RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The Official 2018 Coaches on the Hotseat thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howee

PostPosted: 12/04/17 11:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Objective, unbiased opinions offered in (Boldfaced parentheticals) Razz
Shmermerer1 wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
Fighting Artichoke wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
I think the heat is on in Norman.(Only in the summer)

Really? She seems like an institution. (She IS an Institution)

I agree. In the 10 seasons preceding Coale's hiring, the Sooners had gone to the NCAA Tournament exactly 1 time (a loss in the 2nd round of the tourney). By contrast, Coale has coached the Sooners to NCAA Tourney appearances in the last 18 consecutive seasons, 3 of which included Final Four runs.
I wouldn't understand the logic behind throwing that away. (Correct. They're definitely in a slump, but last year they were only behind FF contenders TX and Baylor in a tough conference. Just LAST Year! This would be a bit premature)

While I agree she isn't on the hot seat, I think she should be. I believe she's one of the highest paid WBB coaches in the country IIRC. The success she has had the past years you could get with a new coach with half the salary. Just saying. ("Success" isn't wiped out with one season's crappy first month, darlin'.)

Comes down to recruiting, at one time OU could get a few top 50th kids in one class, now getting a kid in the top 150 is a challenge.(No. Not true) Sherri only goes after a "specific" type of kid, and if that player isn't that, they're normally not a match for OU.(Where do you get this? Courtney Paris, Stacey Dales, Danielle Robinson, Maddie Manning, Whitney Hand, Nicole Griffin...."specific" in what way???)

Every year the past few years she has gotten at least one top 50 kid even a few in the top 20. Nancy Mulkey, Gabrielle Ortiz, and another one that transferred as well. She has plenty of talent compared to other programs in the top 25. I don't see it being a challenge for her. She has elite players coming in next year and I believe the following year as well. Bottom line is they underperform with the talent they have.

"Underperform" is such a tricky word, imo. Do Coale's Sooners "underperform" when compared to OU's historical standard prior to Coale's arrival? Not by the faintest stretch. Do Coale's Sooners "underperform" when compared to the theoretical W/L record one might expect from the players that she's recruited? Maybe or maybe not, I genuinely don't know. But if Coale's recruiting were to suddenly take a nosedive and the Sooners were to somehow post a similar record, would that mean that the Sooners have then "overperformed"?(Hark! A voice of reason....thanks, Pat!)

Compared to years prior to her, yes they are doing good. Except this year. I do think with the talent she has this year, they are underperforming. They lost to a bad little Rock team and a bad Florida team. She has several top 100 recruits on her roster. But from my previous statement, I believe she's one of the highest paid coaches. From that standpoint as an AD, I would expect much better results.(I think I can see why you're NOT an AD, LOL! Yeah, she's seen some bad losses this season. But I can promise you this: she most definitely WILL have them at/near the middle of the Big12 in 2 months. Your logic might apply to the likes of CViv or Sylvia Hatchell, but NOT Coale. Watch 'em, baby!Wink)

NEXXXXT! Laughing

PostPosted: 12/05/17 3:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Objective, unbiased opinions offered in (Boldfaced parentheticals) Razz
Shmermerer1 wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
Fighting Artichoke wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
I think the heat is on in Norman.(Only in the summer)

Really? She seems like an institution. (She IS an Institution)

I agree. In the 10 seasons preceding Coale's hiring, the Sooners had gone to the NCAA Tournament exactly 1 time (a loss in the 2nd round of the tourney). By contrast, Coale has coached the Sooners to NCAA Tourney appearances in the last 18 consecutive seasons, 3 of which included Final Four runs.
I wouldn't understand the logic behind throwing that away. (Correct. They're definitely in a slump, but last year they were only behind FF contenders TX and Baylor in a tough conference. Just LAST Year! This would be a bit premature)

While I agree she isn't on the hot seat, I think she should be. I believe she's one of the highest paid WBB coaches in the country IIRC. The success she has had the past years you could get with a new coach with half the salary. Just saying. ("Success" isn't wiped out with one season's crappy first month, darlin'.)

Comes down to recruiting, at one time OU could get a few top 50th kids in one class, now getting a kid in the top 150 is a challenge.(No. Not true) Sherri only goes after a "specific" type of kid, and if that player isn't that, they're normally not a match for OU.(Where do you get this? Courtney Paris, Stacey Dales, Danielle Robinson, Maddie Manning, Whitney Hand, Nicole Griffin...."specific" in what way???)

Every year the past few years she has gotten at least one top 50 kid even a few in the top 20. Nancy Mulkey, Gabrielle Ortiz, and another one that transferred as well. She has plenty of talent compared to other programs in the top 25. I don't see it being a challenge for her. She has elite players coming in next year and I believe the following year as well. Bottom line is they underperform with the talent they have.

"Underperform" is such a tricky word, imo. Do Coale's Sooners "underperform" when compared to OU's historical standard prior to Coale's arrival? Not by the faintest stretch. Do Coale's Sooners "underperform" when compared to the theoretical W/L record one might expect from the players that she's recruited? Maybe or maybe not, I genuinely don't know. But if Coale's recruiting were to suddenly take a nosedive and the Sooners were to somehow post a similar record, would that mean that the Sooners have then "overperformed"?(Hark! A voice of reason....thanks, Pat!)

Compared to years prior to her, yes they are doing good. Except this year. I do think with the talent she has this year, they are underperforming. They lost to a bad little Rock team and a bad Florida team. She has several top 100 recruits on her roster. But from my previous statement, I believe she's one of the highest paid coaches. From that standpoint as an AD, I would expect much better results.(I think I can see why you're NOT an AD, LOL! Yeah, she's seen some bad losses this season. But I can promise you this: she most definitely WILL have them at/near the middle of the Big12 in 2 months. Your logic might apply to the likes of CViv or Sylvia Hatchell, but NOT Coale. Watch 'em, baby!Wink)

NEXXXXT! Laughing

So I was referring to results based off her salary if you look at my comments. Again she’s one of the highest paid coaches in WCBB. Losing in the first or second round in the NCAAs and placing third in a mediocre Big 12 conference last year isn’t something to brag about. Again I don’t think she’s a bad coach at all, but I don’t think she’s worth what she’s getting paid. NEXT!

Howee

PostPosted: 12/05/17 7:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
Losing in the first or second round in the NCAAs and placing third in a mediocre Big 12 conference last year isn’t something to brag about. Again I don’t think she’s a bad coach at all, but I don’t think she’s worth what she’s getting paid. NEXT!

A. I don't remember ever hearing her (or me) brag about her record.
B. It IS plenty good enough to NOT be on the Hot Seat [See: Thread Title]

PostPosted: 12/05/17 10:32 am    ::: Re: The Official 2018 Coaches on the Hotseat thread Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
I haven't we this started yet and it's a year to the date where the 2017 thread started. Almost to the start of conference play.

Let's review last years fsvorites.

Tennessee Holly Warlick

Rutgers C Vic Stringer

Virginia.JoAnne Boyle

Clemson Audra Smith

So Cal. Cynthia Duke-Cooper (who did not retain her position).

I doubt this year's team is going to play poorly enough to get Holly Warlick fired, unless the revolving door on the AD's office there eventually installs someone determined to do it.

allenleavell

PostPosted: 12/05/17 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
Losing in the first or second round in the NCAAs and placing third in a mediocre Big 12 conference last year isn’t something to brag about. Again I don’t think she’s a bad coach at all, but I don’t think she’s worth what she’s getting paid. NEXT!

She has only one top 100 player on the roster Anna Illausa. Everybody is just somebody she liked.

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 12/05/17 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ortiz is about 5'6 and has not improved at all during her time in Norman, she was #14 on Hoopgurlz, but PN had her in the 50ths or 60ths coming out of high school, not an elite player. Mulkey even tho 6'9 was a D1 project, not sure why she was ranked so high coming out of high school, maybe because she did win gold one summer with USAB? if you look at her high school scoring and rebounding numbers, you would ask yourself WTF.

about the "specific" type of player, Sherri normally goes for girls with a christian background, I've also heard she use to have a mandatory bible study.
pilight

PostPosted: 12/05/17 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:

Oklahoma doesn't care that much. As long as she runs a clean program and finishes in the top half of the B12 most of the time she can stay forever.

PostPosted: 12/05/17 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BallState1984 wrote:
Dare I say it now... Versyp?

Morgan Burke gave her a big extension on his way out the door (why he was allowed to do this, I will never understand), so it would be an expensive buy-out.

Howee

PostPosted: 12/05/17 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ortiz is about 5'6 and has not improved at all during her time in Norman, she was #14 on Hoopgurlz, but PN had her in the 50ths or 60ths coming out of high school, not an elite player.

DEFINITELY true. NOT up to hype.

allenleavell wrote:
She has only one top 100 player on the roster Anna Illausa. Everybody is just somebody she liked.

....and, what?? Can't play at all? The freshmen have been pretty decent, imo. If she likes Christians, well....God bless 'em. There are worse things.

Yep, the above may ring true, but....BUT: this thread is about Hot Seats and coaches who aren't coaching well, not recruiting (and I agree, her recruiting has fallen off since the Paris years). I don't believe Coale is really feeling any warmth in her tuckus.

pilight wrote:
Oklahoma doesn't care that much. As long as she runs a clean program and finishes in the top half of the B12 most of the time she can stay forever.

Ya, they DO care....she's actually MADE them 'care' more than they usta. But no, not UConn/TN/SC 'care'. She's safe. Cool

NEXXXT.
Laughing

PostPosted: 12/05/17 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Ortiz is about 5'6 and has not improved at all during her time in Norman, she was #14 on Hoopgurlz, but PN had her in the 50ths or 60ths coming out of high school, not an elite player.

DEFINITELY true. NOT up to hype.

allenleavell wrote:

....and, what?? Can't play at all? The freshmen have been pretty decent, imo. If she likes Christians, well....God bless 'em. There are worse things.

Yep, the above may ring true, but....BUT: this thread is about Hot Seats and coaches who aren't coaching well, not recruiting (and I agree, her recruiting has fallen off since the Paris years). I don't believe Coale is really feeling any warmth in her tuckus.

pilight wrote:

Ya, they DO care....she's actually MADE them 'care' more than they usta. But no, not UConn/TN/SC 'care'. She's safe. Cool

NEXXXT.
Laughing

Just to clarify I did say that I don’t think she’s in the hot seat, but I did say if I were an AD I would consider the fact that she gets paid at the top of WCBB and that they could probably pay a coach for a lot less and achieve just as good of results. Again JMO. Also, recruiting is apart of being a great coach. DePaul has a difficult time in recruiting as well, but we achieve solid results with less talent and I lm pretty sure Doug doesn’t get paid as well as Sherri.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 12/12/17 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In Boyle's first six seasons at Virginia (i.e., the six seasons before the current one), her overall record is 110–85 (.564). Her ACC record is 43–55 (.439). The only time her teams finished above .500 in conference play was during her first season, when UVA went 9-7, finished 6th in the ACC, and made the WNIT quarterfinals.

Boyle, as written in her contract, got automatic one-year extensions on April 11, 2012, and April 11, 2013. That puts her under contract with UVa through the 2017-18 season (Link: http://www.dailyprogress.com/cavalierinsider/boyle-will-return-as-uva-women-s-basketball-coach/article_cca2d24e-e011-11e5-86cd-8b0b684c9aee.html).

Virginia, with a record of 4-6, is currently 83rd in the Sagarin rankings. While the Cavaliers have played the 24th toughest schedule, the team is 0-3 against the Sagarin Top 25 and 0-4 against the Sagarin Top 50. In the RealTime RPI rankings, Virginia is 155th; in the NCAA RPI ratings, Virginia is 152nd.

In other words, if Virginia does not make the NCAA Tournament or finish in the top half of the ACC, the Cavaliers AD will have the ability to go in a different direction for the once-storied program.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 12/12/17 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:

Sherri Coale's teams have finished 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in the Big 12 for 10 out of the last 12 seasons. The one year the team did not finish in the Top 3? 2013-2014 (5th) and 2015-2016 (4th). In the last 12 years, she made the Sweet 16 six times, with two Final Four appearances.

Now, her last three teams have lost in the NCAA Second Round. But is that enough to put her on the "hot seat?"

For comparison, Joanne P. McCallie has been at Duke for 10 years (this is her 11th season). She made the Elite Eight four times and the Sweet 16 six times. But she has zero Final Four appearances, has lost in the NCAA Second Round three times (twice at home), and missed the NCAA Tournament entirely in one season. Coach P's teams have finished in the top 3 of the ACC in 8 of those ten years (with finishes of 4th and 7th in the other two years).

McCallie is on the hot seat in the minds of many Duke fans because she has not lived up to the performance of her predecessor or relative to the talent recruited (# McDAAs, etc.). But she is not on the hot seat because her teams have averaged 27 wins per year, and, on paper, it is a fine resume while at Duke.

For similar reasons, Coale should not be anywhere near the hot seat.

EDITED TO ADD: In 2016, Sherri Coale was extended through 2021; her yearly salary remained at a guaranteed $1.1 million per year. Joanne P. McCallie also had her contract extended through 2021.

Last edited by CamrnCrz1974 on 12/12/17 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ladyvol777

PostPosted: 12/12/17 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
I think the heat is on in Norman.

Tennessee Holly Warlick is off the hot seat now....

Queenie

PostPosted: 12/12/17 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ortiz is about 5'6 and has not improved at all during her time in Norman, she was #14 on Hoopgurlz, but PN had her in the 50ths or 60ths coming out of high school, not an elite player. Mulkey even tho 6'9 was a D1 project, not sure why she was ranked so high coming out of high school, maybe because she did win gold one summer with USAB? if you look at her high school scoring and rebounding numbers, you would ask yourself WTF.

about the "specific" type of player, Sherri normally goes for girls with a christian background, I've also heard she use to have a mandatory bible study.

Mandatory Bible study... at a public institution?

Could I get a link on that? That does not seem kosher.

(now with spelling variations)
Shades

PostPosted: 12/12/17 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ladyvol777 wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
I think the heat is on in Norman.

Tennessee Holly Warlick is off the hot seat now....

But she's been on a scorching hot seat for a few years now. If she's now off the hot seat, it's kinda like saying no coach should ever be on the hot seat because you never know when things might click down the line.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 12/29/17 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unfortunately, there is another person that finds himself on the hot seat, though he may not get fired after this year, just let go after 2018-19 when his contract runs out. That person is Erik Johnson at Boston College. He is in his 6th season with the Eagles and here are the records for the previous 5 years:

2012-13 - 12-19, 5-13
2013-14 - 12-19, 3-13
2014-15 - 13-17, 5-11
2015-16 - 15-16, 2-14
2016-17 - 9-21, 2-14
Overall - 61-92, 17-65

This year, his team is currently 5-8 which brings his career record at BC to 66-100. The 8 losses are to Dartmouth, Minnesota, Boston University, Columbia, Fairfield, Seton Hall, Providence and Maine. At an ACC/Power 5 school, you should not be losing to fellow New England programs (not named Connecticut of course), especially 5 of them in the same year. Gone are the days of Cathy Inglese and the Big East...once those 2 things were gone, the program has gone downhill big time. On the positive side, he was extended a couple of years ago so that his contract runs through the 2018-19 season and I doubt anyone on that campus really cares to buy him out.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 12/29/17 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How about Mr. Mitchell down in Lexington ? Alot of transfers and a lack of talent on this year's team not looking like the Kentucky im use too . Although he built those teams too something needs to change .

PostPosted: 12/29/17 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
How about Mr. Mitchell down in Lexington ? Alot of transfers and a lack of talent on this year's team not looking like the Kentucky im use too . Although he built those teams too something needs to change .

Fingers are crossed but the AD probably won’t do a darn thing. Rolling Eyes

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 12/29/17 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

~UK~ wrote:
Fingers are crossed but the AD probably won’t do a darn thing. Rolling Eyes

That is a perception that is shared at a bunch of schools across the country...and probably not just about women's basketball coaches lol.

Howee

PostPosted: 12/29/17 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

You'll note the operative word emboldened. "Hearing" of something and actual reality are often 2 very different things. Laughing

PostPosted: 12/29/17 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Queenie wrote:

You'll note the operative word emboldened. "Hearing" of something and actual reality are often 2 very different things. Laughing

That's why I asked for corroboration. It's not something I'd like to believe of Coale.

(now with spelling variations)
Youth Coach

PostPosted: 12/29/17 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Unfortunately, there is another person that finds himself on the hot seat, though he may not get fired after this year, just let go after 2018-19 when his contract runs out. That person is Erik Johnson at Boston College. He is in his 6th season with the Eagles and here are the records for the previous 5 years:

2012-13 - 12-19, 5-13
2013-14 - 12-19, 3-13
2014-15 - 13-17, 5-11
2015-16 - 15-16, 2-14
2016-17 - 9-21, 2-14
Overall - 61-92, 17-65

This year, his team is currently 5-8 which brings his career record at BC to 66-100. The 8 losses are to Dartmouth, Minnesota, Boston University, Columbia, Fairfield, Seton Hall, Providence and Maine. At an ACC/Power 5 school, you should not be losing to fellow New England programs (not named Connecticut of course), especially 5 of them in the same year. Gone are the days of Cathy Inglese and the Big East...once those 2 things were gone, the program has gone downhill big time. On the positive side, he was extended a couple of years ago so that his contract runs through the 2018-19 season and I doubt anyone on that campus really cares to buy him out.

The talent level has seemed to really drop off at BC lately from what I've observed from afar as of late. This year's losses have been extremely disappointing to say the least.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/30/17 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

2012-13 - 12-19, 5-13
2013-14 - 12-19, 3-13
2014-15 - 13-17, 5-11
2015-16 - 15-16, 2-14
2016-17 - 9-21, 2-14
Overall - 61-92, 17-65

The talent level has seemed to really drop off at BC lately from what I've observed from afar as of late. This year's losses have been extremely disappointing to say the least.

Maybe they should get out of the ACC and join the CAA. Sound like they're fast becoming a mid-major Wink No shame in that!

PostPosted: 12/30/17 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Howee wrote:
Queenie wrote:

That's why I asked for corroboration. It's not something I'd like to believe of Coale.

You need some Bible study yourself Q. Maybe you could learn something...

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 12/30/17 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Youth Coach wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

2012-13 - 12-19, 5-13
2013-14 - 12-19, 3-13
2014-15 - 13-17, 5-11
2015-16 - 15-16, 2-14
2016-17 - 9-21, 2-14
Overall - 61-92, 17-65

Maybe they should get out of the ACC and join the CAA. Sound like they're fast becoming a mid-major Wink No shame in that!

Solely from a hypothetical WBB point of view, the current Big East might be a good fit. Vs a new coach, of course. Or both.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: