RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2018 WNBA Team Resolutions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 12/29/17 1:44 pm    ::: 2018 WNBA Team Resolutions Reply Reply with quote

2018 resolutions courtesy of Michelle Smith
http://www.wnba.com/news/inside-w-michelle-smith-2018-resolutions/

Minnesota - Minnesota’s resolution for 2018 has to be grooming the franchise’s next great point guard.
Quote:
Renee Montgomery has been the heir apparent and started 12 games in 2017 when Whalen was out with a hand injury, but Montgomery is a free agent and will need to be sold on staying to take her turn.

Los Angeles - The Sparks’ resolution to make a run at another championship starts with having the right pieces in place.
Quote:
[Beard] is an unrestricted free agent and expected to return. Sims is a restricted free agent. Keeping her is also top priority.

Phoenix - The Mercury’s resolution is to get back into the conversation about title contenders from the very start of the season, rather than playing out of a hole and rallying late.
Quote:
Diana Taurasi’s retirement from overseas play should mean a healthy, rested star for her 15th WNBA season. DeWanna Bonner is expected to return after missing 2017 to give birth to twins.

Dallas - Dallas resolves to give women’s basketball fans all over the state a great reason to come and see them challenge the best teams in the WNBA.
Quote:
Last season, the Wings were the team that nobody wanted to see in the playoffs, with the explosive scoring of Skylar Diggins-Smith and Glory Johnson, and impressive young talent including Kaela Davis and Rookie of the Year Allisha Gray.

*Yawn* No mention of Cambage. SHE should be their new year's resolution.

Seattle - Hughes’ resolution for 2018 has to be to find a championship mentality in this Seattle team anchored by two of the league’s best young players and one of its all-time greats.
Quote:
Sue Bird is still playing at a very high level.

Wait, the resolution for Minnesota is to prepare to put Whalen out to pasture, but no thought of pasteurization for Bird? You're losing me, Smith.

Las Vegas - No. 1 resolution has to do directly with No. 1…as in the top pick in the draft come April.
Quote:
The Aces have an opportunity to shore up their post game by selecting South Carolina’s A’ja Wilson with the No. 1 pick.

New York - Smith will be looking to push the Liberty past a time of early playoff exits and into the final weeks of the WNBA postseason.
Quote:
Smith needs to secure Tina Charles (an unrestricted free agent) as her team’s cornerstone.

Connecticut - The Sun’s resolution is to take last year’s surprise – including the franchise’s first playoff appearance since 2012 – and turn it into 2018’s standard.
Quote:
Keeping Alyssa Thomas, a restricted free agent, is on top of the to-do list, along with integrating forward Chiney Ogwumike back into a lineup that found its groove last season with Thomas, breakout star Jonquel Jones and point guard Jasmine Thomas.

Washington - Taking this franchise to the next level in 2018.
Quote:
In fact, good health after a season of crippling injuries is the Mystics’ biggest wish for 2018.

Chicago - The Sky resolve to give their fans a good reason to fill their new downtown Chicago home in 2018.
Quote:
They might be in line for a big makeover with guards Cappie Pondexter, Jessica Breland and Allie Quigley as unrestricted free agent and center Stefanie Dolson as a restricted free agent.

Yeah, who needs continuity? They gotta mix things up. Gamble a little. Act like you're in Vegas. Surprised

Indiana - Begin a new playoff streak with this storied WNBA franchise just one year after ending the longest streak of postseason appearances in league history.
Quote:
The key to making that happen will be finding an athletic, dynamic post to accompany Candice Dupree, whose services will need to be secured in free agency, in the frontcourt.

Atlanta - Start anew in 2018.
Quote:
The hiring of Nikki Collen as the new head coach gives the Dream an opportunity to reboot as a franchise.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 12/29/17 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Renee Montgomery is 31 years old. That's the same age Whalen was when she won her second championship. Not to mention that she's nowhere close to being as good as Whalen, which is why she was available to be the backup in the first place. I'd sooner believe Alexis Jones as the PG of the future.

PostPosted: 12/29/17 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Renee Montgomery is 31 years old. That's the same age Whalen was when she won her second championship. Not to mention that she's nowhere close to being as good as Whalen, which is why she was available to be the backup in the first place. I'd sooner believe Alexis Jones as the PG of the future.

How old is Bird?

I'm sure Jones will get an opportunity, but how far in the future are you talking? Her sample size has been too small to make any big bets.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/29/17 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:

How old is Bird?

I'm sure Jones will get an opportunity, but how far in the future are you talking? Her sample size has been too small to make any big bets.

Whalen is younger than Bird, so it could easily be 3-4 years down the road. 35 year old Montgomery isn't going to be the answer. She's barely the answer now as a backup. The Lynx were 19-3 when Whalen started compared to 8-4 when Montgomery did.

PostPosted: 12/29/17 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You're trying to sell it as it's simple as that, but there are so many variables to winning and losing.... a point I was making in the Mock Draft thread.
The whole team was healthy when Whalen was playing. Brunson was hurt at the same time as Whalen, so the team depth took a big hit. Seeing a lot more of Pierson and Howard, and also more of Jones. Montgomery don't have Montgomery as a backup. Also, the schedule was lighter early in the season compared to August. Old team gets tired late in the season, so two starters going down at the same time can understandably lead to less winning. Somebody may have moved the water bottle in the wrong spot behind the toilet. Somebody may have parked in Patterson's spot. There are just so many variables to winning and losing.

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 12/29/17 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would love to see Charles join the Wings, stranger things have happened.
PUmatty

PostPosted: 12/29/17 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:

Have they?

toad455

PostPosted: 12/29/17 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

Have they?

Wait, can we make sure the Liberty will still be playing in New York before discussing any free agent moves for the team.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
toad455

PostPosted: 12/29/17 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

Have they?

Wait, can we make sure the Liberty will still be playing in New York before discussing any free agent moves for the team.

tfan

PostPosted: 12/29/17 4:54 pm    ::: Re: 2018 WNBA Team Resolutions Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Wait, the resolution for Minnesota is to prepare to put Whalen out to pasture, but no thought of pasteurization for Bird? You're losing me, Smith.

Minnesota has 4 USA National Team members and wins every other year and is the defending champion. No resolutions she can give them other than preparing to replace their oldest USA National Team member. Seattle has other issues to talk about.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 12/29/17 5:28 pm    ::: Re: 2018 WNBA Team Resolutions Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Shades wrote:

Minnesota has 4 USA National Team members and wins every other year and is the defending champion. No resolutions she can give them other than preparing to replace their oldest USA National Team member. Seattle has other issues to talk about.

Agreed. Seattle did not improve at all last year from the previous year. I think Valavanis and Boucek were not on the same page about what bench players to add. While grooming a replacement for Bird is important, the bigger issue is developing a supporting cast around the Big 3 so they might get out of the first round. Minnesota's got the present all set, so all they need is to look to the future.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 12/29/17 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

Have they?

If they have ive been blind for 21 years. Liz & Charles = Eh . Now a sign & Trade hmmm..Nah id still pass and keep the Camb*tch ! #WFFL

PostPosted: 12/29/17 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is that your resolution for the Wings... sign Charles..... and Cambage or aren't you a Cambage believer?

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 12/29/17 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Is that your resolution for the Wings... sign Charles..... and Cambage or aren't you a Cambage believer?

Just an idea, at one time I was the only person who said the wings should sign Christmas and they ended up doing so, maybe it'll work with Charles this time around. I think Tina and Liz could work well together, some smaller front lines might kill the wings, but that combo sure would score a lot. I would be all for moving Johnson, maybe to the sky and somehow the wings can land Quigley. Allie might be looking for a new home because I can't see her starting more then a handful of games if the sky end up with Mitchell or DeShields.
miller40

PostPosted: 12/29/17 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Just an idea, at one time I was the only person who said the wings should sign Christmas and they ended up doing so, maybe it'll work with Charles this time around. I think Tina and Liz could work well together, some smaller front lines might kill the wings, but that combo sure would score a lot. I would be all for moving Johnson, maybe to the sky and somehow the wings can land Quigley. Allie might be looking for a new home because I can't see her starting more then a handful of games if the sky end up with Mitchell or DeShields.

I can't see Quigley wanting to move on. She's playing in her hometown(ish) and thriving on that team.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 12/29/17 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
Shades wrote:

I can't see Quigley wanting to move on. She's playing in her hometown(ish) and thriving on that team.

Yeah i dont see Mitchell or Deshields knocking quigley out of a starting job . She's an All-Star , If anything they would slide her over and play 3 With either of the rookies. But Quigley to dallas sure bring her on . Where she will play might be even a worse situation than chicago .

Skylar
Allisha
Ariel
Kaela
Saniya
* Karima - most likely to be out

PostPosted: 12/29/17 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The only way Charles becomes a true free agent is if the Liberty go under or the entire front office fall into a coma. Unless you've already got a contract in hand (which officially they can't have, under the rules), you just core her.

PostPosted: 12/30/17 12:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah if NY exists Charles ain't going nowhere.

(Now if they don't exists which I shutter to even consider, Charles to Vegas to reunite with Big Bill and the Aces can trade the #1 pick for a really good vet on a team doing a rebuild or trade down (#1 for McCoughtry and a 2nd round pick, #1 for #3 and #4 a Wilson/Dolson front-court would look pretty good in Chicago) and Vegas will be in business in Laimbeer's debut season, but hell no to NY not existing, keeping the faith, and the fact that Vopel didn't offer any sort of qualifier when talking about NY is a good sign).

Queenie

PostPosted: 12/30/17 8:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would think the Liberty's resolution for 2018 is to exist, preferably in a good arena in New York, but what do I know?

(now with spelling variations)
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 12/30/17 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
I would think the Liberty's resolution for 2018 is to exist, preferably in a good arena in New York, but what do I know?

That was mine...and I'm sure every Libs fan's thought. But it makes you wonder...they hired a new coach right away...and nobody associated with the Libs is saying anything. I feel like there are things at play that we are not aware of that will break in a positive way. It just seems otherwise strange that Katie Smith would accept the coaching position without some assurances that the current situation will be resolved with the team staying put. She'd be a hot coaching commodity otherwise, even on the college level.

PostPosted: 12/30/17 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There've also been no suggestions that the League has moved the free agency calendar, which started on January 1st, suggesting the League is expecting the franchise to exist (and likely suggesting they expect them to exist somewhere in New York). You can't expect them to handle free agents -- their own or generally available ones - when potential players wouldn't know where they're going to play (or if the team would even exist).

PostPosted: 12/30/17 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd expect if a sale falls through at the last minute that the league would take over the Liberty for 2018. If FA is starting earlier, the whole Liberty thing needs to be set in stone ASAP.

Shades

PostPosted: 12/30/17 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I'd expect if a sale falls through at the last minute that the league would take over the Liberty for 2018. If FA is starting earlier, the whole Liberty thing needs to be set in stone ASAP.

Or MSG can keep the club for this season and move it to a different venue.
That'd be similar to what the Mystics are doing.

toad455

PostPosted: 12/30/17 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm just hoping to hear something next week. Any kind of news is needed at this point. The longer we hear nothing the more worrisome I'll be.

Queenie

PostPosted: 12/30/17 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Queenie wrote:

That was mine...and I'm sure every Libs fan's thought. But it makes you wonder...they hired a new coach right away...and nobody associated with the Libs is saying anything. I feel like there are things at play that we are not aware of that will break in a positive way. It just seems otherwise strange that Katie Smith would accept the coaching position without some assurances that the current situation will be resolved with the team staying put. She'd be a hot coaching commodity otherwise, even on the college level.

Yes, it's not like she has any experience being on a team that moved after receiving assurances that everything would be okey-dokey after an ownership change.

(now with spelling variations)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: