RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The Winless
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
calbearman76

PostPosted: 12/11/17 1:44 am    ::: The Winless Reply Reply with quote

While there are 12 teams that haven't lost yet there are only 7 teams that haven't yet recorded a win. (There are an additional 14 teams that haven't beaten a Division 1 school but have beaten a lower division school.) The Unlucky 7 are:

Air Force (0-9) Beats Utah St 57-50 (1/24/18)
Central Connecticut (0-9)Beats Wagner 59-56 (12/31)
Chicago St (0-10) Beats Utah Valley 84-74 (2/8/18)
Detroit Mercy (0-9)Beats UIC 61-58 (1/13/18)
Iona (0-8)Beats St Peter's 52-42 (1/28/18)
Mississippi Valley St (0-6) Beat Jackson St 72-61 (1/27/18)
NJIT (0-10)Beats St Joseph's NY 106-42 (12/11)

There is a good chance the list will drop to 6 tomorrow when NJIT takes on St Joseph's of New York. Iona and Detroit Mercy have played very difficult schedules but should each be able to get a few wins in their conference.

All teams have at least one win.

Last edited by calbearman76 on 02/08/18 6:22 pm; edited 7 times in total
summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/11/17 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chicago State is a special case. It is a team that is perpetually on the verge of dissolving; most of its players are hardship cases, and they barely have enough players to make up a team most of the time. The coach is truly dedicated, and is half coach, half mom, counselor, tutor, and a whole lot of other things. The program is constantly in danger of being dropped or downgraded to DII or DIII, and the school could even be taken over, but the coach struggles on....she's amazing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/08/sports/as-chicago-state-struggles-on-court-perception-is-biggest-foe.html

PostPosted: 12/11/17 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Chicago State is a special case. It is a team that is perpetually on the verge of dissolving; most of its players are hardship cases, and they barely have enough players to make up a team most of the time. The coach is truly dedicated, and is half coach, half mom, counselor, tutor, and a whole lot of other things. The program is constantly in danger of being dropped or downgraded to DII or DIII, and the school could even be taken over, but the coach struggles on....she's amazing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/08/sports/as-chicago-state-struggles-on-court-perception-is-biggest-foe.html

Nice article. One of the reasons I highlight these teams is because they do play on, they keep trying and they keep competing. It is easy to put in the time when you are fighting for a championship, but you have to be truly dedicated when you go out every game and try even when your chance of success is low. I admire them and root for them. And this article puts that in perspective.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/11/17 2:46 pm    ::: Re: The Winless Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
The Unlucky 7 are:

Air Force (0-9)
Central Connecticut (0-9)
Chicago St (0-10)
Detroit Mercy (0-9)
Iona (0-8)
Mississippi Valley St (0-6)
NJIT (0-10)

How many of these are currently overrated?
allenleavell

PostPosted: 12/11/17 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

We have a kid there now. She says it a lot to deal with...

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/11/17 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

allenleavell wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

We have a kid there now. She says it a lot to deal with...

It sounded like it. Hope your kid is strong and tough...this could make her more so.

PostPosted: 12/11/17 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

Chicago State were 24-11 during the 2010-11 season. Then they went completely on a downward spiral after that. What happened to this program?

http://www.gocsucougars.com/sports/2013/11/26/WBB_1126130546.aspx?path=wbball

PostPosted: 12/11/17 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NJIT wins 106-42 over St Joseph's of New York

mzonefan

PostPosted: 12/11/17 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Chicago State were 24-11 during the 2010-11 season. Then they went completely on a downward spiral after that. What happened to this program?

http://www.gocsucougars.com/sports/2013/11/26/WBB_1126130546.aspx?path=wbball

The article is pretty clear - lack of funding, school nearly being shut down....

calbearman76

PostPosted: 12/15/17 11:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chicago St put up a valiant effort tonight but fell just short losing 66-63 to Wichita St. Tyeshia Bowers scored 28 for the Cougars who led late in the third quarter and closed to within 1 with less than three minutes to play.

Chicago St will play Oral Roberts, who lost by 24 today to Alcorn St, tomorrow to try to break their 47 game losing streak.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 12/16/17 8:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
Chicago St put up a valiant effort tonight but fell just short losing 66-63 to Wichita St. Tyeshia Bowers scored 28 for the Cougars who led late in the third quarter and closed to within 1 with less than three minutes to play.

Chicago St will play Oral Roberts, who lost by 24 today to Alcorn St, tomorrow to try to break their 47 game losing streak.

Wichita almost losing to ChiSt is saying something about Wichita who I thought were going to be much better after scandal subsided and the new staff took over.

Iona being 0-9 is a bit flukey...There are some BAD losses in there (Jacksonville, Stony brook although SB does have a bit of a student following and a nice arena so that isn't an easy place to play) But they were very competitive vs Temple (albeit in a game that would make even us Hardcore fans wanna puke...they opened the game on the proverbial 10-2 run...that ended with 8 to go...in the SECOND Quarter) and the biggest Blowout was to Fordham who may be poised to win the a-10 with Dayton, Dukes and SLU All down and has a legit prospect in G'Marice Davis and bosts wins over Pitt and STJ (And choked one at PSU that would've put them more on the map)

And well this comment will be only good for 7 more hours...SFBK is terrible in the 3rd lowest conference (Behind only the 2 HBCU Conferences) so I'd expect a win here for the Gaels. They are NOT as bad as their record...I still have them 500 in the Maac...haven't had things go their way...and mind you I'm STILL pissed at their coach for disrespecting the core of that team that won the title 2 years ago and Still think Billi could be on the HOT SEAT sooner than later...Attendance down and boosters were fed up WHEN she was winning titles with Bozzella's kids...Now...and with Talent in Junions Lewis and Clay (But ran off bench leader and Senior to be Philicia Atkins Gilmore) Yeah...I'm snickering a bit...but It is a fluke...not just a product of suicide scheduling...they're playing the best in the Area (Loss to a way better than you think Columbia squad Aside Hofstra is also trending way up) and losing to teams you will at least see in the NIT this year.

That said...Not a People Person is a good euphamism...dont wanna disrupt another of my teams so ill go cryptic and said time to Halt, Catch Fired and call in the Blonde Squad for next year Smile

PostPosted: 12/16/17 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

Wichita almost losing to ChiSt is saying something about Wichita who I thought were going to be much better after scandal subsided and the new staff took over.

Iona being 0-9 is a bit flukey...There are some BAD losses in there (Jacksonville, Stony brook although SB does have a bit of a student following and a nice arena so that isn't an easy place to play) But they were very competitive vs Temple (albeit in a game that would make even us Hardcore fans wanna puke...they opened the game on the proverbial 10-2 run...that ended with 8 to go...in the SECOND Quarter) and the biggest Blowout was to Fordham who may be poised to win the a-10 with Dayton, Dukes and SLU All down and has a legit prospect in G'Marice Davis and bosts wins over Pitt and STJ (And choked one at PSU that would've put them more on the map)

And well this comment will be only good for 7 more hours...SFBK is terrible in the 3rd lowest conference (Behind only the 2 HBCU Conferences) so I'd expect a win here for the Gaels. They are NOT as bad as their record...I still have them 500 in the Maac...haven't had things go their way...and mind you I'm STILL pissed at their coach for disrespecting the core of that team that won the title 2 years ago and Still think Billi could be on the HOT SEAT sooner than later...Attendance down and boosters were fed up WHEN she was winning titles with Bozzella's kids...Now...and with Talent in Junions Lewis and Clay (But ran off bench leader and Senior to be Philicia Atkins Gilmore) Yeah...I'm snickering a bit...but It is a fluke...not just a product of suicide scheduling...they're playing the best in the Area (Loss to a way better than you think Columbia squad Aside Hofstra is also trending way up) and losing to teams you will at least see in the NIT this year.

That said...Not a People Person is a good euphamism...dont wanna disrupt another of my teams so ill go cryptic and said time to Halt, Catch Fired and call in the Blonde Squad for next year :)

I have a real fondness for Iona going back 40 years to when I lived in New York. (The school, I don't know if they even had a women's bball team) I have been shocked by their record this season. Thanks for the rundown. Hopefully the Gaels get off the schneid today

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 12/16/17 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I cant really call her a WWOCK (Win with old coach's kids) because clay and lewis are both her recruits and are for real and Tori Lesko is a good defender who has upside. but Godsey Chambers is really off the rails...everyone's entitled to a bad year Yes But they lost by 9 trailing most of the way to a bad SFBK squad...again they'll get a win or 2 to in the Maac...but this was not supposed to be a rebuild...2 good juniors as freshmen these 2 were key cogs in making the NCAA tourney for the first time in program history...and were strong even without Joy Adams

somethings amiss...and this is the 2nd time it happened (SOMEHOW with Damika Martinez and Joy Adams they had a 500 year in her 2nd season) and this is an issue to me...I've given Godsey every benefit of the doubt...went to College park to see her over Following SHU the shorter distance to Storrs namely because One Shining Moment...

But I did NOT agree with reissuing 24 and 14...the class (Bozzella's last 2) that took the MAAC Record Book and threw it in the wood chipper and were breaking school MENS Records! (and turned the Fantasy game on it's head lol) and she tossed the numbers to a player who hasn't gotten off the bench and an ineligible transfer...then she ran off Phee Atkins Gilmore, and now the team is officially circling the porcelain throne...YEAH...I don't know now...I retract my last statement about being better than their record...Disfunction Junction....whats your function...DAMN SHAME!!!!!

they'll at least get 1 from some of the MAAC Bottom feeders like St Peters (aka Paaaaatttyyyy) and Niagara...but this is hard to watch...cuz clay has talent...lewis has talent...Lesko can play...the freshmen she starts seem to have upside and do score...but god...missing a lot...and that goes BEHIND the bench...not on it...sorry for slight sidetrack but yeah...I'm Pissed now...and that's WITHOUT airing dirty laundry believe it or now!

PostPosted: 12/17/17 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Detroit was really close to a win today, but Eastern Michigan broke a 17-game road winless streak instead, 78-76.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 12/17/17 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
Detroit was really close to a win today, but Eastern Michigan broke a 17-game road winless streak instead, 78-76.

Maybe closer than you know. Detroit was up 13 with 3:26 to go before EMU ended the game on a 15-0 run.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 12/19/17 5:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

Maybe closer than you know. Detroit was up 13 with 3:26 to go before EMU ended the game on a 15-0 run.

I do know. I was watching it on TV. We had a Michigan grad on the floor for EMU and a Michigan grad coaching for UDM. Wink

calbearman76

PostPosted: 12/31/17 12:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm really starting to wonder about Iona. Today they had a 46-29 lead at halftime against Niagara, only to get out scored 44-13 in the second half. If they don't beat Canisius on Tuesday I don't know if they ever will.

Queenie

PostPosted: 12/31/17 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
I'm really starting to wonder about Iona. Today they had a 46-29 lead at halftime against Niagara, only to get out scored 44-13 in the second half. If they don't beat Canisius on Tuesday I don't know if they ever will.

With inspired coaching decisions like having your best scorer come off the bench in favor of a wet-behind-the-ears freshman, or running off your senior leader and tournament hero, how can you not have faith in Iona?

(now with spelling variations)
calbearman76

PostPosted: 01/01/18 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

With inspired coaching decisions like having your best scorer come off the bench in favor of a wet-behind-the-ears freshman, or running off your senior leader and tournament hero, how can you not have faith in Iona?

I am still watching and rooting, if only from 2500 mile away.

Meanwhile today Mississippi Valley St has perhaps its best chance to notch a win at home against Arkansas Pine Bluff. Pine Bluff scheduled 2 non D1 schools and beat one of them to be excluded from this thread.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 01/08/18 2:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

On New Year's Eve I missed the Central Connecticut win over Wagner. The Blue Devils got their first win 59-56 thanks to 9-15 shooting from beyond the arc. Junior Andi Lydon led the team with 16 points, including 4-5 on 3pt shots, and senior Brianna Jacobs added 14 points off the bench. That was enough to overcome a 21 point, 16 rebound and 6 block effort by Wagner's Sierra Clark.

There are now 5 winless teams left.

Queenie

PostPosted: 01/08/18 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At this point I'm almost hoping Iona drops the table. If you're gonna suck, suck hard. Maybe that'll get Chambers fired. She looks like she's run out of fucks to give. Dead red serious, your main source of positive energy should not be the senior who dropped off the roster at the start of the season and is now coming to games as a spectator.

(now with spelling variations)
dinkytown

PostPosted: 01/12/18 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chicago State led Seattle going into the 4th 48-35 but then got outscored 28-8 in the 4th to lose 63-56 and fall to 0-17. Crying or Very sad

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/12/18 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dinkytown wrote:
Chicago State led Seattle going into the 4th 48-35 but then got outscored 28-8 in the 4th to lose 63-56 and fall to 0-17. Crying or Very sad

Awwww. I really want Chi State to win one. That is SUCH a hard-luck program, and the coach is something else. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: 01/14/18 1:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was a big day for the winless. All four teams had a reasonable shot to capture their first win, First up, Iona faced Monmouth ant took a 4 point lead into the fourth quarter. Once again the lead did not hold up and they lost 62-56.

Mississippi Valley State was tied with Alcorn St at the half, but a bad third quarter led to a 76-70 loss. Air Force hosted San Jose St and played a back and forth affair that saw 11 lead changes. Unfortunately that was one too few as the Spartans eked out a 75-74 victory.

The last winless team was Detroit, but Mercy, Mercy Me, it was Victory. The Titans started fast and ran out to a 16 point lead early in the second quarter. From that point it was a race between the clock and the scoreboard to see if the Titans could keep the lead through the 40 minutes. UIC closed to within 1 with 1:27 to go, but they couldn't get over the hump due to a 3-pointer by Anya Marinkovic with 27 seconds left. Detroit Mercy 61 UIC 58

Brianne Cohen led the Titans with 13 points and Nicole Urbanick, Brittney Jackson and Lexey Tobel each contributed 10.

So there are now 3 winless teams, just as there are 3 undefeated teams.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 01/14/18 9:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

So there are now 3 winless teams, just as there are 3 undefeated teams.

I think it’s still 4 since it doesn’t appear that Chicago State has won yet.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: