RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Mississippi @ Oregon - 12/17/17

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 12/16/17 6:18 pm    ::: Mississippi @ Oregon - 12/17/17 Reply Reply with quote

Eugene, OR - 4:00 PM ET
TV: Pac-12 Network

Video:
http://pac-12.com/womens-basketball/event/2017/12/17/ole-miss-oregon (tvp)

Audio:
https://tunein.com/radio/Oregon-IMG-Sports-Network-s206509/

Live stats:
http://www.statbroadcast.com/events/statmonitr.php?gid=ore

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 12/17/17 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
linkster

PostPosted: 12/17/17 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oregon 46 Miss 24 at the half

Ionescu with 12pts 4rb 9as

linkster

PostPosted: 12/17/17 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

midway through the 3rd period and Ionescu has 12pt, 7rb's & 11as

Miss has a lot of athletes but few scorers. Oregon with 15 offensive boards to 8 for Ol Miss.

linkster

PostPosted: 12/17/17 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ionescu gets her 7th triple double at the end of the 3rd period. She sets the PAC12 career record and ties the NCAA career record.

The fact that she is a third of the way through her sophomore season is astounding.

Last edited by linkster on 12/17/17 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 12/17/17 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Have all 7 of her T.D.s come against shitty opponents?

PostPosted: 12/17/17 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mississippi is 9-1

Must be that going SE to NW thing Wink

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 12/17/17 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ole Miss' signature win is vs MTSU, and its glaring loss is to Massey #150 St. Louis, by 15.

Ole Miss is shitty competition. Smile

PostPosted: 12/17/17 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In any regard, I'm sure Ionescu isn't the only player in NCAA history to encounter poor competition. Should triple doubles be happening all the time?

willtalk

PostPosted: 12/17/17 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Ole Miss' signature win is vs MTSU, and its glaring loss is to Massey #150 St. Louis, by 15.

So all the other players who got triple doubles accomplished them only in final fours games in NCAA playoffs?

linkster

PostPosted: 12/17/17 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

Massey No 59

linkster

PostPosted: 12/17/17 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A quick google search gave these: Miss, Drake, UCLA, TAMU, Utah, San Jose St

Can't find No 7 but I'd say that while not a who's who of wcbb the list is pretty representative.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 12/17/17 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

So all the other players who got triple doubles accomplished them only in final fours games in NCAA playoffs?

idk. you can research it if you want.

PostPosted: 12/17/17 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

Massey No 59

yeah, i saw that too. Pretty crappy, as we both know.

PostPosted: 12/17/17 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
In any regard, I'm sure Ionescu isn't the only player in NCAA history to encounter poor competition. Should triple doubles be happening all the time?

idk, but they don't give me a boner like they do others.

Anyway, Ionescu sucked vs the only 2 real teams she played this year. The fawning needs perspective, imo. Very Happy

PostPosted: 12/17/17 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nobody says she walks on water, but 7 early in her sophomore year is very fawn-worthy.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 12/17/17 11:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Assuming double-digits in 3 categories is fawn-worthy. It's one of those non-thing things, like "1000" wins.

PostPosted: 12/17/17 11:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
willtalk wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

I think that is what you should have done before you made your comment. Sabrina is a bit to ball dominant for me. But the issue is not her abilities or style of play rather the record and that is impressive under any conditions. And barring the unforseen it appears that she is not just going to ace out the previous record holders. Still this is only about a record, period. You claim other people are holding her in a higher regard as a player than they should. Well the reverse is also relevant. Why does it bother you that people are astounded at her setting this record so early in her career? It seems that you have some other sort of motive that goes beyond keeping peoples perspectives grounded.

The bottom line is that all records require quite a few things working in your favor.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 12/17/17 11:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Triple doubles are impressive, if only because 10 assists in a game is impressive. 10 rebounds by a guard is also impressive. On the other hand statistics like these have at least as much to do with pace of play, number of possessions and offensive balance as they do with individual skill. But if you consider that this has only been done by one other player in women's basketball history, and she did it in basically one third the games, this is very impressive.

Some history.

Ionescu is the third player to record 7 triple doubles. The first was Suzie McConnell (Serio) who did it in 128 games The second was Louella Tomlinson of St Mary's who did it in 125 games, but Tomlinson did it with blocks, not assists. (It is possible that either McConnell or Ionescu could have had 10 steals but I don't believe either did).

But if you don't want to be impressed by her triple doubles, how about her 9 assists per game this season. Or her 3pt shooting % over 50% for the season while averaging nearly 3 3's a game. Or her assist to turnover ratio of better than 3. Or that she is leading her team in scoring, assists, offensive rebounds and steals as a sophomore.

No one is saying this means she is the best women's basketball player ever. But she is very impressive indeed.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 12/18/17 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
willtalk wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

I think that is what you should have done before you made your comment. Sabrina is a bit to ball dominant for me. But the issue is not her abilities or style of play rather the record and that is impressive under any conditions. And barring the unforseen it appears that she is not just going to ace out the previous record holders. Still this is only about a record, period. You claim other people are holding her in a higher regard as a player than they should. Well the reverse is also relevant. Why does it bother you that people are astounded at her setting this record so early in her career? It seems that you have some other sort of motive that goes beyond keeping peoples perspectives grounded.

The bottom line is that all records require quite a few things working in your favor.

It was unnecessary, really, and the tone of my remark was used to meet the snarkiness of yours. Smile

15/1/5 (6-16) vs MS ST
8/3/2 (3-12) vs LOU

for an avg of

11.5/2/3.5 (4.5-14)

vs Top 10 teams.

PostPosted: 12/18/17 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes they have. It is just like all the other records, no way they are happening if you play on a team who plays a tough schedule and shares the ball. Interesting that Graves has gone away from teaching his players how to play tough defense, even Gonzaga with Sloot had a much tougher mentality than this team.

willtalk

PostPosted: 12/18/17 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
willtalk wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
willtalk wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

It was unnecessary, really, and the tone of my remark was used to meet the snarkiness of yours. Smile

15/1/5 (6-16) vs MS ST
8/3/2 (3-12) vs LOU

for an avg of

11.5/2/3.5 (4.5-14)

vs Top 10 teams.

Basketball, more than most sports, is greatly influenced by the effects and combination of the variables created by Match-ups and Timing. Wins and losses are thus dictated via game plans and in game adjustments which would allow one teams personal to take advantage of match ups or specific one game circumstances which are a result of timing. Those two examples you gave are just a potential logical consequence of those variables.

I posted that I was not a fan of Sabrina's ball dominance. Teams that rely on those type of players are easier to game plan against. When the Timing factor is favorable ( player having an off day ) combined with the personal to take advantage of that ( match ups ) it will work out favorably. Favorable or unfavorable match-ups or Timing can negate or reinforce each others effects. The stats you posted from those two games are a result of the oppositions favorable match-ups combining with negative timing in respect to Sabrina.

The aspects in respect to timing and match-ups can apply to either the team or an individual player. For example in the Louisville game the variables in respect to team Timing was totally in Louisvilles favor and the game was
essentially no contest. However in the Miss St. the Miss state had a great game plan that made the best use of their match ups and the Oregon coach didn't make adjustments until the later part of the game on the offensive side until the second half. He never made the defensive adjustment at all even though he had the personal to do so. An example of what I am referring to is that both VV and McCowan had both match ups and Timing working in their favor that night so they dominated. It was a game when positive factors came together for them. They are obviously not going to put up that kind of production and numbers every night. No player is ever as good as their best game or as bad as their worst.

Teams that play Oregon know that they need to focus on Sabrina defensively. And when they have the right match ups and the timing is not in Sabrina's favor then they will be successful. Being from California I have seen teams adjust their game plan to target for her for years now. In a year when she was the only top player on her team it was more effective but more often it was not. I am talking about top level teams who had the personal to do so. You can not just cherry pick two games and use those as an example to prove your already preconceived perspective. There are too many variables involved in basketball to use such small samples, even though most fans tend to constantly do so. I feel that Oregon has the talent to not rely so much on her this year ant that might ultimately affect the number of triple doubles she finally ends up with, but she will still get plenty.

As to your being snarky in response- Your reversal tactic of playing the victim will not work. Your agenda motivated attitude was present from the start and wasn't triggered by my post. What motivates you is not that big a mystery. At least to me! You are real obvious. This match up is not in your favor.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 12/18/17 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not that you need me to come to your defense, but let it go. You are right. Sabrina is a great player who has some flaws. I would have loved for her to stay home and go to Cal, but she was not going to fit into Lindsay Gottlieb's scheme. And I'm not sure how she would have coexisted with Kristine Anigwe. Oregon has some other good players, but without Sabrina this is maybe a borderline top 25 team, not a borderline top 10 team.

There are some people on this board who can't appreciate basketball unless you have an All American at every position playing selflessly because there are always other players around you that are just as good as you. That is not the real world.

I like Kelly Graves. I think he will bring Sabrina around and get her to appreciate how to better utilize her teammates while still having the team revolve around her. And I expect her to wind up with about 20 triple doubles in her career, including a few against top 25 teams. And that Oregon will go at least 19-1 in those games. I wouldn't even mind if she got one against Cal, particularly if that is the one she lost.

But for now appreciate the triple doubles for what they are, a wonderful achievement by an all-around very good sophomore basketball player who will continue to improve.

Queenie

PostPosted: 12/18/17 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For your viewing pleasure: https://twitter.com/sabrina_i20/status/942869250259148800

PostPosted: 12/18/17 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
willtalk wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
willtalk wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

15/1/5 (6-16) vs MS ST
8/3/2 (3-12) vs LOU

for an avg of

11.5/2/3.5 (4.5-14)

vs Top 10 teams.

Basketball, more than most sports, is greatly influenced by the effects and combination of the variables created by Match-ups and Timing. Wins and losses are thus dictated via game plans and in game adjustments which would allow one teams personal to take advantage of match ups or specific one game circumstances which are a result of timing. Those two examples you gave are just a potential logical consequence of those variables.

I posted that I was not a fan of Sabrina's ball dominance. Teams that rely on those type of players are easier to game plan against. When the Timing factor is favorable ( player having an off day ) combined with the personal to take advantage of that ( match ups ) it will work out favorably. Favorable or unfavorable match-ups or Timing can negate or reinforce each others effects. The stats you posted from those two games are a result of the oppositions favorable match-ups combining with negative timing in respect to Sabrina.

The aspects in respect to timing and match-ups can apply to either the team or an individual player. For example in the Louisville game the variables in respect to team Timing was totally in Louisvilles favor and the game was
essentially no contest. However in the Miss St. the Miss state had a great game plan that made the best use of their match ups and the Oregon coach didn't make adjustments until the later part of the game on the offensive side until the second half. He never made the defensive adjustment at all even though he had the personal to do so. An example of what I am referring to is that both VV and McCowan had both match ups and Timing working in their favor that night so they dominated. It was a game when positive factors came together for them. They are obviously not going to put up that kind of production and numbers every night. No player is ever as good as their best game or as bad as their worst.

Teams that play Oregon know that they need to focus on Sabrina defensively. And when they have the right match ups and the timing is not in Sabrina's favor then they will be successful. Being from California I have seen teams adjust their game plan to target for her for years now. In a year when she was the only top player on her team it was more effective but more often it was not. I am talking about top level teams who had the personal to do so. You can not just cherry pick two games and use those as an example to prove your already preconceived perspective. There are too many variables involved in basketball to use such small samples, even though most fans tend to constantly do so. I feel that Oregon has the talent to not rely so much on her this year ant that might ultimately affect the number of triple doubles she finally ends up with, but she will still get plenty.

As to your being snarky in response- Your reversal tactic of playing the victim will not work. Your agenda motivated attitude was present from the start and wasn't triggered by my post. What motivates you is not that big a mystery. At least to me! You are real obvious. This match up is not in your favor.

Laughing

Such a healthy sense of self, and rather verbose.

11.5/2/3.5 (4.5-14)

vs Top 10 teams.

PostPosted: 12/19/17 10:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And of course this was Mississippi, and not Mississippi STATE. /s

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: