RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2018 WNBA Team Resolutions
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfan

PostPosted: 12/30/17 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

It just seems otherwise strange that Katie Smith would accept the coaching position without some assurances that the current situation will be resolved with the team staying put. She'd be a hot coaching commodity otherwise, even on the college level.

She may not have known about the team situation when she accepted the position. Although the fact that Laimbeer left a month before the official announcement might mean that the coaching staff knew about the impending intention-to-sell. Or the Las Vegas owners could have made Laimbeer an offer he couldn't refuse even if there was no change expected with the Liberty.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 12/30/17 11:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I'm just hoping to hear something next week. Any kind of news is needed at this point. The longer we hear nothing the more worrisome I'll be.

I'd be very surprised if we hear anything in the coming week. Short work week. Many have been away from their jobs for 10 or 11 days and will probably return to piles of stuff that should have been addressed in mid-December but wasn't.

My guess: the only way we'll hear something this week is if a deal was already cut before Dec. 22nd and it was decided to wait and announce it in January. I suspect this will drag on till at least mid-January.

For Liberty fans who are extremely stressed, I hope I'm wrong.

PostPosted: 12/31/17 2:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would like to add 2 resolutions for the league itself.

1) Keep all your teams afloat and where they are. There is no stability among the franchises. There are a few strong ones and several weak ones. And when even the New York franchise is in trouble something needs to be fixed.

2) Find a way to bring more balance to the league. Enough of Minnesota, LA, and Phoenix. It is past time for other teams to have a shot. Among the six teams in the East only one has ever won a Championship. The Lynx have been in the finals six of the past 7 years.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 12/31/17 3:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
And when even the New York franchise is in trouble something needs to be fixed.

I'm of the opinion that NYC is actually one of the more difficult places to make a profit. MSG has got to be a very expensive place to host a team. For example, anyone who sits courtside gets the benefit of the Delta Club with multiple meal stations and a ton of free candy and popcorn all game. The venue has all levels open and probably fully staff as they would for a Knicks game but with less attendance and less profit per ticket. I would be curious to know how much would need to be paid for players' accommodations and travel, too. There is also the constant pressure to make that arena available for other things which could result in great cost to turn it around quickly.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 12/31/17 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

I'm of the opinion that NYC is actually one of the more difficult places to make a profit. MSG has got to be a very expensive place to host a team. For example, anyone who sits courtside gets the benefit of the Delta Club with multiple meal stations and a ton of free candy and popcorn all game. The venue has all levels open and probably fully staff as they would for a Knicks game but with less attendance and less profit per ticket. I would be curious to know how much would need to be paid for players' accommodations and travel, too. There is also the constant pressure to make that arena available for other things which could result in great cost to turn it around quickly.

What you're saying, just in terms of known facts, is in many ways incorrect. When the Liberty play at MSG, all levels are NOT open; only the lower bowl. Fully staffed? No way. Many concession stands and bars are closed. Given the smaller crowd, there are also many fewer ushers, security officers, cleanup staff, etc., than for a Knicks' game.

Even more important, in New York City there is far more opportunity to make a bundle on TV coverage of a sports team, advertising, corporate tie-ins, etc., than in much smaller metropolitan areas. I'm not saying that the Liberty have been making lots of money. I don't trust a word that any sports organization or league says about its finances. But I don't agree-- whether for the Liberty or any other sports franchise--that the New York metropolitan area is one of the more difficult places to make a profit, even with higher costs of various kinds.

PostPosted: 12/31/17 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's really sad the lack of concession stands available at Liberty games. But it's understandable since no one seems to buy anything. I know it's more of a family value type of event and the prices are ridiculous at MSG, but still. I've been to concerts and Knicks' games there and the lines are usually super long for anything. But will anything be cheaper if they play at Barclays? Prudential Center? Nassau?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Nerd2

PostPosted: 12/31/17 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

What you're saying, just in terms of known facts, is in many ways incorrect. When the Liberty play at MSG, all levels are NOT open; only the lower bowl. Fully staffed? No way. Many concession stands and bars are closed. Given the smaller crowd, there are also many fewer ushers, security officers, cleanup staff, etc., than for a Knicks' game.

Even more important, in New York City there is far more opportunity to make a bundle on TV coverage of a sports team, advertising, corporate tie-ins, etc., than in much smaller metropolitan areas. I'm not saying that the Liberty have been making lots of money. I don't trust a word that any sports organization or league says about its finances. But I don't agree-- whether for the Liberty or any other sports franchise--that the New York metropolitan area is one of the more difficult places to make a profit, even with higher costs of various kinds.

I thought that the upper level was open when I went there but I admit I've never seen it in its Knicks state. I probably don't know what it is supposed to look like. And I'm a bit embarrassed over the statement that it was staffed at Knicks level - of course it wouldn't be. But you are pointing to a trade off of cost to host vs. the opportunities it brings for profit and I question whether sponsors are lining up to support it with so many other ways to invest their money. The Storm had pointed out that a lot of their early success was because they shared resources with the NBA team and got a bit of the cross-goodwill. Would the Liberty lose some ticket revenue and sponsor dollars by not being attached to the NBA team anymore?

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 12/31/17 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

I thought that the upper level was open when I went there but I admit I've never seen it in its Knicks state. I probably don't know what it is supposed to look like. And I'm a bit embarrassed over the statement that it was staffed at Knicks level - of course it wouldn't be. But you are pointing to a trade off of cost to host vs. the opportunities it brings for profit and I question whether sponsors are lining up to support it with so many other ways to invest their money. The Storm had pointed out that a lot of their early success was because they shared resources with the NBA team and got a bit of the cross-goodwill. Would the Liberty lose some ticket revenue and sponsor dollars by not being attached to the NBA team anymore?

Your question at the end is an excellent question. I can't answer it; perhaps there are others here who have more knowledge of all this. It's certainly possible that there are sponsors who cut a deal with Dolan that involves the Knicks, the Rangers, the Liberty, college basketball, music events--or at least some of those--that wouldn't be involved with the Liberty after Dolan sells the team.

PostPosted: 12/31/17 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The lower bowl at MSG(otherwise the 100s) seats just over 10,000. Only for camp days is the upper bowl opened(200s). For the 2016 play-off game was the 200s opened which, according to the boxscore, had just less than 1,000 people up there.

Their time at Prudential Center was terrible. The fans didn't show up(about half of what was reported). Comps were easily obtainable. The atmosphere was even worse. Only went to two games during their 3 years there because of this and it was half the distance to get to Prudential than MSG for me. So I know moving them to Newark would be a nail in the coffin for the Liberty. I hope they can stay at MSG because I don't see them drawing well in Brooklyn. The Nets can't draw there(yes, they suck), but even if they get half of what the Nets get(~7,500) I guess it would be ok(better than Dallas, Atlanta, Chicago).

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 12/31/17 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
The lower bowl at MSG(otherwise the 100s) seats just over 10,000. Only for camp days is the upper bowl opened(200s). For the 2016 play-off game was the 200s opened which, according to the boxscore, had just less than 1,000 people up there.

Their time at Prudential Center was terrible. The fans didn't show up(about half of what was reported). Comps were easily obtainable. The atmosphere was even worse. Only went to two games during their 3 years there because of this and it was half the distance to get to Prudential than MSG for me. So I know moving them to Newark would be a nail in the coffin for the Liberty. I hope they can stay at MSG because I don't see them drawing well in Brooklyn. The Nets can't draw there(yes, they suck), but even if they get half of what the Nets get(~7,500) I guess it would be ok(better than Dallas, Atlanta, Chicago).

Still throwing slugs I see Toad. Shocked My team knows where we will play and we are 100% sure we will play next season also. Nothings better than that huh 😉

PostPosted: 12/31/17 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Double post.

Last edited by NYL_WNBA_FAN on 12/31/17 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 12/31/17 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Queenie wrote:
I would think the Liberty's resolution for 2018 is to exist, preferably in a good arena in New York, but what do I know?

That was mine...and I'm sure every Libs fan's thought. But it makes you wonder...they hired a new coach right away...and nobody associated with the Libs is saying anything. I feel like there are things at play that we are not aware of that will break in a positive way. It just seems otherwise strange that Katie Smith would accept the coaching position without some assurances that the current situation will be resolved with the team staying put. She'd be a hot coaching commodity otherwise, even on the college level.

Yes, it's not like she has any experience being on a team that moved after receiving assurances that everything would be okey-dokey after an ownership change.

True, but what I mean is, I'd think she'd have had multiple opportunities. Ones that would probably be better than an unstable one involving a complete change of location and management personnel. I'd think she'd have waited for something better if the alternative was instability.

PostPosted: 12/31/17 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Queenie wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Queenie wrote:
I would think the Liberty's resolution for 2018 is to exist, preferably in a good arena in New York, but what do I know?

That was mine...and I'm sure every Libs fan's thought. But it makes you wonder...they hired a new coach right away...and nobody associated with the Libs is saying anything. I feel like there are things at play that we are not aware of that will break in a positive way. It just seems otherwise strange that Katie Smith would accept the coaching position without some assurances that the current situation will be resolved with the team staying put. She'd be a hot coaching commodity otherwise, even on the college level.

Yes, it's not like she has any experience being on a team that moved after receiving assurances that everything would be okey-dokey after an ownership change.

True, but what I mean is, I'd think she'd have had multiple opportunities. Ones that would probably be better than an unstable one involving a complete change of location and management personnel. I'd think she'd have waited for something better if the alternative was instability.

Their social media pages are active with daily updates of players overseas and 2017 highlights. Someone is paying their advertising team right now. I have to believe the Smith hiring also leads me to be optimistic they'll be in NY for 2018.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 12/31/17 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Queenie wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Their social media pages are active with daily updates of players overseas and 2017 highlights. Someone is paying their advertising team right now. I have to believe the Smith hiring also leads me to be optimistic they'll be in NY for 2018.

Even if someone were buying the team and planning to move it to another city, it would be SO late to do so for 2018. Is it possible? Yes. Likely? I can't believe that.

PostPosted: 01/01/18 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

I disagree about Barclays on one point...A LOT of fans both past and present live near there in Park Slope, even more of the new guard esp the Friday baller crowd come from along the A line in Brooklyn...so it would be shorter...sure there will be SOME growing pains and I'm no Barclays Center spammer Wink but I do think they would draw...plus the lower bowl seats fewer from what I saw from going to college games there...so 7500 could look impressive

as for stragglers in the upper deck...It happened during Pride as well...which tells you how important the LGBT community is to the Libs and why Bernert made it such a point to rebuild the bridge Blaze thoroughly burnt over 13 years and too many incidents to mention.

Playing in an arena that is within healthy summer walking distance of what (while not what it was) still is one of the larger lesbian centers in the country makes sense It's also about a mile from Many of the black community centers of Brooklyn and for the geek in you Mr. Charles' record store Smile

I dont see it, I dont see dolan letting it happen which means some either ripoff lease or playing at like STJ which is the right size but is almost all bleacher and is not convient to any of our centers

Pru center was a disaster because

1. The team was the least engaged with the fanbase (Braxton, Cappie etc then bill literally replacing the team 1-12) than any version of the club

2. Jersey fans were prejudiced against Newark (it took a few years for the Devils to get over this too) as the city is seen as a slum (and im being nice to the suburban NJites by just saying slum...grrrr) and the local AA and youth Basketball community was not properly marketed too and the locals WERE certainly on the poor side. I remember the PATH being full after games with almost all NY die hards.

3 The team as I said before was the least engaged with the Fans...and they also weren't that good. One decent season then the start of 3 straight below 500 years. Easily the worst stretch in club history.

Bernert put in work recovering that base...and Clarke carried that torch...and engaging fans is SO important...team is still good and I do think is a move away from taking that next step...tho the ownership flux will hurt and there will need to be a LOT of marketing to avoid another pru center style disaster.

And time will be short...and they'll need to work the old STH database first (see what happened when Sheila took over the Mystics LOL) or all hell will break loose...So yes...we need stuff settled before we can sigh FAs need to build excitement

I agree clarke and co have done a good job showing the team is still active...but once the new owners are in place...thats when the work begins in earnest

Last edited by Happycappie25 on 01/01/18 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
root_thing

PostPosted: 01/01/18 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
It's also about a mile from Many of the AA centers of Brooklyn

Alcoholics Anonymous? Those one game playoff losses have turned Liberty fans into drunks. Wink

PostPosted: 01/01/18 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Happycappie25 wrote:

Alcoholics Anonymous? Those one game playoff losses have turned Liberty fans into drunks. Wink

LOL

PostPosted: 01/01/18 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Happycappie25"] as for stragglers in the upper deck...It happened during Pride as well...which tells you how important the LGBT community is to the Libs and why Bernert made it such a point to rebuild the bridge Blaze thoroughly burnt over 13 years and too many incidents to mention. /quote]

I'm glad to see this mentioned. The bitter irony of all that Carol Blazejowski did to alienate the Liberty's strong lesbian fan base should never be forgotten.

PostPosted: 01/01/18 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Happycappie25 wrote:

Post edited...check your pms

PostPosted: 01/01/18 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Bob Lamm"]
Happycappie25 wrote:
as for stragglers in the upper deck...It happened during Pride as well...which tells you how important the LGBT community is to the Libs and why Bernert made it such a point to rebuild the bridge Blaze thoroughly burnt over 13 years and too many incidents to mention. /quote]

I'm glad to see this mentioned. The bitter irony of all that Carol Blazejowski did to alienate the Liberty's strong lesbian fan base should never be forgotten.

Let me count the ways...its why I booed her when she was introed as part of the 1997 reunion...I was not alone...I remember when she was booed when they were doing the rucker park honors...yeah...LGBT fans did not forget...nor should they...ever.

Given her work with RBNY and MLS I've learned not to paint Amy Scheer, her longtime right hand woman with the same brush...and would welcome her back as an exec if thats what was what it took with new owners...but Blaze...stay the HELL away from our libs!

PostPosted: 01/01/18 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Must have a NY/NJ presence in the league... A must.

Katie Smith will be fine regardless of whatever happens in NY.

miller40

PostPosted: 01/01/18 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Indiana. Now that Pokey Chatman is the general manager of the Fever, her resolution will be to begin a new playoff streak with this storied WNBA franchise just one year after ending the longest streak of postseason appearances in league history.

I'd rather not make the playoffs and get in better position for (FINALLY) getting the #1 draft pick than making the playoffs and crashing out in a one and done.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 01/01/18 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Still throwing slugs I see Toad. Shocked My team knows where we will play and we are 100% sure we will play next season also. Nothings better than that huh 😉

It's a simple factual statement. 7500 is more than the draw of those three. In fact, Dallas can't even hold 7500, can it?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/01/18 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

It's a simple factual statement. 7500 is more than the draw of those three. In fact, Dallas can't even hold 7500, can it?

7500-8000 is max. And you're right statements made by me and toad are facts right now. Ready for season opener in college park now. Cool

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: