RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Oregon @ Mississippi St - 12/13/17
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win this game?
Oregon
55%
 55%  [ 5 ]
Mississippi St
44%
 44%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 9

sigur3

PostPosted: 12/13/17 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vic is so sharp. Vivians is looking amazing at the 4.

linkster

PostPosted: 12/13/17 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Satou Sabally a better pro prospect than Vivians?

tfan

PostPosted: 12/13/17 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mike Thibault's daughter, Carly Thibault-Dudonis is an assistant with Mississippi State. Mississippi State posts the email address of all their coaches. Or at least they post an email address, which the head coach may not want to check.

Last edited by tfan on 12/13/17 8:55 pm; edited 4 times in total
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 12/13/17 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

you stupid ducks! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: 12/13/17 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Miss St covers 10.5.

This why I quit betting sports for real. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by linkster on 12/13/17 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 12/13/17 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
Vic is so sharp. Vivians is looking amazing at the 4.

She does create some matchup problems at 4 but only of MCCowan is rebounding out of her mind.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/13/17 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Satou Sabally a better pro prospect than Vivians?

???

Sabally is a freshman not a senior like VV and GW, and she may be the best front court freshman I've seen so far this season.
Shades

PostPosted: 12/13/17 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

90-79 MSU final

The Beast of the Southeast 35 pts (15-18, 5-6 FT), 19 reb (12 off), 1 ast, 2 to, 1 stl, 5 blk
Vivian 30 pts (10-15, 5-8 3P, 5-6 FT), 4 reb, 2 ast, 2 to, 2 stl

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
mikeyc22

PostPosted: 12/13/17 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nothing to do with this game but how hasn’t Miss St played one road game this season? And looking at their schedule they only have one none conference one all season? Yikes.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 12/13/17 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

15/1/5 (6-16) vs MS ST
8/3/2 (3-12) vs LOU

for an avg of

11.5/2/3.5 (4.5-14)

vs Top 10 teams.

Triple-double machine indeed.

PostPosted: 12/14/17 12:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ah shucks. I was on the road all day and didn't get to see it. It's interesting that TMac and VV actually came to play as it doesn't seem that they both do that very often. Maybe it has to be against a top team.

- Amanda Gorman
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 12/14/17 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OR is pretty soft defensively, maybe we won't be the worst after all LOL.

willtalk

PostPosted: 12/14/17 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
ah shucks. I was on the road all day and didn't get to see it. It's interesting that TMac and VV actually came to play as it doesn't seem that they both do that very often. Maybe it has to be against a top team.

I think that the timing factor played a big part in this game. Both of them had good games on the same day. No one has good games all the time. Every player has games where they can not hit the broad side of the barn. Remember the good games Williams has against Baylor and Uconn in the NCAA's last season. Well that came to an end against SC in the championship game.

Basketball is about timing and match ups. Oregon caught Miss st on a day when both VV and McCowan had good shooting games. Miss st. is also a match up problem for them at this time. As the Miss st coach said they had not one who could stop their Mc Cowan. When you have an inside player of her caliber playing well along with a player lighting it up from outside you better be at your offensive best or you have no chance.

Graves probably should have tried his Giomi, 6'6" player, on Mc Cowan at least for a few minutes to see if she could have done a better job defensively. I don't think that either Hebart or McGwire can handle her. The 6'6" player though not a good offensive force might have been a better defensive match up with her. When you have three factors at play. Strength, Height and speed you need to at least have the advantage in one of them. McGwire does not have an advantage in any of the three. Hebard is quicker but gives up too much height and you do not want to get her in foul trouble. Giomi at least closer in height and is very quick. She at least could have fouled her alot and made her make free throws. Often fouling a player throws them off their game as well. McGuire and Hebard did not seem to want to get into foul trouble. Giomi because she covers more ground might have been the best choice defensively. She also always seems to put a body on someone when she is in the game. But Graves seems to be offensive oriented.

Shades

PostPosted: 12/14/17 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OR... it could be that Mississippi St is just better than Oregon. Might have to accept that for this season.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/14/17 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
OR... it could be that Mississippi St is just better than Oregon. Might have to accept that for this season.

I don't see any other reasonable conclusion based on this game. MSt seemed to have both a better offense and defense than O. Does Graves always play a lot of zone? It was ineffective in stopping both inside shots and three-point shots.

That said, O did better than UConn against MSt's defense in the Final Four last season, in terms of points scored, better FG%, better 3FG%, better FT% and more assists, so their offensive output was nothing to be ashamed of.
myrtle

PostPosted: 12/14/17 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

If MSU played at Oregon this year, I'm fairly certain you would be saying the opposite. Well they may well get a neutral floor matchup in the NCAA so 'we shall see'.

- Amanda Gorman
linkster

PostPosted: 12/14/17 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Shades wrote:

If MSU played at Oregon this year, I'm fairly certain you would be saying the opposite. Well they may well get a neutral floor matchup in the NCAA so 'we shall see'.

Agree. A 3000 mile trip can effect a team, expecially a young one like Oregon. As good as Miss St looked they are vulnerable. First, Vivians was a 29% 3 pt shooter last year. Maybe she improved her form but maybe she just had a great game. And as dominant as McCowan looked she is vulnerable to fouling. McCowan has great hands but slow feet. I saw a lot of OS players driving the lane with McCowan standing in the protected arc and instead of just driving into her and drawing the automatic blocking call they avoided contact and tried some circus shot that either missed wildly or got blocked.

UCLA over Baylor. Tenn over Texas. Miss St over Oregon. The common denominator is obvious. All the visiting teams played poorly. UCLA ate half a dozen cupcakes after beating Baylor and then loses AT Okl St. Both Miss St and Tenn have yet to play a worthy opponent on the road. I'll wait and see how Tenn plays at Maples and Purcell and how Miss St does at TBA before anointing or dismissing anyone.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 12/14/17 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh shoot, then I better eat my cupcakes before the game as I may be puking during it Embarassed I do think the PAC is not as strong but that also means we may have some competitive dog fights going against each other.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 12/14/17 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:

Fwiw, Massey gives Oregon a defensive ranking of 56 (vs. an offensive ranking of 14). I myself just think that-- regardless of talent level-- sometimes youngsters have defensive lapses, and Oregon is still quite young.

Sanford's defensive ranking is #3, btw (again, per Massey).

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/14/17 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

Agree. A 3000 mile trip can effect a team, expecially a young one like Oregon.

Actually, it's less than 2,000 miles, about a 4 hour flight, and two time zones. I really don't think travel in this instance is that big a deal or any excuse.

Maybe home court is, but from watching much of the game, I think the result would have been about the same wherever it was played.

willtalk

PostPosted: 12/15/17 1:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:

Agree. A 3000 mile trip can effect a team, expecially a young one like Oregon.

Actually, it's less than 2,000 miles, about a 4 hour flight, and two time zones. I really don't think travel in this instance is that big a deal or any excuse.

Maybe home court is, but from watching much of the game, I think the result would have been about the same wherever it was played.
When you are traveling to a smaller city or area it isn't just about flight time but also if the flights are direct and how much travel time on the road is involved. I am sure there are not direct flights between Eugene Oregon and Starkville Miss. I mean how close is the nearest airport and how many hours drive is it from there to Miss state?

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/15/17 1:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Going to Starkville Mississippi is like going to a foreign land! Laughing

- Amanda Gorman
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 12/15/17 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

Fwiw, Massey gives Oregon a defensive ranking of 56 (vs. an offensive ranking of 14). I myself just think that-- regardless of talent level-- sometimes youngsters have defensive lapses, and Oregon is still quite young.

Sanford's defensive ranking is #3, btw (again, per Massey).

A great example of why I never follow such stuff, just use the eye test Wink

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/15/17 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Shades wrote:

Agree. A 3000 mile trip can effect a team, expecially a young one like Oregon. As good as Miss St looked they are vulnerable. First, Vivians was a 29% 3 pt shooter last year. Maybe she improved her form but maybe she just had a great game. And as dominant as McCowan looked she is vulnerable to fouling. McCowan has great hands but slow feet. I saw a lot of OS players driving the lane with McCowan standing in the protected arc and instead of just driving into her and drawing the automatic blocking call they avoided contact and tried some circus shot that either missed wildly or got blocked.

UCLA over Baylor. Tenn over Texas. Miss St over Oregon. The common denominator is obvious. All the visiting teams played poorly. UCLA ate half a dozen cupcakes after beating Baylor and then loses AT Okl St. Both Miss St and Tenn have yet to play a worthy opponent on the road. I'll wait and see how Tenn plays at Maples and Purcell and how Miss St does at TBA before anointing or dismissing anyone.

McCowan is a pretty imposing presence, and I'm sure more so "on the level" as it were, than on camera angle! Yikes!

BTW, I've read that going west to east does not affect player performance as much as going east to west does. You get much more jet lag in the second case.

PostPosted: 12/16/17 2:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
BTW, I've read that going west to east does not affect player performance as much as going east to west does. You get much more jet lag in the second case.

I wouldn't think consequential effects would be as simple as east to west or west to east. Other variable probably play more of a factor. Things such as the time of the game.Later times would effect east to west more and conversely earlier times west to east. As I stated earlier travel time is not just about time spent in the air, but also lay over time, and the amount of time traveling on the road. A lot of schools do not only not only not close to air ports but the more rural the area the more likely their are not direct flights with sometimes odd times and multiple transfers and lay overs involved.

Sitting in a plane for a few hours is usually not the worst part of a trip.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: