RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Extra games on Directv

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/04/18 12:53 pm    ::: Extra games on Directv Reply Reply with quote

DirecTV has started this week using channels in the 780s and 790s to televise what is called "ESPN College Extra". These appear to be games that are otherwise listed as being only available on ESPN3 or other ESPN-owned streaming channels.

I had previously only seen men's games listed. But this evening they have the UNC vs Boston College WBB game scheduled on 788 at 7pm. While I don't understand the particular game choice from among those available, this is encouraging and hopefully the start of a trend.

I assume but don't know for sure that you need the regional sports networks pack to watch, but otherwise there's no extra subscription or charge required, or at least there hasn't been so far this week. These 700 channels are usually only used for subscription sports like the NBA and NHL pay packages.

I was able to watch and record the ND vs NCSt men's game last night without any problem. It was listed elsewhere as being only available online but showed up on 790 when I searched the program guide.

(BTW, this is probably unnecessary tonight as this game is also on several regional networks. The last two nights they showed men's games that were not available on any other channels. Hopefully we'll get some bonus women's games in the coming weeks. Worth keeping a eye out for games on those channels.)

Queenie

PostPosted: 01/04/18 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Same on Spectrum. They show some weird stuff- there was an NAIA game on last night that we watched the tail end of.

This is the schedule, so these are the things that might be on either TV or ESPN3/WatchESPN: http://www.espn.com/watch/schedule/

PostPosted: 01/04/18 9:52 pm    ::: Re: Extra games on Directv Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
DirecTV has started this week using channels in the 780s and 790s to televise what is called "ESPN College Extra". These appear to be games that are otherwise listed as being only available on ESPN3 or other ESPN-owned streaming channels.

I had previously only seen men's games listed. But this evening they have the UNC vs Boston College WBB game scheduled on 788 at 7pm. While I don't understand the particular game choice from among those available, this is encouraging and hopefully the start of a trend.

I assume but don't know for sure that you need the regional sports networks pack to watch, but otherwise there's no extra subscription or charge required, or at least there hasn't been so far this week. These 700 channels are usually only used for subscription sports like the NBA and NHL pay packages.

I was able to watch and record the ND vs NCSt men's game last night without any problem. It was listed elsewhere as being only available online but showed up on 790 when I searched the program guide.

(BTW, this is probably unnecessary tonight as this game is also on several regional networks. The last two nights they showed men's games that were not available on any other channels. Hopefully we'll get some bonus women's games in the coming weeks. Worth keeping a eye out for games on those channels.)

I thought people already knew about this. This has been available for a while after ESPN stopped charging for extra football and basketball games since they were all online for free. DirecTV, AT&T U-Verse, and Verizon FIOS carry the package nationally while Spectrum Cable customers should check their local lineups. Everyone else is out of luck for now.

The games that are on in the next few days are listed here along with blackout information, which is sometimes late in arriving:
http://www.espn.com/espncollegeextra/

They used to more clearly mark the women's games online, but they should be noted in the programming guide. At first glance, the Baylor-Kansas and UConn-South Florida women's games are listed for Saturday.

ArtBest23, the reason that you might not have been aware of them is that you live in the ACC footprint and would get most of the ACC games on a different channel. The reason that the Notre Dame game was on for you on this package is likely due to it being a split ACC Network broadcast with your local station picking Virginia-Virginia Tech for obvious reasons.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/04/18 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I knew they did some of these. I just didn't recall it being as formalized or extensive. There were a LOT of extra games on last night. And they even stacked games back to back on some channels

I also didn't recall them doing women's games last year.

awhom111

PostPosted: 01/06/18 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I knew they did some of these. I just didn't recall it being as formalized or extensive. There were a LOT of extra games on last night. And they even stacked games back to back on some channels

I also didn't recall them doing women's games last year.

It looks like we've had the games since at least 2016. I kind of miss being able to watch the regional broadcasts. An endless loop of ESPN commercials gets annoying after a while.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: