RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 88, 89, 90  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 12/21/17 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I wonder how busy the Barclays Center is during the summer and if they'd cut the new owners a deal. I still wonder if they'll be playing at multiple arenas and if Dolan will allow them to play some games at MSG with a deal for the new owners. Maybe 6 games at MSG, 7 at Barclays and 4 at Prudential Center in Newark?

Is that a plan full season ticket holders would like?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 12/21/17 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
toad455 wrote:
I wonder how busy the Barclays Center is during the summer and if they'd cut the new owners a deal. I still wonder if they'll be playing at multiple arenas and if Dolan will allow them to play some games at MSG with a deal for the new owners. Maybe 6 games at MSG, 7 at Barclays and 4 at Prudential Center in Newark?

This plan sounds sad , i would feel like a homeless fan . Liberty was a Rolling stone where ever they laid an egg was there home.

PostPosted: 12/21/17 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:
toad455 wrote:

This plan sounds sad , i would feel like a homeless fan . Liberty was a Rolling stone where ever they laid an egg was there home.

Just throwing something new out there.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
root_thing

PostPosted: 12/21/17 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:

There's the additional complication here of a probable change in venue. The purchase would need to include a negotiation with any of the possible locations and that would probably be an additional cost. This will change the potential revenue stream and potential buyers need to consider this.

Speaking of revenue, what about the jersey sponsors and other promotion partners? I'm not sure about Verizon, but DraftKings is an MSG deal. Which marketing agreements remain valid if the Liberty leave MSG? Just more factors to consider.

I have to believe that there's going to be a grace period for a lot of these arrangements -- facilities, staff, sponsorship, etc. -- while the team transitions to new ownership. Corporations plan and budget for the following year ahead of time. All that stuff is done. Forcing change over the next four months probably doesn't benefit anyone.

PostPosted: 12/21/17 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Just throwing something new out there.

Better than what anyone else has come up with so far toad so i respect it .

PostPosted: 12/21/17 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I doubt we hear anything soon. Now we're forced to wait until after the New Year. To which we start to worry since the league can't wait forever. Schedule needs to come out, free agency begins on Feb. 1, etc.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 12/21/17 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:

There's the additional complication here of a probable change in venue. The purchase would need to include a negotiation with any of the possible locations and that would probably be an additional cost. This will change the potential revenue stream and potential buyers need to consider this.

Speaking of revenue, what about the jersey sponsors and other promotion partners? I'm not sure about Verizon, but DraftKings is an MSG deal. Which marketing agreements remain valid if the Liberty leave MSG? Just more factors to consider.

I have to believe that there's going to be a grace period for a lot of these arrangements -- facilities, staff, sponsorship, etc. -- while the team transitions to new ownership. Corporations plan and budget for the following year ahead of time. All that stuff is done. Forcing change over the next four months probably doesn't benefit anyone.

It has to be somewhat complicated even just in terms of employees. Is someone like Isiah Thomas or Swin Cash technically a Liberty employee, or under contract to MSG? And would a buyer actually want all those people for whatever Dolan has been paying them?

As I understand it, when a WNBA team moves it's often technically a contraction and immediate expansion as far as the books are concerned. But with a team staying in the same city and keeping the name/framework things might be different (or if Dolan's actually looking for a fee that would complicate matters). But as Luuuc mentioned a while back, there have been some positive rumbings. Don't panic until at least mid-January.

PostPosted: 12/21/17 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
toad455 wrote:

NO and not one I would pay the current subscription rate...having to sit on bleachers with carted in food at carnesecca would make me demand even less...value is becoming an issue if Dolan wants to split the schedule...huge issue

PostPosted: 01/02/18 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And now that the holidays are over, the waiting game has begun until we hear the fate of our Liberty. Everyday without any news makes us more anxious that our Liberty won't be around. And everyday without any inside sources revealing anything makes the situation nearly unbearable. Free agency is reportedly starting earlier for 2018 and without a resolution as to if & where the Liberty will be playing makes me question the league and if it's fair to start the free agency process with a team in limbo. The real waiting game has officially begun...

Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/02/18 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Free agency is reportedly starting earlier for 2018

No one ever said that unless you've heard something I haven't. As far as I know, it's starting the same time as usual - January 1st to start making qualifing offers, January 15th for teams and players to start talking, and February 1st for anyone to start signing anything.

And I still feel that it's a good sign for Liberty fans that the League hasn't felt it necessary to change any of that (as far as I've heard).

PostPosted: 01/02/18 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Free agency is reportedly starting earlier for 2018

No one ever said that unless you've heard something I haven't. As far as I know, it's starting the same time as usual - January 1st to start making qualifing offers, January 15th for teams and players to start talking, and February 1st for anyone to start signing anything.

And I still feel that it's a good sign for Liberty fans that the League hasn't felt it necessary to change any of that (as far as I've heard).

Agreed. For me, the crucial good sign thus far is that no one has reported any significant layoffs among Liberty employees. Presumably there are staff members right now doing what they'd normally do on January 2nd. (Though no doubt season ticket sales are being seriously hurt by the uncertainty.)

I wish the Liberty had a GM, but I felt the same way last January 2nd.

PostPosted: 01/02/18 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With Charles being the top UFA, I wonder what her agent is currently telling her in regards to the Liberty situation. I sure hope it's "the new owners are keeping the team at MSG, so here's a max deal for you".

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 01/02/18 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can say that top execs katie and all ticket reps are operating business as usual as of today

PostPosted: 01/02/18 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
With Charles being the top UFA, I wonder what her agent is currently telling her in regards to the Liberty situation. I sure hope it's "the new owners are keeping the team at MSG, so here's a max deal for you".

With the core designation it doesn't really matter for her, unless she decides to bully her way off of a second team.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/02/18 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

The agent's saying "you're gonna get cored unless the entire Liberty franchise implodes."

PostPosted: 01/02/18 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
I can say that top execs katie and all ticket reps are operating business as usual as of today

Which I view as crucial confirmation that Liberty fans should try to stay calm.

PostPosted: 01/02/18 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:

I just went to check the website to see if the Liberty were still selling tickets (and was kinda horrified at the prices you guys are asked to pay for anything resembling a decent seat). It seems nuts to me that they're selling tickets to a team that will probably exist, but more than likely won't be playing at the arena shown on the ticket-pricing floor plan. Any seat you buy, any area you pick, would only end up being translated to a section in some other venue entirely. Have to think that there's every chance that things get cheaper at wherever they move, too.

PostPosted: 01/02/18 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Happycappie25 wrote:

Agreed. It would just be nice to hear SOMETHING this week. Something positive that the team is staying in New York.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 01/02/18 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
Happycappie25 wrote:

Agreed. It would just be nice to hear SOMETHING this week. Something positive that the team is staying in New York.

For reasons I've stated earlier, I view it as highly unlikely that anyone will be making an announcement this week. For your sake, since you seem so stressed, I hope I'm wrong. I continue to believe that this will drag on for a while.

Moreover, let's say that a deal is under discussion, even well along the way, but not yet signed. I don't think anyone involved is going to say anything publicly until the deal is actually done. A leak is always possible, but it looks to me like whoever is working on this has been doing a very good job thus far of keeping everything under wraps.

PostPosted: 01/02/18 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the point I'm trying to say is in any of the big leagues, anytime a team is put up for sale and there's interested buyers, we know who these potential owners are. These suitors that are apparently interested in the Liberty have been in talks since at least late November and we have no inside info on who they might be.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 01/02/18 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I think the point I'm trying to say is in any of the big leagues, anytime a team is put up for sale and there's interested buyers, we know who these potential owners are. These suitors that are apparently interested in the Liberty have been in talks since at least late November and we have no inside info on who they might be.

Why do you feel you need inside information on who these possible buyers might be? Do you feel fans have a right to know this inside information? Suppose we learn tomorrow that Rich Person X or Big Corporation Y has been in discussions with the hideous Jimmy Dolan about buying the Liberty. For me, none of it has any meaning until there is an actual deal. Lots and lots of possible business deals lead to serious discussion but never happen.

PostPosted: 01/02/18 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bringem To Texas , we need our 2 teams again Laughing

PostPosted: 01/02/18 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Happycappie25 wrote:

I just went to check the website to see if the Liberty were still selling tickets (and was kinda horrified at the prices you guys are asked to pay for anything resembling a decent seat).

Wow - my Storm seat is $400. the equivalent seat for the Liberty is nearly $1200.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/02/18 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

merlina wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Happycappie25 wrote:

I just went to check the website to see if the Liberty were still selling tickets (and was kinda horrified at the prices you guys are asked to pay for anything resembling a decent seat).

Wow - my Storm seat is $400. the equivalent seat for the Liberty is nearly $1200.

The highest-priced season ticket at the English Premier League soccer team I support (last season the 7th-best team in the most popular soccer league on the planet) is £565. That's around $768 at current exchange rates. I get that New York's one of the most expensive cities in the world whatever you're buying, but $1000+ for anything but the crappiest corner seats to see a niche sports league seems crazy. And you're not even getting as many games as I would at Everton. Congrats on showing up in the numbers that you do, NY fans.

PostPosted: 01/02/18 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, when the Liberty returned to MSG in 2014, tickets were cheap($20 for bad seats, $27-$45 for decent seats). And they had discounts available(BOGOs, $15 tickets[center]) against less popular teams. The fans returned and the team was very good. Prices really went up in 2016 and increased again in 2017(my normal $27 seat in section 108 went up to $48 and a few rows below me went up from $37 to $75). The fans still showed up. We love our team. Now if prices go up again in 2018....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
Page 14 of 90

Jump to: