RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2018 Team USA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toad455

PostPosted: 10/14/17 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
Out with several of the old and in with the new. Give some of the younger players the opportunity to play Dawn. USA will still win.

USA would win with their "B" team more than likely. Games would be closer, but no one else comes close to the talent team USA has.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
5thmantheme

PostPosted: 10/17/17 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<snip> for space
WNBA 09 wrote:
tfan wrote:

Next generation' starts now for USA Basketball

Caption That Face By Sue Bird Pleasseeeeee #NextGenMyA** Laughing

Staley : "Here's what just happened ..."
Mitchell : "What just happened? Oh that's what happened."
Bird : "Rookie? Please."

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/17/17 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
tfan wrote:
'Next generation' starts now for USA Basketball

Caption That Face By Sue Bird Pleasseeeeee #NextGenMyA** Laughing

"You're certainly no Geno, that's for sure."

pilight

PostPosted: 12/14/17 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2017-20 USA Basketball Women’s National Team Pool Unveiled

https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2017/12/wnt-pool-announced.aspx

Quote:
The 29 members of the 2017-20 USA National Team roster announced today include: Seimone Augustus (Minnesota Lynx); Sue Bird (Seattle Storm); Tina Charles (New York Liberty); Layshia Clarendon (Atlanta Dream); Napheesa Collier (Connecticut); Elena Delle Donne (Washington Mystics); Skylar Diggins-Smith (Dallas Wings); Stefanie Dolson (Chicago Sky); Asia Durr (Louisville); Sylvia Fowles (Minnesota Lynx); Brittney Griner (Phoenix Mercury); Tiffany Hayes (Atlanta Dream); Jantel Lavender (Los Angeles Sparks); Jewell Loyd (Seattle Storm); Kayla McBride (Las Vegas Aces); Angel McCoughtry (Atlanta Dream); Kelsey Mitchell (Ohio State); Maya Moore (Minnesota Lynx); Chiney Ogwumike (Connecticut Sun); Nneka Ogwumike (Los Angeles Sparks); Kelsey Plum (Las Vegas Aces); Katie Lou Samuelson (Connecticut); Odyssey Sims (Los Angeles Sparks); Breanna Stewart (Seattle Storm); Diana Taurasi (Phoenix Mercury); Morgan Tuck (Connecticut Sun); Lindsay Whalen (Minnesota Lynx); Courtney Williams (Connecticut Sun); and A’ja Wilson (South Carolina).

PostPosted: 12/14/17 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Comparing the list to the training camp roster from September, they've added McCoughtry and C.Ogwumike, and removed C.Gray, Stokes and Wiese. Surprised to see Gray gone unless there's an unknown reason for it (like she's taking up citizenship from a different country to play for them).

PostPosted: 12/14/17 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I find myself pulling for Uconn now in most games, but this will be a team of huskies once again, and I expect the Olden Girls Bird and DT to make it.
Shades

PostPosted: 12/14/17 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm a little surprised by the Chiney add and Gray removal, although I didn't have Gray making the final cut. I'm not surprised by the McCoughtry add, but her addition creates a complication in my projected roster from September.

Bird/Whalen
Taurasi/Augustus/Diggins
Moore/Delle Donne
Ogwumike/Stewart/Wilson
Fowles/Griner

I keep thinking Delle Donne will be the most likely of these players to have an excuse not to go to Worlds. That would work out great because McCoughtry can just slide in there behind Maya like she has in the past.

People will say it'd be easiest just to cut Wilson, but I just can't see that with a Staley-run club. Wilson is arguably a deserving player.

I don't have Charles included because I believe she didn't make it to the last training camp, so if she's still in the running that's an additional complication. Has Charles ever been that great with Team USA? The only thing that stands out to me with Charles is how she got owned by Cambage (in 2014?). I might have to check out the Team USA stats later.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 12/14/17 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Iluvacc

PostPosted: 12/14/17 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No Chelsea Gray, but Kelsey Plum? I see the politics of USA basketball is as ugly as ever.

Queenie

PostPosted: 12/14/17 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So we're all just assuming Parker's done with the national team?

And also, yes, miss me with this Plum bullshit, she's not even remotely close to ready.

(now with spelling variations)
toad455

PostPosted: 12/14/17 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
So we're all just assuming Parker's done with the national team?

And also, yes, miss me with this Plum bullshit, she's not even remotely close to ready.

Yes Parker is done. We still don't know why Gray is off the list. Personal choice? New member of team Andorra? Pregnant?

bcdawg04

PostPosted: 12/14/17 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Comparing the list to the training camp roster from September, they've added McCoughtry and C.Ogwumike, and removed C.Gray, Stokes and Wiese. Surprised to see Gray gone unless there's an unknown reason for it (like she's taking up citizenship from a different country to play for them).

Perhaps part of it is that she wasn't able to attend the training camp. Also, as far as I know, she has no history with the US youth teams.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 12/14/17 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gray's last game was barely a week ago in Turkey, so if it's pregnancy that'd likely be a pretty recent development. And while they could be waiting on the paperwork, if she was being naturalised you'd think the country would've wanted her for the recent round of Euro qualifiers. It's an odd one given that you'd think her recent WNBA performances would've put her on the fringe of actually making the squad.

It's pretty hard to argue that Plum and Clarendon should be ahead of her in the pecking order on merit.

PostPosted: 12/14/17 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Really though, Diggins should be he next PG to join team USA.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 12/14/17 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

They need more than one.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 12/14/17 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

This X_____ Team USA seems to never show sky any love.

PostPosted: 12/14/17 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Gray's last game was barely a week ago in Turkey, so if it's pregnancy that'd likely be a pretty recent development. And while they could be waiting on the paperwork, if she was being naturalised you'd think the country would've wanted her for the recent round of Euro qualifiers. It's an odd one given that you'd think her recent WNBA performances would've put her on the fringe of actually making the squad.

It's pretty hard to argue that Plum and Clarendon should be ahead of her in the pecking order on merit.

Hammon was mysteriously left off the pool and Parker didn't make the team in 2016. So a hit and miss approach by the committee wouldn't be the first time it's happened.

tfan

PostPosted: 12/14/17 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Plum has similar qualifications to Kara Wolters and Rebecca Lobo.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 12/14/17 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like Diggins too but for some reason I keep thinking they will go with Sims after this last W season as she became very unselfish in sharing the ball and knowing when to score under Agler. Plus she can be a defender they may need.

toad455

PostPosted: 12/14/17 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm really hoping at least Whalen steps down for 2018. Time to pass the torch already(to Diggins).

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/14/17 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

same OLD story.

- Amanda Gorman
#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 12/14/17 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
toad455 wrote:

They need more than one.

A Diggins-Smith, Durr combo could be really good down the line.

Forward looks locked up for a while with Moore/EDD/Stewie/Wilson all still being pretty young.
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 12/14/17 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mechelle Voepel @MechelleV

As for Sparks guard Chelsea Gray, USA Basketball's Carol Callan said she had not been to a national team training camp before, and of course she couldn't go to the one in Sept. during WNBA Finals. Sounded like there might be at least some chance for Gray someday to be added.

awhom111

PostPosted: 12/14/17 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's good to see them having a training camp during the European break, although coaching commitments obviously prevent them from say holding it in Europe and having exhibitions against Serbia and Latvia.

By the way, there are rumblings that there will be a new global calendar in effect after the 2020 Olympics, but details are still a secret at this point.
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 12/14/17 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

As for Sparks guard Chelsea Gray, USA Basketball's Carol Callan said she had not been to a national team training camp before, and of course she couldn't go to the one in Sept. during WNBA Finals. Sounded like there might be at least some chance for Gray someday to be added.

Omitting Chelsea is BIG. She and Sky are the PG's of the future. Her height on defense is HUGE. I don't know why she didn't play on a younger US team. She was one of the best players in her class coming out of high school.

~rAf
willtalk

PostPosted: 12/14/17 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Seems like a pretty lame catch 22 excuse. So you have to have attended a national camp to be invited to a national camp. Absurd reasoning. It also reeks of punitive punishment for ever having refused to attend a national camp if ever invited.

It's not like going being at a National training camp makes players who are playing at the highest level any better. Seems like a stretch rational to defend a clickish good ole Boy system. While it might be understandable for high school and college players who might not have faced stiff enough competition to be properly evaluated. but when you are playing against the best players in the world that shouldn't matter. I mean it is just a try out and that is what those camps should be- to try out. How do you justify not inviting a player because you have never tried them out before to a try out.

More players should do what Candice did and tell them where to shove it. Play for other countries until they purge these self serving morons.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 9 of 23

Jump to: