RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Meanwhile in... (misc. games 12/3-12/9)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Queenie

PostPosted: 12/03/17 6:57 pm    ::: Meanwhile in... (misc. games 12/3-12/9) Reply Reply with quote

Meanwhile in the Bronx, the part of G'mrice Davis was played by Mary Goulding with 15 points and 11 rebounds, and the Rams knocked off Pittsburgh 58-55.

Meanwhile in Des Moines, Creighton and Drake played themselves a whole extra half of basketball, with the Bluejays winning 108-100 in quadruple overtime. Three Jays played over 50 minutes.

(now with spelling variations)
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/03/17 8:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know Suzie McConnell-Serio is a local institution and all, and I thought that was a great hire when Pitt got her from Duquesne, but seriously, how much longer can Pitt tolerate this? Other than her second year, which showed great promise, in five years they've gone nowhere. They're horrible again, with losses already to Duquesne, Wisconsin and Fordham. Not a good sign for the upcoming ACC schedule.

Pitt, UVA, BC all need to go hire a serious new coach and start from scratch.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/03/17 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, on a great Sunday, while ND and UConn are facing off, and Stanford and Baylor, and Duke and South Carolina, and Louisville and SD State, and Texas and UGA, and aTm and WVU, Tennessee is at home pounding the bejeezus out of the mighty Alabama State Hornets, and is rightfully relegated to the "misc games" thread. Way to go Lady Vols! Laughing

Howee

PostPosted: 12/03/17 9:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Creighton takes down Drake, 108-100 in FOUR OTs....given the teams, I'd bet it was a great display.

PostPosted: 12/03/17 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Team Playa award to Iowa and there 26 assists on 30 made baskets as they downed Samford. Next up: Battle in the Cattlefields as Iowa takes on Iowa State in Ames.

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/03/17 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Creighton takes down Drake, 108-100 in FOUR OTs....given the teams, I'd bet it was a great display.

I think there's gonna be a bunch of ice baths and hobbling players tomorrow...but then these kids are young. Maybe they can play 50+ without blinking.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 12/03/17 10:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

North Carolina struggle past Appy St. at home. Final score 56-43 doesn't show how close it was most of the game. Somehow I think it's gonna be a long year for them in league.

- Amanda Gorman
Queenie

PostPosted: 12/03/17 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
North Carolina struggle past Appy St. at home. Final score 56-43 doesn't show how close it was most of the game. Somehow I think it's gonna be a long year for them in league.

I dunno. Bottom of the ACC seems pretty wide this year. UNC, Pitt, Wake, BC... from where I'm sitting it looks like there's a pretty clear chasm between the haves and the have-nots. Can the folks in ACC country confirm or deny that?

(now with spelling variations)
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/03/17 11:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I dunno. Bottom of the ACC seems pretty wide this year. UNC, Pitt, Wake, BC... from where I'm sitting it looks like there's a pretty clear chasm between the haves and the have-nots. Can the folks in ACC country confirm or deny that?

I agree that those four teams plus Clemson look bad. UVA, Miami and NCSt may be the disappointments grouped in a big middle with GaTech. That leaves surprising VaTech, Syracuse, Duke, FSU, Louisville and ND to play basketball.

Frankly, I don't know how they're going to find 64 teams next March. Every one of the Power 5 looks shallower than usual to me, and I don't see much strength in the A10, BE, MAC or AAC either. There's going to be a lot of weak teams in the tournament, it appears. The ACC with 5 or six is the deepest but there's no 8 or 9 bids that I see. The Big Ten falls off a cliff after 3, the B12 after 3 or 4, the SEC after 3, the PAC after...what, 4?

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 12/04/17 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
So, on a great Sunday, while ND and UConn are facing off, and Stanford and Baylor, and Duke and South Carolina, and Louisville and SD State, and Texas and UGA, and aTm and WVU, Tennessee is at home pounding the bejeezus [104-51] out of the mighty Alabama State Hornets, and is rightfully relegated to the "misc games" thread. Way to go Lady Vols! Laughing

Lady Vols are in good company there. So Car already played Alabama State (99-31), and Miami is up next on the Hornets schedule. Gotta to give ASU credit for taking on some tough OOC opponents. Very Happy More seriously, I understand why CHW maybe scheduled a couple of extra cupcakes given the untried nature of half the team, but I worry about injuries when these games devolve into free-for-alls with Tenn's already short bench.

Last edited by FrozenLVFan on 12/05/17 10:37 am; edited 2 times in total
summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/04/17 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
So, on a great Sunday, while ND and UConn are facing off, and Stanford and Baylor, and Duke and South Carolina, and Louisville and SD State, and Texas and UGA, and aTm and WVU, Tennessee is at home pounding the bejeezus [104-51] out of the mighty Alabama State Hornets, and is rightfully relegated to the "misc games" thread. Way to go Lady Vols! Laughing

Lady Vols are in good company there. So Car already played Alabama State (99-31), and Miami is up next on the Hornets schedule. Gotta to give ASU credit for taking on some tough OOC opponents. Very Happy More seriously, I understand why CHW maybe scheduled a couple of extra cupcakes given the untried nature of half the team, but I worry about injuries when these games devolve into free-for-alls with Tenn's already short bench.

ASU could be doing what JMU is...scheduling games against tough opponents in an effort to try to learn something and get better. ASU is not in any way on the level of JMU but I do think games like these can help so-called "cupcake" teams improve, even while they are getting beat down. The tapes can show them a lot if their coach knows what s/he is about. Then practice, practice, practice so you don't do that again.....

PostPosted: 12/04/17 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ball State beats Purdue 66-60. Purdue's offense looks even worse than Stanford's...

- Amanda Gorman
mzonefan

PostPosted: 12/04/17 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michigan came out flat at Detroit (understandably so, since they were just in NY on Saturday), had to come from behind to tie at the end of 1Q. Bigs Thome and Brown in foul trouble. Flaherty says, “I got this” and scores 26 points in 26 minutes. Final 86-50. Even the last player off of the beach got 5 minutes.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 12/07/17 3:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gonzaga downed Wazzu in Pullman but leading Zag Jill Barta played only 13 minutes and sustained what may have been an ankle injury. She sat on the bench in a boot the second half.

Zag post Zykera Rice scored 19 points to lead the Zags while Chandler Smith added 11 boards.

I don't expect Wazzu to do much this season.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 12/07/17 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:

Yeah, looks to be a disappointing step back for them.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 12/07/17 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

Yeah, looks to be a disappointing step back for them.

Right. This isn't a particularly strong Zag team: they lack solid point guard play (yes even despite Laura Stocktons pedigree) and outside shooting is suspect. They also are t as deep in the past but they have some decent size for a mid major and Barta is a 💎

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 12/07/17 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Ball State beats Purdue 66-60. Purdue's offense looks even worse than Stanford's...

Damn they must be bad Laughing

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/07/17 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JMU beat Liberty 58-47 at the Convo Center in a rare Wednesday night game. The team was obviously pretty tired after their effort against Florida State, but had their game faces on. It was close at the half, but a strong 3d Q in which they allowed Liberty only 7 points helped. The good news is monster blocking effort from Kayla Cooper-Williams (5) assisted by Kelly Koshuta and Devon Merritt, and the other good news is that Lexie Barrier seems to have found her long-lost shot.

PostPosted: 12/07/17 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Western Carolina over Radford in a thrill packed defensive battle 39-27. Shocked Yes, that is the final score. Wish I could have been there....or not.

- Amanda Gorman
IM in OC

PostPosted: 12/07/17 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NAU beats Arizona by 20+ points

Boise State beats Washington by 20+ points

We know who will be at the bottom of the Pac12 this year.

I saw UW look good vs BYU and be within 10 of tOSU.
I didnt see the whole game tonight but something must be missing. Plus one of Boise's best player was injured in the game.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 12/08/17 12:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Western Carolina over Radford in a thrill packed defensive battle 39-27. :shock: Yes, that is the final score. Wish I could have been there....or not.

A little more info. The score in the 4th quarter was 5-3. The teams shot a combined 25-106 (23.6%) for the game. And my favorite stat is that Radford had 17 TOs and exactly 1 assist. 454 people were fortunate? enough to see the game. This is the lowest scoring DI game of the season and the Catamounts are the first team to win with less than 40 points.

adamj95

PostPosted: 12/09/17 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Former NCC rivals and soon to be Summit League rivals face off today in Grand Forks, ND, the Sioux vs. the Bison. Should be a good game with UND coming away with the win. An interesting note to watch is UND volleyball player Faith Dooley is joining the basketball team and should be available to play today.

PostPosted: 12/09/17 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:
Former NCC rivals and soon to be Summit League rivals face off today in Grand Forks, ND, the Sioux vs. the Bison. Should be a good game with UND coming away with the win. An interesting note to watch is UND volleyball player Faith Dooley is joining the basketball team and should be available to play today.

Only a good game if you're a F'Hawker fan. Won't be close. I remember attending these games in the 80s when the arenas were rocking! In the 90s, the winner of this regional matchup often won the Natty.

adamj95

PostPosted: 12/09/17 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
adamj95 wrote:

Only a good game if you're a F'Hawker fan. Won't be close. I remember attending these games in the 80s when the arenas were rocking! In the 90s, the winner of this regional matchup often won the Natty.

It’s always a good game UND vs NDSU. I miss when they used to play at the Hyslop.

PostPosted: 12/09/17 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What if the divisions had an up and down team at the end of the year like premier league soccer Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: