RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

James Marshall Hendrix: 11/27/1942

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever

PostPosted: 11/28/17 2:33 pm    ::: James Marshall Hendrix: 11/27/1942 Reply Reply with quote

Ok, so I'm a day late...here's a gorgeous "tribute" of sorts, from 1995's Emmylou Harris LP, Wrecking Ball:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/i3RdttpefBU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 11/28/17 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

his relevance cannot be overstated. Smile

PostPosted: 11/29/17 1:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah. Unfortunately his relevance as a guitar influence became too much IMO. I don't think it ever overshadowed his relevance as a truly unique musical artist as well as a performer, but at the end of the day, there can only be one cat like this one. Only one Jimi Hendrix. But in first 20 or so years after his death there were at least two too many guys who sound TOO much like him as a player. And yes, one of those was a superlative blues artist, no doubt.

In the end, for me, like listening to the Beatles, Hendrix is for very special occasions, which don't come along very often for me. As much as I loved him back then, I can't listen to him like I can other cats from that era and that's really because of the powerful flavor of his musical oeuvre which is all a result of his artistry as a producer. He conceived of a sound package and he really was able to carry off that creation over the entire successful part of his career. The Beatles did the same thing and are also, like I said, as much as they might be my pinnacle pop/rock artists, not something I can listen to very much or very often. More the Beatles though than Hendrix because their shit is happier. Doesn't detract from the greatness and uniqueness of his music.

And it also could be a reflection of how much it all takes me back to drugs and whiling away my youth.

Also, I remember a night at a club in Oakland. Had the great drummer Bird Foster in the band and it was one of our first gigs together and a couple of local guitar icons who'd played with him were at the bar. It was a wild night and we got off our 80s set list and played a blues and all I had was some Hendrix licks. Probably played badly. Which is fucked up because I came up playing the blues and nothing but the blues for a long time. Anyway, I remember overhearing those assholes mocking what I was doing later. I learned though. My fault. Be prepared.

pilight

PostPosted: 11/29/17 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
But in first 20 or so years after his death there were at least two too many guys who sound TOO much like him as a player.

Or trying to sound like him, anyway. Hell, Frank Marino spent the 70's claiming he was literally the embodiment of Hendrix' talent.

PostPosted: 11/29/17 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow....

Anyway, I still revel in the glory of both of these icons, and revel in both "stages" of the respective careers- from "happy blissful youth-i-ness" to the less popular "mature artistry" of later on.

I mean, how the eff did L&M write (individually/collaboratively)soooo many great songs.

Both artists still boggle my mind.

The local PBS station played the Ron Howard docu. "Eight Days A Week: The Touring Years", recently. It was fun. Loved seeing HD footage.

Hendrix remains underappreciated as a song writer, arranger, and producer, imo, while the Beatles have received respect due in those areas.

Hendrix is also grossly underappreciated for his rhythm work. It's generally phenomenal. I can spend hours listening to nothing but rhythm tracks.

PostPosted: 11/29/17 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree with all of that. Hendrix was like the entire Beatles’ team of recording artists. He went into a studio and instead of recording songs like most everyone else, essentially said, now let me make a distinct body of art out of sound. And he did that just like the Beatles, Pink Floyd, and very few others.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 12/06/17 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another new LP coming in March:

https://www.newsday.com/entertainment/music/jimi-hendrix-new-album-1.15334172

Unreleased songs recorded by Jimi Hendrix between 1968 and 1970 will be released next year.

Experience Hendrix and Legacy Recordings announced Wednesday that they will release Hendrix's "Both Sides of the Sky" on March 9, 2018. The 13-track album includes 10 songs that have never been released.

Hendrix died in 1970 at age 27. The new album is the third volume in a trilogy from the guitar hero's archive. "Valleys of Neptune" was released in 2010, followed by "People, Hell and Angels," released in 2013.

Eddie Kramer, who worked as recording engineer on every Hendrix album made during the artist's life, said in an interview that 1969 was "a very experimental year" for Hendrix, and that he was blown away as he worked on the new album.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: