Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 91, 92, 93  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RavenDog

PostPosted: 12/01/17 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
RavenDog wrote:
myrtle wrote:
ClayK wrote:
I have no strong opinion, but the eye test casts Nurse as a little slow to defend wings in the WNBA -- but then again, everyone seems to agree she's a good defender, so the eye test could be less informative than usual.

She's a really good basketball player, no question, but it seems to me her level of athleticism will determine her pro ceiling.

agree. She does look a bit too slow to become really good in the W. On the other hand she has quite a few of the nec. skills. And sometimes I think she is just being deliberate, rather than slow...so we shall see.

Take Katie Smith's face and hair and transform them to Kia Nurse's body and you have Katie Smith reincarnated. When playing, their form may be different, but the team that drafts her has themselves a Katie Smith.

Someone on this forum said NY is interested in her... I wonder why? Katie's back. All Katie has to do is tell Nurse what to do as she would herself and she's she's ready to go.

Shocked

Katie Smith is one of the best offensive players in the history of the league. That's a serious stretch.

Thanks for your comments.

Offensively, I believe you're right, it was a stretch when my assessment is taken literally. Kia's not going to be a scoring star like Katie Smith because that's not her game. I believe Kia will play in the WNBA the same way she plays at UConn. She's offensively talented but for her to be the Maya Moore, Diana Taurasi, Angel McCaughtry or Katie Smith scoring star of the team that selects her is unrealistic.

Last edited by RavenDog on 12/02/17 3:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 12/02/17 12:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Senior Watch: First Impressions
http://www.wnba.com/news/senior-watch-first-impressions/amp/

Quote:
Now that we’re two weeks into the college season and most players have at least five games under their belt, we can see which players have made the best first impressions.

Kelsey Mitchell, Ohio State, Guard, 5-8
There’s no better player to start with than Ohio State guard Kelsey Mitchell, who last week set the NCAA record for career 3-pointers made. Mitchell currently leads the NCAA in scoring at 27.8 points per game, which is a five-point improvement from her junior season average. But its not just how many points she’s scored, but how she’s done it. Through eight games, Mitchell is shooting 50% from the field and 47.8% (36-77) from beyond the arc – both well above her career averages of 43.4 and 38.1, respectively.

A’ja Wilson, South Carolina, Forward, 6-5
With Allisha Gray and Kaela Davis having graduated from last year’s NCAA championship team at South Carolina to first round picks in the WNBA draft, the spotlight is shining brightly on senior forward A’ja Wilson. Through seven games, the athletic post has responded with averages of 23.9 points (6th in NCAA), 11.7 rebounds (13th in the NCAA) and 3.7 blocks (4th in NCAA) as the Gamecocks have opened the season at 6-1. Those are all major improvements from a year ago – scoring up six points per game, rebounding up by four per game and an extra block per game.

Kia Nurse, Connecticut, Guard, 6-0
When it comes to evaluating UConn players, numbers never tell the full story. With a roster loaded with talent – this year’s team features six of the 50 players on the Naismith Watch list – there is a balance to their attack. The Huskies have six players averaging between 12.2 and 16.5 points per game as they continue to rack up wins night after night. Nurse does lead the Huskies in two key categories – minutes played (32.Cool and 3-point percentage (58.6%, 7th in NCAA). In UConn’s win over Nevada on Tuesday, Nurse scored a game-high 27 points and shot a perfect 8-for-8 from beyond the arc.

Gabby Williams, Connecticut, Forward, 5-11
UConn’s do-everything forward continues to stuff the stat sheet in the first six games of her senior season. She is averaging 12.2 points, 8.5 rebounds and 3.2 steals while shooting a team-best 59.3 percent from the field. The defensive standout scored a season-high 18 points in UConn’s win over Nevada on Tuesday in a homecoming for the Sparks, Nevada native.

Jordin Canada, UCLA, Guard, 5-6
Canada opened the season with her second career triple-double as she finished with 26 points, 10 rebounds and 11 steals in UCLA’s win over San Jose State. The Bruins are 6-1 to open the season with a win over then third-ranked Baylor and their only loss coming to top-ranked UConn. In the win over Baylor, Canada shined with 20 points and 13 assists to lead the seventh-ranked Bruins to a 82-68 win.

Monique Billings, UCLA, Forward, 6-4
The Bruins have a solid one-two punch with Canada in the backcourt and Monique Billings in the frontcourt. The 6-4 forward is averaging 15.7 points and 9.0 rebounds through seven games and has scored in double figures in all seven contests. Billings has the athleticism and versatility that will make her an asset to any WNBA team. She can run with an uptempo team and score in transition, but can also take care of business in the paint when things slow down.

Victoria Vivians, Mississippi State, Guard, 6-1
There is so much of Victoria Vivians’ game to love, but one knock against her has been her shooting percentages. The leading scorer from last year’s Cinderella team that knocked off UConn in the Final Four, entered her senior season with career averages of 37.4 percent shooting from the field and 30.5 percent from beyond the arc. Through seven games of her senior campaign, she is averaging a career best 18.4 points and shooting career-high across the board – 51.1 percent from the field, 37.8 percent from three and 80.6 percent from the free throw line.

Katelynn Flaherty, Michigan, Guard, 5-7
We close out this edition of the senior watch with our eighth player, who just happens to be the eighth-leading scorer in college basketball – Michigan guard Katelynn Flaherty. The 5-7 guard is averaging 23.7 points through the Wolverines’ first six games of the season to go with 4.7 assists and 2.7 rebounds. Flaherty struggled with her shot in Michigan’s loss to third-ranked Notre Dame on Wednesday, but did dish a season-high eight assists.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 12/02/17 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She's been balling... shoots .420 from the three

allenleavell

PostPosted: 12/03/17 1:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
She's been balling... shoots .420 from the three

She a really good player. She would do good with Vegas or Wings. They both need a combo forward with a HI basketball IQ.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 12/03/17 2:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
So Lexi Brown is basically having another 50/40/90 season, she’s an elite level shooter and can create her own shot from 3, I would take her over Mitchell right now, I don’t think she’ll last past number 6.

Her numbers at Duke are certainly impressive. Is she a legitimate point guard prospect at the next level rather than just a scorer? If the top four go as some combination of Wilson/DeShields/Mitchell/Williams (or others), I wonder if Seattle could see Brown/Loyd as their eventual backcourt when Bird finally walks off into the sunset. After Wilson it seems like they might be reaching if they only looked at true bigs at #5.

Yea lexi will be gone by 5. Seattle needs her peterson is not the answer!

I wouldn’t mind Dallas taking her at 6, I think she could play alongside Diggins in the backcourt, move Davis and keep Powers in a backup role. I noticed Fred has been at a few Uconn games, maybe he’s targeting Williams.

I like chong for some odd reason. She doesn't turn the ball.over shes a keeper. Williams is a player we could use on pick and roll defense down low too bad she cant play center ugh. Never mind no to gabby in A wing uniform.

PostPosted: 12/03/17 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Stevens declares I take her number 1.

toad455

PostPosted: 12/03/17 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Williams hasn't looked her best recently. Could she slip outside of a lottery pick?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 12/03/17 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Williams hasn't looked her best recently. Could she slip outside of a lottery pick?

She was suffering from a migraine today. She still had 5 reb and 5 ast.

Shades

PostPosted: 12/03/17 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kia Nurse currently has 13 consecutive 3-pointers over the past three games. The NCAA record is 14.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 12/03/17 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I dont think gabby is a lottery pick anymore. Too many question marks still unanswered four years later. Stevens will be a project but i also think she needs another year to develope I think the hype has gotten to her a bit but still very talented!

PostPosted: 12/03/17 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Williams could still go #4 to Chicago. I don't see DeShields being any better and Williams seems to have more potential. With Stevens, I'd have:

1.) Las Vegas - A. Wilson
2.) Indiana - A. Stevens
3.) Chicago - K. Mitchell
4.) Chicago - G. Williams
5.) Seattle - L. Brown
6.) Dallas - D. DeShields

If McCowan declares, then it really shakes things up.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 12/03/17 10:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
I dont think gabby is a lottery pick anymore. Too many question marks still unanswered four years later. Stevens will be a project but i also think she needs another year to develope I think the hype has gotten to her a bit but still very talented!

Collier looks like the best future WNBA player on this current UConn roster at the moment.
TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 12/03/17 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

Dude....she was suffering from a migraine. Thank goodness GMs don’t base their opinions on one game. How many mediocre showings has DeShields had? Yet you seem to love her. I guess the “hype” got to her too considering she never played up to it.

sigur3

PostPosted: 12/03/17 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Williams could still go #4 to Chicago. I don't see DeShields being any better and Williams seems to have more potential. With Stevens, I'd have:

1.) Las Vegas - A. Wilson
2.) Indiana - A. Stevens
3.) Chicago - K. Mitchell
4.) Chicago - G. Williams
5.) Seattle - L. Brown
6.) Dallas - D. DeShields

If McCowan declares, then it really shakes things up.

fuck yes. gimme gimme gimme

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 12/04/17 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No fan of the Dallas Wings should throw disrespectful shade at Gabby Williams being unworthy of a lottery pick. Dallas drafted EVELYN AKHATOR with the third pick of the 2017 draft. Let's not forget they traded their previous lottery pick after just one season. GLORIOUS!

PostPosted: 12/04/17 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not sure what some of you are watching but both Stevens and Colliers defense was atrocious against Notre Dame, how many lay ups did they give up, and yet you say you wouldn't take Williams who is currently suffering from migraine issues but has proved she is the most athletic and better defender than both of them. I throw my hands in the air and it's not for a hallelujah Laughing

Shades

PostPosted: 12/04/17 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

Collier looks like the best future WNBA player on this current UConn roster at the moment.

Pffft.... she's on the short and skinny side for a WNBA PF. She does have good energy, so if you're saying she's the next Sophia Young, we'll have to wait and see on that.

I do think Collier will be capable of playing at a WNBL MVP level in the future, as the #36 pick in the 2014 draft is currently doing.

Last edited by Shades on 12/04/17 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 12/04/17 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes yes and the record gets old. Wink

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 12/04/17 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="zune69"][quote="bballjunkie"]
[b]a short 6 footer. Well compared to who? [/b][/quote]

Compared to her teammate Gabby Williams.....Gabby is listed at 5'11 while Nurse is listed at 6'0..Gabby IMO has a bigger frame,longer wingspan,greater reach,and is slightly taller.

Maya's 6'0...

[img]https://today.uconn.edu/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/WBB-Olympic-UConn.jpg[/img][/quote]

I should have been more specific, sorry, I was referring to the defense of Nurse. The height thing is crazy as by most standards she is a big guard and can guard guards. She is currently having a great year.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 12/04/17 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

+1 , Toad how can you say Deshields wont be any better ? She has highest potential to be the best player out of this entire class . #Hater Laughing

PostPosted: 12/04/17 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Senior Watch: First Impressions
http://www.wnba.com/news/senior-watch-first-impressions/amp/

This is the type of fluff piece that literally tells us nothing outside of a box score and does not offer any susbtantive analysis.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 12/04/17 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I saw a Uconn fan call Gabby the female Kawhi Leonard, I think that's a good comparison for her. Yes Gabby isn't a outside shooter yet, but If she puts the work in, she could be the best 2way player in the WNBA in a few seasons.

I could see that, but there are also a whole host of players on the other side of the 'can they learn to shoot after being drafted?' ledger. Leonard became a really good outside shooter, and that's a big part of how effective he became as an offensive player. Some just can't do it, even if they do work really hard on it, and that would put a different ceiling on Williams as a player.

Gabby is a truly elite prospect, in terms of sheer athleticism, leaping ability, lateral speed and front/back speed.

For her size and position, she is an excellent rebounder, very good passer/playmaker, great slasher, and a tremendous open court threat.

But if after four years under Geno Auriemma, she still cannot develop a consistent outside shot, I have concerns. Her mid-range jumper is better, but she still cannot hit free throws at a good percentage.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 12/04/17 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
So Lexi Brown is basically having another 50/40/90 season, she’s an elite level shooter and can create her own shot from 3, I would take her over Mitchell right now, I don’t think she’ll last past number 6.

Her numbers at Duke are certainly impressive. Is she a legitimate point guard prospect at the next level rather than just a scorer? If the top four go as some combination of Wilson/DeShields/Mitchell/Williams (or others), I wonder if Seattle could see Brown/Loyd as their eventual backcourt when Bird finally walks off into the sunset. After Wilson it seems like they might be reaching if they only looked at true bigs at #5.

Brown is not a true W PG. She is a scoring guard who can handle and pass and is a secondary facilitator, but she is not a primary playmaker.

Alexis Jones is more of a PG than Lexi Brown, to use a Duke comparison.

Now, pair her with someone just like her who is more of a PG or who can at least be a primary playmaker, and she will be just fine.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 12/04/17 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
I saw a Uconn fan call Gabby the female Kawhi Leonard, I think that's a good comparison for her. Yes Gabby isn't a outside shooter yet, but If she puts the work in, she could be the best 2way player in the WNBA in a few seasons.

I could see that, but there are also a whole host of players on the other side of the 'can they learn to shoot after being drafted?' ledger. Leonard became a really good outside shooter, and that's a big part of how effective he became as an offensive player. Some just can't do it, even if they do work really hard on it, and that would put a different ceiling on Williams as a player.

Gabby is a truly elite prospect, in terms of sheer athleticism, leaping ability, lateral speed and front/back speed.

For her size and position, she is an excellent rebounder, very good passer/playmaker, great slasher, and a tremendous open court threat.

But if after four years under Geno Auriemma, she still cannot develop a consistent outside shot, I have concerns. Her mid-range jumper is better, but she still cannot hit free throws at a good percentage.

As an aside, Williams' success will be dependent on that outside shot, but also on fit. Pairing her as a SF on a team with shooting from 1-2 and 4-5 would be ideal.

This is why i think Chicago would be an excellent fit. First, it feels a need. It adds a truly athletic presence to a team that has shooting from four players on the floor. I think she will add a much needed defensive presence and rebounding.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/04/17 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Brown is not a true W PG. She is a scoring guard who can handle and pass and is a secondary facilitator, but she is not a primary playmaker.

Alexis Jones is more of a PG than Lexi Brown, to use a Duke comparison.

Now, pair her with someone just like her who is more of a PG or who can at least be a primary playmaker, and she will be just fine.

Cam I think a pretty fair comparison for Brown is Jasmine Thomas, who learned to be a PG from combo guard.

Thoughts?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 91, 92, 93  Next
Page 28 of 93

Jump to: