RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Is this Tara's worst team in 31 (or 19) years?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/24/17 9:45 pm    ::: Is this Tara's worst team in 31 (or 19) years? Reply Reply with quote

Tara's second Stanford team in 1986-87 went 14-14 and 8-10 in the conference (tying for 6th). The next year the team jumped up to 27-5, and ever since has won 25-35 games almost every season. The first hiccup in that dominating winning trend was in 1998-99, when Stanford went 18-12 but 14-4 in the conference (3rd).

This season Stanford is 6-6 as they enter conference play, likely unranked, in a very strong conference.
Meesh98

PostPosted: 12/24/17 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How many Mc Donald’s All Americans does this team have🤔

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/24/17 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Meesh98 wrote:
How many Mc Donald’s All Americans does this team have🤔

That would be five, all Freshman and Sophomores. Why?

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 12/24/17 11:21 pm    ::: Re: Is this Tara's worst team in 31 (or 19) years? Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Tara's second Stanford team in 1986-87 went 14-14 and 8-10 in the conference (tying for 6th). The next year the team jumped up to 27-5, and ever since has won 25-35 games almost every season. The first hiccup in that dominating winning trend was in 1998-99, when Stanford went 18-12 but 14-4 in the conference (3rd).

This season Stanford is 6-6 as they enter conference play, likely unranked, in a very strong conference.

I'm guessing they will go at least 12-6 in conference and probably more like 13-5 (JMO)- especially if McPhee and Carrington are healthy. They will lose to somebody they shouldn't lose to and beat somebody they shouldn't beat. Enough for the NCAA's? maybe. but probably would be better to go to the WNIT. THis is probably Tara's youngest team. She traditionally doesn't like to play Freshman all that much but I think she is being forced to throw them into the fire. Specifically Williams and Dodson are playing more than she would ordinarily like. And essentially Wilson is also a Freshman, having missed most of last year with injuries. I actually think that in the long run this will be a good thing for the team, but it is painful early on. Tara's philosophy is pretty much 'bring em on' so even in years where it's thin or young, she still plays top teams (unlike some unnamed ACC, B12, B10 teams that play preseason cupcakes on a regular basis) so if she had gone the cupcake route they could possibly be more like 10-2 and people would be ragging on the cupcake schedule but not the 10-2.... Of course I've been pretty harsh this year on the team because it IS a down year, but I think there's a decent foundation of youngsters that will help us improve in the years to come. McPhee will be missed after this year but I think Johnson's graduation will be addition by subtraction.

- Amanda Gorman
patsweetpat

PostPosted: 12/25/17 11:33 am    ::: Re: Is this Tara's worst team in 31 (or 19) years? Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

I'm guessing they will go at least 12-6 in conference and probably more like 13-5 (JMO)- especially if McPhee and Carrington are healthy. They will lose to somebody they shouldn't lose to and beat somebody they shouldn't beat.

This all sounds right to me. And yes, I think they'll go to the NCAAs.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 12/25/17 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even at 11-7 they go to the NCAA, and yes, I think that barring injuries they will go. 13-5 is a reasonable expectation, which would mean splitting their games with the SoCal schools, Oregon schools, ASU and Cal. I still look at this team as dangerous with McPhee and Carrington, but Smith has to be able to put the ball in the basket and the team has to shoot free throws. And Kaylee Johnson has to get her head back in the game. These are all doable, and with exception of a weekend in mid-February I hope they are done.

This is among Tara's weakest teams in the past two decades, but that still doesn't mean it is a bad team, or one that shouldn't be feared in the Pac 12.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 12/26/17 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With Stanford having just dropped out of the Top 25 for the first time since 2001, I think this Cardinal team marches into its next game very angry and SUPREMELY motivated. And now who strolls into Maples? My Bruins.

Gotta say, I'm reallyreallyreally not loving how Friday night looks for my team.

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/26/17 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
With Stanford having just dropped out of the Top 25 for the first time since 2001, I think this Cardinal team marches into its next game very angry and SUPREMELY motivated. And now who strolls into Maples? My Bruins.

Gotta say, I'm reallyreallyreally not loving how Friday night looks for my team.

one of this team's problems is they don't seem to get motivated by anything.

- Amanda Gorman
LitePal

PostPosted: 12/26/17 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Talent wise, UCLA has no business losing to Stanford this season but we've already seen that they're ridiculously inconsistent on the road and Coach Close is nowhere near the level of Tara. I'm still optimistically picking a UCLA win and if they win, it will be by a large margin.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 12/28/17 5:29 pm    ::: Re: Is this Tara's worst team in 31 (or 19) years? Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Tara's philosophy is pretty much 'bring em on' so even in years where it's thin or young, she still plays top teams (unlike some unnamed ACC, B12, B10 teams that play preseason cupcakes on a regular basis) so if she had gone the cupcake route they could possibly be more like 10-2 and people would be ragging on the cupcake schedule but not the 10-2....

Speaking of cupcake schedules, Duke Coach JPM is about to get her 600th win. Against Liberty. She finally figured out she had no chance of beating UConn and can beat Wyoming. With 1,000 win Hatchell next door, hell, why not?

~rAf
patsweetpat

PostPosted: 12/29/17 12:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
Talent wise, UCLA has no business losing to Stanford this season...

Stanford is talented! If Carrington is playing tomorrow, that'll be 5 McDonald's All-Americans for the Cardinal, against just 3 for the Bruins (assuming that Hearn is still MIA and Corsaro is still out with her ankle injury). Maybe UCLA will win or maybe they won't, I don't know, but it's fallacious to claim that the Bruins have an objective talent advantage over Stanford.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 12/29/17 12:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
LitePal wrote:

Stanford is talented! If Carrington is playing tomorrow, that'll be 5 McDonald's All-Americans for the Cardinal, against just 3 for the Bruins (assuming that Hearn is still MIA and Corsaro is still out with her ankle injury). Maybe UCLA will win or maybe they won't, I don't know, but it's fallacious to claim that the Bruins have an objective talent advantage over Stanford.

Absolutely Stanford is talented. Absolutely Stanford is upset they have just dropped out of the top 25 and have lost back to back games at home. Your Bruins must go all out. Leave everything on the floor. The game Friday is the biggest game of the year, maybe the biggest game of their lives. Use your starters at least 38 minutes each. A loss here and your season unravels. Then just coast on Sunday morning. It is really the only way to approach this weekend.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 12/29/17 8:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
LitePal wrote:

Absolutely Stanford is talented. Absolutely Stanford is upset they have just dropped out of the top 25 and have lost back to back games at home. Your Bruins must go all out. Leave everything on the floor. The game Friday is the biggest game of the year, maybe the biggest game of their lives. Use your starters at least 38 minutes each. A loss here and your season unravels. Then just coast on Sunday morning. It is really the only way to approach this weekend.

Waaaaait a minute...

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 12/29/17 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I expect a vocal, desperate Cardinal Crowd to will the Tree to victory, Carrington or not.

This IS the game of the year for SU. Razz

PostPosted: 12/29/17 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
LitePal wrote:

Waaaaait a minute...

troll on, you golden bear. Wink

(now with spelling variations)
tfan

PostPosted: 12/30/17 12:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

3) The Cardinal Finally Lands

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/30/17 3:17 am    ::: Re: Is this Tara's worst team in 31 (or 19) years? Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

I'm guessing they will go at least 12-6 in conference and probably more like 13-5 (JMO)- especially if McPhee and Carrington are healthy. They will lose to somebody they shouldn't lose to and beat somebody they shouldn't beat.

ok so we've won one that we shouldn't have, now we could easily turn around and lose to USC...

- Amanda Gorman
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 12/30/17 9:51 am    ::: Re: Is this Tara's worst team in 31 (or 19) years? Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
myrtle wrote:

ok so we've won one that we shouldn't have, now we could easily turn around and lose to USC...

fingers crossed Razz

PostPosted: 12/30/17 2:05 pm    ::: Re: Is this Tara's worst team in 31 (or 19) years? Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
myrtle wrote:
myrtle wrote:

fingers crossed Razz

who needs enemies with friends like these.... Twisted Evil

- Amanda Gorman
CBiebel

PostPosted: 12/31/17 5:07 am    ::: Re: Is this Tara's worst team in 31 (or 19) years? Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Tara's philosophy is pretty much 'bring em on' so even in years where it's thin or young, she still plays top teams (unlike some unnamed ACC, B12, B10 teams that play preseason cupcakes on a regular basis) so if she had gone the cupcake route they could possibly be more like 10-2 and people would be ragging on the cupcake schedule but not the 10-2....

I'd mostly agree, but for some reason her "bring em on" attitude doesn't seem to include ND. Yes, I realize that they went 2-1 vs ND lately in the NCAAs, but they haven't scheduled them in the regular season since the early 1990s. McGraw has stated that she has wanted games against a "Bay Area" team (either Stanford or Cal), so I wouldn't say it wasn't happening from ND's end.

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/31/17 4:39 pm    ::: Re: Is this Tara's worst team in 31 (or 19) years? Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I'd mostly agree, but for some reason her "bring em on" attitude doesn't seem to include ND. Yes, I realize that they went 2-1 vs ND lately in the NCAAs, but they haven't scheduled them in the regular season since the early 1990s. McGraw has stated that she has wanted games against a "Bay Area" team (either Stanford or Cal), so I wouldn't say it wasn't happening from ND's end.

I'd be surprised if ND made a direct request that Stanford refused. A vague statement that she wants to come isn't the same as getting on the phone and asking. Tara would want a home and home of course.

- Amanda Gorman
bballjunkie

PostPosted: 12/31/17 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just thinking out loud but Stanford would seem to want to play ND as they took them out of the NCAAs 2 years in a row.

ClayK

PostPosted: 01/01/18 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanford sweeps UCLA and USC (the real USC) at home ...

Reports of their demise, etc.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: