RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Ohio St @ Duke - 11/30/17
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win this game?
Ohio St
66%
 66%  [ 8 ]
Duke
33%
 33%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 12

tfan

PostPosted: 12/01/17 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan

PostPosted: 12/01/17 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan

PostPosted: 12/01/17 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Courtesy: Duke Sports Information
Release: 11/30/2017

#8 Ohio State at #14 Duke
Postgame Notes

Nov. 30, 2017

With the Duke Victory
* Totaled its 20th win over the last 21 home games in Cameron
* Improved to 4-0 at home in Cameron Indoor Stadium this season
* Won its eighth straight game against a ranked opponent in Cameron, including three against top 10 teams
* Coach P posted her 16th win in Cameron against a top 10 ranked team
* Improved to 2-0 all-time against Ohio State with both wins coming in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge
* Is now 69-52 all-time against Big Ten teams
* Coach P moved to 99-69 against Big Ten opponents
* Moved to 9-2 all-time in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge, including 6-0 at home
* Coach P is now only five wins away from reaching 600 career victories

Redshirt Senior Rebecca Greenwell
* Collected 19 points and four rebounds
* Is now two three-pointers away from breaking Tricia Liston’s all-time Duke mark of 252 as she owns 251
* With her two three-pointers made on the evening, moved into a tie for 14th place on Duke’s all-time charts
* Went past the 1,600-point mark and now owns 1,603 points

Redshirt Senior Lexie Brown
* Collected 19 points, five rebounds and two assists
* Hit 4-of-7 treys, matching a season high
* Started the game off with 13 points and three rebounds, while hitting 3-of-4 treys in the first quarter

Sophomore Leaonna Odom
* Pulled down a career-high 13 rebounds
* Had six points and tied a career high four blocked shots

Redshirt Sophomore Haley Gorecki
* Tied a career high with 11 points and added four assists
* Pulled down a career-high seven rebounds
* Collected 10 points, five rebounds, two assists in the first half
* Tallied only her third career double-digit scoring game

Senior Erin Mathias
* Notched her second career double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds
* Snapped a streak of four games without scoring double-figures
* Posted 10 points, six rebounds, two assists and one block in 17 first half minutes
* Had a huge first quarter hitting 3-4 field goals, grabbing four rebounds, two assists and one block, while scoring six points. She had a tap-in at the buzzer
* Had double-figure points for only the sixth time in her career

Other Duke Notes
* Is now 179-8 under Coach P when holding opponents to 60 points or under
* Held Ohio State to a season-low 60 points and 32.4 percent shooting
* Outrebounded Ohio State, 69-60
* Held Ohio State to only eight fourth quarter points
* Registered a season-high 21 turnovers
* Held without a field goal for the final 6:47 of third period. Had a 52-35 lead at the 6:47 * mark. Ended the third quarter leading 57-52.
* Opened the game hitting 57.9 percent from the field (11-19) and 57.1 percent from downtown (4-7).
* Outscored OSU, 36-18, in the paint
* Will next travel to fifth-ranked South Carolina Sunday, Dec. 3 for a 12 p.m., tip live on SEC Network. It will mark the second straight game against a top 10 ranked opponent.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 12/01/17 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Matthias had a great first quarter and while I know tOSU doesn't play defense, she could become more consistent offensively and that would help Duke in an if way.

Major defense from Odom. She's a weird matchup but Brings something to this Duke team they may not have had since Bridget Mitchell in that she is long and plays explosive defense.

There are Tricia Liston-sequel opportunities for a player like Gorecki on this team.

Linnea Harper is a little beastie on the boards.

Will Duke get Lambert back? Also I think the Bego Experience has run its course.

goforit77

PostPosted: 12/01/17 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Matthias had a great first quarter and while I know tOSU doesn't play defense, she could become more consistent offensively and that would help Duke in an if way.

Major defense from Odom. She's a weird matchup but Brings something to this Duke team they may not have had since Bridget Mitchell in that she is long and plays explosive defense.

There are Tricia Liston-sequel opportunities for a player like Gorecki on this team.

Linnea Harper is a little beastie on the boards.

Will Duke get Lambert back? Also I think the Bego Experience has run its course.

No Lambert has redshirted this year...A wise move

willtalk

PostPosted: 12/01/17 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
In a matchup of shitty coaches, PMac > KMc.

Let's re-phrase that a little: KMc < JPM. Didn't realize there was any coach below her but apparently there is one.

There seems to be a connection between KMc and JPM. That connection is Gail Goestenkors. JPM was hired to replace Gail and KMc was hired at Ohio St instead of Gail. They have the positions some people might feel she deserves.

Having spent a lot of time years ago on the Duke womens basketball site there were quite a few things that became very evident. Gail had an intense following of loyal fans. When she left it created an outpouring of emotion and resentment towards the AC whom they blamed for her leaving. Although she did sign a huge contract with Texas which Duke would not ever consider matching. To her loyal fans she left because the AD forced her out and it was never considered that she left for the huge contract.

The negativity that revolved around Gails leaving stayed and festered long after she was gone. You have got to give credit to Goestenkor for the degree of loyalty she inspired in the people around her. Unfortunately it seemed that that loyalty for Goestenkor and the hatred for the AD transferred over to JPM. Why because the fans wanted Goestenkor and not being able to hate the AD who also left they emotionally projected that anger towards his hire. Especially since in many ways she was her opposite.

I have always not had a dog in this race and only tried to remain objective, but even objectivity was seen as taking sides. The negativity on the Duke site became so bad, and not wanting to be pulled in farther, I left and never posted again. There is a difference between logical criticism and emotional and agenda driven negativity. That sort of negativity does no one any good, especially those that are involved. It not only destroys objectivity but damages the soul. Nothing is worth those sort of consequences, especially not for a college sport. Sports are supposed to offer a positive emotional release not fester negativity.

We can often see destruction and chaos left in the wake of people who's intentions were initially nothing but good.

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/01/17 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:

Notice Kelsey in the background on the floor? During the Stanford game the announcer talked about how he's never seen a player pretending to be hurt so often as her. If anybody comes anywhere close she's down in that position. (of course he was the Stanford announcer but they actually did a review a couple of times to see if she was hit and it was both times totally phantom).

- Amanda Gorman
bucks4now

PostPosted: 12/01/17 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

Let's re-phrase that a little: KMc < JPM. Didn't realize there was any coach below her but apparently there is one.

There seems to be a connection between KMc and JPM. That connection is Gail Goestenkors. JPM was hired to replace Gail and KMc was hired at Ohio St instead of Gail. They have the positions some people might feel she deserves.

Gail turned down the Ohio State job, long before Kevin was in the picture. She was interviewed and pulled her name out. I watched this closely.

goforit77

PostPosted: 12/01/17 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:
willtalk wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

Gail turned down the Ohio State job, long before Kevin was in the picture. She was interviewed and pulled her name out. I watched this closely.

GG has said that she has no desire to coach college BB again...The politics and recruiting changes have soured her...She doesn't need the $$ or the hassles

goforit77

PostPosted: 12/01/17 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

Having spent a lot of time years ago on the Duke womens basketball site there were quite a few things that became very evident. Gail had an intense following of loyal fans. When she left it created an outpouring of emotion and resentment towards the AC whom they blamed for her leaving. Although she did sign a huge contract with Texas which Duke would not ever consider matching. To her loyal fans she left because the AD forced her out and it was never considered that she left for the huge contract.

The negativity that revolved around Gails leaving stayed and festered long after she was gone. You have got to give credit to Goestenkor for the degree of loyalty she inspired in the people around her. Unfortunately it seemed that that loyalty for Goestenkor and the hatred for the AD transferred over to JPM. Why because the fans wanted Goestenkor and not being able to hate the AD who also left they emotionally projected that anger towards his hire. Especially since in many ways she was her opposite.

I have always not had a dog in this race and only tried to remain objective, but even objectivity was seen as taking sides. The negativity on the Duke site became so bad, and not wanting to be pulled in farther, I left and never posted again. There is a difference between logical criticism and emotional and agenda driven negativity. That sort of negativity does no one any good, especially those that are involved. It not only destroys objectivity but damages the soul. Nothing is worth those sort of consequences, especially not for a college sport. Sports are supposed to offer a positive emotional release not fester negativity.

We can often see destruction and chaos left in the wake of people who's intentions were initially nothing but good.

Its not all Duke fans...Just a select few who also post on this board...This is pretty spot on though....We Duke fans also conveniently forget how we were becoming discontented with GG's failure to win the natty.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 12/01/17 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From everything I hear JPM is pretty wacky, only like by a few of her fav players, the majority don’t like her. However, I think the assistant Planells has done a masterful job of keeping some calm around the wacky ness.

awhom111

PostPosted: 12/01/17 10:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

I don't usually post about this sort of thing, but there items in this post that are absolutely not true. Duke's final counter-offer fully matched Texas's offer.

As goforit77 suggests, I'm not sure you have a full reading on the Duke fanbase at the time and have compressed a few things. There was a lot of outrage in the period between when interest became public and her leaving as you suggest in part due to public statements from the AD that did not suggest that he wanted her back (the President stepped in himself to try to get her to stay with support from others in the academic administration). There was less outrage when people knew that the offers were the same and that she made her choice, especially as goforit77 mentioned after the ways the last two season ended. All of the other discontent that you mention happened well after that.
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 12/01/17 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

My feelings about JPM have NOTHING whatsoever to do with my love for Coach G. JPM earned my dislike all on her own. When JPM was hired, Abby met with her and received assurance that coach would design plays to the strengths of current players. That absolutely did not happen. I began hearing massive numbers of stories from all Duke parents at games. When I heard exact same stories from different sources (at different times), these stories made me sick to my stomach. The games became close to unwatchable due to lack of anything new on offense. Only Chelsea Gray made it worth attending games. My last game attended in Cameron was against Notre Dame. The Duke players looked so sad and unwilling to compete for this coach. Then came the stories about JPM competing on the senior tennis circuit and was spending all her time on the tennis courts instead of game planning or seeking out coaching ideas from other coaches - as all the great coaches do.

No matter what happened with the actual contract offered Coach G, the fact remained she was openly unappreciated at Duke. How else do you explain making openly negative remarks about the coach who got Duke to FOUR FF's in 8 years, including two NC games. And yet the coach who's gotten Duke to ZERO FF's in ten years is retained despite the fact that a great player stuck her neck out to tell the President exactly how bad morale was in the program and why.

Yes, I love Coach G. Her brand of basketball was exciting. The players loved her (not all players, but the ones who didn't were a minority). Coach G wrote handwritten letters to loyal fans facing hardships.

As a longtime Duke fan, I initially was totally ready to support the new coach. The combination of being a boring coach with unimaginative plays plus extensive reports of openly disrespecting the players PLUS the insipidly middle school tweets about all the Asst Coaches who left was what doomed her for me.

I am perfectly capable of loving a former coach and allowing myself to grow to like and enjoy the new coach. You think I didn't want to keep attending games taking place over my back fence? It was JPM who earned the dislike of her. And you can check attendance figures to see how many disgruntled fans there are. Compared to JPM's earlier years at Duke, the average crowds are almost half what they were, with crowds peaking during Chelsea Gray's years.

She's an embarrassment to women's basketball. Period. There is not one wbb journalist who will say one positive thing about her - on or off the court. She's treated the journalists the same way she treats the players. Plus her style of play is boring. There's really nothing to like. Except fans of other ACC teams who know Duke is not a threat to win the ACC while JPM is there, now that Duke is no longer getting top recruiting classes.

I speak for a large contingent of former Duke wbb fans. Just because they don't come here does not mean they don't exist. They're simply dispersed, following men's bb, or other women's sports at Duke. Such as the soccer team who just played in the College Cup (equivalent of bb's Final Four) tonight.

Attempts to simplify dislike of JPM with "she's not the beloved Coach G" are seriously misinformed and misleading. We don't like JPM because she's a weak person and less than elite coach and we'd rather watch paint dry than spend a dime watching her coach a team. And she'd rather work on her personal tennis game that work on improving as a coach. She gets close to $1M and puts forth minimal effort.

~rAf
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/02/17 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Every day, 4:30 sharp, she punches her timecard, heads home, pops a cold Bud, and leans back in her La-Z-Boy for an evening of sitcoms.

Must be nice. Rolling Eyes

SDHoops

PostPosted: 12/02/17 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GG had thee national championship team in 2004. Two Final Fours in prior years, this was their year..then a dynamic duo of Whalen and McCarville came in and spoiled that plan. Okay somewhat forgivable. 2006 was their next year..after Maryland beat UNC in the semis this was all Duke, right? A team of seniors with Final Four experience couldn't lose to a baby team..and with a 4 point lead with just over a minute left, there was no way right? Well...it ended terribly. Okay Coach G, the rabbits in your hat are running out. 2007 is a somewhat surprising undefeated regular season, #1 ranking, #1 seed. This has got to be the year right? Nobody else separated themselves from the pack..well this time it came even earlier in the Sweet 16 against Rutgers.

Amidst all of the speculation in above posts, did anyone ever consider that maybe Coach G saw the writing on the wall? With Summitt and Auriemma, as well as Hatchell and Stringer, still at their peaks, Duke looked to fade. Duke wasn't even in the running for the Delle Donne, Moore, etc type players and it's been noted that Beard was a God send. Yes Coach G was a great coach in her time and pulled off one of the greatest upsets in NCAA tourney history in 1999..but this is Division I ball. It is a 'what have you done for me lately?' business. She deserves the respect for building Duke to the point that anything less than a Final Four was a failure...but she did have a shot at Texas. One of her former assistants was fired from Oregon State for abuse allegations. Idk if her coaching tree has been as successful as other coaches..so before we sing her the holier than thou praises, I as an objective poster in this case, will remind fellow posters of what went wrong from a purely competitive standpoint with Coach G. Joanne is a head case, no denying that..but would Gail really do that much better?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: