RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

ND can't catch a break...fourth ACL injury this year

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CBiebel

PostPosted: 01/05/18 5:16 pm    ::: ND can't catch a break...fourth ACL injury this year Reply Reply with quote

Now it's Lili Thompson who is out. She seems to be taking it well, based on her blog: http://seriousathletesonly.com/my-acl-story/

ND is starting 3 guards and doesn't have any scholarship guards to come off the bench, just two forwards. They're down to 7 players.

This is actually fairly reminiscent of 1997 when ND had so many injuries that they had to suit up a student manager, literally (Christy Grady, who played a bit in HS. She actually had playing time towards the end of the Georgetown game in the BET, about 12 or so hours after finding out she was suiting up, and even scored a basket, which earned her the "CNN Play of the Day.") That year McGraw even borrowed a Volleyball player and that player was injured.

I recall Duke having a bunch of injuries a year or two ago, but I'm not sure if they were this snake-bitten. I can't think of any other team with this many injuries in one season.

I'm sure they'll be conditioned for the longer playing time per game by the end of the season, but it might take some adjustment over the next month or so,

Oh, and ND is playing at Louisville next week. Should be interesting.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 01/05/18 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I saw a tweet by Bri Turner asking ESPN to look into all the ACLs at Notre Dame.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 01/06/18 2:14 pm    ::: Re: ND can't catch a break...fourth ACL injury this year Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
I can't think of any other team with this many injuries in one season.

St Bonaventure had 6 players dressed today in a win over UMass. They had several players in street clothes with various injuries.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/06/18 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
I saw a tweet by Bri Turner asking ESPN to look into all the ACLs at Notre Dame.

They better find out who cast the curse! And maybe it shouldn't be ESPN, they're just scandalmongers anyway. How about a GOOD investigative reporter?

PostPosted: 01/06/18 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:

They better find out who cast the curse! And maybe it shouldn't be ESPN, they're just scandalmongers anyway. How about a GOOD investigative reporter?

The tweet wasn't about an investigation, it was about having ESPN Sports Science do a study on the ACL injuries.

That's the ESPN segment that explains the medical/scientific aspects of sports performance.

tfan

PostPosted: 01/06/18 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:

When I see a lot of ACLs for one program I wonder if they are doing something wrong and/or not doing something they should. But some statistician may be able to demonstrate a good probability that some Division I WBB team will get 4 ACLs in one year.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/06/18 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I suspect it's one of those weird, awful things. I thought tOSU's medical school was doing a study on ACLs and how to prevent them, but either it's taking longer than expected or it's going nowhere. I've heard of teams having 3 in a year, but never 4. Wasn't it Montana State that had 3 last year?

PostPosted: 01/06/18 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Perhaps its just karma against ND for paying off the NCAA to let Shepard play. I mean, they are part of the AllCheatersConference afterall.

Queenie

PostPosted: 01/06/18 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
Perhaps its just karma against ND for paying off the NCAA to let Shepard play. I mean, they are part of the AllCheatersConference afterall.

Dude. Dude. Really?

(now with spelling variations)
CBiebel

PostPosted: 01/06/18 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh, and BTW, on the Men's side, ND's top player is out for at least 2 months (might not return at all), and the starting PG didn't play today due to injury. He's expected back for the next game.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 01/06/18 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:

If that were the case, wouldn't it be Shepard who would have had the injury?

You know, when it comes to discussing injuries, you might want to consider how classless it is to revel in it happening to a program.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: