RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Memphis @ Connecticut - 12/31/17
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 12/30/17 11:56 pm    ::: Memphis @ Connecticut - 12/31/17 Reply Reply with quote

Hartford, CT - 1:30 PM ET
TV: SNY

Video:
http://www.espn.com/watch/_/id/3226839/memphis-vs-1-connecticut-w-basketball (tvp)

Audio:
https://tunein.com/radio/UConn-IMG-Sports-Network-s230338/

https://tunein.com/radio/U92-917-s23394/

Live stats:
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/gametracker/launch/?event=1574650&school=conn&sport=wbaskbl&

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 12/31/17 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/31/17 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn shooting 67% in the 1H, 54-29. Geno actually played a 7th player, freshman Mikayla Coombs, but unfortunately she didn't show out too well.
Shades

PostPosted: 12/31/17 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

97-49 CON final

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 12/31/17 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Geno's had plenty of shitty benches over the years, and this one is no exception.

I'm baffled by it.

PostPosted: 01/02/18 9:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Geno's had plenty of shitty benches over the years, and this one is no exception.

I'm baffled by it.

I actually think the freshman all have a legit shot to be contributors, except Gordon. The thing is, our top 7 are just so much better than the rest of the bench.....

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/02/18 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Huskies embark on their conference cupcake diet.

PostPosted: 01/02/18 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if it's not just nerves. The benchies get on the floor so rarely and they appear to be paranoid of making a mistake. on the other hand, if Geno gets a top 5 every year and a couple of top 20s every other year, he probably doesn't spend a lot of time worrying about what's on the bench. It does seem like in a 50 pt blowout, those scraps on the bench (all of whom are top 50s I think) might be able to see more time than what he's giving them. It's not like he still has walk ons sitting there. I think anything less than perfection just drives Geno crazy. If Gordon isn't going to play, maybe she gets her nat'l championship then transfers back home to a Texas school. I wouldn't blame her.

- Amanda Gorman
linkster

PostPosted: 01/02/18 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

I was wondering when the first post of this type would get posted. The prize goes to you STB. Congrats for reminding us all for the umpteenth time that the AAC is a mid-major.

There are many cupcakes in the SEC, B12, ACC & B1G. UConn has 3 games scheduled with top 10 teams. Name an ACC or SEC team with that many. Yup Tenn. With 2 games vs S Car,one at Notre Dame and one vs Miss St. But Tenn has filled up on cupcakes prior to their SEC schedule while UConn has had the toughest OOC schedule in the country.

Yes, the AAC stinks after the first 2 or 3 teams. But there's a stench at the bottom half of most every conference in the country.

It's not news.

Who are the top ten games ahead for the top ten?

1. UConn - S Carolina, Texas, Louisville
2. Notre Dame - Louisville
3. Louisville - UConn, Notre Dame
4. S Carolina - UConn, Miss St, Tenn
5. Miss St - S Carolina, Tenn
6. Baylor - Texas (2)
7. Tenn - S Carolina(2), Miss St, N Dame
8. Texas - Baylor(2), UConn
9. Oregon - none
10. Ohio St - none

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 01/02/18 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Longtime bitter LV fan who has seen the hated huskies/geno surpass nearly everything that program accomplished.

PostPosted: 01/02/18 10:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

Yes, the AAC stinks after the first 2 or 3 teams.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Some people have no shame at all.

In what fantasy world do you imagine there are two respectable teams after UConn in the AAC this year. Sorry, but old reliable USF has failed you as your backstop this year.

Oh. You must mean mighty Houston. After all, they're technically in first place in the conference. Too bad they have that little blemish of having lost to juggernaut Boston College.

Your annual AAC defense is always a tough sell. This year it's simply laughable.

I suggest you stick to the "but we play a great OOC schedule" line.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 01/02/18 11:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Yes, the AAC stinks after the first 2 or 3 teams. But there's a stench at the bottom half of most every conference in the country.

It's not news.

Who are the top ten games ahead for the top ten?

1. UConn - S Carolina, Texas, Louisville
2. Notre Dame - Louisville
3. Louisville - UConn, Notre Dame
4. S Carolina - UConn, Miss St, Tenn
5. Miss St - S Carolina, Tenn
6. Baylor - Texas (2)
7. Tenn - S Carolina(2), Miss St, N Dame
8. Texas - Baylor(2), UConn
9. Oregon - none
10. Ohio St - none

Right now Tennessee is ranked 7th, so you should count them on Notre Dame's schedule. And Florida is 11th, Duke 17th, and then there's the ACC tournament. I don't think Notre Dame should be embarrassed by their schedule. Of course I don't think UConn should be embarrassed by their schedule either. UConn has by far the strongest OOC schedule, which is the only part under their control.

ucbart

PostPosted: 01/03/18 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:

In what fantasy world do you imagine there are two respectable teams after UConn in the AAC this year. Sorry, but old reliable USF has failed you as your backstop this year.

Oh. You must mean mighty Houston. After all, they're technically in first place in the conference. Too bad they have that little blemish of having lost to juggernaut Boston College.

Your annual AAC defense is always a tough sell. This year it's simply laughable.

....Art for the win! You never disappoint.

linkster

PostPosted: 01/03/18 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:

Art once again tries to win an argument by inventing words for someone. I never defend the AAC. I have always admitted it's weakness. There is a difference between being respectable (Art's words) and not stinking (my words). What Art missed was my next sentence and my constant reply over the last several years to those who need to find something negative to say about UConn. "But there's a stench at the bottom half of most every conference in the country.".

Now maybe the mid-range teams in the P-5 conferences have a case for claiming a tough conference schedule but for those few elite teams in those conferences there are only a few games that aren't one-sided non-competitive bores, unless of course those teams shit the bed and play a suckie game.

With the few corrections made, my list of truly competitive games left in the season for the top teams is the reality of wcbb. Sure, there are interesting games between traditional rivals like Tenn vs Vandi, etc but only in the eyes of those schools' fanbases. Back in the old Big east days UConn had rivalries with Providence, BC and others but once UConn became a perennial elite team there was never much doubt about the outcomes.

My analogy to those who think their schedule is tougher than UConn's is of two 18 year old bullies, where the one that beats up 12 year olds berates his buddy who beats up 8 year olds. Art can rightly claim that Wake Forest and V Tech are better than their AAC counterparts but as far as claiming them as more worthy opponents for either UConn or Notre Dame my response is to fart in your general direction.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/03/18 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/03/18 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I stand by my words. UConn plays probably the toughest OOC in the country. No argument there. The conference they play in, however, is made of cupcakes, especially this year. And I'm not bitter. In fact, I find your defensive attitude rather laughable, as well as somewhat pitiable.

I also don't argue with the fact that there are soft little pussycats in the SEC--however, unlike in the AAC, occasionally those critters have been known to rise up and bite!

PostPosted: 01/03/18 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

My analogy to those who think their schedule is tougher than UConn's

Speaking of gigantic red herrings, who exactly said that? Having trouble addressing the actual comments again I see so you make up some of your own to attack. It's pretty transparent.

And when you pound your shoe on the table chanting ""But there's a stench at the bottom half of most every conference in the country." I'd say say that might be a little exaggerated but is close to true, but sane people understand that there's an enormous difference between half a conference stinking and an ENTIRE conference less one team stinking.

If you bothered to read before ranting you'd see that my post was entirely about the absurdity of your claim that there are 2 or 3 teams that are other than wretched in the AAC. There aren't. There's one.

As I said you should stick to your points about the impressiveness of UConn's OOC schedule. That's valid. Just drop the assinine defense of the AAC. No matter how bad the P5 may be this year, the AAC is in a whole different realm of suckitude.

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/03/18 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

what difference does it make?
UConn plays their conference schedule in Nov & Dec and plays their OOC cupcakes in Jan & Feb. Plus they throw in Texas, SoCar, and Louisville.
I suspect most other teams in their situation wouldn't play nearly as many tough games overall. I mean they pretty much play every top team that will play them. What more do you want? Considering the conference they are stuck in, they are still awesome. And I salute them for their schedule.

- Amanda Gorman
cthskzfn

PostPosted: 01/03/18 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"defensive attitude".

Laughing

PostPosted: 01/03/18 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:

My analogy to those who think their schedule is tougher than UConn's

Speaking of gigantic red herrings, who exactly said that? Having trouble addressing the actual comments again I see so you make up some of your own to attack. It's pretty transparent.

And when you pound your shoe on the table chanting ""But there's a stench at the bottom half of most every conference in the country." I'd say say that might be a little exaggerated but is close to true, but sane people understand that there's an enormous difference between half a conference stinking and an ENTIRE conference less one team stinking.

If you bothered to read before ranting you'd see that my post was entirely about the absurdity of your claim that there are 2 or 3 teams that are other than wretched in the AAC. There aren't. There's one.

As I said you should stick to your points about the impressiveness of UConn's OOC schedule. That's valid. Just drop the assinine defense of the AAC. No matter how bad the P5 may be this year, the AAC is in a whole different realm of suckitude.

Quote:
Speaking of gigantic red herrings, who exactly said that

I said it. It's my analogy. And I think it applies. I'm talking to all those fans of elite teams that love to point to the AAC while their own team plays mostly cupcakes that are just not as cupcakey as UConn's patsies.

Quote:
an ENTIRE conference less one team stinking

Quote:
There's one.

UConn - #1
USF - #25 Massey
Houston - #72
UCF- #82
Tulane - #97
Temple is #112 after losing their star for the season.

Five top 100 teams. That means they are better than over 250 other D1 teams. Do all those 250+ teams stink? I guess that's a matter of your definition. Most teams look stinky against UConn. How many AAC teams have you watched play a team other than UConn? The teams I listed don't beat many P5 teams but do win some and they don't stink in the games they lose. They compete. There are 250+ teams that are so far behind in talent that they have little chance against an elite team but IMO to stink a team also lacks effort and coaching.

And to be honest my post was basically due to my being tired of the same old BS every year about UConn's conference. It's been said 100's of times. And back a decade and a half it was being said about the Big East. Just different people saying it. Find a new song.

Davis4632

PostPosted: 01/03/18 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't which is worse, UConn fans equating the AAC to the P5 conferences or SEC football bottom tier teams bragging about the success of the tier SEC teams.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/03/18 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I haven't seen a single poster here making fun of UConn's schedule. Indeed Geno has done a remarkable job of getting top teams to p!ay against UConn and he's done it because he knows perfectly well that his conference sucks from #2 to #12 and he needs to compensate for that reality. He's even gotten some teams that regularly hide from difficult OOC games to sign up for a beatdown. He must have pictures or something. Nobody else plays that kind of OOC schedule. Of course no one else has the same need to compensate either. Two or three years ago there weren't really enough showcase OOC games to make up for the Jan to March joke, but he keeps adding more, and especially during the post-New Year's portion. This year I don't see how anyone can criticize the overall UConn schedule.

What people are mocking is the annual ritual of some UConn posters feeling compelled to argue that the AAC isn't a joke, something we all know to be total horseshit.

Geno knows that the OOC games are what make up for the conference. He's not trying to defend the conference; he's trying to make the best of a bad situation. I really can't fathom why a few people feel compelled to try to pump up the conference games into something they're not.

Oh, and when someone cites as one of their "top teams" a UCF squad that has lost to Pacific, Elon, Samford, and Mercer, nothing more needs to be said about the desperation and futility of that effort.

BTW, just for reference, other than UConn (which is 8-0), the entire rest of the conference is 2-25 vs the RPI top 50. (Tulsa hasn't played a single top 50 opponent and hasn't beaten a top 100 opponent.)

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 01/03/18 10:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Notre Dame v USF Nov 25 76-66 was that a choice or a joke?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/03/18 10:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
Notre Dame v USF Nov 25 76-66 was that a choice or a joke?

Actually it was part of the Gulf Coast Classic, so I guess it was the sponsor's choice. And nobody's counting that as one of ND's notable games this year. Indeed, USF was just fodder to make sure ND got to a tourney showcase final matchup with South Carolina.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 01/04/18 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So Notre Dame are remiss In not checking who they play in their out of conference schedule and 10 points is just fodder.
So by that argument Syracuse beat by 15, WF best by 23 this year and last years wins in the ACC approx at least 11 games point difference over 10 were worse fodder.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/04/18 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ahhhh.

Point differential. The last desperate refuge when your flailing proved to be misplaced and pointless..

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: