RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Notre Dame @ Connecticut - 12/03/17
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win this game?
Notre Dame
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
Connecticut
78%
 78%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 14

CBiebel

PostPosted: 12/03/17 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:

ND teams of past like the Novosel and even Cable years were all about sharing the ball.

ND had 17 assists on 28 baskets (to UConn's 17 assists on 29 baskets). Those don't exactly sound like "selfish" stats me.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 12/03/17 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
One nice thing is that no one can say that UConn chokes in all their close games. Rolling Eyes

Yes I have to admit, UConn didn't panic today and played better in the last 4-5 minutes than I was expecting them to (at that point) given the situation. It's not like they're often in that situation. They didn't blink.

I'm thinking that the strong home crowd probably didn't hurt the situation (for UConn, that is), either.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 12/03/17 11:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
noleman wrote:
Rebounding the difference for Uconn (as well as bad shot selection from ND).

Mostly bad shot selection down the stretch.

Or great defense...

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/03/17 11:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
noleman wrote:

Or great defense...

Better UConn defense than earlier, but mostly it was "burn time then take crappy perimeter shot" which is more self inflicted than anything . For the most part they didn't even try to get it into the paint in the last six minutes or so. They were shooting from the perimeter and thereby out of position for rebounds while UConn was sending everyone to the boards.

BTW, you should probably listen to Geno's press conference. He said sometimes people miss because of great defense, and sometimes they just miss having nothing to do with the defense. He didn't seem to attribute this to great defense.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/04/17 10:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Notre Dame with a short bench, and a hell of a long road trip.

They are a force to be reckoned with.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 12/04/17 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Notre Dame with a short bench, and a hell of a long road trip.

They are a force to be reckoned with.

Had not O'gunnerbowale shot a cadaver-like 1-10 from 3 and Mabrey choked in crunchtime, the result may have been different.

PostPosted: 12/04/17 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Notre Dame lost this game in the 4th. They lost the game through too much one on one or jacking up shots early in the shot clock. Your own fans have been complaining about the lack of passing so a little surprised any of you would question the selfish comment. This is not a typical MM team.

And really Howee a player plays in a tough game when probably she shouldn’t have played as she wasn’t 💯 she gets hit by Sheperd, no call by ref and rolls it again, and still tries to come back for her team. SMH

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 12/04/17 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In reply to above but don't shoot the messenger, comments are from 2 of your ex players and 2 of the players on your team.

1. McGraw was watched in practice by the admin after parents complained about serious issues in practice
2. Problem with Mabrey and AO, no-one likes playing with them, they argue with each other on the court - you set a screen for me no you set a screen for me....
3. Problem with Mabrey yelling at her teammates.
4. Problem with Mabrey off the court and getting personally involved with another teammates Beau.
5. Players like Shepherd,Turner and Young who everyone seems to like feel there is little TEAM and too much ME.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/04/17 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Had to leave for mass at halftime, but was treated to unexpected excitement in the second half on the VCR.

I agree with previous posters that UConn played its best fourth quarter of the season and that, at the same time, ND abandoned their inside game and took a lot of low quality shots. Mascara and Ogunner began chucking up hasty heaves, and the few times Shepard got the ball down low she missed of her own accord.

I thought at first that Geno was keeping Gabby Williams out in the second half to give himself and his team plausible excusability for a loss he expected after the first half. But it seems that she was being bothered by a migraine headache. Nevertheless, I think the first half might have given a flavor of the challenges Williams will face in the WNBA: she still shows no shooting touch outside about 15 feet and she had a hard time getting around big bodies in the paint.

Collier and Stevens both played well, but I think they partially cancel each other out when they are both on the floor at the same time. When one is on the low block where she is an effective scorer, the other is sort of floating around the outside as an ineffective scorer. That would change if either or both developed a significantly better outside shot.

I was surprised that LouConn led the team with 18 points. To me, they were sort of stealth points, but I couldn't identify the blurs all that well on my DuMont.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/04/17 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
In reply to above but don't shoot the messenger, comments are from 2 of your ex players and 2 of the players on your team.

1. McGraw was watched in practice by the admin after parents complained about serious issues in practice
2. Problem with Mabrey and AO, no-one likes playing with them, they argue with each other on the court - you set a screen for me no you set a screen for me....
4. Problem with Mabrey off the court and getting personally involved with another teammates Beau.
5. Players like Shepherd,Turner and Young who everyone seems to like feel there is little TEAM and too much ME.

I asked you who. Show us all where these comments were made, by whom, and what they actually said.

Otherwise it's nothing but Internet bullshit trolling.

acsuc99

PostPosted: 12/04/17 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ACSUC99 is happy we came back to win. This team (coach?) usually withers when punched or can't get over the hump when they try to comeback (IE. Miss State). But I was impressed they rallied down 10 in the 4th QTR with no Gabby or KLS. It was a good character building win against an ND team that is very strong.

But the fact this team, basically the same as last year plus 2 good players, was in that much danger at home to an ND team they easily beat last year in South Bend and that lost a lot suggests our suspicions about some of the lackluster stretches in the first several games was indeed cause for concern. Did our players get outworked in the off season? Is there some disjointment between the new players and returning? It's still early to know but it certainly doesn't look like one of those It's UConn and everybody else years that it looked like in 2009 and 2016 like many predicted it would be.

I am concerned about Geno. He just seems tired and off to me. I listen to his post game pressers and he just doesn't seem very energetic. I am also worried about his misreading about how this team is just nothing without Samuelson. Reminds me of some of his insane Mel Thomas statements about how she needed to be on the court at all times or else everything doesn't work. Of course KLS is a much much better player than Thomas but Geno's statements this week were so pro KLS he made it sound like his team that beat UCLA on the road by 20 without her was garbage and they had no shot against ND without here. The reality was UConn rallied down double digits to beat ND WITHOUT LOU. Would Geno even have had Azura or Megan in the game had Lou and Gabby been available? I shudder to think. Azura and Megan poise different matchup challenges than a Lou/Pheesa/Collier frontcourt does and I am not convinced Geno would have made the move to the taller, harder to guard, and better rebounding tandem if he had no choice to. That is what concerns me!

RavenDog

PostPosted: 12/04/17 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
RavenDog wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
noleman wrote:

Or great defense...

Better UConn defense than earlier, but mostly it was "burn time then take crappy perimeter shot" which is more self inflicted than anything . For the most part they didn't even try to get it into the paint in the last six minutes or so. They were shooting from the perimeter and thereby out of position for rebounds while UConn was sending everyone to the boards.

BTW, you should probably listen to Geno's press conference. He said sometimes people miss because of great defense, and sometimes they just miss having nothing to do with the defense. He didn't seem to attribute this to great defense.

I did several times. He did say they played poor defense and they did for 3 quarters, however your statement said down the stretch. UConn played intensive defense down the stretch and it had an effect on the ND offense. Rewatch the game in the 4th quarter..

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/04/17 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
RavenDog wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
noleman wrote:

Or great defense...

I did several times. He did say they played poor defense and they did for 3 quarters, however your statement said down the stretch. UConn played intensive defense down the stretch and it had an effect on the ND offense. Rewatch the game in the 4th quarter..

I have, and also, Geno was specifically talking about down the stretch. He was responding to a question specifically about the final stretch of the game. The reporter said ND was 6 for it's final 29. And he said he thought ND just missed. "It didn't have anything to do with where we were." I'll take his word for it.

Brinx

PostPosted: 12/04/17 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ND has to be kicking themselves after that fourth quarter. They practically gave the win to UCONN.

ND looked better than I expected given all their injuries. If they keep this play up they’ll be dangerous in March. Lots of talk in this thread about Mabrey possibly being a bad teammate and yelling at her teammates...I didn’t notice that. Perhaps I missed it, but she seemed to be pointing out directions and plays in an effort to get the team to run something as they were slowly falling apart at the end.

UCONN did well without Williams and KLS. That’s really good for them, and bad for everyone else.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/04/17 7:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brinx wrote:

Lots of talk in this thread about Mabrey possibly being a bad teammate and yelling at her teammates.

No, not "lots". Just one poster who has provided no backup at all for those assertions.

I suspect ND IS kicking themselves. Although McGraw was surprisingly upbeat postgame.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 12/04/17 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Brinx wrote:

Lots of talk in this thread about Mabrey possibly being a bad teammate and yelling at her teammates.

No, not "lots". Just one poster who has provided no backup at all for those assertions.

I suspect ND IS kicking themselves. Although McGraw was surprisingly upbeat postgame.

I did seem to notice some animosity between Mabrey & KLS . Hmm maybe some high school tension/hatred who knows. I could tell those 2 did not like each other.

PostPosted: 12/04/17 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Brinx wrote:

Even if it was true, teammates need to hold each other accountable to an extent. When I was younger if a teammate yelled at me, that pissed me off and made me play that much harder.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 12/04/17 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Up 11, 9:00 left, with the ball.

Tastes like Classic Choke to me.

PostPosted: 12/05/17 7:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:

I will remember this as reference if any of this is true. I remember when the Taya Reimer being unhappy at ND rumors was brushed aside as just internet gossip as well.

ucbart

PostPosted: 12/05/17 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Punk shit from Collier. The ball is supposed to go to the official. She has no business grabbing it from Mabrey.

I was at the game and kept a close eye on Mabrey the entire game. She is a complete asshole on the floor. I watched her yell at her teammates, yell at the officials and she was constantly jawing the UCONN players. She was constantly swiping at players. To me, that was just the pot boiling over for Collier. These are things that on the re-watch of the game, you don't see on camera. Muffett let her have it after the tangle with Collier.

And I've seen dozens of players take the ball out of another players hands after a play like that. Of course, because it's UCONN, Art becomes even more Artish.....

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/05/17 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

I will remember this as reference if any of this is true. I remember when the Taya Reimer being unhappy at ND rumors was brushed aside as just internet gossip as well.

A) I read a bunch of shit on the internet
B) a while later something happened
Conclusion) something must have happened because of the shit I read on the internet which must all have been true.

Hmm. Maybe you should take a remedial logic class.

Davis4632

PostPosted: 12/05/17 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm just stating the fact that the Reimer situation was just considering to be internet gossip too.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 12/05/17 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
I'm just stating the fact that the Reimer situation was just considering to be internet gossip too.

I agree that sometimes internet rumors turn out to be true. But many times they are neither disproved nor confirmed. Sometimes, where there's smoke there is fire and other times, it's just someone blowing smoke.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/05/17 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The statement "I will remember this as reference if any of this is true." is self fulfilling but logically invalid and meaningless.

I could sit down and write today some total fiction about dissension at UConn, that players are angry about Geno playing favorites, that so-and-so is a total bitch, and then when some player inevitably transfers, point back and say "See, I told you so."

But it doesn't make anything I wrote today true or "prove" I knew what I was writing about, and it's not a "reference" for anything and the transfer will probably be driven by reasons completely unrelated to the myth I wrote. It would be pure fictional trolling.

There were hundreds of things written about Reimer by internet trolls covering just about anything imaginable. That she later transferred does not even hint at a single internet rumor having been true or written by anyone knowledgeable of what was occurring.

Davis4632

PostPosted: 12/05/17 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The spin and strawmen are out in full force and I'm done.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: