RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 88, 89, 90  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 11/30/17 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
http://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/21619656/msg-discussing-sale-wnba-new-york-liberty-several-groups

Not sure if this has already been posted but some optimism for the liberty fans !!

Thanks for posting this.

PostPosted: 11/30/17 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
http://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/21619656/msg-discussing-sale-wnba-new-york-liberty-several-groups

Not sure if this has already been posted but some optimism for the liberty fans !!

Thanks for posting this.

No problem , i felt a rush of joy seeing this myself as i view all WNBA fans as a secret family in the public eye Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: 11/30/17 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Thanks for posting this.

No problem , i felt a rush of joy seeing this myself as i view all WNBA fans as a secret family in the public eye Very Happy Very Happy

Smile

PostPosted: 11/30/17 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Thanks for posting this.

We need a secret handshake or secret password. Very Happy

PostPosted: 11/30/17 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Thanks for posting this.

We need a secret handshake or secret password. Very Happy

Throw up the Dub lol #W

PostPosted: 11/30/17 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very happy to hear there's several groups interested in not only buying the team, but keeping the team in the New York area. Now it's just a matter of where exactly they'll be playing.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 11/30/17 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Very happy to hear there's several groups interested in not only buying the team, but keeping the team in the New York area. Now it's just a matter of where exactly they'll be playing.

Im extra happy for you toad , glad you get to keep your team and in the same city ! And Yes i agree now all we gotta find out is whereeeeeee Crying or Very sad Idea Idea

PostPosted: 12/01/17 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd like to address a basketball issue. I hope we will soon have new owners who will hire an experienced, talented general manager to work with Katie Smith, Swin Cash, and Teresa Weatherspoon. I believe the amorphous no-GM situation we've seen was far less than ideal.

No criticism intended of Smith, Cash, or Weatherspoon. I have great respect for all of them. But we'll have a head coach in her first year ever in that position. I'd rather not see Smith working without a GM. Or with a GM in her first year ever in that position.

PostPosted: 12/01/17 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nice to see that direct approach and confidence coming from Lisa Borders. Liberty and women's basketball fans should feel good heading into this weekend, and into December.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 12/03/17 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A consequence of not knowing what will happen with our team is that I've...at least for now...lost interest in following WCBB or watching international games. Not that I watched a ton of WCBB before but at least I would watch occasionally. I watched some international games last year but now it's hard to have an interest in that either.

PostPosted: 12/12/17 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some more info would be nice.

PostPosted: 12/13/17 1:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Agreed.

I am using college season as a reason and a way to emphatically not think about this.

(now with spelling variations)
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 12/13/17 2:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've gone into pure faith and/or denial mode where I believe everything is going to work out. If we get to January and nothing has been made official or ay least leaked out I will start to rethink that strategy, but for now everything is fine, looking forward to next season with the Liberty in NY.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 12/13/17 2:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Word around the craps tables of Vegas is that Lib fans have cause for optimism and should wait around a month from now before starting to worry about things.

PostPosted: 12/13/17 8:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm hoping there is some sort of breaking news on December 24th to give the Lib fans a nice present. Or at least on Dec 31 to usher in a Happy New Year.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 12/13/17 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My guess: if we don't hear anything this week, we won't hear anything till January.

PostPosted: 12/13/17 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
My guess: if we don't hear anything this week, we won't hear anything till January.

Basically. Then we start to worry if we don't hear anything by mid-January.

tfan

PostPosted: 12/20/17 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A new arena is going to be built in the New York City area in a parking lot at the Belmont Park horse racing track. Once built, the New York Islanders will move there from the Barclays Center in Brooklyn.

Mapquest shows it as being an 11.6 mile drive from Madison Square Garden. But with heavy traffic that will take you 57 minutes. The Long Island Railroad has a stop near the track but "Train service is provided on event days only."

Islanders win bid to build arena at Belmont Park

toad455

PostPosted: 12/20/17 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
A new arena is going to be built in the New York City area in a parking lot at the Belmont Park horse racing track. Once built, the New York Islanders will move there from the Barclays Center in Brooklyn.

Mapquest shows it as being an 11.6 mile drive from Madison Square Garden. But with heavy traffic that will take you 57 minutes. The Long Island Railroad has a stop near the track but "Train service is provided on event days only."

IMO, this is needed for New York. No timeline was given for when this might be ready though. Islanders will play at Barclays in 2018-19. Maybe the Liberty move to Barclays for two season until this arena is built?

root_thing

PostPosted: 12/20/17 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
tfan wrote:

IMO, this is needed for New York. No timeline was given for when this might be ready though. Islanders will play at Barclays in 2018-19. Maybe the Liberty move to Barclays for two season until this arena is built?

Following the Islanders to Belmont was mentioned earlier. It's not easier to get there than Barclay Center, but it will probably be more affordable for the team. Good or bad, it doesn't solve your immediate problem.

Fans are focused on where the games will be played. However, the new owners also have to find practice facilities, housing for the players (preferably nearby), and new staff for sales and administration. The Liberty are fully integrated into the MSG "ecosystem", so all of that support has to be replaced. Also, with no MSG, who is broadcasting the games?

PostPosted: 12/20/17 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I still wonder if Dolan will cut a deal with the new owner(s) to play a select amount of games at MSG in July & August. There will still be gaps in the calendar, even with added concerts.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 12/20/17 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
toad455 wrote:
tfan wrote:

Following the Islanders to Belmont was mentioned earlier. It's not easier to get there than Barclay Center, but it will probably be more affordable for the team. Good or bad, it doesn't solve your immediate problem.

Fans are focused on where the games will be played. However, the new owners also have to find practice facilities, housing for the players (preferably nearby), and new staff for sales and administration. The Liberty are fully integrated into the MSG "ecosystem", so all of that support has to be replaced. Also, with no MSG, who is broadcasting the games?

All good questions, especially since it's December 20th and the opening of WNBA training camps and the 2018 season really isn't all that far away.

PostPosted: 12/21/17 1:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was looking at how long it took to sell the Sparks. There is an article that says that Paula Madison informed the WNBA that she couldn't afford to put any more money into the Sparks shortly before Christmas 2013. The sale to some of the Dodgers owners was announced on February 4th, 2014.

For the Liberty it was announced that they were for sale on November 14, 2017. So the Liberty sale period, currently at 35 days (if the public announcement is the first time any potential buyers knew of it) is still within the time frame of the Sparks sale which was at least 42 days, although exactly how long a period it was depends on which day before Christmas Madison contacted the WNBA.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 12/21/17 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
I was looking at how long it took to sell the Sparks. There is an article that says that Paula Madison informed the WNBA that she couldn't afford to put any more money into the Sparks shortly before Christmas 2013. The sale to some of the Dodgers owners was announced on February 4th, 2014.

For the Liberty it was announced that they were for sale on November 14, 2017. So the Liberty sale period, currently at 35 days (if the public announcement is the first time any potential buyers knew of it) is still within the time frame of the Sparks sale which was at least 42 days, although exactly how long a period it was depends on which day before Christmas Madison contacted the WNBA.

There's the additional complication here of a probable change in venue. The purchase would need to include a negotiation with any of the possible locations and that would probably be an additional cost. This will change the potential revenue stream and potential buyers need to consider this.

toad455

PostPosted: 12/21/17 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder how busy the Barclays Center is during the summer and if they'd cut the new owners a deal. I still wonder if they'll be playing at multiple arenas and if Dolan will allow them to play some games at MSG with a deal for the new owners. Maybe 6 games at MSG, 7 at Barclays and 4 at Prudential Center in Newark?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
Page 13 of 90

Jump to: