RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2018 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 91, 92, 93  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/08/18 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
Who is the best of the three prospects on FSU, Thomas, Wright or Alix?

http://cs.seminoles.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/FSU-Stats-1718-1.pdf?_ga=2.232993754.59518326.1515084618-151366500.1492611972

Wilkinson Very Happy.

I may be a tiny bit biased.

PostPosted: 01/08/18 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Right now, excluding McCowan, the potential 1st rounders are(*locks):

Wilson*(South Carolina)
K. Mitchell*(Ohio St.)
DeShields*(Tennessee)
G. Williams*(UCONN)
Vadeeva*(Russia)
Canada(UCLA)
Russell(Tennessee)
Scaife(Rutgers)
L. Brown(Duke)
Billings(UCLA)
S. Thomas(FSU)
Nared(Tennessee)
Nurse(UCONN)
Mavunga(Ohio St.)
K. Jensen(Oklahoma St.)
K. James(Murray St.)

Vivians(Miss.St.)

Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/08/18 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
Vivians(Miss.St.)

Yeah, that's the main name I was gonna add as well. You also have the potential early-entries like Stevens and Collier, and maybe even Ji Su Park if someone was feeling brave.

Do we know what's happening with Brianna Turner? She'd have probably been a first round pick before the ACL injury. Has she said she's staying at Notre Dame for an extra year?

PostPosted: 01/08/18 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
curious to know who you guys think have upped there draft stock so far this season. The two that come to mind are Russell & T. Scaife
I would not be surprised to see those two get drafted higher than projected.

I've got Vivians going from 2nd round to first.

I've always had Russell going to Dallas. You guys flip flip flip from game to game. I bet you're no longer down on Gabby.

No i am down on gabby lol , that has not changed. I do not want her on my team , id rather have Russell. Although im still not 100% sold on her neither. When its our time to pick we have to choose the best available . If i had my choice you know my option starts with a P and ends with a P .

PostPosted: 01/08/18 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
She'd have probably been a first round pick before the ACL injury. Has she said she's staying at Notre Dame for an extra year?

Have you ever heard of a player red-shirting only to not return next year?
What would be the point of red-shirting? I'm sure she's well enough to play at some level this year, but McGraw wanted her for a full year at presumably 100% next year.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 01/08/18 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well I hope your team is shortening the court to half its size then you should be in good shape Laughing

Shades

PostPosted: 01/08/18 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Right now, excluding McCowan, the potential 1st rounders are(*locks):

Wilson*(South Carolina)
K. Mitchell*(Ohio St.)
DeShields*(Tennessee)
G. Williams*(UCONN)
Vadeeva*(Russia)
Canada(UCLA)
Russell(Tennessee)
Scaife(Rutgers)
L. Brown(Duke)
Billings(UCLA)
S. Thomas(FSU)
Nared(Tennessee)
Nurse(UCONN)
Mavunga(Ohio St.)
K. Jensen(Oklahoma St.)
K. James(Murray St.)

You forgot to also exclude Stevens (who everybody talks about), Collier (who nobody talks about), and Cunningham (who I just talked about).

I'd put Lexie Brown and Kia Nurse as first round locks ahead of Vadeeva. Too many questions surrounding Vadeeva to consider her an absolute lock, although I doubt I'd be complaining if the Lynx picked her up in the first.

It's hard to imagine Russell falling out of the first.... maybe if her game falls off a cliff.

I don't see enough of Billings and Canada to really have an opinion, so I somewhat defer to whatever hype they have produced.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/08/18 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.espn.com/core/video/iframe?id=21995153&endcard=false" allowfullscreen frameborder="0"></iframe>

Shades

PostPosted: 01/08/18 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.espn.com/core/video/iframe?id=21995393&endcard=false" allowfullscreen frameborder="0"></iframe>

If she's trying to get Missouri to "the elite of the elite", I don't suppose she'll be declaring early.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/08/18 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.espn.com/core/video/iframe?id=21995476&endcard=false" allowfullscreen frameborder="0"></iframe>

Davis4632

PostPosted: 01/08/18 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What about UNC guard Paris Kea? She's draft eligible and she's playing on a bad UNC team. If she's tired of losing and decided to come out, would she get drafted?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/08/18 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
What about UNC guard Paris Kea? She's draft eligible and she's playing on a bad UNC team. If she's tired of losing and decided to come out, would she get drafted?

I like Paris Kea , and your correct i dont think she needs to be on that UNC team . If she can develope a more consistent 3pt shot she could be very very dangerous. I think someone needs to give this gal a look , her mid range is unconscious.

PostPosted: 01/08/18 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:

She could be a hidden gem type. But you don't generally leave college early unless you're a first round prospect.

Last edited by Shades on 01/31/18 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
sigur3

PostPosted: 01/08/18 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
curious to know who you guys think have upped there draft stock so far this season. The two that come to mind are Russell & T. Scaife

I've always had Russell going to Dallas. You guys flip flip flip from game to game. I bet you're no longer down on Gabby.

No i am down on gabby lol , that has not changed. I do not want her on my team , id rather have Russell. Although im still not 100% sold on her neither. When its our time to pick we have to choose the best available . If i had my choice you know my option starts with a P and ends with a P .

Pdiamond DeShieldsp?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/08/18 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Davis4632 wrote:

She could good be a hidden gem type. But you don't generally leave college early unless you're a first round prospect.

For Kea to make the WNBA, she'd better hope they expand to 18 teams next year.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/08/18 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Pdiamond DeShieldsp?

Laughing Laughing Laughing i like what you did here !

PostPosted: 01/09/18 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Do we know what's happening with Brianna Turner? She'd have probably been a first round pick before the ACL injury. Has she said she's staying at Notre Dame for an extra year?

Notre Dame center Brianna Turner to miss upcoming season, return in 2018-19
https://www.ndinsider.com/basketball/womens/notre-dame-center-brianna-turner-to-miss-upcoming-season-return/article_e3c8f428-9260-11e7-904e-f32d746c604f.html

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/09/18 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Thomas has some potential and has the strength and athleticism. Is she willing to learn to play proper basketball and to really work on her shooting?

Going into this year, Thomas had never made a three-point basket and was a career 65.0 percent shooter from the foul line. She is 0-2 from three in 2017-18 and is shooting 65.3 percent from the charity strip.

She is a very good collegiate scorer and is a force in the paint, at 5-11. But the list of 5-11 post players who have dominated in college but have not been able to make the transition to the wing in the W or be successful as an undersized four is extremely long.

To me, she is not a first round pick, but someone I would look at in the second round.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/09/18 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Thomas has some potential and has the strength and athleticism. Is she willing to learn to play proper basketball and to really work on her shooting?

Going into this year, Thomas had never made a three-point basket and was a career 65.0 percent shooter from the foul line. She is 0-2 from three in 2017-18 and is shooting 65.3 percent from the charity strip.

She is a very good collegiate scorer and is a force in the paint, at 5-11. But the list of 5-11 post players who have dominated in college but have not been able to make the transition to the wing in the W or be successful as an undersized four is extremely long.

To me, she is not a first round pick, but someone I would look at in the second round.

Wait Shakayla Or Gabby Williams Cool Cool

PostPosted: 01/09/18 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Fair point, but....

Gabby is a much, much better passer and facilitator, with a better handle than Thomas. Williams is also the better rebounder and has better athleticism (though Thomas is no slough in that department). Gabby is also the more versatile defender, being able to stop perimeter players and forwards in the post.

That being said, shooting remains an issue. Her overall shooting percentage this year is ridiculous (over 60 percent) and she is up to 69 percent from the line (but on less than two attempts per game), but she is still 0-4 from distance and not a threat from three.

The other concern...if someone with all of Gabby Williams' gifts and skills working under the tutelage of Geno Auriemma, the best coach in the game right now, cannot improve her range on her shooting, what is the likelihood that she develops such range on her shot in the pros?

Still, Williams checks more boxes than Thomas, in my book, and is worth the first round pick, especially for a team like Chicago, which can use an uber athlete defender, rebounder, and secondary playmaker at the three and has the versatility in its post players (e.g., Dolson) to allow them to step out to open up lanes for driving.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 01/09/18 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Plus Gabby plays team basketball and a role the team needs and not just for herself, does Thomas actually play defense or just look for anything to get her own?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/09/18 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Fair point, but....

Gabby is a much, much better passer and facilitator, with a better handle than Thomas. Williams is also the better rebounder and has better athleticism (though Thomas is no slough in that department). Gabby is also the more versatile defender, being able to stop perimeter players and forwards in the post.

That being said, shooting remains an issue. Her overall shooting percentage this year is ridiculous (over 60 percent) and she is up to 69 percent from the line (but on less than two attempts per game), but she is still 0-4 from distance and not a threat from three.

The other concern...if someone with all of Gabby Williams' gifts and skills working under the tutelage of Geno Auriemma, the best coach in the game right now, cannot improve her range on her shooting, what is the likelihood that she develops such range on her shot in the pros?

Still, Williams checks more boxes than Thomas, in my book, and is worth the first round pick, especially for a team like Chicago, which can use an uber athlete defender, rebounder, and secondary playmaker at the three and has the versatility in its post players (e.g., Dolson) to allow them to step out to open up lanes for driving.

I'm not sure they're as different as you make it sound (or enough different to justify the difference in draft rank commonly assumed). Williams certainly dribbles and passes better, but still not well enough to play guard, so she remains an undersized 3 with no outside shot. Both are very athletic but I think Thomas is stronger and more physical which may actually be a bigger virtue for a WNBA forward than Williams' superior quickness. Williams is smarter and the better overall player and deserves a higher draft spot, but both are flawed and I'm not sure they're all that far apart at the next level. Both are risks with limitations.

BTW, I don't disagree with your 2nd round assessment for Thomas.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 01/09/18 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
stever wrote:
Who is the best of the three prospects on FSU, Thomas, Wright or Alix?

Unquestionably Thomas. Not because she's great, but because I don't see the other two as being WNBA prospects.

Agree 100% with your Thomas assessment. I'd add conditioning to your list also. She's a puzzle...

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/09/18 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

I'm not sure they're as different as you make it sound (or enough different to justify the difference in draft rank commonly assumed). Williams certainly dribbles and passes better, but still not well enough to play guard, so she remains an undersized 3 with no outside shot. Both are very athletic but I think Thomas is stronger and more physical which may actually be a bigger virtue for a WNBA forward than Williams' superior quickness. Williams is smarter and the better overall player and deserves a higher draft spot, but both are flawed and I'm not sure they're all that far apart at the next level. Both are risks with limitations.

BTW, I don't disagree with your 2nd round assessment for Thomas.

Not sure anyone was projecting Williams as a WNBA guard. I see her as a SF in the pros - and, as we both noted, an undersized three with no outside shot.

Both Thomas and Williams are very athletic. Williams' leaping ability, however, is otherwordly and is a measurement that scouts (well, NBA scouts) would drool over. But I agree with you that Thomas is stronger.

Williams is the more versatile defender. And her passing and overall court vision are much better than Thomas.

But I agree with you that both are flawed, which is why I brought up a team like Chicago for Williams. I think they are players whose success depends on the teams that take them (and the personnel on those teams), as they are not players that you could just put on any team and have them be successful.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/09/18 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To be fair leaping ability should be in favor of Thomas . She can dunk , not sure if Gabby can or not , but at least ive seen Thomas attempt in reality .

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 91, 92, 93  Next
Page 36 of 93

Jump to: