RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The Official 2018 Coaches on the Hotseat thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 12/04/17 2:06 pm    ::: The Official 2018 Coaches on the Hotseat thread Reply Reply with quote

I haven't we this started yet and it's a year to the date where the 2017 thread started. Almost to the start of conference play.

Let's review last years fsvorites.

Tennessee Holly Warlick

Rutgers C Vic Stringer

Virginia.JoAnne Boyle

Clemson Audra Smith

So Cal. Cynthia Duke-Cooper (who did not retain her position).

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 12/04/17 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the heat is on in Norman.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 12/04/17 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:

Really? She seems like an institution.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 12/04/17 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

I agree. In the 10 seasons preceding Coale's hiring, the Sooners had gone to the NCAA Tournament exactly 1 time (a loss in the 2nd round of the tourney). By contrast, Coale has coached the Sooners to NCAA Tourney appearances in the last 18 consecutive seasons, 3 of which included Final Four runs.

I wouldn't understand the logic behind throwing that away.

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 12/04/17 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

I agree. In the 10 seasons preceding Coale's hiring, the Sooners had gone to the NCAA Tournament exactly 1 time (a loss in the 2nd round of the tourney). By contrast, Coale has coached the Sooners to NCAA Tourney appearances in the last 18 consecutive seasons, 3 of which included Final Four runs.

While I agree she isn't on the hot seat, I think she should be. I believe she's one of the highest paid WBB coaches in the country IIRC. The success she has had the past years you could get with a new coach with half the salary. Just saying.

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 12/04/17 6:31 pm    ::: Re: The Official 2018 Coaches on the Hotseat thread Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
I haven't we this started yet and it's a year to the date where the 2017 thread started. Almost to the start of conference play.

Let's review last years fsvorites.

Tennessee Holly Warlick

Rutgers C Vic Stringer

Virginia.JoAnne Boyle

Clemson Audra Smith

So Cal. Cynthia Duke-Cooper (who did not retain her position).

JoAnne Boule has to be done. Great person, but just doesn't seem to have control of her team. Tons of talent on her roster. No reason to underperform that badly.

I don't see Holly going anywhere Or Stringer.

Clemson and Audra Smith is a tough one. She just hasn't recruited any talent, but does Clemson care enough to do anything about it?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/04/17 6:38 pm    ::: Re: The Official 2018 Coaches on the Hotseat thread Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:

JoAnne Boule has to be done. Great person, but just doesn't seem to have control of her team. Tons of talent on her roster. No reason to underperform that badly.

You would think so, but every year it's "this will be the year", and then it's not.

Plus there has been some really elite talent in Virginia, and she has attracted none of it to UVA.

But I'm not convinced the AD has any interest in making a change.

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 12/04/17 6:54 pm    ::: Re: The Official 2018 Coaches on the Hotseat thread Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:

You would think so, but every year it's "this will be the year", and then it's not.

Plus there has been some really elite talent in Virginia, and she has attracted none of it to UVA.

But I'm not convinced the AD has any interest in making a change.

I think this is the year if she doesn't make the tournament, which I don't think they will. I will say they should have been in last year. They got screwed in my opinion.

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 12/04/17 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

While I agree she isn't on the hot seat, I think she should be. I believe she's one of the highest paid WBB coaches in the country IIRC. The success she has had the past years you could get with a new coach with half the salary. Just saying.

Comes down to recruiting, at one time OU could get a few top 50th kids in one class, now getting a kid in the top 150 is a challenge. Sherri only goes after a "specific" type of kid, and if that player isn't that, they're normally not a match for OU.
Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 12/04/17 7:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

Comes down to recruiting, at one time OU could get a few top 50th kids in one class, now getting a kid in the top 150 is a challenge. Sherri only goes after a "specific" type of kid, and if that player isn't that, they're normally not a match for OU.

Every year the past few years she has gotten at least one top 50 kid even a few in the top 20. Nancy Mulkey, Gabrielle Ortiz, and another one that transferred as well. She has plenty of talent compared to other programs in the top 25. I don't see it being a challenge for her. She has elite players coming in next year and I believe the following year as well. Bottom line is they underperform with the talent they have.

dinkytown

PostPosted: 12/04/17 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stringer just signed a 4 year extension. Rutgers already has more wins than last year and they should win at least a handful in the Big Ten. I think she'll be at Rutgers until she retires.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 12/04/17 7:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SMS at Pitt. Hasn't done much in quite some time.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 12/04/17 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She may not be on the Hot Seat now, but June Daugherty's contract at Washington State runs out after the 2018-19 season. I have a hunch they will not renew her when the contract expires.

PostPosted: 12/04/17 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Please please please can the Gophers get rid of Stollings?

PostPosted: 12/04/17 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:

Maybe UVA will hire her back to the east coast once they fire Boyle. Laughing She did recruit Hubbard from Virginia!

BallState1984

PostPosted: 12/04/17 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dare I say it now... Versyp?

PostPosted: 12/04/17 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

Every year the past few years she has gotten at least one top 50 kid even a few in the top 20. Nancy Mulkey, Gabrielle Ortiz, and another one that transferred as well. She has plenty of talent compared to other programs in the top 25. I don't see it being a challenge for her. She has elite players coming in next year and I believe the following year as well. Bottom line is they underperform with the talent they have.

"Underperform" is such a tricky word, imo. Do Coale's Sooners "underperform" when compared to OU's historical standard prior to Coale's arrival? Not by the faintest stretch. Do Coale's Sooners "underperform" when compared to the theoretical W/L record one might expect from the players that she's recruited? Maybe or maybe not, I genuinely don't know. But if Coale's recruiting were to suddenly take a nosedive and the Sooners were to somehow post a similar record, would that mean that the Sooners have then "overperformed"?

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 12/04/17 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:

Hopefully missing the NCAA Tournament again will be good enough to, as their non-conference schedule is bad enough they probably will miss it unless they go at least 11-5 in Big Ten. Very Happy

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 12/04/17 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
She may not be on the Hot Seat now, but June Daugherty's contract at Washington State runs out after the 2018-19 season. I have a hunch they will not renew her when the contract expires.

As mediocre as Wazzu has been under Daugherty, these past few seasons are actually a solid improvement on where Cougar basketball was prior to June's arrival, and amounts to one of WSU's better eras in its entire history as a Pac-10/12 wbb program.

Also, fwiw, Daugherty's coaching bio says that she signed a contract extension through the 2021-2022 season.

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 12/04/17 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

"Underperform" is such a tricky word, imo. Do Coale's Sooners "underperform" when compared to OU's historical standard prior to Coale's arrival? Not by the faintest stretch. Do Coale's Sooners "underperform" when compared to the theoretical W/L record one might expect from the players that she's recruited? Maybe or maybe not, I genuinely don't know. But if Coale's recruiting were to suddenly take a nosedive and the Sooners were to somehow post a similar record, would that mean that the Sooners have then "overperformed"?

Compared to years prior to her, yes they are doing good. Except this year. I do think with the talent she has this year, they are underperforming. They lost to a bad little Rock team and a bad Florida team. She has several top 100 recruits on her roster. But from my previous statement, I believe she's one of the highest paid coaches. From that standpoint as an AD, I would expect much better results.

adamj95

PostPosted: 12/04/17 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
adamj95 wrote:

Hopefully missing the NCAA Tournament again will be good enough to, as their non-conference schedule is bad enough they probably will miss it unless they go at least 11-5 in Big Ten. Very Happy

The B10 is down this year but with the Gophers lack of defense, that might not matter. I would hope missing the tournament and a losing record would get her fired but I do believe her contract isn't up for a few more years so who knows.

PostPosted: 12/04/17 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And Nikki Caldwell has still yet to produce anything at LSU and her job is still safe ? Shes one of the biggest discussions year after year . Im sure Coach Gunter is turning over in her grave .

PostPosted: 12/04/17 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
adamj95 wrote:

The B10 is down this year but with the Gophers lack of defense, that might not matter. I would hope missing the tournament and a losing record would get her fired but I do believe her contract isn't up for a few more years so who knows.

She’s signed into 2021.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 12/04/17 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Candi Whittaker at Texas Tech.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/04/17 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
And Nikki Caldwell has still yet to produce anything at LSU and her job is still safe ? Shes one of the biggest discussions year after year . Im sure Coach Gunter is turning over in her grave .

I can't see why. Caldwell's seasons would fit seamlessly into Gunter's career (other than Gunter's last two seasons when Chatman was the de facto coach).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: