RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Minnesota Lynx 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 24, 25, 26  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 10/06/17 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This team has another title in it, IMO, and I hope the players all buy in and go for it. Going back-to-back is probably the one major knock against this dynasty. I would think that is pretty good motivation I itself. And 5 titles ... that is an era of excellence that will be hard to ever top.

PostPosted: 10/06/17 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree. Big IF. If everybody stays healthy they will contend again next year. But they have lost the air of invincibility, which is actually huge. There is hope for others.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 10/24/17 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/10/maya-moore-gabby-douglas-julie-foudy-open-up-about-their-body-image-in-powerful-new-series

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 10/24/17 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Overseas update. I guess the Lynx still own the rights to Elhotova, who is playing with Zahui. If she's considered a big guard, maybe she could substitute for Perkins.

Quote:
For a number of Minnesota Lynx players, as well as players the organization holds rights to, this past weekend was a productive one in overseas action.

Alexis Jones, Renee Montgomery, Temi Fagbenle and Cecilia Zandalasini, all who made appearances with the Lynx during the 2017 WNBA championship season, along with Anna Cruz and Kateřina Elhotová, who the team holds rights to, all had solid showings over the weekend.

Jones kicked off the weekend on Friday with a 25-point performance to lead Al-Qázeres over Quesos El Pastor 83-72. She shot 10-of-21 from the field and recorded six rebounds and two assists. In two games, Jones is averaging 25 points, 3.5 rebounds and one assist in 27 minutes per game.

On Saturday, Montgomery, Cruz and Elhotová were in action for their respective teams.

Montgomery tallied 14 points, four assists and two rebounds to lift Flammes Carolo over Lyon ASVEL 74-59, Cruz finished with a nice all-around game of seven points, seven rebounds, six assists and two steals to help Dynamo Kursk over Inventa Kursk 85-65, and Elhotová rounded out the day with a nice 16-point, three-rebound performance for USK Praha in a 98-69 win over Slavia Praha.

On Sunday, Fagbenle and Zandalasini rounded out the weekend for Lynx players overseas.

Fabgenle began the day with eight points, four rebounds and two assists for CCC Polkowice in a 76-67 win over Ślęza Wrocław, while Zandalasini concluded Sunday with 15 points, five rebounds, two assists and one steal in Famila Schio’s 93-48 rout of Fixi Piramis Torino.

Here is the schedule for upcoming games coming up for the players overseas (all times are CT):

Wednesday

Famila Schio (Zandalasini) at Nadezhda Orenburg, 9:00 a.m. [EuroLeague]
Flammes Carolo (Montgomery) at PEAC-Pécs, 11:00 a.m. [EuroCup]
Dynamo Kursk (Cruz) at Sopron, 11:00 a.m. [EuroLeague]
CCC Polkowice (Fagbenle) at USK Praha (Elhotová), 12:00 p.m. [EuroLeague]

http://lynx.wnba.com/news/overseas-update-solid-showing-lynx-players-weekend/?sf124893092=1

Michelle89

PostPosted: 10/25/17 2:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Overseas update. I guess the Lynx still own the rights to Elhotova, who is playing with Zahui. If she's considered a big guard, maybe she could substitute for Perkins.

Quote:
For a number of Minnesota Lynx players, as well as players the organization holds rights to, this past weekend was a productive one in overseas action.

Alexis Jones, Renee Montgomery, Temi Fagbenle and Cecilia Zandalasini, all who made appearances with the Lynx during the 2017 WNBA championship season, along with Anna Cruz and Kateřina Elhotová, who the team holds rights to, all had solid showings over the weekend.

Jones kicked off the weekend on Friday with a 25-point performance to lead Al-Qázeres over Quesos El Pastor 83-72. She shot 10-of-21 from the field and recorded six rebounds and two assists. In two games, Jones is averaging 25 points, 3.5 rebounds and one assist in 27 minutes per game.

On Saturday, Montgomery, Cruz and Elhotová were in action for their respective teams.

Montgomery tallied 14 points, four assists and two rebounds to lift Flammes Carolo over Lyon ASVEL 74-59, Cruz finished with a nice all-around game of seven points, seven rebounds, six assists and two steals to help Dynamo Kursk over Inventa Kursk 85-65, and Elhotová rounded out the day with a nice 16-point, three-rebound performance for USK Praha in a 98-69 win over Slavia Praha.

On Sunday, Fagbenle and Zandalasini rounded out the weekend for Lynx players overseas.

Fabgenle began the day with eight points, four rebounds and two assists for CCC Polkowice in a 76-67 win over Ślęza Wrocław, while Zandalasini concluded Sunday with 15 points, five rebounds, two assists and one steal in Famila Schio’s 93-48 rout of Fixi Piramis Torino.

Here is the schedule for upcoming games coming up for the players overseas (all times are CT):

Wednesday

Famila Schio (Zandalasini) at Nadezhda Orenburg, 9:00 a.m. [EuroLeague]
Flammes Carolo (Montgomery) at PEAC-Pécs, 11:00 a.m. [EuroCup]
Dynamo Kursk (Cruz) at Sopron, 11:00 a.m. [EuroLeague]
CCC Polkowice (Fagbenle) at USK Praha (Elhotová), 12:00 p.m. [EuroLeague]

http://lynx.wnba.com/news/overseas-update-solid-showing-lynx-players-weekend/?sf124893092=1

Elhotova is a spot up shooter and not much else. Can hardly create her own shot in the Euroleague let alone in the WNBA and she is a pretty weak defender. IMO not a good WNBA fit

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Ay Mate

PostPosted: 10/25/17 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Don't forget, Anna Cruz is still out there too.

Maybe use her to bring home Banham?

How would that work? Connecticut doesn’t want Cruz, a player might or might not come over to play for the Sun and can’t be counted on year after year. You can have Banham for Montgomery though.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/25/17 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
blaase22 wrote:
justintyme wrote:

How would that work? Connecticut doesn’t want Cruz, a player might or might not come over to play for the Sun and can’t be counted on year after year.

That's funny because CON drafted Romero, who comes from the same country as Cruz, and she took the year off right away.... which apparently was okay for CON. So she's already missed as many seasons as Cruz.

If you're close to cutting Banham anyway, wouldn't you rather own a player's rights than have nothing to show for her? You never know when that player might come in handy.... like Torrens, a potential difference-maker who CON has owned the rights to for years. Doesn't hurt to have a wealth of assets to work with.

Ay Mate wrote:
You can have Banham for Montgomery though.

I'm not sure how that would work. Montgomery isn't under contract, so the Lynx would probably have to core her (which gives her a max contract) and then make the trade if she approves it. Does CON want to pay Montgomery max?

I think the only other way to do it is if the Lynx were to sign Montgomery to a less than max contract, and then decide to make a trade a couple weeks into the season... which isn't ideal because you miss all the training from your new team's camp, and you never really catch up to speed.

UK1996

PostPosted: 10/25/17 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Dev Peters got a max contract, Howard will get one. The Lynx need to play it smart and start obtaining some youth and developing them. If they do that with Maya they will stay contenders. In reality, Reeve will probably continue to sacrifice the future, for the present.

PostPosted: 10/25/17 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UK1996 wrote:
In reality, Reeve will probably continue to sacrifice the future, for the present.

It depends on what they feel their window is. If they feel they have another year in them, adding vet pieces that are ready to plug-and-play is probably the right choice. Rebuild when it's time to rebuild, not before. If they can find some young prospects a la Alexis Jones at the end of the bench (with hopes that they move up toward the end of the season) go for it. But otherwise, why sacrifice the present for the future when you are in the midst of your window? That seems dumb.

PostPosted: 10/25/17 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
UK1996 wrote:
In reality, Reeve will probably continue to sacrifice the future, for the present.

It depends on what they feel their window is. If they feel they have another year in them, adding vet pieces that are ready to plug-and-play is probably the right choice. Rebuild when it's time to rebuild, not before. If they can find some young prospects a la Alexis Jones at the end of the bench (with hopes that they move up toward the end of the season) go for it. But otherwise, why sacrifice the present for the future when you are in the midst of your window? That seems dumb.

That's right. If you think you can win the title, you should absolutely sacrifice the present for the future. You can try to figure out the future later.

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 10/25/17 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
blaase22 wrote:
justintyme wrote:

How would that work? Connecticut doesn’t want Cruz, a player might or might not come over to play for the Sun and can’t be counted on year after year.

That's funny because CON drafted Romero, who comes from the same country as Cruz, and she took the year off right away.... which apparently was okay for CON. So she's already missed as many seasons as Cruz.

If you're close to cutting Banham anyway, wouldn't you rather own a player's rights than have nothing to show for her? You never know when that player might come in handy.... like Torrens, a potential difference-maker who CON has owned the rights to for years. Doesn't hurt to have a wealth of assets to work with.

Ay Mate wrote:
You can have Banham for Montgomery though.

I'm not sure how that would work. Montgomery isn't under contract, so the Lynx would probably have to core her (which gives her a max contract) and then make the trade if she approves it. Does CON want to pay Montgomery max?

I think the only other way to do it is if the Lynx were to sign Montgomery to a less than max contract, and then decide to make a trade a couple weeks into the season... which isn't ideal because you miss all the training from your new team's camp, and you never really catch up to speed.

The Sun don’t and never cared about Romero. If she decided to play her rookie season, the Sun would have cut her in camp anyways. The Sun still have faith in Banham and will keep her at least for her entire 4 year rookie contract. They are hoping her good scoring in Australia will translate to the Sun in the spring. I highly expect the Sun to cut Romero this spring.

shontay33

PostPosted: 10/25/17 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UK1996 wrote:
If Dev Peters got a max contract, Howard will get one. The Lynx need to play it smart and start obtaining some youth and developing them. If they do that with Maya they will stay contenders. In reality, Reeve will probably continue to sacrifice the future, for the present.

I hope not. Howard is a good player. Til this day I think Indiana gave up on her too soon. I do agree in that Minnesota should make it a priority to re-sign her. If they don't they may loose her to PHX or possibly NY. I could see PHX signing her especially if Bonner forces her way out. She played very well for them and with PP retired, she should be able to get more minutes. However, I don't see her getting a max deal unless its from Las Vegas.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/25/17 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shontay33 wrote:
I hope not. Howard is a good player. Til this day I think Indiana gave up on her too soon. I do agree in that Minnesota should make it a priority to re-sign her.

In the article above that I break down pretty thoroughly, they have Howard as a lock. She's the only young vet the Lynx have (unless you consider Cruz as still young). She'll probably be important if the Lynx don't want to go into complete rebuild in the near future.

shontay33 wrote:
She played very well for them and with PP retired, she should be able to get more minutes. However, I don't see her getting a max deal unless its from Las Vegas.

If another team offers Howard a max deal, the Lynx would have to match it. I'm not sure LVS would be that team, since they already have Hamby and Harrison and could be adding Wilson. I suppose they could use her as a SF, but what happens to Coffey?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/25/17 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd expect them to want to keep Howard, and be willing to match pretty much anything (although they'l likely offer something decent themselves beforehand to avoid Howard feeling unwanted). If things go well in future she could be the transitional successor to Brunson.

But the question is whether Howard will want to be there. She was already starting to slide past Pierson into a primary backup role by the end of the season, and with PP retiring that hole's even more available. But she might feel like a bigger role is available somewhere else, especially as Reeve has never seemed to totally trust her. And Minnesota's history is that if people want to move on, they'll let them. They'll usually extract some value, but they'll let them go. A sign-and-trade wouldn't hugely surprise me.

PostPosted: 10/25/17 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does Howard want more playing time or more championships? She isn’t going to get a starting role unless, Brunson retires or declines severely in Minnesota. Another thing that has crossed my mind, would Minnesota be interested in bringing back Peters to back up Fowles? Peters is more of a PF, but had a similar role as Jia but in the post. I think that is the type of role that fits her. Come in and play hard d.

PostPosted: 10/25/17 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

comparing Howard to Brunson is laughable.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Libra_Girl

PostPosted: 10/25/17 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
“A.J. has a skill set that we haven’t had in a guard,’’ Reeve said. “We haven’t had a guard, in a pick-and-roll, who can break someone’s ankles, freeze someone, get a floater up, shoot the three. We’re excited about A.J.’’

Sounds like Mone but I'll let you be great Reeves. I like Jones and feel like she turned out to be a nice draft choice for Minny

adamj95

PostPosted: 10/26/17 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UK1996 wrote:
Does Howard want more playing time or more championships? She isn’t going to get a starting role unless, Brunson retires or declines severely in Minnesota. Another thing that has crossed my mind, would Minnesota be interested in bringing back Peters to back up Fowles? Peters is more of a PF, but had a similar role as Jia but in the post. I think that is the type of role that fits her. Come in and play hard d.

No thank you to Peters coming back. Howard looks for her shot, is more athletic, defends well, and (if 2016 showed us anything) can put up good numbers when given more minutes. She was excellent off the bench in 2016, but was moved behind Pierson in 2017. I know not everyone would have the same mindset as me, but I would rather play less minutes for a championship level team than play 35 minutes a game for a team that isn't going to win anything. I bet Howard comes back for next season.

PostPosted: 10/26/17 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Peters asked for a trade out of Minnesota. Why would Minnesota want to go down that road again?

Shades

PostPosted: 11/15/17 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Timberwolves, Lynx and Iowa Wolves Team Up with Hy-Vee as the Official Grocery, Pharmacy and Floral Partner

http://lynx.wnba.com/news/timberwolves-lynx-iowa-wolves-team-hy-vee-official-grocery-pharmacy-floral-partner/?sf171531967=1

Quote:
The partnership includes a digital signage takeover in arena prior to, during and immediately following the opening tip for all Timberwolves, Lynx and Iowa Wolves regular season home games. Hy-Vee will also have digital signage on the exterior of Target Center and additional signage elements in-arena throughout the games. For the Iowa Wolves, Hy-Vee’s logo will be placed near mid-court inside Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines, Iowa.

One unique element of the partnership gives Hy-Vee the opportunity to leverage a professional sports team’s chef for custom content. Timberwolves & Lynx Executive Chef David Fhima will create a digital cookbook with Hy-Vee products, which includes a year-long content series on the teams’ digital, social and in-arena channels.

Shades

PostPosted: 11/21/17 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/b_TbE4eUQZM" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

adamj95

PostPosted: 11/29/17 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is Perkins coming back next year?

PostPosted: 12/04/17 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lindsay Whalen to call eight Timberwolves games this year for Fox Sports North

http://www.twincities.com/2017/12/04/lindsay-whalen-to-call-eight-timberwolves-games-this-year-for-fox-sports-north/

Quote:
Lynx point guard Lindsay Whalen will join the Fox Sports North broadcast team as a second in-game analyst for eight Timberwolves games this season.

Whalen, a two-time Olympic gold medalist and four-time WNBA champion, joined FSN for one Wolves’ broadcast last March.

She will make her season debut Wednesday in Los Angeles when the Wolves take on the Clippers. The Hutchinson, Minn., native will join the broadcast team of Dave Benz and Jim Petersen. Whalen will work three Timberwolves’ home games and five road games.

Here’s the full schedule of Timberwolves’ broadcasts Whalen will join this season:

Dec. 6: at Los Angeles Clippers
Dec. 12: vs. Philadelphia
Jan. 1: vs. Los Angeles
Jan. 14: vs. Sacramento
Feb. 7: at Cleveland
Feb. 23: at Houston
March 2: at Utah
April 5: at Denver

pilight

PostPosted: 12/05/17 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Minnesota Lynx are the best in the league, but are they the best in the state?

http://beloitcollegeroundtable.com/2017/12/04/minnesota-lynx-are-the-best-in-the-league-but-are-they-the-best-in-the-state/

Quote:
The Lynx have brought in more league championships than any other team in Minnesota

PostPosted: 12/05/17 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Minnesota Lynx are the best in the league, but are they the best in the state?

http://beloitcollegeroundtable.com/2017/12/04/minnesota-lynx-are-the-best-in-the-league-but-are-they-the-best-in-the-state/

Quote:
The Lynx have brought in more league championships than any other team in Minnesota

Quote:
In 2010 the minnesota Lynx became a force to be reckoned with.

He's lucky that's a false statement as their missing the playoffs in 2010 was the reason they got Maya Moore.

I don't understand the headline. Is he saying that because they have had WNBA success they should be more popular than the male sports teams?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 2 of 26

Jump to: