RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2018 Team USA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Queenie

PostPosted: 12/14/17 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Plum has similar qualifications to Kara Wolters and Rebecca Lobo.

True. They are all Huskies.

(now with spelling variations)
myrtle

PostPosted: 12/15/17 12:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:

More players should do what Candice did and tell them where to shove it. Play for other countries until they purge these self serving morons.

I kinda agree. Let Callan play her tried and true players until they are 60...Birdie could go to 10 Olympics.

- Amanda Gorman
Richyyy

PostPosted: 12/15/17 2:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Although Candace didn't really tell them to shove anything until they'd already dumped her in the first place. It's players like Prince and Vandersloot who've jumped the other way when there was still the prospect of USA Basketball calling them in the future.

PostPosted: 12/15/17 2:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
It's players like Prince and Vandersloot who've jumped the other way when there was still the prospect of USA Basketball calling them in the future.

They must not have liked their chances, and I would agree with them - the idea of them displacing Whalen, Bird, Taurasi or Augustus was very slim. And there was the threat of Diggins and others leap-frogging them.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 12/15/17 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Really though, Diggins should be he next PG to join team USA.

They need more than one.

A Diggins-Smith, Durr combo could be really good down the line.

Forward looks locked up for a while with Moore/EDD/Stewie/Wilson all still being pretty young.

LMAO and the penny drops. You think they will want a guard who plays no defense, has to have the ball in their hand, now all your posts make sense to me.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/15/17 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USA Basketball’s committee isn’t going to add anyone to the pool who they have not seen at a USA National Team training camp. Chelsea was in the Finals and couldn’t participate in the Sept/Oct. training camp (emphasis added below to highlight certain aspects of her answer).

Carol Callan from yesterday:

While we know the players are excellent in either their WNBA play or their college play, our committee wants to see them in our environment and in our training camps and former competitions. So, we build this body of work with our athletes. So, the members that you see today on this list of 29 are players who were in the pool last quad, from 2013-16, who want to continue. As you know, Tamika Catchings has retired, but the other 11 Olympians are all interested in continuing on by being a part of this pool. The other thing is that if someone has never been involved with our national team program, then even if they were involved with a younger player on perhaps a U19 World Cup, or another junior program, we want to see them in our training camps and have the committee observe and evaluate what they can do with the other players who are in our pool. We pretty much want someone to attend a training camp before we move them into a pool. So, that then leads to the necessity to have as many training camps that we can within the parameters that we work. So, for instance, this past fall we had a training camp at the end of September, the first couple days of October, and it overlapped the WNBA Finals. So, clearly anybody who was involved in the WNBA Finals was not able to come to a training camp.

How important is the upcoming camp for the guard position and are there any other guards, such as Chelsea Gray, you see joining this list?

Obviously, if you look at the numbers, we’re guard-heavy in this group for the very reason that several years ago when we were talking about the roster for the Olympic team, it was noted that our guards were very veteran. So, yes. We want to have a younger mix coming in to look at. Chelsea’s (Gray) situation, she was not in the pool in the last four years, and in September she was playing with the Sparks in the WNBA Finals. So, that would be a situation I was describing earlier that our committee, before adding someone to the pool, they would like to observe them. I would anticipate that she will be involved in the future. She just was not available in September.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/15/17 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There should be “term limits” in USA Basketball National Team pool

http://womenshoopsworld.com/2017/12/14/there-should-be-term-limits-in-usa-basketball-national-team-pool/

Quote:
If Nneka Ogwumike, Diggins-Smith and Chiney Ogwumike make the cut for Tokyo, they will be first-time Olympians at ages 30, 29 and 28, respectively. Given the fact that Nneka is a former WNBA MVP, in particular, is especially shameful.

PostPosted: 12/15/17 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

But the pool creates the giant swamp of players that they invite to upcoming camps. They only invite anyone else if 20+ people pull out or are unavailable. 'You can't be in the pool of players we invite to camps until you've been to a camp' just seems ridiculous.

And if they want to 'observe' someone like Gray at any point in the next three years, doesn't that basically mean that they've moved them into the pool to take a look at them? The whole thing's idiotically circular.

PostPosted: 12/15/17 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
There should be “term limits” in USA Basketball National Team pool

http://womenshoopsworld.com/2017/12/14/there-should-be-term-limits-in-usa-basketball-national-team-pool/

Quote:
If Nneka Ogwumike, Diggins-Smith and Chiney Ogwumike make the cut for Tokyo, they will be first-time Olympians at ages 30, 29 and 28, respectively. Given the fact that Nneka is a former WNBA MVP, in particular, is especially shameful.

Sue is so 'right on' in this article. I don't nec. agree with her picks but It IS shameful. And today's system totally smacks of cronyism.

- Amanda Gorman
#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 12/15/17 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
toad455 wrote:

They need more than one.

Forward looks locked up for a while with Moore/EDD/Stewie/Wilson all still being pretty young.

LMAO and the penny drops. You think they will want a guard who plays no defense, has to have the ball in their hand, now all your posts make sense to me.

We can save the Insults, I think Durr is a decent size guard who can get hot from deep, who would you place in the future USA backcourt?
Randy

PostPosted: 12/15/17 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It won't change until they lose a gold medal in the Olympics. They will then probably decide it's time to get the best players, not the players they like the best. Until then it's going to be more like a sorority or private club, In the case of Chelsea Grey she probably is more of a victim on circumstance because her injuries impeded her progress and until she moved to LA, wasn't really showing that much. She wasn't even a regular starter for the Sun or Sparks until this season.

Now, if I were Chelsea and ticked off about it, I would see about becoming a citizen of fortune for Spain, Australia or whatever team she thinks has the best chance to get the Gold next time around. Enough players do that and perhaps the USA BBall will get worried enough to reform.

ClayK

PostPosted: 12/15/17 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The question, though, is whether or when the U.S. will lose an Olympic gold medal or World Championship. And though I agree Bird and Taurasi aren't what they were, it seems likely they are good enough to win in 2018.

PostPosted: 12/15/17 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
It won't change until they lose a gold medal in the Olympics. They will then probably decide it's time to get the best players, not the players they like the best. Until then it's going to be more like a sorority or private club. In the case of Chelsea Grey she probably is more of a victim on circumstance because her injuries impeded her progress and until she moved to LA, wasn't really showing that much. She wasn't even a regular starter for the Sun or Sparks until this season.

Now, if I were Chelsea and ticked off about it, I would see about becoming a citizen of fortune for Spain, Australia or whatever team she thinks has the best chance to get the Gold next time around. Enough players do that and perhaps the USA BBall will get worried enough to reform.

I have said something like this before in the past, and I'll say it again: USA Basketball and their selection committee is like a clique. If you're not part of that clique, or you didn't go to a certain select university, or if you're not a high-ranking WNBA draft pick, or if you don't kiss their butt...you might as well forget about being on the USA Team.

Last edited by StevenHW on 12/15/17 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
StevenHW

PostPosted: 12/15/17 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
The question, though, is whether or when the U.S. will lose an Olympic gold medal or World Championship. And though I agree Bird and Taurasi aren't what they were, it seems likely they are good enough to win in 2018.

The last time the U.S. Women's Team did not win a Gold Medal in the Olympics was in 1992. The last time they didn't win Gold in the FIBA World Championship was in 2006.

In the case of the '92 team, there was a big turnover of players afterwards.

PostPosted: 12/15/17 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

The last major change in selection procedure came after we lost both, in 1992 and 1994. That led to coaches having significantly reduced input into selections.

PostPosted: 12/15/17 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
But the pool creates the giant swamp of players that they invite to upcoming camps. They only invite anyone else if 20+ people pull out or are unavailable. 'You can't be in the pool of players we invite to camps until you've been to a camp' just seems ridiculous.

And if they want to 'observe' someone like Gray at any point in the next three years, doesn't that basically mean that they've moved them into the pool to take a look at them? The whole thing's idiotically circular.

It appears the "camps" don't have to be "pool only" players. In other words, all Gray has to do is be invited and make one of those camps to get added to the pool (and play well).

Richyyy

PostPosted: 12/15/17 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rather defeats the point of naming a pool if you're a) going to invite people to camps who aren't in the pool, and b) just going to add people to it occasionally anyway. And the one camp they have scheduled is something Gray should be able to attend, seeing as they've put it in the European qualifying window. So is the announcement for that going to say that it involves 21 players from the 2017-20 USA pool and this extra person who we've invited to fly in all the way from Turkey for the hell of it? Seems unlikely to me.

If they had any interest in Gray whatsoever it all would've made a hell of a lot more sense to just put her in the pool, and say she had a lot of work to do to force her way in if anyone asked.

PostPosted: 12/15/17 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Per Queenie's request moving the Parker griping to this thread Laughing

myrtle wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
Ladyvol777 wrote:
Thanks Geno for no Candace Parker

Geno was the ventriliquist that said "no thank you" when asked to camp this summer, which she ended up not being able to go to, but she said no.

After she got shat on, what did you expect her to do?

- Amanda Gorman
dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/16/17 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Per Queenie's request moving the Parker griping to this thread Laughing

myrtle wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
Ladyvol777 wrote:
Thanks Geno for no Candace Parker

Geno was the ventriliquist that said "no thank you" when asked to camp this summer, which she ended up not being able to go to, but she said no.

After she got shat on, what did you expect her to do?

Say screw you Geno, you're not here any more and I'm going to get another gold medal. Best way to get revenge.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 12/16/17 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
toad455 wrote:

They need more than one.

I love Gray but bottom line Sims is the better defender.

We can save the Insults, I think Durr is a decent size guard who can get hot from deep, who would you place in the future USA backcourt?

LMAO saving the insults coming from you LOL til the cows come home.

FYI i would put a guard who is unselfish, doesn't have to have the ball in her hands, actually does something to help her team when she doesn't have the ball in her hands like set screens and move, a guard who plays defense and not benched by her own college coach for a freshman who plays better defense than her.

Which is if you read the thread is why I thought Sims could be that guard as she can defend and has actually learned and improved over the last year in all those categories.

dtbtbtb

PostPosted: 12/16/17 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The perfect guard for team USA next generation would have been a healthy MoJeff. A real PG who can defend, sdistribute the ball and doesn't care about their own points

allenleavell

PostPosted: 12/17/17 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtbtbtb wrote:
The perfect guard for team USA next generation would have been a healthy MoJeff. A real PG who can defend, sdistribute the ball and doesn't care about their own points

Mo would love to do it but I wouldn't because they screwed over her in the past .

UK1996

PostPosted: 12/17/17 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtbtbtb wrote:

I agree that Team USA needs at least one pure point guard on the roster. There is enough firepower. That's why I wish they hadn't let Vandersloot go.

toad455

PostPosted: 12/17/17 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if all those vets retire before 2020 what the team will look like and what potential college players could make the team. Noticed Jefferson wasn't invited, too.

PG: Diggins/???
SG: Loyd/Hayes/K. Mitchell
SF: Moore/Delle Donne
PF: Stewart/N. Ogwumike/Wilson
C: Fowles/Griner

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
dtbtbtb

PostPosted: 12/17/17 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I wonder if all those vets retire before 2020 what the team will look like and what potential college players could make the team. Noticed Jefferson wasn't invited, too.

PG: Diggins/???
SG: Loyd/Hayes/K. Mitchell
SF: Moore/Delle Donne
PF: Stewart/N. Ogwumike/Wilson
C: Fowles/Griner

I would add MoJeff, replace Mitchell with McBride and replace Fowles with Charles and there you have a great team with all players under 30

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 10 of 23

Jump to: