RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

California @ Pacific - 12/10/17

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 12/10/17 5:30 pm    ::: California @ Pacific - 12/10/17 Reply Reply with quote

Stockton, CA - 5:00 PM ET

Video:
http://www.wccsports.com/gamecenter/w-baskbl/gc-121017-paci.html (free)

Audio:
https://www.iheart.com/live/alt-933-6587/?autoplay=true&pname=15400&campid=header&cid=index.html (free)

Live stats:
http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=186561

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 12/10/17 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
myrtle

PostPosted: 12/10/17 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Other than the 11% from three, Cal is taking care of business.

- Amanda Gorman
calbearman76

PostPosted: 12/10/17 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cal let Pacific get back in so they only won 92-85.

Congrats to Kristine Anigwe for a double-double, 28 points 18 rebounds

And super congrats to LeAnne Luaulu- Summers for Pacific for a triple-double,
18 points, 10 rebounds, 10 assists.

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/10/17 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just wish someone from Cal would learn to shoot the three...or that she would recruit someone who could shoot the three. So long as that isn't taken care of, no matter how much athleticism is there, Cal will remain mediocre. [sorry bearman - I can't really talk much this year myself since my team is mediocre too.]

- Amanda Gorman
willtalk

PostPosted: 12/11/17 4:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I just wish someone from Cal would learn to shoot the three...or that she would recruit someone who could shoot the three. So long as that isn't taken care of, no matter how much athleticism is there, Cal will remain mediocre. [sorry bearman - I can't really talk much this year myself since my team is mediocre too.]

Or is it a matter of which came first the chicken or the egg? Cal has had this problem for quite some time. I remember way in the past where good three point shooters came to Cal and just disappeared. You can be a decent 3pt shooter but if you are not schemed into the offense you will struggle. The problem I have seen with Cal is that they use the 3pt shot as the last resort. Either when nothing else opens up or time is running out. Desperation shots tend to be low percentage.

It was Joanne Boyle who set this whole Chicken/Egg thing in motion. She focused on athletes instead of players who knew the game. Instead she filled her point position with shoot first players to whom passing was a second thought. The new coach appeared to have a different attitude but initially was saddled with Boyle's choices at point. But then she sets up an offense geared around getting their post the ball. Shooters will not consider a team which will not get them the ball.

Cal went through a process of having points and playmakers who always saw passing as the second option, to consequentially not having shooters to pass to and back to running an offense that again made 3 point shooting secondary. Sort of having an offense that ignored out side shooters, to not having ourside shooters to then back again to ignoring them.

Shooting is all about rhythm. Rhythm comes from establishing an offensive flow via passing the ball and getting everyone involved in the offense. Now there are players who like to create their own shots and operate well in chaos.. Those are the players that you give the ball to when the shot clock runs out or at the end of games, but you do not make these players you primary ball handlers because they will freeze everyone out. You do not make those players you point guard. What is worse is making that type of player your image for a point guard. This was what Boyle did. Gottlieb does not have that perspective but she still is product off the Boyle coaching tree. She initially inherited Boyle's players but I don't think she either totally understands the importance of balance or how to on how go establish it within her system. Players do not always make good coaches.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 12/11/17 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

Just to be clear Cal has been shooting the three much better this season. Going into yesterday they were up over 39%, and even after yesterday's 1-14 performance they are still at 36.7% for the year. Asha Thomas is hitting 41%. I agree that Cal needs to have a more consistent outside presence to keep defenses from sagging on Anigwe, but I think they are showing a little bit of that this season.. Time will tell

And I really don't think that Stanford is going to be mediocre with McPhee.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: