RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UCLA @ Stanford - 12/29/17
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
root_thing

PostPosted: 12/29/17 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
tfan wrote:
McPhee would be a good star for a WBB movie. She's a charismatic, attractive intense tomboy.

She actually has done modeling...

When I Googled McPhee to doublecheck her height over the summer, more modeling stuff came up at that time than basketball.

Quote:

Brittany McPhee was not yet 16. She had been to New York many times for modeling work and had flown there by herself when she was 13. At 16, she was one of three finalists at an international modeling competition in Beijing.

Even then, she was having second thoughts about modeling as a career. She didn’t like the weeks away from home. The bigger issue was that her agency insisted she give up basketball.

No way, McPhee said. She’d rather be Elena Delle Donne than Gisele Bundchen.

http://www.sfgate.com/collegesports/article/Ex-model-McPhee-is-now-a-model-shooter-for-11037555.php

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 12/29/17 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can't say I'm surprised. UCLA is sort of the west coast Tenn.

You always wonder how that kind of team would fare if they played "Princeton" basketball. I don't understand coaches who encourage, or at least tolerate, 1-on-1 offense as the team's identity.

Welcome back to the Top 25, Tree.

That Mcphee shitshot was rigoddamndiculous!!! Smile

PostPosted: 12/29/17 11:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
joetro wrote:
Total contrast between relying on athleticism and one-on-one play and team ball. Team ball and coaching is winning.

Team ball and coaching and a whole lot of talent (5 McDonald's All-Americans) and a home floor. Put 'em all together and you usually get the win.

Congrats to Stanford.

You keep saying that about the McD kids, but two of UCLA's are seniors, no? And All-American candidates? Stanford's Burger kids are freshmen and sophs. At any rate, I'd say UCLA had the talent and experience advantages in this match-up. Johnson and Sniezek contribute so little to the scoring they don't even need to be guarded most of the time. UCLA should have won with the seniors they have. Close is not a bad coach but neither is she an elite one, IMO.

tfan

PostPosted: 12/29/17 11:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She's great in college, but I don't know that she can make it to the WNBA, let alone be Elene Delle Donne. But then again she probably wasn't going to be a supermodel either.

Last edited by tfan on 12/29/17 11:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
tfan

PostPosted: 12/29/17 11:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan

PostPosted: 12/29/17 11:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing

PostPosted: 12/29/17 11:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but wasn't Close essentially the offensive coordinator for Sue Semrau at FSU? I thought she got the UCLA job precisely because she was supposedly a brilliant offensive mind.

PostPosted: 12/30/17 12:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A lot of kids do modeling locally, but I believe those pictures of McPhee are from Teen Vogue. That's the big time for adolescent models (although the print version is now being discontinued). Pretty idealistic of her to walk away from a potentially lucrative career. But I guess if you grow-up in a basketball family, hoops is viewed as a higher calling.

PostPosted: 12/30/17 12:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
She's great in college, but I don't know that she can make it to the WNBA, let alone be Elene Delle Donne. But then again she probably wasn't going to be a supermodel either.

Maybe not but with a Stanford education and those looks I think she'll do all right.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 12/30/17 12:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Well, this just about makes my mind up about Close as a technical coach. UCLA deserved to lose. Their half court offense was incapable of generating high percentage shots. For the second half, I honestly can't recall any pass in the half court offense that penetrated inside 3pt arc. Everything was an attempted drive into a traffic jam or a three point heave. Result 31% shooting.

Meanwhile, Stanford moved the ball, passed crisply, constantly penetrated and shot 52%.

Well, I watched the game as well, and there were multiple times when the ball was passed inside. However, there were two or three defenders which made those shots a lot tougher. But when a team is not making the shots from the outside, its easy to pack it in. Stanford shot much better than it's season average. Kudos to them. They had a strong defensive plan and were making shots they struggled with earlier not to mention they had both McPhee and Carrington back.

tfan

PostPosted: 12/30/17 12:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

When I Googled McPhee to doublecheck her height over the summer

I just now see she is listed at 6'0". I was watching her tonight and thought that she was too small of a guard to play in the WNBA. I didn't see her as being anywhere near 6'0".

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 12/30/17 12:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Can't say I'm surprised. UCLA is sort of the west coast Tenn.

You always wonder how that kind of team would fare if they played "Princeton" basketball. I don't understand coaches who encourage, or at least tolerate, 1-on-1 offense as the team's identity.

Cori Close doesn't encourage 1-on-1 offense but the half-court set has been UCLA's weakness for some time. They do tend to force it in to Billings, but the team is sorely lacking 1 or 2 good shooters to open up the middle and the passing lanes.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 12/30/17 12:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but wasn't Close essentially the offensive coordinator for Sue Semrau at FSU? I thought she got the UCLA job precisely because she was supposedly a brilliant offensive mind.

I've thought the same thing as well and I think her first year, I saw a bit more of that, but I feel that because she came in with that reputation, she has really tried to forge an identity as a defense-first coach, at least from the interviews I've heard. She gets lambasted a lot as a coach but she's well aware that the half-court has been a weakness for some time and a lot of that has to do with personnel. The team is overloaded with 3s and 4s. Billings is more of a 4 and the team has really been short 1 or 2 good driving and penetrating guards for a while. I knew this would be a tougher season than normal despite the expectations because of the imbalance. I'm hoping Dean can help step in and help Canada at guard as they can sub in for one another as well as switch off playing the 1 and 2.

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/30/17 3:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The thing is this. Tara will always have a game plan, and usually a pretty good one and we will play scout defense. If we have the guns to carry the plan out, we can be a tough out. If you have better guns, and can respond with a better plan, then we lose. If you have a weakness, we will exploit it. On the other hand, we still don't seem to be able to handle a good press. And really the FT shooting is abysmal. It's something Tara emphasizes so it's especially shocking. BTW our 5 McD's played all of about 50 minutes all total. They will be more important in the future, but for now they are mostly side dressing.

McPhee is at least 5'11" and could easily be 6'. She's not small for a guard. Maybe you are comparing her to Smith, Dodson, Johnson, Fingall? They are all at least 6'3". She looks smaller than them for sure but she also looks to be a good 4" taller than Sniezek who is supposedly 5'8". Here she is next to the bigs and you can see Sniezek on the far side. https://www.facebook.com/StanfordWBB/photos/a.10156091397409885.1073741875.147933639884/10156091398199885/?type=3&theater You can also see her next to other players on the USA U23 team. I remember seeing one of her next to Ionescu where she is clearly a couple inches taller and Ionescu is listed as 5'10"

- Amanda Gorman
root_thing

PostPosted: 12/30/17 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

During live action, McPhee appeared small when guarded by Kennedy Burke who is listed at 6-1. However, I've always felt that Kennedy Burke looks bigger than her listed height. As for the U23 pictures, a lot of them are conflicting because the players don't always stand up straight. The only consistency I found is that McPhee appears taller than the supposedly 5-11 Ariel Atkins. Then again, I've always felt that Atkins looks shorter than her listed height. These height debates are never conclusive. Smile

PostPosted: 12/30/17 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

nm

Last edited by patsweetpat on 12/30/17 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total
patsweetpat

PostPosted: 12/30/17 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

insidewinder wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
joetro wrote:
Total contrast between relying on athleticism and one-on-one play and team ball. Team ball and coaching is winning.

Team ball and coaching and a whole lot of talent (5 McDonald's All-Americans) and a home floor. Put 'em all together and you usually get the win.

Congrats to Stanford.

You keep saying that about the McD kids, but two of UCLA's are seniors, no?

No. One. UCLA had a senior, a junior, and a frosh McD AA available.

Stanford has 3 sophs and 2 frosh McD AAs available.

They're both talented teams, though only one of the two teams is thought of as talented, and the other is thought of as a ragtag collection of scrappy castoffs. But I definitely say again: Stanford was certainly better yesterday and deserved to win. I look forward to seeing these two teams play again in Pauley in another month or so. Should be a good, competitive game! Between two talented teams!

RavenDog

PostPosted: 12/30/17 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Billings WNBA stock precipitously falls again... Kind of like her height from 6'4" to a little over 6'1".

Canada's stock continues to rise. Sue has your textbooks ready...

LitePal

PostPosted: 12/30/17 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd take Canada and UCLA's other burger girls over Stanford's AAs as long as Tara and Cori were swapped. Canada will never become an AA at UCLA and that's a tragedy. She's even slipped off the radar for POW.

Paulina Hersler who grad transferred from UCLA to Florida may eclipse her three year UCLA totals by February. The article notes "It's as if she's two different players." Those who question UCLA not having shooters, she's NOW shooting .473 from the from the floor .395 from the 3 pt. line. At UCLA, she was .345 from the floor and .318 from the 3.

http://floridagators.com/news/2017/12/21/chris-harry-hersler-gators-found-each-other-just-in-time.aspx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: