Elite Eight)
2013–14 - 26–9 (Sweet 16)
2014–15 - 24–10 (Second Round)
2015–16 - 25–8 (Sweet 16)
2016–17 - 22–11 (Second Round)

Actually, this looks relatively similar (in terms of year-end finishes) to another coach:

2009–10 - 30-6 (Elite Eight)
2010–11 - 32-4 (Elite Eight)
2011–12 - 27-6 (Elite Eight)
2012–13 - 33-3 (Elite Eight)
2013–14 - 28-7 (Second Round)
2014–15 - 23-11 (Sweet 16)
2015–16 - 20-12
2016–17 - 28-6 (Second Round)

This is the record of Duke's Joanne P. McCallie.

Basically, both coaches have done very well over the past eight years. Each coach won at least 25 games in six of eight seasons. Each coach made at least 3 Elite Eights. Each coach made the Sweet 16 at least five teams.

That being said, how are both coaches trending? This year for Mitchell, the trend is down, but it could be trending up for next year (see below). For McCallie, Duke bounced back last year and is having a good year this year, but the program may be trending downward).

McCallie loses Lexie Brown, Rebecca Greenwell, and Erin Mathias. The three seniors account for 42.1 ppg and 15.9 rpg, not to mention over 58 percent of the team's steals, over 58 percent of the team's made three-point baskets, over 58 percent of the team's made free throws.

Unlike previous years, Duke does not have a stellar recruiting class coming in. None of the three players is ranked in the top 50; all three have rankings over 100 by at least one rating service. Now, Duke will get Kyra Lambert and Mikayla Boykin back next year, which will help, to go with Gorecki and Odom. But unless the freshmen post players develop and unless recruiting picks up, there will be very little depth.

Still, with the current roster, Duke can survive one down recruiting year, if Lambert and Boykin come back healthy and Jade Williams gets stronger and develops into a solid post presence. But not two bad recruiting years. 2019 recruiting is key for Coach P.

With Kentucky, the team loses three seniors, but returns its three best players. And Kentucky signed Ryhne Howard, the #18 player in 2018, and Blair Green, the #46 player in the class, per Prospects Nation (Howard is #31 and Green is #71, per ESPN Hoopgurlz).

In other words, it is premature to have Mitchell on the hot seat (or McCallie, for that matter). He survived a wave of transfers and staff defections, much like McCallie survived some transfers and an investigation into her conduct based on a complaint from a former player). And as I have learned (the hard way), not liking a coach and not getting the exact results one might expect are not reasons for putting a coach on the hot seat, especially when he/she wins at least 70 percent of his/her games.

As an additional caveat, Duke extended Coach P through the 2020-21 season. Not sure of the financial terms of the contract extension, but in 2015, she was credited with nearly $1.2 million, an amount that basically was unchanged from 2014 (when she was credited with nearly $1.2 million, including a more than $200,000 raise in her base pay, which was reported at $975,000).

Kentucky just extended Mitchell's contract last month,to run through 2022. Mitchell's base salary is $825,000; he will receive five percent increases each year. As reported, he will also will get paid from incentives. He will receive $250,000 for an Elite Eight appearance, $400,000 for a Final Four appearance, and $500,000 if the team wins the national title.

Given what these two coaches earn, the opportunities to terminate either or both coaches for cause - when the universities would not owe the full amounts of the respective contracts - was back at the end of 2016, when Duke launched an investigation into McCallie's conduct and Kentucky was dealing with a mass exit of six players. Since both coaches were retained - and since extended - there is virtually zero likelihood of either coach being terminated without cause, especially with more than one year remaining on the respective contracts.

PRballer

PostPosted: 01/10/18 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Regarding Kentucky - good podcast in the Lexington Herald-Leader by a local sports columnist and women's hoops beat writer Jennifer Smith. She sheds some good insights - some of which I didn't know before. Essentially Mitchell had made some bad hires on his staff over the years, then was rather "hands off" with the day to day, and then the avalanche of transfers happened for a variety of (different) reasons. Linnae Harper was the first major departure and then the rest went like wildfire - but Camara and Jennings were easily the biggest losses, perhaps lured by the culture from high school/AAU and whispers they should go to "better" programs aka UConn and South Carolina.

Net/net recruiting took a huge hit and they lost basically two recruiting classes in a row (thought his current crop of freshmen have promise, they just need time to mature).

The podcast is in the story below on SoundCloud - more journalism like this please!

http://amp.kentucky.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/sidelines-with-john-clay/article193701189.html?__twitter_impression=true

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 01/11/18 6:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Regarding the defections among coaching staff and players, that has to be one of the most amicable aftermaths of any mass breakup. I still haven't heard of any bad blood among anyone involved.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 01/29/18 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I expect NDSU to make a change and sever ties with Maren Walseth after this season. Bison have won one conference game this far with the Bunnies rolling into town next. And they really aren't competitive in the losses. Walseth is in her 4th season and the new AD hopefully will look to make a change

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/29/18 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
Regarding Kentucky - good podcast in the Lexington Herald-Leader by a local sports columnist and women's hoops beat writer Jennifer Smith. She sheds some good insights - some of which I didn't know before. Essentially Mitchell had made some bad hires on his staff over the years, then was rather "hands off" with the day to day, and then the avalanche of transfers happened for a variety of (different) reasons. Linnae Harper was the first major departure and then the rest went like wildfire - but Camara and Jennings were easily the biggest losses, perhaps lured by the culture from high school/AAU and whispers they should go to "better" programs aka UConn and South Carolina.

Net/net recruiting took a huge hit and they lost basically two recruiting classes in a row (thought his current crop of freshmen have promise, they just need time to mature).

The podcast is in the story below on SoundCloud - more journalism like this please!

http://amp.kentucky.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/sidelines-with-john-clay/article193701189.html?__twitter_impression=true

Watching tOSU these days, I can't help wondering if Harper regrets her decision. And I'm betting on McGuff's chair being a little warm, maybe next year.

PostPosted: 01/29/18 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pitt?
Wake?
Georgia Tech?

The first two programs seem especially stuck, even with what seemed like good hires at the time. GT has some great recruits, and I think Joseph is a pretty good coach - just seems like they haven't been in the tourney for a while.

joetro

PostPosted: 01/29/18 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also, Minnesota? Ole Miss? Auburn?

mzonefan

PostPosted: 01/29/18 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Penn State? Coquese is cool and a good recruiter, but after top finishes in the B1G from 2011 to 2014 what's happened since?

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 01/29/18 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wiki'd GT. Starting in 2006 they had a run of 6 NCAA appearances.
Then took a year off before last appearance 4 years ago. Joseph has been going the international route lately and eschewing the rich instate talent. Certainly nothing sustained. In my mind was never a high profile program so maybe OK with that schools admin that she flies under the radar.

I kind of feel the same about Wake.

Minnesota did get rid of Borton because of performance so one would think the admin would scrutinize Stollings. Outside of Volleyball, everything at the U is mediocre as the of late especially with the faltering of the men's team. She may get a few more seasons to make a mark.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/29/18 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
I wiki'd GT. Starting in 2006 they had a run of 6 NCAA appearances.
Then took a year off before last appearance 4 years ago. Joseph has been going the international route lately and eschewing the rich instate talent.

Georgia Tech has some of the same problems that Stanford fans complain about. They don't lower the admission standards for non-football athletes and Tech is not easy to get into.

PostPosted: 01/29/18 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Minnesota did get rid of Borton because of performance so one would think the admin would scrutinize Stollings. Outside of Volleyball, everything at the U is mediocre as the of late especially with the faltering of the men's team. She may get a few more seasons to make a mark.

There’s been a couple of administration changes since the Borton firing, and the prior administration gave Stollings an extension to 2021 before bowing out.

I think Stollings would be alright if she’d tweek a few things, such as emphasizing defense more, going away from a 4 guard system, and closing the Minnesota borders (build a wall). These things aren’t inconceivably out of her reach. As it is this season, the team is within reach of the NCAA tourney with a couple more upsets and winning the games they’re supposed to win.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 01/30/18 9:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Watching tOSU these days, I can't help wondering if Harper regrets her decision. And I'm betting on McGuff's chair being a little warm, maybe next year.

There is no reason for them to struggle and lose those games they lost. Player for player, I don't think anyone can argue that they have by far the most talent in the Big Ten this year. However, they play with absolutely zero discipline and he lets them do whatever they want, especially Mitchell. Talent will only take you so far.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/30/18 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

There is no reason for them to struggle and lose those games they lost. Player for player, I don't think anyone can argue that they have by far the most talent in the Big Ten this year. However, they play with absolutely zero discipline and he lets them do whatever they want, especially Mitchell. Talent will only take you so far.

And they play no defense at all.

PostPosted: 02/09/18 10:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm wondering about Coquese Washington. Aside of a nice run with Maggie Lucas, her time at Penn State has been pretty bad. This year looks to be the fourth in a row without making a tournament, and it could be the third out of four years with a losing record.

I'm surprised she has struggled like this.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/09/18 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
I'm wondering about Coquese Washington. Aside of a nice run with Maggie Lucas, her time at Penn State has been pretty bad. This year looks to be the fourth in a row without making a tournament, and it could be the third out of four years with a losing record.

I'm surprised she has struggled like this.

Year, School, Overall Record, Big Ten record, Big Ten standings, postseason finish:

2007–08 Penn State 13–18 4–14 10th
2008–09 Penn State 11–18 6–12 T–7th
2009–10 Penn State 17–14 8–10 T–6th WNIT 1st Round
2010–11 Penn State 25–10 11–5 2nd NCAA 2nd Round
2011–12 Penn State 26–7 13–3 1st NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2012–13 Penn State 26–6 14–2 1st NCAA 2nd Round
2013–14 Penn State 24–8 13–3 T–1st NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2014–15 Penn State 6–24 3–15 T-13th
2015–16 Penn State 12–19 6–12 11th
2016–17 Penn State 21-11 9-7 T-6th WNIT Third Round

Lucas graduated in 2014. And while there was a dip afterward followed by improvement last year, this year has been a regression - 14-11 overall, 5-7 in the Big Ten.

In 2015, Washington received a two-year contract extension, designed to keep her through at least the 2018-19 campaign.

So it will be interesting to see if Penn State wants to make a move this year (with one year remaining) or just let her contract expire.

CoachRossWBB

PostPosted: 02/12/18 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think sometimes it comes down to how much the fan base is invested.

Last edited by CoachRossWBB on 03/15/18 7:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 02/12/18 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Terri Williams-Flournoy at Auburn should be on the hot seat. However, due to an unexplainable extension last year, in addition to a new AD and the incoming recruiting class being very promising, the word is that she will get another year regardless of the outcome of this season.

Her style of play will never produce a team capable of competing with the top tier SEC teams. She is a very nice woman that runs a clean program and graduates her players, but when you get paid $600,000 plus a year, results have to come.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/12/18 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CoachRossWBB wrote:
Is it time to start looking at Clemson? They are 1-12 in conference and will finish 1-15 or 2-14 at best. The wins on their schedule are mostly against losing teams in lower tier conferences. The win against BC may be the best on the season.

I would agree with you, based on their records before this year:

2013–14 13-19
2014–15 9-21
2015–16 4-24
2016–17 15-16

Before this year, her teams were 8-55 in the ACC. This year (as of 02/12/2018), Clemson is 1-12 in the ACC and 11-15 overall.

Problem is, Audra Smith received a contract extension through the 2020-21 season. Is Clemson really going to buy out the remaining three years of her contract?

CoachRossWBB

PostPosted: 02/12/18 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
CoachRossWBB wrote:
Is it time to start looking at Clemson? They are 1-12 in conference and will finish 1-15 or 2-14 at best. The wins on their schedule are mostly against losing teams in lower tier conferences. The win against BC may be the best on the season.

2013–14 13-19
2014–15 9-21
2015–16 4-24
2016–17 15-16

Before this year, her teams were 8-55 in the ACC. This year (as of 02/12/2018), Clemson is 1-12 in the ACC and 11-15 overall.

Problem is, Audra Smith received a contract extension through the 2020-21 season. Is Clemson really going to buy out the remaining three years of her contract?

I think they have to with the experience she had coming back. For them to take this big a step backward it doesn't make sense to continue on this track.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/12/18 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CoachRossWBB wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
CoachRossWBB wrote:

2013–14 13-19
2014–15 9-21
2015–16 4-24
2016–17 15-16

I think they have to with the experience she had coming back. For them to take this big a step backward it doesn't make sense to continue on this track.

I agree that they should.

At Clemson, athletic department revenue was over $104 million in fiscal year 2017, eclipsing $100 million for the first time and up from $69 million in fiscal year 2014. That being sad, total expenses were $103,059,980 in fiscal year 2017.

The question is whether Clemson remains committed to WBB, and, if so, the extent of the commitment (and whether the extent includes buying out three years of a coaching contract and paying a new coach).

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 02/12/18 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Her salary before the extension was reportedly $245K plus $30K in other university compensation so a buyout after presumably receiving a raise is likely going to be $900K.

CoachRossWBB

PostPosted: 02/17/18 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Candace Jackson at College of Charleston is having a terrible season and seems to be heading in the wrong direction.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 02/17/18 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
CoachRossWBB wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
CoachRossWBB wrote:

2013–14 13-19
2014–15 9-21
2015–16 4-24
2016–17 15-16

I agree that they should.

At Clemson, athletic department revenue was over $104 million in fiscal year 2017, eclipsing $100 million for the first time and up from $69 million in fiscal year 2014. That being sad, total expenses were $103,059,980 in fiscal year 2017.

Here is the real question? Would the athletic donors at Clemson prefer an ACC Championship in WBB or one more win in football every five years. I think we know the answer so I can't see buying out 3 years of a WBB coach.

The question is whether Clemson remains committed to WBB, and, if so, the extent of the commitment (and whether the extent includes buying out three years of a coaching contract and paying a new coach).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: