RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Al Franken
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stonington_QB

PostPosted: 12/08/17 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:
Franken said that he is "going to" resign. That means it may not happen until sometime next year, if at all.

It means he is going through the process and getting things in order, while giving Dayton time to pick his replacement and have her ready to go.

Once everything is ready to go he will officially stand down. This is not abnormal.

If that's what you're willing to believe then why not

Howee

PostPosted: 12/08/17 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
Franken said that he is "going to" resign. That means it may not happen until sometime next year, if at all.

Which, of course, is FAR more egregious than, say, a known child molester who is STILL RUNNING FOR OFFICE, so he can say he is "going to" resign later. [See: Moore]

PostPosted: 12/08/17 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

Which, of course, is FAR more egregious than, say, a known child molester who is STILL RUNNING FOR OFFICE, so he can say he is "going to" resign later. [See: Moore]

Really? A child molester? According to who? Vox? Newsweek? Al Jazeera? I must have missed it when they brought forward this evidence that anything of the sort ever happened. Except for said "news" outfits listed above making this claim, I'm still trying to find where there was a shred of proof of that. What I DID find, however, was a picture of Al Franken grabbing an unconscious women by her tits with a big smile on his face.

justintyme

PostPosted: 12/08/17 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

It means he is going through the process and getting things in order, while giving Dayton time to pick his replacement and have her ready to go.

Once everything is ready to go he will officially stand down. This is not abnormal.

And when it happens you can see how stupid your claim here is. But that shouldn't be surpising since most of your claims are.

I am starting to think you are just one of Cernovich's troll bots.

PostPosted: 12/08/17 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

And when it happens you can see how stupid your claim here is. But that shouldn't be surpising since most of your claims are.

I am starting to think you are just one of Cernovich's bots.

That's giving him far too much credit. He's just an ordinary everyday internet troll, that's all.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 12/08/17 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

That's giving him far too much credit. He's just an ordinary everyday internet troll, that's all.

No. Just a normal, everyday Republican. This is what that party has become. This is its identity.

Stonington_QB

PostPosted: 12/08/17 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

I am starting to think you are just one of Cernovich's troll bots.

What claim am I making here?

Howee

PostPosted: 12/08/17 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
....I'm still trying to find where there was a shred of proof of that. What I DID find, however, was a picture of Al Franken grabbing an unconscious women by her tits with a big smile on his face.

Why didn't you *find* that evidence on Donald, CLEARLY saying he grabbed women by the pussy, and jump on that in your ever-selective, First Class style?

Matty's got it right....it's a Republican Thing. We wouldn't get it.Cool

The women who SAID Roy did it is all I need, if you're good with Donald's word. Same validity, no?

PostPosted: 12/08/17 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:
....I'm still trying to find where there was a shred of proof of that. What I DID find, however, was a picture of Al Franken grabbing an unconscious women by her tits with a big smile on his face.

Why didn't you *find* that evidence on Donald, CLEARLY saiyng he grabbed women by the pussy, and jump on that in your ever-selective, First Class style?

Matty's got it right....it's a Republican Thing. We wouldn't get it.Cool

The women who SAID Roy did it is all I need, if you're good with Donald's word. Same validity, no?

Your misinterpretation of a conversation doesn't excuse Al Franken from his morally repugnant behavior. But I'm glad you think that makes what Franken did OK.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 12/08/17 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Reading through comments on the stories from the Times, Kirsten Gillenbrand is being targeted with a lot of hate today.

I believe that Gillibrand did a tremendous disservice to the country and to the cause of women. She said that trying to draw a line between types of improper behavior is the wrong discussion to have. That is saying that any transgression perpetrated by a man against a woman, no manner how minor or what the surrounding circumstances are, the appropriate penalty is the same. Whether it is rape, child molestation, exchanging sex for advancement at work, exposing yourself to a women or forcing a women to expose herself, forcefully grabbing a woman's genitals, rubbing up against a women, making specific sexual propositions to a subordinate, making specific sexual propositions to a coworker, making specific sexual propositions to an individual in a social setting, making lewd comments to a female subordinate or coworker, making lewd comments in a workplace to others, but within earshot of someone who might take offense, or randomly making a catcall to a pretty woman on the street. All of these might be considered offensive; they should not all be treated the same.

Being tough on crime doesn't mean 10 years in jail for speeding. Al Franken was forced to resign for what?

1) Kissing a women and taking an inappropriate picture more than 10 years ago for which he apologized both publicly and privately, and had that apology accepted by the offended party;

2) Grasping a handful of women's buttocks while taking pictures, for which he apologized, but which seemingly none of the women thought to mention to him at the time;

3) Trying to force himself upon an anonymous women who said that he said, "It's my right as an entertainer." He denies that allegation.

Making someone resign over those allegations doesn't make the Democratic party look tough on improper activity by men toward women; it makes them look intolerant of men in general. It was right to call out Franken for his improprieties, not to kick him out.

Last edited by calbearman76 on 12/09/17 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total
mercfan3

PostPosted: 12/08/17 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Reading through comments on the stories from the Times, Kirsten Gillenbrand is being targeted with a lot of hate today.

I believe that Gillibrand did a tremendous disservice to the country and to the cause of women. She said that trying to draw a line between types of improper behavior is the wrong discussion to have. That is saying that any transgression perpetrated by a man against a woman, no manner how minor or what the surrounding circumstances are, the appropriate penalty is the same. Whether it is rape, child molestation, exchanging sex for advancement at work, exposing yourself to a women or forcing a women to expose herself, forcefully grabbing a woman's genitals, rubbing up against a women, making specific sexual propositions to a subordinate, making specific sexual propositions to a coworker, making specific sexual propositions to an individual in a social setting, making lewd comments to a female subordinate or coworker, making lewd comments in a workplace to others, but within earshot of someone who might take offense, or randomly making a catcall to a pretty woman on the street. All of these might be considered offensive; they should not all be treated the same.

Being tough on crime doesn't mean 10 tears in jail for speeding. Al Franken was forced to resign for what?

1) Kissing a women and taking an inappropriate picture more than 10 years ago for which he apologized both publicly and privately, and had that apology accepted by the offended party;

2) Grasping a handful of women's buttocks while taking pictures, for which he apologized, but which seemingly none of the women thought to mention to him at the time;

3) Trying to force himself upon an anonymous women who said that he said, "It's my right as an entertainer." He denies that allegation.

Making someone resign over those allegations doesn't make the Democratic party look tough on improper activity by men toward women; it makes them look intolerant of men in general. It was right to call out Franken for his improprieties, not to kick him out.

Jesus Christ.

No. It's drawing a line in the sand. That's some disrespectful shit, and the Democratic Party is supposed to be a party that supports women.

Now, obviously, there's political reasons for this decision too. But putting the line in the sand is necessary..

And of Course she's getting "hate." She's got an opinion that didn't fit in with the boys club.

PostPosted: 12/08/17 10:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Being tough on crime doesn't mean 10 tears in jail for speeding. Al Franken was forced to resign for what?

For what? To make it easier to beat up on the Republicans. That's what. Gillebrand doesn't care about any of the rest of that.

It's politics of the most crass kind. Franken had to take one for the team. He was in the way, so he had to go. That's all. Don't even try to extract some principle from it. There was nothing principled about it.

Randy

PostPosted: 12/09/17 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think you are right - Franken is going down to make it a whole lot easier to try to expel Moore when the time comes. Assuming all the Dems vote to expel, it would take far less than half the GOP senators to kick him out and many have already said he was unfit. It will be a huge embarrassment for the GOP when most of those guys have to make an about face. Like I said earlier - politicians are a commodity. No need to keep damaged goods around. Franken can easily be replaced.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 12/09/17 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I think you are right - Franken is going down to make it a whole lot easier to try to expel Moore when the time comes. Assuming all the Dems vote to expel, it would take far less than half the GOP senators to kick him out and many have already said he was unfit. It will be a huge embarrassment for the GOP when most of those guys have to make an about face. Like I said earlier - politicians are a commodity. No need to keep damaged goods around. Franken can easily be replaced.

Moore won't be expelled. There is zero chance.

Mitch McConnell would have to bring it up for a vote, and there is no way he will do that.

justintyme

PostPosted: 12/09/17 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Randy wrote:

Mitch McConnell would have to bring it up for a vote, and there is no way he will do that.

He might. It all depends on the political calculations at the time (as terrible as that is for being the reason to expell a child molester). If his presence hurts The Party's chances going forward they might actually vote.

PostPosted: 12/09/17 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Randy wrote:

He might. It all depends on the political calculations at the time (as terrible as that is for being the reason to expell a child molester). If his presence hurts The Party's chances going forward they might actually vote.

The travesty that put T-Rump into office is proof that ANY-FUCKING-THING can happen. And will, eventually. Shocked Laughing

PostPosted: 12/09/17 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So do you suppose that at some point during a Senate hearing the Chair will say "The Chair now recognizes the pedophile from Alabama"?

scullyfu

PostPosted: 12/09/17 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

more like a dangerous white supremist who advocates rape culture.

PostPosted: 12/09/17 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

Right. Today's Republican party.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/09/17 11:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Franken wouldn't be resigning, and no Democrat would be asking him to, if the governor of Minnesota were a Republican.

If he's not guilty of something significantly out of the norm for a politician, it's idiotic for Franken to sacrifice his career and reputation just because his hypocritical Senate colleagues have a fantasy that his resignation will advantage them in some political way. It will not affect the Alabama election. If Moore wins, it will not affect the outcome of a later Senate Ethics Committee investigation of Moore, in the unlikely event one is held. It will not affect Trump. And it will not give the Democrats any advantage in the Senate, because none of them vote for any Republican legislation anyway and almost none of them vote for any Trump appointee. How much more obstructionist could they be.

On the other hand, if Franken is provably guilty of something serious and he knows it, he should resign regardless of politics.
scullyfu

PostPosted: 12/10/17 8:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Franken wouldn't be resigning, and no Democrat would be asking him to, if the governor of Minnesota were a Republican.

If he's not guilty of something significantly out of the norm for a politician, it's idiotic for Franken to sacrifice his career and reputation just because his hypocritical Senate colleagues have a fantasy that his resignation will advantage them in some political way. It will not affect the Alabama election. If Moore wins, it will not affect the outcome of a later Senate Ethics Committee investigation of Moore, in the unlikely event one is held. It will not affect Trump. And it will not give the Democrats any advantage in the Senate, because none of them vote for any Republican legislation anyway and almost none of them vote for any Trump appointee. How much more obstructionist could they be.

On the other hand, if Franken is provably guilty of something serious and he knows it, he should resign regardless of politics.

well, you should know what obstructionism looks like since your repugs have been practicing it since the days of Gingrich. for a more recent example, just look at all the Obama years for Exhibit A.

PostPosted: 12/11/17 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:

Accuses me of being a white supremacist who advocates rape culture...

scullyfu wrote:
well, you should know what obstructionism looks like since your repugs have been practicing it since the days of Gingrich. for a more recent example, just look at all the Obama years for Exhibit A.

...then goes and steps up to bat for Al Franken.

scullyfu

PostPosted: 12/11/17 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
scullyfu wrote:

scullyfu wrote:

I was referring to Cernovich. i apologize for any confusion that some may have had with that comment; it was in no way meant to be directed at Stonington. if you're familiar with Cernovich, you'd understand the reference.

as for the other, WTF are you even talking about? what does obstructionism by the repugs have to do with Franken? and oh btw, didn't you say this in this thread, referring to Franken:

I agree with your other point too. Don't cave. Stay in there! In fact, he should not only stay on as senator, but he should run for re-election too. It would be the gift that keeps on giving!

so, if you agree with me that Franken should stay, what's the prob?

PostPosted: 12/11/17 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:
scullyfu wrote:

scullyfu wrote:

I was referring to Cernovich. i apologize for any confusion that some may have had with that comment; it was in no way meant to be directed at Stonington. if you're familiar with Cernovich, you'd understand the reference.

as for the other, WTF are you even talking about? what does obstructionism by the repugs have to do with Franken? and oh btw, didn't you say this in this thread, referring to Franken:

I agree with your other point too. Don't cave. Stay in there! In fact, he should not only stay on as senator, but he should run for re-election too. It would be the gift that keeps on giving!

so, if you agree with me that Franken should stay, what's the prob?

That is my mistake. I do apologize for that.

Yes, I do agree that Franken should stay. The ONLY reason people are calling for his resignation is to obtain the "moral high ground" for political purposes.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 12/11/17 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ughh ... there's nothing worse than moral standards, amirite?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: