RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn 2017-18 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 11/15/17 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Olivia Nelson-Ododa announcement PHOTO

Now that UConn has signed #1 Christyn Williams at guard, whom Geno has called the best high school player in America, and Olivia Nelson-Ododa, who was the former #1 before injuring her ACL and who is the best 6-4 high school player in America, UConn fans on Wooster Street in New Haven are already reported to be lamenting the tedious team they will have to endure this season until they can get to the exciting team of next season.
But there are at least two restaurants where they can find an interim cure if not to satisfy their rapacious appetite with arguably the best pizza in the world.

No fooling the apizza lovers.

Now if you also love the taste of tea leaves, note that in the video of Geno I posted above, at about 9:05, he said he was waiting on "one more" recruit in the fall after Christyn Williams AND there "could be more down the road, who knows, in the springtime". I don't think I've ever heard Geno even suggest he might have a spring recruit. Who is it? Only Frank, Sally and the Shadow know.

Ezi Magbegor the Australian basketball player.
Ay Mate

PostPosted: 11/16/17 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Where’s Ridor who keeps saying that the Huskies won’t get any top recruits because no one wants to play in a horrible conference like the AAC? No where, that’s where. Laughing

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 11/16/17 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Someone interpret Geno's aimless Middle America wanderings for me, please.

PostPosted: 11/16/17 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

I can't except to relate a story my brother told to me. He played on the Georgetown golf team and they played in a multi-school tournament in SW Virginia. As they got to the vicinity of the site he noticed that many of the road signs reminded him of something and suddenly he realized it was the old Andy Griffith/Ron Howard show Mayberry RFD. Lots of the same towns (except Mayberry itself) and as he discovered, a lot of the same type of "down home" folks. He described it as surreal after living in DC. I expect Geno experienced the same feeling. I got a similar feeling in the Caribbean and Yucatan. People aren't in a hurry to do anything. It takes a couple of days to adjust to a different pace to life. For a guy like Geno who likely has a structured day of activity most every day surrounded by overachievers, that can be a shock to the system.

Last edited by linkster on 11/17/17 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 11/17/17 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn is still hopeful of putting together an official visit for 18-year-old Australian Eziyoda Magbegor during the season. A 6-4 forward, she is in her rookie season with the Canberra Capitals of Australia’s Women’s National Basketball League.

http://www.newbritainherald.com/NBH-General+Sports/312362/uconn-womens-basketball-lands-top5-recruit-nelsonododa
myrtle

PostPosted: 11/17/17 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

I can't except to relate a story my brother told to me. He played on the Georgetown golf team and they played in a multi-school tournament in SW Virginia. As they got to the vicinity of the site he noticed that many of the road signs reminded him of something and suddenly he realized it was the old Andy Griffith/Ron Howard show Mayberry RFD. Lots of the same towns (except Mayberry itself) and as he discovered, a lot of the same type of "down home" folks. He described it as surreal after living in DC. I expect Geno experienced the same feeling. I got a similar feeling in the Caribbean and Yucatan. People aren't in a hurry to do anything. It takes a couple of days to adjust to a different pace to life. For a guy like Geno who likely has a structured day of activity most every day surrounded by overachievers, that can be a shock to the system.

I loved his hemming and hawing, trying to find the words to be PC about the trip. Really cute! okie dokie.

- Amanda Gorman
cthskzfn

PostPosted: 11/18/17 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
linkster wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

I loved his hemming and hawing, trying to find the words to be PC about the trip. Really cute! okie dokie.

It was the hemming and hawing, which seemed to be an attempt to avoid saying something derogatory- you call it being PC- which interested me the most.

I've experienced the "Mayberry" effect many times. I drove into Billings, Montana in 1998 and felt like I was in 1965. No chain stores. Cars parked on Main St windows down. Friendly folks who said hi walking down the sidewalk.

Geno's take reminded me of those Budweiser(?) ads- everybody says "how ya doin'?" to each other, not really meaning it or wanting/expecting a reply, but there's an old guy from "Middle America" who actually answers the question, in great detail, much to everyone else's chagrin. It felt like Geno was one of the city slickers trying hard not to bust the old guy's balls.

PostPosted: 11/18/17 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/f7yn4o4XhKM" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I just noticed in this video I posted above that the first few plays show 6-4 Ezi Magbegor (13) scoring a layup around ONO (9), shooting over 6-3 Janelle Bailey (14) in the low post, and stuff blocking 6-1 Maya Dodson (8).

This was a game in which Australia beat the USA in the U17 semifinals, 73-60, and then went on to win the tournament, for which Magbegor won the MVP award. Magbegor had 10 points, 10 rebounds and four blocks in 25 minutes against the US. ONO had 17 points, 10 rebounds and 1 block in 26 minutes in the game. Charli Collier played only two minutes and didn't score.

If UConn could get Magbegor in the spring of 2018 and then 6-4 Aliyah Boston of Worcester, MA, in 2019, a known recruiting target, they would possibly have the most athletic 6-4 triplet ever to soar over the maple.

To dream further, if UConn also got the 6-4 dunking phenom out of Canada in 2019, Laeticia Amihere . . . well, maybe balancing minutes for that quartet would be a nightmare.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/23/17 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No. 1 UConn routs No. 5 UCLA 78-60 for 39th road win in row

Is this headline true? Disingenuous? Equivocation? Hypertechnical?
bballjunkie

PostPosted: 11/24/17 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Easy answer YES. Wasn't impressed with UCLA, thought they would be better and wasn't impressed with their in game coaching. So many lapses. Uconn also looked out of sorts which granted they are missing a major piece, but some will have to temper their adulation of a player who was put on a pedi before she even played a second for Uconn. Maybe now people realize how different it is playing for Geno and Uconn.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/24/17 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
Easy answer YES.

Yes, to what? My question isn't focused on the word "routs" but on something else.
bballjunkie

PostPosted: 11/25/17 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry, YES to disingenuous.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/30/17 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It seems to me that Gabby has adjusted well to having Azura in the middle, but my feeling is that it has thrown Collier off her game. And I think Azura still looks a bit lost out there. My strategy against the Huskies would be to let Azura hoist threes. Smile And if she's in the lane, play hack A-Zura. She really hasn't shown much shooting touch this year. In fact, a great many of the shots she has made have been courtesy of great passing - mostly from Gabby or Dangerfield. I would tell my defender on Azura to not follow her out of the key but stay in there to protect against the cutters.

Just curious what UConn fans think about it. So far it hasn't mattered much as you continue to roll even without KLS. But viewing as an outsider, it just looks like things aren't running as smoothly as we're used to seeing.

- Amanda Gorman
linkster

PostPosted: 12/01/17 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
It seems to me that Gabby has adjusted well to having Azura in the middle, but my feeling is that it has thrown Collier off her game. And I think Azura still looks a bit lost out there. My strategy against the Huskies would be to let Azura hoist threes. Smile And if she's in the lane, play hack A-Zura. She really hasn't shown much shooting touch this year. In fact, a great many of the shots she has made have been courtesy of great passing - mostly from Gabby or Dangerfield. I would tell my defender on Azura to not follow her out of the key but stay in there to protect against the cutters.

Just curious what UConn fans think about it. So far it hasn't mattered much as you continue to roll even without KLS. But viewing as an outsider, it just looks like things aren't running as smoothly as we're used to seeing.

Stevens has taken about 3 three's a game so it's not like she's gunning from behind the arc. And I don't expect to see her taking many 3's Sunday. While her shooting from 3 has been poor at UConn, she hit about 35% her second year at Duke when she averaged about two 3's/gm. I see her scoring more inside against Notre Dame, some of which will be putbacks of misses. Stevens is a 72% shooter from 2pt range this season and a lot of those were transition points. I don't see Shepard keeping up to Azura in a race down the floor. I thought that Vaughan would be a better choice despite the height difference and without her Notre Dame will have problems. Stevens, Collier and Williams all have excellent low post games and unless the Irish play a zone one of them will have a missmatch inside.
UConn has been having Williams and Collier driving the lanes more this year and they tend to foul. I expect to see Notre Dame attempting to draw charging calls. I expect some heated exchanges on the game thread on Sunday with words like "flop" entering the discussion. Very Happy I also noticed that Nelson picked up 4 fouls in 7 minutes of play last night. I could see her trying to trade fouls with UConn's front line, and hopefully putting one or two of them on the bench.

As far as how things are running I think a lot of that is due in large to expectations of perfection. I think UConn's defense, which has been maligned over 4th period sloppiness, has been outstanding in the 1st halves this year.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 12/01/17 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

With regard to Azura, Geno stated two things, she is being coached to take advantage of her height and quickness and therefore go inside more rather than playing the high post or camp on the perimeter. Second he said that since she came to UCONN last year the focus has been to teach her to move without the ball, especially within his read and react system.

Geno also told both Samuelson and Collier that this would be a much tougher year for them as they would be the prime targets of other teams defensive schemes. Before she was hurt, Samuelson showed she understood and has adjusted to this attention. Collier has not.

PostPosted: 12/16/17 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Transferred UConn player Natalie Butler is dominating the nation with 164 total rebounds compared to second place Stephanie Mavunga's 145. Maybe Geno should have given her more minutes on last season's steamroller. He could have used her big body against Notre Dame.

Scoring is so balanced on UConn that it's hard to see three of the players making first team AA, especially on the five player AP team. It may be hard to see two or even one on the AP team -- as of right now. Collier has come down in scoring and way, way down from last season in FG% and efficiency, Samuelson has only played four games, and Williams is 6th on the team in both PPG and efficiency. Meanwhile, Nurse and Dangerfield have been playing better than last season, and newcomer Stevens has put up good numbers (except from her set shot line). If no player really stands out, it will be hard to determine who deserves an AA accolade.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/16/17 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

duplicate
cthskzfn

PostPosted: 12/18/17 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Megan Walker will miss tomorrow night's game vs Oklahoma due to flu.

PostPosted: 12/20/17 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can anyone identify these players from the 1985 team, who got Geno's first win (against Iona)?

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 12/20/17 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Azura Stevens' last five games (MSU, Nevada, Notre Dame, DePaul, Oklahoma):
-- 19.00 points per game
-- 11.00 rebounds per game
-- 77.55 percent from two-point range (38-49)
-- 70.18 percent overall shooting (40-57)

A few additional notes:
-- These numbers represent 62.5 percent of Stevens' career games at UConn to date (five out of eight games played)
-- Stevens is putting up these numbers in only 27 minutes per game (in the last five games)
-- In the same time frame, five games, Stevens is also averaging 4.00 assists per game, with an A/TO of 3.33-to-1 (20 assists, 6 turnovers).

Again, let THIS sink in...
For 62.5 percent of her UConn career, Azura Stevens is averaging 19 points, 11 rebounds, 4 assists (and nearly two blocks per game), while shooting over 70 percent from the floor.

linkster

PostPosted: 12/20/17 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
-- 19.00 points per game

A few additional notes:
-- These numbers represent 62.5 percent of Stevens' career games at UConn to date (five out of eight games played)
-- Stevens is putting up these numbers in only 27 minutes per game (in the last five games)
-- In the same time frame, five games, Stevens is also averaging 4.00 assists per game, with an A/TO of 3.33-to-1 (20 assists, 6 turnovers).

For 62.5 percent of her UConn career, Azura Stevens is averaging 19 points, 11 rebounds, 4 assists (and nearly two blocks per game), while shooting over 70 percent from the floor.

And scored 10 points in the 4th period to spearhead UConn's comeback win vs Notre Dame. Not all scoring is equal.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 12/20/17 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
-- 19.00 points per game

A few additional notes:

Awesome. And just think- If UConn played under ND transfer rules, they would have won their 5th straight NC last year. Razz

PostPosted: 12/21/17 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cam you missed a stat shooting threes at 20% but my question is how many points is she giving up Wink

linkster

PostPosted: 12/21/17 11:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In UConn "where are they now" news Dec 21st was quite a day for former players Ekmark and Butler.

Ekmark hit her first five 3's to spearhead ASU to an early lead and went on to score 23 points (7-10 on 3's) as ASU routed SEC opponent Arkansas 89-43.

Natalie Butler had 35 points (13-16) and 19 rebounds in a loss to AAC's Houston.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/22/17 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
In UConn "where are they now" news Dec 21st was quite a day for former players Ekmark and Butler.

Ekmark hit her first five 3's to spearhead ASU to an early lead and went on to score 23 points (7-10 on 3's) as ASU routed SEC opponent Arkansas 89-43.

Natalie Butler had 35 points (13-16) and 19 rebounds in a loss to AAC's Houston.

Butler has started every game at GMU and is averaging almost a 20/15 double double. Eckmark has started every game at ASU and is fourth in scoring. Sadie Edwards has started every game at USC and is essentially tied for third in scoring.

All these UConn transfers are doing very well on good teams, two of them very near home, and presumably are content with their transfer decisions.

It's always been puzzling to me that UConn doesn't have more transfers, as Geno rarely gives any competitive time to players beyond the top seven or occasionally eight. He also usually seems to make up his mind about the top rotation potential of freshmen very quickly, even before the season begins.

Having interviewed several UConn players while they were in high school or before their first UConn season, I can say that they seem generally unaware of this pattern of bench play at UConn. They all believe that they will get the personal coaching attention at UConn to turn them into great players. I'm never sure whether this statistical unlikelihood is self-confidence or self-delusion, as almost all of these players have been big stars in their high school cocoons.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: