RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

92% of non-citizens in federal jails are illegal aliens

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/22/17 1:50 am    ::: 92% of non-citizens in federal jails are illegal aliens Reply Reply with quote

The DHS and DOJ issued a joint Alien Incarceration Report today, per new data publication orders of the Trump administration.

The report states that 92% of non-citizens held in federal jails are illegal aliens, which means only 8% are legal aliens.

These illegal aliens represent about 20% of the total federal prison population.

The report also reveals that this is likely just the tip of the illegal alien incarceration iceberg, because 90% of the incarcerated population in the USA is in state and local jails. "DHS and DOJ are working to develop a reliable methodology for estimating the status of state and local incarcerated populations in future reports."

These data, showing the overwhelming propensity of illegal aliens to commit jail crimes as compared to legal aliens, were undoubtedly suppressed by prior administrations because of their distorted cult beliefs about political correctness.

As Mark Steyn put it today, "These statistics . . . show that this country is, in effect, importing a criminal class," and that it's logical that if people enter a country illegally, there's no reason to expect that they would respect the country's other laws.

Proponents of unlimited illegal entry would undoubtedly argue that the illegal alien prison population is not a concern because it is but a small percentage of the total number of illegal aliens in the country.
justintyme

PostPosted: 12/22/17 3:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nothing better than using misleading statistics to try and push a narrative. "Importing a Criminal Class"? Do you know why these numbers are so lopsided? Do you know what types of crimes this "Criminal Class" is being imprisoned for? Immigration offenses.

That's right, according to Pew Research, immigration offenses now make up half of all federal prosecutions. In other words the vast majority of immigrants in federal prison are there on charges only an "illegal immigrant" could be charged with (illegal entry and illegal entry after removal).

So why are we pretending that this says something more than what is obvious? That if the Federal Government is going to focus on prosecuting people for immigration offenses moreso than any other other crime the population of our federal prisons will reflect that in its demographics. That is what logic tells us; any inference about people being here illegally not respecting other laws is unsupported by the data presented here.

PostPosted: 12/22/17 8:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't get it. I thought that on the first day he was in office, Trump was going to deport all of those criminaliens.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/22/17 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Nothing better than using misleading statistics to try and push a narrative. "Importing a Criminal Class"? Do you know why these numbers are so lopsided? Do you know what types of crimes this "Criminal Class" is being imprisoned for? Immigration offenses.

That's right, according to Pew Research, immigration offenses now make up half of all federal prosecutions. In other words the vast majority of immigrants in federal prison are there on charges only an "illegal immigrant" could be charged with (illegal entry and illegal entry after removal).

So why are we pretending that this says something more than what is obvious? That if the Federal Government is going to focus on prosecuting people for immigration offenses moreso than any other other crime the population of our federal prisons will reflect that in its demographics. That is what logic tells us; any inference about people being here illegally not respecting other laws is unsupported by the data presented here.

You raise a reasonable issue: How many of these illegal aliens incarcerated in the federal Bureau of Prisons (BOP) are there for no crime other than illegal entry?

My assumption is zero, but that's not specifically addressed in the DHS/DOJ Report.

Your Pew Research link is oranges, because it simply reports data on arrests, not incarcerations in the BOP after federal judicial convictions. My understanding, which could be wrong, is that illegals who are arrested for nothing more than illegal entry are usually released on their own recognizance (and almost none ever return for their court appearances), or in a minority of cases are immediately deported. The BOP jails aren't big enough to house everyone who is simply arrested, and you don't get remanded the BOP simply for arrest without a judicial criminal conviction. Nor does it make sense to incarcerate in BOP aliens who have committed no crime other than illegal entry; the law wants those people out of the country, not housed and fed by taxpayer money in the country.

I haven't cited the data in the DHS/DOJ Report about the number of non-citizens in the custody of the U.S. Marshall's Service (USMS), which presumably are all arrestees awaiting judicial conviction or other legal disposition. 97% of the non-citizens in USMS custody are illegal aliens, of which some portion may be under arrest solely for entry violations. But those data are simply not reported.
justintyme

PostPosted: 12/22/17 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
You raise a reasonable issue: How many of these illegal aliens incarcerated in the federal Bureau of Prisons (BOP) are there for no crime other than illegal entry?

My assumption is zero, but that's not specifically addressed in the DHS/DOJ Report.

Your assumption would be incorrect based upon the breakdown of offenses of those imprisoned in our federal prisons.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0kkOiAWUCUGcXZaVUItSjhHQVk/view

In 2014 (the most recent data I could find, but unlikely to be radically different now), of the 27505 illegal immigrants in the system, 20333 of them are there for immigration related offenses and 3592 were there for drug trafficking (which means they are likely not really "immigrants", but people who travel back and forth smuggling drugs who were in the country illegally when apprehended).

In other words, the vast, vast majority of illegal immigrants who are in our federal prison system are there because they are illegal immigrants.

PostPosted: 12/22/17 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Your assumption would be incorrect based upon the breakdown of offenses of those imprisoned in our federal prisons.

In 2014 (the most recent data I could find, but unlikely to be radically different now), of the 27505 illegal immigrants in the system, 20333 of them are there for immigration related offenses and 3592 were there for drug trafficking (which means they are likely not really "immigrants", but people who travel back and forth smuggling drugs who were in the country illegally when apprehended).

In other words, the vast, vast majority of illegal immigrants who are in our federal prison system are there because they are illegal immigrants.

My assumption of zero may be incorrect, but I can't tell from your linked chart. It doesn't speak to the issue of whether the "offenders" are incarcerated in the federal BOP. Nor does it say whether the "immigration" offenses are simple illegal entries, which is what I think we're trying to figure out. There are probably lots of immigration law offenses.

This requires more research, in my opinion.
tfan

PostPosted: 12/22/17 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Normally it wouldn't make sense to imprison someone for the crime of illegal entry - you just deport them. But in our case, the thinking could be: "let's give them a little time-out before they come back in again". I was in the gallery at a California court for one sentencing and the judge told the guy he would be deported and then added some nonsense statement about "if you return you will need to check in with (some government agency)".

Pew Research has not demonstrated themselves to be the best source of information. They try to tell us how many illegal aliens are here (and are who everyone quotes with regard to "more leaving than coming right now") , but when they talk about their methodology for estimating that, it appears that they are only talking about a specific group of illegal aliens: Mexicans crossing the border. As opposed to Central Americans crossing the border and people from everywhere else overstaying their visas (the latter group often being raised as being very substantial by people fighting a wall).

justintyme

PostPosted: 12/22/17 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
justintyme wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

My assumption of zero may be incorrect, but I can't tell from your linked chart. It doesn't speak to the issue of whether the "offenders" are incarcerated in the federal BOP. Nor does it say whether the "immigration" offenses are simple illegal entries, which is what I think we're trying to figure out. There are probably lots of immigration law offenses.

This requires more research, in my opinion.

That chart is a breakdown of the people currently (in 2014) incarcerated in the federal system. It was compiled by the US Sentencing Commission which gathers information about sentencing statistics.

As far as pew goes, we don't even need to use their research to see the breakdown of what illegal immigrants aee incarcerated for. The USSC's own government data tells us this.

Furthermore, while trying to figure out how many undocumented aliens are in the country requires some modeling and educated guesswork, the information posted above can be found straight up by compiling arrest statistics, which are kept by the government. We should be extremely confident in Pew's numbers since there is zero guesswork or assumptions required by them.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: