RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Ranking 2018’s WNBA restricted free agents
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever

PostPosted: 12/05/17 2:27 pm    ::: Ranking 2018’s WNBA restricted free agents Reply Reply with quote

https://summitthoops.com/2017/12/05/ranking-2018-wnba-restricted-free-agents/

Quote:
The Summitt has acquired a list of the 2018 WNBA restricted free agents from a league source. This list does not reflect any upcoming moves by teams to core players and submit qualifying offers. Both can take place during the first half of January. The second half of January, players can negotiate with their own teams.

toad455

PostPosted: 12/05/17 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some names may not even be on a roster by opening day(Harris, Colson, etc.). Dolson, McBride & A. Thomas likely get Max deals thrown at them. The ones I possibly see on a different team are Plaisance, Hartley & Hawkins.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
PUmatty

PostPosted: 12/05/17 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Some names may not even be on a roster by opening day(Harris, Colson, etc.). Dolson, McBride & A. Thomas likely get Max deals thrown at them. The ones I possibly see on a different team are Plaisance, Hartley & Hawkins.

Sims could be an interesting case. Given what she did early in her career, I assume someone will offer her a high-dollar contract. Would LA match? They have a fairly expensive roster.

toad455

PostPosted: 12/05/17 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think LA's situation with Sims falls on whether or not Beard is returning. No Beard and I think LA throws some $$ at her(not max). Maybe Seattle goes after her? Would Katie Smith want Sims? Atlanta?

Nerd2

PostPosted: 12/05/17 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I play around with a facebook page, WNBA Fans Nation. I posted that same info a week beforehand minus Colson and Hooper because I couldn't verify it. So, here's my list for all the unrestricted FAs. Maybe we can get a league source to verify them as well Smile

Verified UFAs:
Tina Charles
Kia Vaughn
Tamera Young
Cappie Pondexter
Allie Quigley
Jessica Breland
Kayla Pedersen
Danielle Adams
Shekinna Stricklen
Lynetta Kizer
Courtney Paris
Karima Christmas-Kelly
Rebekkah Brunson
Jia Perkins
Renee Montgomery
Monique Currie
Camille Little
Alex Montgomery
Noelle Quinn
Crystal Langhorne
Carolyn Swords
Sancho Lyttle

Unverified UFAs:
Matee Ajavon
Aneika Morello
Candice Dupree
Allison Hightower
Shenise Johnson
Jeanette Pohlen-Mavunga
Tiffany Jackson-Jones
Essence Carson
Shay Murphy
Ivory Latta

Last edited by Nerd2 on 12/08/17 5:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Nerd2

PostPosted: 12/05/17 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Verified reserved players:
Adut Bulgak
Bashaara Graves
Jennifer Hamson
Jennie Simms
Cecilia Zandalasini
Lindsay Allen
Angel Robinson
Cayla George
Emma Cannon
Yvonne Turner
Sonja Petrovic
Marta Xargay
Sami Whitcomb

Unverified reserved players:
Sandrine Gruda
Maimouna Diarra
Nayo Raincock-Ekunwe
Cierra Burdick
Sequoia Holmes
Asia Taylor
Damiris Dantas

Players waived during season (and therefore unrestricted):
Devereaux Peters
Keisha Hampton
Nikki Greene
Markeisha Gatling
Maggie Lucas
Ameryst Alston
Shayla Cooper
Victoria Macauley
Erika de Souza
Haley Peters
Rachel Jarry
Avery Warley-Talbert
Ify Ibekwe
Jamie Weisner
Chelsea Hopkins

Last edited by Nerd2 on 12/08/17 5:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Nerd2

PostPosted: 12/05/17 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And finally, players who I think are under contract but can't say for sure because of the wording in the release. Most signed in 2017 though.

Tiffany Hayes
Briann January
Marissa Coleman
Erica Wheeler
Riquna Williams
Jantel Lavender
Nneka Ogwumike
Alana Beard
Epiphanny Prince
Rebecca Allen
Kristi Toliver
Tierra Ruffin-Pratt

If I didn't mention them, then I verified that they were under contract. This includes Chiney Ogwumike who they declined the rookie option on and instead signed her fully just before suspending her. It was a clear indication that they consider her part of their future.

Shades

PostPosted: 12/05/17 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This would be a good article to add to the established Free Agent topic.

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=92607

There's points I question in the article.

*Amber Harris is a restricted free agent? Probably not unless you consider a reserved player a RFA. Harris played for the Lynx for three years, missed a year because of injury, and then was waived prior to the 2015 season. She didn't play again until 2017 for CHI. I'm pretty sure she was signed by them as a UFA.

*Sydney Colson is similar to Harris as that she was drafted in 2011, but she took a three year break from the WNBA until three spent the last three seasons with SAN. It seems this "league source" equates 4 years service to RFA, whether it's continuous or not. As far as I know, the 4 years needs to be continuous.

*Theresa Plaisance
Quote:
Projected 2018 role: Big minutes at center

Huh? I believe it was October when Plaisance sustained an ACL injury. That gives her less than 8 months to heal before training camp. Even if she's ready by then, with the likelihood of Cambage coming over and DAL probably retaining Paris, and maybe drafting a big at #6, I see a very different outlook.

*Alyssa Thomas
Quote:
Projected 2018 role: Starting wing
2017 was the year the group of us who loved Alyssa Thomas’ game went from a cult following to mainstream. Thomas made the all-star team for the Sun, combining elite defending with plus rebounding and absurdly effective playmaking out of both wing spots for Curt Miller.

That's a good projection if CON is keep Chiney, but it seems like Megdal isn't acknowledging that Thomas played as PF this last season. Oh well, a forward is a forward... but both wing spots?

*Stefanie Dolton
Quote:
Dolson is just 25, and the gamble Amber Stocks made, that she’d be a star they could build around, has turned out to be a sound one.

Stocks gambled? I thought she didn't have much choice since Thibault said Meesseman was off the table.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Randy

PostPosted: 12/05/17 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
I play around with a facebook page, WNBA Fans Nation. I posted that same info a week beforehand minus Colson and Hooper because I couldn't verify it. So, here's my list for all the unrestricted FAs. Maybe we can get a league source to verify them as well Smile

Verified UFAs:
Tina Charles
Kia Vaughn
Tamera Young
Cappie Pondexter
Allie Quigley
Jessica Breland
Kayla Pedersen
Danielle Adams
Shekinna Stricklen
Lynetta Kizer
Courtney Paris
Karima Christmas-Kelly
Rebekkah Brunson
Jia Perkins
Renee Montgomery
Monique Currie
Camille Little
Alex Montgomery
Noelle Quinn
Crystal Langhorne
Carolyn Swords

Unverified UFAs:
Damiris Dantas
Matee Ajavon
Sancho Lyttle
Aneika Morello
Candice Dupree
Shenise Johnson
Jeanette Pohlen-Mavunga
Tiffany Jackson-Jones
Essence Carson
Shay Murphy
Ivory Latta

Danton only has 3 years so I don't see why she would be a UFA.

Lytle is a USA according to NC.

Randy

PostPosted: 12/05/17 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:

Verified UFAs:
Tina Charles
Kia Vaughn
Tamera Young
Cappie Pondexter
Allie Quigley
Jessica Breland
Kayla Pedersen
Danielle Adams
Shekinna Stricklen
Lynetta Kizer
Courtney Paris
Karima Christmas-Kelly
Rebekkah Brunson
Jia Perkins
Renee Montgomery
Monique Currie
Camille Little
Alex Montgomery
Noelle Quinn
Crystal Langhorne
Carolyn Swords

Unverified UFAs:
Damiris Dantas
Matee Ajavon
Sancho Lyttle
Aneika Morello
Candice Dupree
Shenise Johnson
Jeanette Pohlen-Mavunga
Tiffany Jackson-Jones
Essence Carson
Shay Murphy
Ivory Latta

Danton only has 3 years so I don't see why she would be a UFA.

Lytle is a USA according to NC.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 12/05/17 7:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, Dantas would be reserved as she only has three years of WNBA experience (assuming the Dream extend the qualifying offer to make her reserved). Otherwise, Nerd2's lists are pretty damn accurate.

PostPosted: 12/05/17 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

*Amber Harris is a restricted free agent? Probably not unless you consider a reserved player a RFA. Harris played for the Lynx for three years, missed a year because of injury, and then was waived prior to the 2015 season. She didn't play again until 2017 for CHI. I'm pretty sure she was signed by them as a UFA.

*Sydney Colson is similar to Harris as that she was drafted in 2011, but she took a three year break from the WNBA until three spent the last three seasons with SAN. It seems this "league source" equates 4 years service to RFA, whether it's continuous or not. As far as I know, the 4 years needs to be continuous.

No, a year of service is a year of service. Amber Harris was signed as a UFA because she had been previously waived (so her rights were not retained). Now that both are out of contract, the years of service determine whether they would be restricted or unrestricted. Another thing that could happen is that the team would not choose to give a qualifying offer so again that would be not retaining rights and make them unrestricted.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 12/05/17 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Yeah, Dantas would be reserved as she only has three years of WNBA experience (assuming the Dream extend the qualifying offer to make her reserved). Otherwise, Nerd2's lists are pretty damn accurate.

Thanks. I edited both lists to move Dantas and Lyttle. Any help on the unverifieds on any of the lists I gave?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 12/05/17 9:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think most of your unverified UFAs are right, although Carson wasn't on the list I had. Hightower can't be reserved with six years in the league. She'll be a UFA if she's out of contract.

PostPosted: 12/06/17 3:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I think LA's situation with Sims falls on whether or not Beard is returning. No Beard and I think LA throws some $$ at her(not max). Maybe Seattle goes after her? Would Katie Smith want Sims? Atlanta?

If Beard retires and with Williams clearly not working out i see the Sparks throwing max money at Sims if they need to..

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
myrtle

PostPosted: 12/06/17 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder how attached Vaughn is to playing in hometown NY. She would be a great asset in Vegas. How does she and Bill get along?

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 12/06/17 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

If Beard retires and with Williams clearly not working out i see the Sparks throwing max money at Sims if they need to..

Yeah, I can't see LA letting her go.

- Amanda Gorman
toad455

PostPosted: 12/06/17 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I wonder how attached Vaughn is to playing in hometown NY. She would be a great asset in Vegas. How does she and Bill get along?

BYE!! We'll happily take Swords back on the Liberty!!

Richyyy

PostPosted: 12/06/17 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, I seriously doubt that Sims is going anywhere, especially not for free. If Beard retires that opens up cap room, or you dump Carson/Williams if necessary. Sims'll get max or virtual max, almost certainly in LA.

PostPosted: 12/06/17 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thank you Nerd2 for your hard work and contributions to this board.

Quote:
After three years with Cheryl Reeve, Harris provided Amber Stocks and the Sky with more of the same—some rim protection, some boards, along with decent finishing around the rim.

LMAO

Last edited by sigur3 on 12/06/17 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
root_thing

PostPosted: 12/06/17 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

BYE!! We'll happily take Swords back on the Liberty!!

I'd also be in favor of letting Vaughn go. Swords is OK, but we've been there, done that. I would roll the dice on Kizer. She shoots that midrange jumper almost as well as Lavender. It would open the lane more for perimeter players to drive and give Tina more room down low. Kizer isn't much of a shotblocker or rebounder, but Vaughn was only marginally better. We can always use Stokes for defense. Kizer is three years younger than Vaughn and has more size to push people around (probably a little taller despite the same stated height and listed as 25 lbs heavier).

PostPosted: 12/06/17 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sorry, but since Tina joined the Liberty, Swords has been her best counterpart inside. She's had Vaughn, Stokes, Pierson, Warley, Braxton & Swords. Swords knows how to set up Charles best and position herself when Tina gets doubled.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 12/06/17 11:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For NY I like Swords or Kizer, I would also look at Stricklen or Christmas-Kelly. Adding two of those UFA with out losing any assets could be a great help. I would also look at bringing back both L. Allen and Hartley, but I only see one getting the call unless we trade Rodgers, Prince or the 1st round pick. I would offer Rodgers and the #10 pick for Sims, but I think LA gives her the max and keeps her (Gray and Sims are a perfect combo for LA).

SO

Hartley/Boyd
Prince/Rodgers
Zellous/Stricklen or Christmas-Kelly
Charles/Raincock-Ekunwe
Stokes/Swords or Kizer

It doesn't add the second star we need but the depth of decent talent and experience around Charles could push us to that contender status

and pick two of
R. Allen, Zahui B, L. Allen, and #10 and #22
to fill out the roster

root_thing

PostPosted: 12/07/17 12:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
sorry, but since Tina joined the Liberty, Swords has been her best counterpart inside. She's had Vaughn, Stokes, Pierson, Warley, Braxton & Swords. Swords knows how to set up Charles best and position herself when Tina gets doubled.

Well, we know Laimbeer didn't see it that way. Swords averaged 15.0 and 17.5 mpg in her two years whereas Stokes was given 25.4 and 24.1 mpg. Last season, both Vaughn and "overweight" Stokes logged 19.6 mpg.

PostPosted: 12/07/17 10:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

The first time or the second time?

(now with spelling variations)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: