RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

DT out of Russia

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 12/16/17 12:34 pm    ::: DT out of Russia Reply Reply with quote

OK so DT leaving Russian for good, anyone?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 12/16/17 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thought it might be coming when they re-signed Toliver. Taurasi's numbers this season, especially in the EuroLeague, are abysmal. I haven't watched enough of UMMC to know whether she was playing with the "literally can't give a single shit any more" attitude we've seen plenty of in recent years, but if she was then that wouldn't have helped either.

Still, wouldn't surprise me if one of the few other teams with serious money behind them threw money at her to join them later in the season.

PostPosted: 12/16/17 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Thought it might be coming when they re-signed Toliver. Taurasi's numbers this season, especially in the EuroLeague, are abysmal. I haven't watched enough of UMMC to know whether she was playing with the "literally can't give a single shit any more" attitude we've seen plenty of in recent years, but if she was then that wouldn't have helped either.

Still, wouldn't surprise me if one of the few other teams with serious money behind them threw money at her to join them later in the season.

Shoot you aren’t kidding about abysmal stats. 18% from 3 and 23% total. Shocked

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 12/16/17 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, it's official:

https://www.facebook.com/dianataurasi/videos/10155837411592416/

https://basket.ugmk.com/en/news/index.php?id15=21866

I hope she's ok...

toad455

PostPosted: 12/16/17 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You have to wonder how many years she has left. Last season with Phoenix wasn't exactly good.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
hyperetic

PostPosted: 12/16/17 11:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How is that going to bode for her in Team USA selections? I suppose she could show up better in camp...
bballgrl

PostPosted: 12/17/17 1:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is very sudden is it not. Why is she leaving Russia? Wonder what is going on. Hope to hear more about this cause nothing was said as to why she is leaving. Wonder if she and Penny are starting a family and she wants to be home. Very strange.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 12/17/17 1:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, very sudden and strange. Maybe a wisdom tooth issue?

PostPosted: 12/17/17 2:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
This is very sudden is it not. Why is she leaving Russia? Wonder what is going on. Hope to hear more about this cause nothing was said as to why she is leaving. Wonder if she and Penny are starting a family and she wants to be home. Very strange.

It's a team with a lot of depth, a lot of quaity players, and she's been playing like absolute garbage. A friendly, amicable parting of the ways works out a lot better for everybody than Lange sitting her on the bench while she's annoyed and embarrassed (and being very highly paid), or continuing to play her when she's not making the team better.

Of course if there's an ongoing reason for her level of performance (besides age and attitude), then that could be a problem. But now she has six months to recover if there is a physical problem that she's been suffering from, assuming she doesn't play again until the WNBA season.

PostPosted: 12/17/17 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FWIW, UMMC's first official game sans DT. They are playing Dynamo Kursk, last year's Euroleague champ which includes Nneka, Piph and Angel:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=fK450INCjxw

They are just starting the 3rd with Kursk up 2.

UK1996

PostPosted: 12/17/17 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
You have to wonder how many years she has left. Last season with Phoenix wasn't exactly good.

It was supposedly and All WNBA 2nd team season.

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 12/17/17 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow! Maya is heading to Russia:
https://mobile.twitter.com/CoachRookie/status/942437550077169666

It's funny, the announcer kept talking about DT. He mentioned Toliver and then said something about Maya. Of course, I could only pick out names and nothing in between Embarassed Laughing Who knew that this was the story!

Randy

PostPosted: 12/17/17 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If I was a Lynx fan I would not be happy about this. A lot of players who go to Russia seem to get injured, burned out, or end up sitting out WNBA seasons (e.g Taurasi, Angel, Nolan).

adamj95

PostPosted: 12/17/17 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
If I was a Lynx fan I would not be happy about this. A lot of players who go to Russia seem to get injured, burned out, or end up sitting out WNBA seasons (e.g Taurasi, Angel, Nolan).

How long does the Russian season last? Maya was off with her shot to start the season this year so maybe playing overseas will help keep her in rhythm.

PostPosted: 12/17/17 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

The primary coincidence there is that a lot of the top players go to Russia, because that's where the money is. Those are things we only really notice or care about when they happen to the top players.

Dumping DT makes even more sense now. They had an upgrade waiting in the wings if they could open up an import spot.

PostPosted: 12/17/17 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Was Moore set to play somewhere else this off-season?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
bballgrl

PostPosted: 12/17/17 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
bballgrl wrote:

It's a team with a lot of depth, a lot of quaity players, and she's been playing like absolute garbage. A friendly, amicable parting of the ways works out a lot better for everybody than Lange sitting her on the bench while she's annoyed and embarrassed (and being very highly paid), or continuing to play her when she's not making the team better.

Of course if there's an ongoing reason for her level of performance (besides age and attitude), then that could be a problem. But now she has six months to recover if there is a physical problem that she's been suffering from, assuming she doesn't play again until the WNBA season.

How is BG doing and feeling about DT's departure? Hope she doesn't change her play due to it.

awhom111

PostPosted: 12/17/17 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It looks like UMMC will be fine, but it's interesting timing if it is not injury or other another time-sensitive matter. Although they had not been fielding her for domestic league games, they did play (and lose to) Dynamo Kursk today. They also have a tough-ish EuroLeague game against Avenida on Wednesday before the holiday break, although I suppose Toliver will be available.

If the Maya news is true, that leaves some interesting choices for the presumed Russian League Finals. The assumption would continue to be that Dynamo Kursk would leave Cruz out and roll with McCoughtry, Petrovic, Ogwumike, and Ciak as their foreigners. UMMC would probably go with Moore, Meesseman, and Griner, as locks. That leaves the tough decision of whether to pick Torrens over Toliver with Baric and Sanders probably the last choices.
mercfan3

PostPosted: 12/17/17 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UK1996 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

It was supposedly and All WNBA 2nd team season.

Dee's season wasn't a "DT in her prime" season, but it was a good season as compared to the other guards in the league.

Anyway, I've heard she's hurt. Not playing year round rejuvenated Sue a lot, so we'll see if it helps, but she stopped playing year round at an earlier age than DT did.

PostPosted: 12/18/17 10:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This was her last season with UMMC and overseas anyway. So i think this is a health issue and DT saying let me sit out and be with my family and you sign your next star for the next 5+ years.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 12/18/17 8:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So they're indeed saying injuries:

http://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/21809075/diana-taurasi-cuts-short-euroleague-season-due-injuries

Shades

PostPosted: 12/19/17 3:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Taurasi had said several times during the WNBA season this past summer that she likely would play just one more season overseas. However, her agent, Lindsay Kagawa Colas, told ESPN on Monday that Taurasi has not officially decided yet to retire from EuroLeague, but is taking a sabbatical for now as she battles injuries.

Taurasi, who will turn 36 next June, is expected to continue to play for the Mercury in the 2018 WNBA season.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
suemar

PostPosted: 01/12/18 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Setting the scene for a WNBA sit Question

PostPosted: 01/12/18 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Any news on little TT Cool Tayrasi, calling it now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: