RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2018 Team USA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
UK1996

PostPosted: 12/17/17 10:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I wonder if all those vets retire before 2020 what the team will look like and what potential college players could make the team. Noticed Jefferson wasn't invited, too.

PG: Diggins/???
SG: Loyd/Hayes/K. Mitchell
SF: Moore/Delle Donne
PF: Stewart/N. Ogwumike/Wilson
C: Fowles/Griner

If that happens, one would have to wonder if Inoescu would get a shot. She will be the best guard in the country by her senior year.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 12/18/17 1:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK my opinion on this matter is beginning to change. I was all for letting the veteran players keep their spots in 2016 because I still thought they were so good that even slowed a little by age you could argue that they were still the best at their position, and I did think that their experience and loyalty to and with team USA was enough to keep that at the top of the list. With that said I also assumed that at minimum 50% of the 2016 National team was going to move on and there would be a decent amount of spots opening up to bring in new players for 2018 through say 2024. Now that 11 of the 12 players are still in the pool for the National team going forward I think maybe it is time for the young guns to knock them out of their spots. (Even though I don't think that will happen if all are healthy).

On a different note even if some players are knocked off I don't see Charles as being one of them so I'm a little surprised that so many are pushing her off the roster instead of others. Charles is still in her prime and has diversified her game by improving her defense and increasing her range. And Charles while excelling at the 4 is still capable of playing the 5 on the International scene (yeah you probably don't want her lining up against Cambage, but she can hold her own with most of the other 5 she'll encounter, and will be a match up problem for them on the offensive end).

And a 3rd different point PG of the future. I threw out Jefferson's name after the 2016 Olympics and still think if she gets healthy I could see her there. I also think C. Gray once she gets into the pool is a really good candidate. Logic says it should be Diggins but I have a feeling that just like the Worlds in 14 she'll be competing with Sims for a spot either as more of a combo guard and even though Skylar could easily be on the team and do a great job I'm beginning to think she might be passed over (unfairly) for unknown reasons. While I could see any of the above players as the lead PG in 2020 my new gut feeling is that Staley will want to work with K. Mitchell for that spot (Mitchell is more of a scoring guard but she has to be at OSU) Mitchell has all the tools to play PG (today she had 9 assists 1 turnover while scoring 30 plus points) and playing with other great players on the National team she will be able to make passes, break down the defense and if need be score at will with the single coverage she will often face playing with Moore, EDD, Griner and the like. You bring Mitchell in for that spot now and Dawn won't have to worry about the PG spot until after 2024 when she will probably move on anyway. I'm not saying this is what I think should be done, but it is just a hunch. If Mitchell is one of the new player on the World team in 18 it will be with this intention.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 12/18/17 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mo is hurt and it will take a while for her to get through this injury which would include camps for the Worlds. I don’t think Bird should be thrown in with DT, last thing I heard she looked really good and no one was close in camp. She could still be a player who USA uses to groom the next PG. Dawn herself always talks about how she became a player who tried to make everyone on the team better as there is enough scoring and it is very difficult for a score first player to run point for USA especially if they don’t have another weapon to offer like lock down D. Truth is some of the players you talk about don’t like playing D let alone getting up full court for the PG position which is what they would need if they are not good team managers. I could see Mo coming back but that would depend on her recovery.

The fact that DT is the one who seems to be struggling, along with Mone, Whalen and Angel not playing in the W I am not sure what Bird and all the talk about the PG is. Or is the focus on one or 2 players that one or 2 people want on the team. This is a message board not the view of the whole of the basketball community or even the members of USA who really have the right to put together a team that has been the most dominant team for many years. A team that should involve players who don’t care about themselves not a team where one player according to some should be on there well because they think there is some kind of conspiracy theory and nothing to do with facts like they may not mesh with the other players or they are not following instructions or they don’t understand the game or they don’t understand how to play team basketball or team defense etc.

Shades

PostPosted: 12/18/17 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the best criteria for vetting vets (besides how they look in the current camps) is to see how important they were in the previous tournament two years ago. If they were deep bench players two years ago, I think a player knows it's their time to go and it's kind of a mutual understanding between player and usab. If they're still relevant and getting good minutes because they're getting the job done, then I can't see randomly saying it's your time to go. Cash and Jones were deep bench players in 2014 (and actually I remember Jones being better defensively on Cambage than Charles). Catchings was deep bench in 2016. I'm trying to remember the last vet guard who was deep bench. I'm struggling with that... I might have to research that later. But I don't see that as a bad thing. That's a testament to the dedication of these vet Core 4 guards. They've been very important to the success of usab, and continue to be both in terms of playing and mentoring.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ClayK

PostPosted: 12/19/17 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What exactly was Moriah Jefferson's injury, and when was the surgery?

PostPosted: 12/19/17 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
What exactly was Moriah Jefferson's injury, and when was the surgery?

Something knee-ish, and late-September: http://blog.mysanantonio.com/the-local-scene/2017/09/basketball-stars-guard-jefferson-has-knee-surgery/

PostPosted: 12/20/17 7:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The article was far from informative.

Given that so much of Jefferson's effectiveness is based on her quickness and explosiveness, it's conceivable this could affect her career dramatically.

Or she could be 100% next year.

It's troubling, though, that they took the whole season to decide to do surgery (if it was cut-and-dried why not just get to it?) and that they've never said what it is.

PostPosted: 12/20/17 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think you have to ask why it is so difficult for USA to bring in new players. I don't buy the theories. I think there are too many selfish one on one players who haven't learned the game, other than trying to pad their stats. You can't just all of a sudden get a basketball IQ. If you have not been held accountable for being a team player and a player who tries to make everyone around them better, then you won't be able to play at that level.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/10/18 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brian Agler, Dan Hughes, Cheryl Reeve to Serve as Court Coaches at USA National Team February Minicamp

http://www.wnba.com/news/brian-agler-dan-hughes-cheryl-reeve-serve-court-coaches-usa-national-team-february-minicamp/

Quote:
“When looking at who to ask to be a court coach for the 2018 USA National Team minicamp, these three coaches were the most obvious choices to assist Dawn at our upcoming camp,” said Carol Callan, USA Basketball Women’s National Team director and chair of the USA Women’s National Team Steering Committee. “They all know what it takes to win, they’re all successful coaches in the league and they’ve worked with many of the athletes we will have at the camp. I can’t think of three better coaches to assist Dawn Staley and the USA National Team in February.

PostPosted: 02/02/18 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2018/02/wnt-feb-camp-roster-1.aspx

16 members of the 2018-20 USA Basketball Women’s National Team pool
Sue Bird (Seattle Storm)
Tina Charles (New York Liberty)
Layshia Clarendon (Atlanta Dream)
Elena Delle Donne (Washington Mystics)
Skylar Diggins-Smith (Dallas Wings)
Stefanie Dolson (Chicago Sky)
Brittney Griner (Phoenix Mercury)
Tiffany Hayes (Atlanta Dream)
Jewell Loyd (Seattle Storm)
Angel McCoughtry (Atlanta Dream)
Maya Moore (Minnesota Lynx)
Nneka Ogwumike (Los Angeles Sparks)
Kelsey Plum (Las Vegas Aces)
Diana Taurasi (Phoenix Mercury)
Morgan Tuck (Connecticut Sun)
Courtney Williams (Connecticut Sun)

USA National Team hopefuls
Allisha Gray (Dallas Wings)
Chelsea Gray (Los Angeles Sparks)
Tiffany Mitchell (Indiana Fever)
Brittney Sykes (Atlanta Dream)
Sydney Wiese (Los Angeles Sparks)
Elizabeth Williams (Atlanta Dream)

Members of the USA National Team pool who are unavailable to participate in the February camp
Seimone Augustus (Minnesota Lynx)
Napheesa Collier (University of Connecticut)
Asia Durr (University of Louisville)
Jantel Lavender (Los Angeles Sparks)
Kayla McBride (Las Vegas Aces)
Kelsey Mitchell (Ohio State University)
Chiney Ogwumike (Connecticut Sun)
Katie Lou Samuelson (University of Connecticut)
Odyssey Sims (Los Angeles Sparks)
A’ja Wilson (University of South Carolina)

Could be available for camp depending on outcome in playoffs
Sylvia Fowles (Minnesota Lynx)
Breanna Stewart (Seattle Storm)

I’m guessing that second group are just getting their feet wet and aren’t serious contenders, although I thought Chelsea Gray might deserve more consideration, especially with the retirement of Whalen.

ClayK

PostPosted: 02/02/18 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Notice that Kaela Davis and Diamond DeShields, two very talented players who have been involved with USA Basketball in the past, are not on this list. Sydney Wiese, who no one would accuse of having more skills and more athletic ability than Davis and DeShields, is on the list.

Draw your own conclusions ...

PostPosted: 02/02/18 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not surprised. Doubt Dawn will put any of her players on the team after last nights showing Laughing

Shades

PostPosted: 02/09/18 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7Vn4JJbHm88" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 02/12/18 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2018/02/wnt-day-3-quotes.aspx

Quote:
Dawn Staley, 2017-20 USA Basketball Women’s National Team head coach
On who will be the next USA point guard:
They’re all here. Skylar’s out here, Clarendon from the Atlanta Dream, Kelsey Plum, Sydney Wiese, they’re all here. Obviously there’s a need, especially with Lindsay Whalen stepping aside. So, it leaves the door open for some of the young players or some of the players who haven’t been a part of an Olympic-type atmosphere or a World Cup. The committee has given them a real good look to see if they’re fitting into what we’re trying to do here with USA Basketball.

Yikes, Shocked Laughing Poor Chelsea and Odyssey

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/12/18 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Sydney Wiese makes the US National Team, never mind makes it with the intention of playing her at point guard, I can only imagine the caterwauling that would ensue.

PostPosted: 02/12/18 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
If Sydney Wiese makes the US National Team, never mind makes it with the intention of playing her at point guard, I can only imagine the caterwauling that would ensue.

If that's not a sign of the apocalypse I don't know what is.

Either that or she has some compromising photos of Carol Callan.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 02/12/18 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whoa, that s some BS rich there, Sims and Gray not included but the scrub on the bench who Agler doesn't even trust Laughing

pilight

PostPosted: 02/12/18 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:

Quote:
They’re all here. Skylar’s out here, Clarendon from the Atlanta Dream, Kelsey Plum, Sydney Wiese, they’re all here. Obviously there’s a need, especially with Lindsay Whalen stepping aside. So, it leaves the door open for some of the young players or some of the players who haven’t been a part of an Olympic-type atmosphere or a World Cup. The committee has given them a real good look to see if they’re fitting into what we’re trying to do here with USA Basketball.

Sims isn't a point guard. No reason Staley should be considering her for that role.

PostPosted: 02/13/18 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Could we make more bullshit out of nothing?

Sims wasn't in camp, Gray was in her first appearance so Dawn forgot her too when asked.

Who cares? They weren't slighted intentionally I'm sure. I'm sure she threw out the first guards she thought of. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 02/13/18 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Whoa, that s some BS rich there, Sims and Gray not included but the scrub on the bench who Agler doesn't even trust Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 02/13/18 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:

Quote:

Sims isn't a point guard. No reason Staley should be considering her for that role.

You could say the same thing about Plum and Wiese. Wink

Shades

PostPosted: 02/13/18 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
pilight wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:

Quote:

You could say the same thing about Plum and Wiese. Wink

I hate when people say “_______ is not a point guard” unless it’s obvious they couldn’t play the position. With Sims it’s not so obvious. Even Wiese was a floor general with Oregon St.

Sims made the senior team by the skin of her teeth in 2014. You would think she’d have the advantage and seniority moving forward, but she’s been floundering in Team USA ever since. She didn’t show up to Olympic camps... may have been hurt. Didn’t make the team in 2016. Of course, no young guards made the team. They went with only 4 guards (Bird, Taurasi, Whalen, Augustus) to 8 forwards with a few forwards versatile to play guard in a pinch.

I don’t recall if Sims made it to the fall camp. What was her excuse for missing this one? Only fully established senior team members should feel comfortable about missing camps. Heck, even Maya made the effort to be there after playing 2 games for UMMC. Sims is nothing so special that she’s going to have a spot held for her.

As far as Chelsea Gray goes, she along with the other Gray and Wiese were categorized as “hopefuls”. To me that seems to be the equivalent of the WNBA training camp contract. They’d have to really dazzle to make the team. Because of her size, maybe they aren’t even looking at CGray as PG. Look what she says in her quotes: “You didn’t have to create your own shot, it just comes naturally with the people you have out there on the floor.” Sounds like she was more concerned about somebody creating a shot for her than the other way around.

Of course, they don’t give us much to go on so we try to draw conclusions from what little we have. Can’t expect everybody to agree.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/14/18 12:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cxyFegim0RQ" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vLlDaSHOvGg" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

adamj95

PostPosted: 02/14/18 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/MechelleV/status/962753117182971904

Quote:
Minnesota's Seimone Augustus missed USA Basketball camp because she's still rehabbing/recovering from a procedure on her knee.

PostPosted: 02/14/18 5:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does anyone know something about Loyd health? She didnt participate in all the exercises i think

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 11 of 23

Jump to: