RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2018 Team USA college players
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 12/17/17 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If there are term limits, it should be imposed by FIBA on all countries, not just the USA on itself. That makes no sense. If a player wants Taurasi or Bird's spot on the team, kick their butt in camp. Make it so there's no question about who should get the spot. That doesn't seem to be happening. There is no clear separation being made by the younger players. The only rationale is....well it's not fair. Crying or Very sad

I'm surprised such a progressive group would encourage age discrimination AND sex discrimination if you're not talking about imposing the same limits on the men's side. Can you imagine the lawsuits? Can we just set this poorly conceived idea aside once and for all?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 12/17/17 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

you could call it reverse age discrimination. The point is that some of the younger players are clearly as good as or better than the oldies, but the oldies get the call regardless...just because they've been there before.

- Amanda Gorman
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/17/17 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I liked the old system when the Olympics was limited to amateurs. Every four years the U.S. men's basketball team would be composed of new crop of college players with maybe an occasional company team player. The greatest of all is still the 1960 team.

Of course, other countries kept sending the same players because they didn't play professional ball, just club ball. Who can ever forget the most prolific scorer in basketball world history, including five Olympics, Oscar Schmidt.

In today's more monetized, professionalized, televised, profitized and clickbaiticized Olympics, term limits would only be fair if every country adopted them.

It does seem historically momentous that there's not one Tennessee alum even in the Olympic pool. Has there ever been an Olympics without a Lady Vol on the team?

And while they're not college students anymore, why would Plum be in the pool over Jefferson? Injury?

Finally, where's the unstoppable Chennedy Carter?
pilight

PostPosted: 12/17/17 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Of course, other countries kept sending the same players because they didn't play professional ball, just club ball. Who can ever forget the most prolific scorer in basketball world history, including five Olympics, Oscar Schmidt.

They were being paid to play club ball. It was professional to everyone except the IOC.

PostPosted: 12/17/17 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
Well I know that would make you miserable BAHAHAHAHAHA.

See my post under WNBA Sims was my lock over your choices but then then you just like southerners who don't play any defense.

How old are you? Did your folks let you mix liquor with the Eggnog again?

Old enough to see through your bullcrap Laughing But I will take eggnog with my liquor any time.

Last edited by Nixtreefan on 12/17/17 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 12/17/17 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the DT word is true then maybe they move her to the bench as lead cheerleader.

linkster

PostPosted: 12/17/17 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd be more inclined to accept the argument that older players step aside if the same people had been saying it about then 38 year old (and in her 4th Olympics) Tamika Catchings. As it is I see most of it as simply thinly disguised "I'm sick of seeing all the UConn players" bias.

I remember when Al Oerter and Edwin Moses were praised for their continued high level of performance over a long period. But then neither attended UConn. Rolling Eyes

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/18/17 1:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
I'd be more inclined to accept the argument that older players step aside if the same people had been saying it about then 38 year old (and in her 4th Olympics) Tamika Catchings. As it is I see most of it as simply thinly disguised "I'm sick of seeing all the UConn players" bias.

I remember when Al Oerter and Edwin Moses were praised for their continued high level of performance over a long period. But then neither attended UConn. Rolling Eyes

I really don't think it is this anti-UConn thingie. I mean the chances are they will be replaced by more UConn players anyway. I actually think Bird, Whalen, DT, and Seimone at least should be done...so that's 2 UConn'ers and 2 nons. And the chances are that two of the replacements could well be more Huskys. And as I said before, I lobbied that Catch should call it quits before the last Olys as well. So at least speaking for myself, it doesn't have to do with what school they came from. I think UConn consistently gets the top players and that Geno consistently makes them better during their time in Storrs so it's logical that a lot of them end up on the national team. But when they're done, they should be done. It was ridiculous for instance to have Swin Cash and Asia Jones on the team when they were added - that was really all about being from UConn and not about being the best players in the country. JMO.

- Amanda Gorman
linkster

PostPosted: 12/18/17 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
linkster wrote:

I really don't think it is this anti-UConn thingie. I mean the chances are they will be replaced by more UConn players anyway. I actually think Bird, Whalen, DT, and Seimone at least should be done...so that's 2 UConn'ers and 2 nons. And the chances are that two of the replacements could well be more Huskys. And as I said before, I lobbied that Catch should call it quits before the last Olys as well. So at least speaking for myself, it doesn't have to do with what school they came from. I think UConn consistently gets the top players and that Geno consistently makes them better during their time in Storrs so it's logical that a lot of them end up on the national team. But when they're done, they should be done. It was ridiculous for instance to have Swin Cash and Asia Jones on the team when they were added - that was really all about being from UConn and not about being the best players in the country. JMO.

My comment about anti-UConn bias was directed at the totality of the posts and not anyone in particular. I have no problem with dropping players who aren't good enough. My problem is with the idea that players who may still be the best choices based on talent, experience and the ability to play within the coach's concept of team play should step aside to give others a chance. That POV is more anti-UConn BS than anything else. Those same people wanted Parker, in her 3rd Olympics instead of Stewart in her first when none of them (not you) suggested that Catchings should be the one to be dropped. And we all know who that group was.

As far as Cash and Jones & the 2016 team, I do think that they were put on the team in part because of their being former UConners. But not because they were "Geno's darlings" as some would have us believe, but because they knew Geno's style of play and more importantly, knew his style of practice. Geno has never been one to play someone simply because he liked them. They were on the team to be practice players and were willing to accept the fact that they weren't going to get much if any actual playing time in the games. For all the public statements about the honor of being in the Olympics, there are a lot of players who would sulk in that sort of role.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: