RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Sexual Assault (Who's Next?)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genero36

PostPosted: 12/16/17 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

‘Bad Santa’ Director: The Weinsteins Blacklisted Mira Sorvino From My Movie Too

Quote:
"Bad Santa" director Terry Zwigoff stepped forward to say that Harvey and Bob Weinstein asked him not to even consider Mira Sorvino for his 2003 dark comedy.

"I was interested in casting Mira Sorvino in BAD SANTA, but every time I mentioned her over the phone to the Weinsteins, I'd hear a CLICK," Zwigoff wrote on Twitter. "What type of person just hangs up on you like that?! I guess we all know what type of person now."

He added, "I'm really sorry Mira."

A rep for Harvey Weinstein did not immediately respond to TheWrap's request for comment.

Zwigoff's statement follows one by Peter Jackson that Harvey and Bob Weinstein shot down Sorvino and Ashley Judd -- two actresses who have recently accused Harvey of sexual misconduct and threats to derail their careers if they spoke up -- for potential roles in his blockbuster "The Lord of the Rings.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/‘bad-santa’-director-the-weinsteins-blacklisted-mira-sorvino-from-my-movie-too/ar-BBGOyNk?li=BBnb7Kz

PostPosted: 12/16/17 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kansas Dem Andrea Ramsey, accused of sexual harassment, will drop out of U.S. House race

Quote:
Andrea Ramsey, a Democratic candidate for Congress, will drop out of the race after the Kansas City Star asked her about accusations in a 2005 lawsuit that she sexually harassed and retaliated against a male subordinate who said he had rejected her advances.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/16/17 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NBC Made Payment To Staffer After Sexual Harassment Claim Against Chris Matthews

Quote:
An MSNBC spokesman confirmed Saturday the company made a separation-related payment to one of Chris Matthews employees after the woman complained about sexual harassment.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/16/17 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pulitzer Prize winning editor of Detroit Free Press fired for inappropriate behavior with female colleagues.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/16/17 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista

PostPosted: 12/17/17 4:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
sambista wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
sambista wrote:
Are High Heels Headed for a Tumble?
With sexual harassment revelations rife and public spaces threatened, some women are wondering just why they wear these things.

Wait, what? I would use this moment as an example of the I Can Say This But You Can't ethos that is, and I'm being deadly serious, a very problematic reality of political discourse going forward. There aren't simply gradations in what can be said, which is not really a problem anyway. But there are gradations in who can say the exact same thing. And that is a really big problem. If I said that women dressing sexy contributes to their being victims of sexual assault I'd be hearing about it from here to Perth. But the NYTimes is saying it right there and nobody stopped that thought from being published.

And by the way, when are we going to have that discussion and who is even going to be allowed to participate?

we could have a conversation about it. (but maybe not now. i just watched "mudbound," and i'm in a mood. i'm tired of watching the history of racism as theater.)

i dunno. maybe i'd have to turn in my girl card, but i will allow that we women need to revisit our choices. i'm NOT equating dressing sexy with sexual assault. but combined with other cultural forces in play, signals get mixed and presumptions are made. we've been programmed and have sanctioned wearing all the come-hither accouterments, but males are supposed to see these invisible lines: this far and no farther! they're not called "f*ck-me pumps" for nothing. (and wasn't that term coined by a woman?) if the nyt story makes women think about all the sh*t we've bought into, believing we have to get all dolled up and, yes, sexy, to be attractive, then i'm all for that conversation. honestly (and here comes someone now to take away my card), if i were a man, i'd be downright confused.

i'll stop there because my thoughts aren't altogether together.

A big lesson we teach in writing is that the narrative voice matters. Which character says something (or thinks something) can change the meaning of the text entirely. Who that character is essential to the story that is told. Choosing which character to use for the point-of-view of a scene is one of the most significant choices a writer can make. And often the same scene will be written more than once with different PoVs until it finally feels right.

So, yes, there are absolutely gradiations of who can say the exact same thing and have it lead to different meanings.

In this case, however, it is all about choices. No one should think it wrong for a woman to explore her own choices on what to wear and why she is doing it. If a woman wants to wear high heals because it makes her feel good about herself and gives her confidence (even men do this--a new suit, a good haircut, etc. can make us feel good about ourselves) then that is great. But if she hates the way it makes her feet feel and feels like she has to wear it because men expect her to, then she should be able to choose to not.

But these are personal choices. It's about self-reflection and personal autonomy. When it instead becomes about telling other people what they can and cannot wear because of how other people (read: men) aren't capable of behaving themselves and acting professional around someone they find attractive it now becomes offensive.

Basically, it is the difference between "I" statements and "you" statements. "I don't want to wear shoes that hurt like hell, especially when men seem incapable of understanding that sexiness and sex appeal is not a prelude to sex or sexual comments", versus "You shouldn't wear that if you don't want to be harassed or assaulted".

all that said, we can't ignore our cultural imprints and make these choices in a vacuum and expect others to read our minds.

so here's a scenario: two friends at a popular club. one woman's wearing fashionable clothes - dressy jeans, loose top, flat-soled shoes - and minimal makeup. the other woman's wearing fashionable clothes - short, tight dress with plunging neckline, high heels, sparkly jewelry - and dramatic eye makeup and red lipstick.

what would be your instant impressions about these two women? and would your instant impressions be as simple as, or simply stop at, concluding that each woman came to the club with no preconceived ideas and both dressed in a way that made each feel beautiful?

no. that's not human nature. most people, men and women, would assign characteristics and labels. until we get to a place where presumptions aren't out of whack, and where people are respectful of other people on a very fundamental level, regardless of outer trappings, our personal choices may continue to influence outcomes. and in this respect - cultural labels, presumptions out of whack - women must own their culpability.

but getting back to high heels, i think women would celebrate if something turned culturally and, all a sudden, wearing flat shoes was the new sexy. it only takes a few significant people to lead the way. i mean, who'd have thought a man bun was sexy, not sissy?

PostPosted: 12/17/17 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pope: Media sins by dredging up, sensationalizing old news

Quote:
Pope Francis is criticizing journalists who dredge up old scandals and sensationalize the news, saying it's a "very serious sin" that hurts all involved.

Quote:
But he reminded them to provide precise, complete and correct information and not to provide one-sided reports.

The pope said: "You shouldn't fall into the 'sins of communication:' disinformation, or giving just one side, calumny that is sensationalized, or defamation, looking for things that are old news and have been dealt with and bringing them to light today."
PUmatty

PostPosted: 12/17/17 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Pope: Media sins by dredging up, sensationalizing old news

Quote:
Pope Francis is criticizing journalists who dredge up old scandals and sensationalize the news, saying it's a "very serious sin" that hurts all involved.

Quote:
But he reminded them to provide precise, complete and correct information and not to provide one-sided reports.

The pope said: "You shouldn't fall into the 'sins of communication:' disinformation, or giving just one side, calumny that is sensationalized, or defamation, looking for things that are old news and have been dealt with and bringing them to light today."

The head of the Catholic church couldn't possibly have some self-interested motives in keeping sexual assault allegations quiet ...

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/17/17 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Panthers owner abruptly selling team after horrid accusations

Quote:
Other wrongs cited including Richardson exploiting “Jeans Day” to ogle women’s backsides, luring employees up to his suite at Bank of America Stadium, where in one instance he requested a foot massage, and in others he gave back massages in which he let his hands explore too low. Additionally, he allegedly personally asked Panthers female employees if he could shave their legs

And the Romans thought Nero, Tiberius and Caligula were bad.
Genero36

PostPosted: 12/17/17 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 12/18/17 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tavis Smiley: 'PBS made a huge mistake.' PBS to Smiley: Get your story straight

Quote:
"Tavis Smiley needs to get his story straight," a spokeswoman for PBS said Monday in an email to CNN's Brian Stelter.

"First, today on 'Good Morning America,' Mr. Smiley acknowledged he has had multiple sexual encounters with his employees... This contradicts his Facebook post from last week, where he cited only one previous relationship with an employee," the PBS statement said.

The public broadcasting organization said last week it had hired an outside law firm to handle an investigation into the matter "following receipt of a complaint."

"The totality of the investigation, which included Mr. Smiley, revealed a pattern of multiple relationships with subordinates over many years, and other conduct inconsistent with the values and standards of PBS," the statement said.

Smiley responded at that time, saying "if having a consensual relationship with a colleague years ago is the stuff that leads to this kind of public humiliation and personal destruction, heaven help us."

PBS also cited Smiley's comments Monday about applauding the women who have come forward, and noted that his company requires former and current employees to sign non-disclosure agreements.

"Witnesses who have bravely come forward to speak with the independent investigators retained by PBS report a fear of retribution for speaking out," the network said, adding that more allegations "are continuing to come to light since last week's announcement."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/18/entertainment/tavis-smiley-interview/index.html

PostPosted: 12/19/17 8:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:

we could have a conversation...

I’m not convinced of that.

scullyfu

PostPosted: 12/19/17 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Quote:
Other wrongs cited including Richardson exploiting “Jeans Day” to ogle women’s backsides, luring employees up to his suite at Bank of America Stadium, where in one instance he requested a foot massage, and in others he gave back massages in which he let his hands explore too low. Additionally, he allegedly personally asked Panthers female employees if he could shave their legs

before anyone starts feeling sorry for this guy, remember he's gonna become a millionaire many times over when he sells the team. he's not going to be living under a bridge.

PostPosted: 12/19/17 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
“Matt Damon- SERIOUSLY? You are a smart man. A privileged, white man,” the Will & Grace star wrote on Monday. “This is NOT the time to ask for a pat on the back. How about we NOT celebrate men who are simply decent human beings. Stay on track, Matt. It’s not about you.”

“Matt Damon is dense AF,” McGowan, who has taken aim at Damon and pal Ben Affleck before amid the Harvey Weinstein sex scandal, wrote.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/celebrity/matt-damon-slammed-again-for-saying-there%e2%80%99s-a-%e2%80%98whole-s%e2%80%94load-of-guys%e2%80%99-who-aren%e2%80%99t-sexual-predators/ar-BBH0j6m?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=mailsignout

PostPosted: 12/19/17 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Quote:

before anyone starts feeling sorry for this guy, remember he's gonna become a millionaire many times over when he sells the team. he's not going to be living under a bridge.

No worries - I don't think there is a lot of sympathy floating around here in the first place.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 12/19/17 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:

Quote:
“Matt Damon- SERIOUSLY? You are a smart man. A privileged, white man,” the Will & Grace star wrote on Monday. “This is NOT the time to ask for a pat on the back. How about we NOT celebrate men who are simply decent human beings. Stay on track, Matt. It’s not about you.”

“Matt Damon is dense AF,” McGowan, who has taken aim at Damon and pal Ben Affleck before amid the Harvey Weinstein sex scandal, wrote.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/celebrity/matt-damon-slammed-again-for-saying-there%e2%80%99s-a-%e2%80%98whole-s%e2%80%94load-of-guys%e2%80%99-who-aren%e2%80%99t-sexual-predators/ar-BBH0j6m?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=mailsignout

It's surely just a matter of time before Mattsplaining is added to the dictionary.

PostPosted: 12/20/17 12:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
all that said, we can't ignore our cultural imprints and make these choices in a vacuum and expect others to read our minds.

so here's a scenario: two friends at a popular club. one woman's wearing fashionable clothes - dressy jeans, loose top, flat-soled shoes - and minimal makeup. the other woman's wearing fashionable clothes - short, tight dress with plunging neckline, high heels, sparkly jewelry - and dramatic eye makeup and red lipstick.

what would be your instant impressions about these two women? and would your instant impressions be as simple as, or simply stop at, concluding that each woman came to the club with no preconceived ideas and both dressed in a way that made each feel beautiful?

no. that's not human nature. most people, men and women, would assign characteristics and labels. until we get to a place where presumptions aren't out of whack, and where people are respectful of other people on a very fundamental level, regardless of outer trappings, our personal choices may continue to influence outcomes. and in this respect - cultural labels, presumptions out of whack - women must own their culpability.

but getting back to high heels, i think women would celebrate if something turned culturally and, all a sudden, wearing flat shoes was the new sexy. it only takes a few significant people to lead the way.

Many good points in this thread, but the above is articulately insightful.

Now, about THIS....
sambista wrote:
i mean, who'd have thought a man bun was sexy, not sissy?

::Raises hand:: I think a man's buns are VERY sexy. No?

PostPosted: 12/20/17 1:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:

While I understand this, the problem is that these labels are all subjective.

Say I am in some conservative Middle Eastern country where there is an expectation that women cover themsleves completely. Is a woman who chooses to go out in jeans and a t-shirt because she finds them comfortable at all responsible for how others will perceive her? Or does this only apply to women who dress in a way that our culture has labeled as such?

There was a time when a glimpse of an ankle was what a "plunging neckline" and a tight skirt is to us today. And on the flip side there are women walking around competely naked in nudist colonies that are not even being blinked at.

The general consensus here would be that it is oppressive and wrong for a woman to be forced to wear a burqa and to sexualize her if she wore what we consider to be "normal clothes". So why does the same not apply to us and our own subjective standard?

PostPosted: 12/20/17 9:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Christian Bale: 'Culture will be richer when we stop white dudes running things'

Quote:
"Our culture will be so much richer the day that we stop saying, 'Hey, it's all white dudes who are running things,'" Bale said. "Whether that be Hollywood, whether that be Washington, you know. We're going to get, in Hollywood, so much better films and so much more interesting stories being told and America will become the America that the rest of the world sees it as, that makes it unique."

Quote:
"As an Englishman, we recognise what makes this such a beautiful, brilliant country and [how] not to ruin that," he said. "It's the reason I moved here. It's the reason my kids have American accents. It's because... it's a country of inclusion and invitation."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2017/12/20/christian-bale-culture-will-richer-stop-white-dudes-running/

PostPosted: 12/20/17 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TMZ: Police Investigating Sylvester Stallone for Alleged Rape in 1990

Quote:
Stallone denied the allegations to TMZ. He said he spent three days with the accuser during a 1987 movie shoot in Israel, but never saw her in 1990. Stallone said that during those three days, he was single, she was not a minor, and there was never a rape. The actor’s attorney Marty Singer said he plans to file a complaint accusing the woman of filing a false police report.

This is the first time the accuser has reported the alleged rape to police. There is no statute of limitations on prosecuting rape cases in California.

Last month, The Daily Mail resurfaced a 1986 police report, confirmed by the head of Las Vegas P.D.’s sexual assault unit at the time, in which a 16-year-old girl claimed Stallone and his bodyguard Michael De Luca “intimidated” her into having sex with both of them. The girl said Stallone threatened to “beat her head in” if she told anyone about the incident. Stallone and his bodyguard were both married at the time. The girl declined to press charges.

https://www.spin.com/2017/12/sylvester-stallone-rape-investigation/

PostPosted: 12/20/17 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USA Gymnastics: McKayla Maroney's attorney in 2016 initiated confidentiality request

Quote:
"They were willing to engage in a systematic cover-up of the entire matter," Manly said Wednesday when asked about the confidentiality agreement.

In late 2016, USA Gymnastics paid Maroney to sign the confidentiality agreement, Manly said, effectively buying the silence of one of the sport's most recognizable Olympians. Manly would not disclose the amount, but The Wall Street Journal reported that Maroney was paid $1.25 million.

Maroney willingly entered into the agreement, Manly said, but did so at a time when she was emotionally traumatized by the emerging news that Nassar had sexually abused dozens of other women under the guise of medical treatment.

"I want people to understand that this kid had no choice. She couldn't function. She couldn't work," Manly said. "They [USAG] were willing to sacrifice the health and well-being of one of the most famous gymnasts in the world because they didn't want the world to know they were protecting a pedophile doctor."

http://www.espn.com/olympics/gymnastics/story/_/id/21825575/usa-gymnastics-struck-agreement-mckayla-maroney-keep-larry-nassar-abuse-quiet-lawyer-says

PostPosted: 12/22/17 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Petition Demands Matt Damon's Removal From Ocean's 8 After Controversial Sexual Harassment Comments

Quote:
Matt Damon’s recent controversial comments on Hollywood’s sexual harassment scandal has prompted a petition for his cameo to be removed from Ocean’s 8.

At the time of publication, the online petition had nearly 18,500 signatures calling for his removal.

Citing Damon’s alleged involvement in an attempt to kill a 2004 story about Harvey Weinstein’s history of sexual misconduct, the petition claims the actor’s inclusion in Ocean’s 8 would “trivialize the serious nature” of the allegations.

“Damon’s inclusion would trivialize the serious nature of the charges against sexual abusers like Weinstein — a show massive disrespect for the brave women speaking out,” read the petition.

http://people.com/movies/petition-demands-matt-damons-removal-from-oceans-8/

Link to Petition
https://www.thepetitionsite.com/441/501/676/sexual-harassment-isn’t-a-joke-remove-matt-damon-from-oceans-8/

I signed.

PostPosted: 12/22/17 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hey Genaro36,

I appreciate your work in keeping this "Hall of Shame" updated. Too bad it is getting so large.

Genero36

PostPosted: 12/22/17 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Hey Genaro36,

I appreciate your work in keeping this "Hall of Shame" updated. Too bad it is getting so large.

It is too bad but I'm not shocked. I think celebrity worship is dangerous and maybe people can raise their kids to look up to tangible role models and not ideas.

PostPosted: 12/22/17 9:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AP Poll: Sexual misconduct allegations voted top news story

Quote:
The wave of sexual misconduct allegations that toppled Hollywood power brokers, politicians, media icons and many others was the top news story of 2017, according to The Associated Press' annual poll of U.S. editors and news directors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: