RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Indiana Fever 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richyyy

PostPosted: 11/29/17 3:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's a genuinely growing phenomenon, with star players and teams, and high-profile sponsors pumping money into it. TV channels have already started to broadcast it (plus obviously the fanbase is younger and more tech-savvy so they'll happily watch via more modern methods).

Search 'esports' anywhere and you'll find all manner of articles and details.

PostPosted: 11/29/17 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
It's a genuinely growing phenomenon, with star players and teams, and high-profile sponsors pumping money into it. TV channels have already started to broadcast it (plus obviously the fanbase is younger and more tech-savvy so they'll happily watch via more modern methods).

Search 'esports' anywhere and you'll find all manner of articles and details.

I think the key is that those who grew up playing video games will appreciate those who play the games well, and be able to make sense of what's happening on the screen.

Those, like me, who only wish they grew up when video games were around, will likely find it hard to grasp what's going on.

PostPosted: 11/29/17 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.ibj.com/blogs/4-the-score/post/66460-roundup-esports-effort-shakes-up-pacers-exec-ranks-indy-500-trophy-going-japanese

Quote:
Fever boss dropping GM role to focus on Pacers’ esports team

Indiana Fever President Kelly Krauskopf was recently named senior vice president overseeing Pacers Sports & Entertainment’s not-yet-named esports team.

Because that job is taking up an increasing amount of her time, Krauskopf will turn over her general manager duties to Fever head coach Pokey Chatman.

Krauskopf has been the architect and primary leader of PS&E’s WNBA franchise since its first season in 2000, and has served as GM since 2003 when free agency began in the league. She remains as Fever president.

The Pacers esports team will play in the NBA’s 17-team NBA2K League, which is set to tip off in May.

The team, Krauskopf said, is set to draft a roster of five video-game players in mid-March and convene its team for training in April.

“[Pacers President] Rick Fuson and [team owner] Herb Simon—who gave me this [esports] opportunity saw that my professional experience from building and leading a franchise on the WNBA side was an asset,” Krauskopf told IBJ of her new role.

“I have been researching and learning about the industry for the past year. Meeting with stakeholders, talking with teams that are already invested in esports gave me great insight into how to prepare setting up the business. I have a tremendous amount of energy around building a franchise—particularly one in a league that is led by the NBA," Krauskopf said.

Initially, the Pacers-backed esports team will only play the basketball video game in competition. The first year will consist of a 14-game schedule and possibly some in-season tournaments.

Krauskopf told IBJ that the Pacers’ esports franchise could expand into other esports games.

“With the rapid growth projections of the industry, we are also looking at [expansion] from a long-term perspective,” she said.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/29/17 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Intel and AMD continue to invest billions in cutting edge processors that are useful for basically nothing other than gaming PCs. I assure you, unless you're a hard core gamer or a professional video editor you have no need whatsoever for a PC with a $900 12 core processor, a pair of $800 video cards, and liquid cooling. Four or five thousand dollar PCs with 32 inch 4k UHD monitors. That stuff is all being designed and built for gamers. The rest of us already have way more machine than we need with a nice $500 i3 machine with integrated graphics for our word processing, spreadsheets, video collection, Instagram, Facebook and surfing the internet.

Eventually the technology will trickle down to the $79 general market processors.

There are quite a few egaming competitions already shown on TV.

How soon until the NCAA gets involved?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 11/29/17 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

With all the best players taking part in competitions with monetary prizes from pretty early ages, that seems like it could get complicated.

PostPosted: 11/29/17 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Probably never. These guys are playing for money long before they reach college age.

PostPosted: 11/29/17 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Probably never. These guys are playing for money long before they reach college age.

If the NCAA and colleges can figure out how to make money off of esports, a little thing like paying athletes won't stop them. After all, it's the way things work already ...

PostPosted: 11/29/17 6:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm shocked there is going to be a draft for gamers. This clearly seems like a move by the NBA to restrain the trade and limit the opportunities for gamers. Don't see why they would go along with it, unless the NBA is going to pay them a lot more than they make now.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/29/17 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I'm shocked there is going to be a draft for gamers. This clearly seems like a move by the NBA to restrain the trade and limit the opportunities for gamers. Don't see why they would go along with it, unless the NBA is going to pay them a lot more than they make now.
i

I would think a hookup with the NBA would provide a legitimacy and broader fanbase and create that opportunity for a LOT more money to be made by everyone involved.

Also, I think a lot of the competitions today are shooters, not sports games, so there is probably an opportunity.

Randy

PostPosted: 11/29/17 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess eventually there will be a gamers collective bargaining agreement. Laughing

pilight

PostPosted: 11/29/17 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
I am trying to wrap my head around this: It makes money? Do people pay to watch people play video games?

My mind is blown.

There's a whole online industry of people streaming play throughs of various games.

People watch people play poker on TV. It can't be any less exciting than that.

PostPosted: 11/30/17 5:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
sigur3 wrote:
Chatman Becomes Fever GM, Krauskopf to Run Esports Franchise

http://fever.wnba.com/news/chatman-becomes-fever-gm-krauskopf-to-run-esports-franchise/

Quote:
Due to increased responsibilities leading Pacers Sports & Entertainment’s new entry into the NBA2K League, Kelly Krauskopf, president and general manager of the Indiana Fever, will relinquish her GM role to Fever head coach Pokey Chatman.

What?

Is this seriously a thing?

Yep. It's the NBA's effort to get in on the developing esports thing, which is becoming very popular and making a lot of money. Over half the teams in the NBA are entering teams in the 2K league, starting next year.

Not a great look for the WNBA though. One of the longest-tenured and most respected GMs in the league is stepping down to concentrate on putting together a bunch of videogamers to play virtual basketball.

I am trying to wrap my head around this: It makes money? Do people pay to watch people play video games?

My mind is blown.

A bunch of NBA franchises have invested into League of Legends team recently. The competition adapted a franchise model and the buy-in was a million dollars iirc. People don't need to pay to watch though, money's mostly from sponsorships and stuff.

As for the NCAA stuff, I heard Gordon Hayward had issues because of participating in minor tournaments...

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 11/30/17 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

24 pts on 26 shots for your supposed #2 pick tonight in a loss. Always remember #DiamondsAreForever

PostPosted: 11/30/17 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
24 pts on 26 shots for your supposed #2 pick tonight in a loss. Always remember #DiamondsAreForever

Make that 28 shots and id bet 20 were 3 pt Jacks Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 11/30/17 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

Yes, please let Mitchell drop to #3!!

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 11/30/17 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

I Wont complain. My dream is for All teams picking before my wings to forget she exists and let diamond fall to #6 and we trade KCK & Glory for #1 and Draft Aja Also then camb*tch comes to town and fries the whole league for thinking my Wings were a joke Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 12/01/17 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's too bad there are not two A'ja's in the Draft so Indy could have one too.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 12/01/17 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

If, say, Wilson/Williams go 1-2, I feel like someone needs to be keeping a careful watch on sigur3 when DeShields goes at #3...

PostPosted: 12/24/17 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Former Temple player Candice Dupree, center, holds up the frame for her retired number with family and friends around her during halftime of an NCAA college basketball game against South Carolina, Thursday, Dec. 21, 2017, in Philadelphia. (AP Photo/Chris Szagola)

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 12/24/17 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good call for them to honor Dupree during a game where Coach Staley was also there.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
bballgrl

PostPosted: 12/25/17 12:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The babies are cute and Bonner looks good.

miller40

PostPosted: 12/29/17 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dupree is signing with the Fever again is the latest rumor I heard from Naptown this week.

Shades

PostPosted: 12/29/17 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
Dupree is signing with the Fever again is the latest rumor I heard from Naptown this week.

Not a surprise, now how are they going to secure Bonner? Noooooo..... not #2.

How about January (so she can return to her roots) and #14 (still good players will be available) for Bonner.

I know that leaves PHX overflowing with PG's and most PHX fans probably want Ferocious Little Bunny starting. Maybe a trade like this could domino into trading DRob and reuniting her with Hughes in SEA. DRob for Clark? Or maybe trade Ferocious for one of CON's overstock at post. Miller was quite effusive over her defense and ability to set screens.

I dunno..... I have a feeling this off season is gonna hold plenty of movement and surprises.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
miller40

PostPosted: 12/29/17 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
miller40 wrote:

Not a surprise, now how are they going to secure Bonner? Noooooo..... not #2.

How about January (so she can return to her roots) and #14 (still good players will be available) for Bonner.

I know that leaves PHX overflowing with PG's and most PHX fans probably want Ferocious Little Bunny starting. Maybe a trade like this could domino into trading DRob and reuniting her with Hughes in SEA. DRob for Clark? Or maybe trade Ferocious for one of CON's overstock at post. Miller was quite effusive over her defense and ability to set screens.

I dunno..... I have a feeling this off season is gonna hold plenty of movement and surprises.

I've also been told this upcoming season will be January's last due to all the injuries she's accumulated, and she'd like to spend it in Indiana (and that she considered retiring at the end of this last season). Not that that necessarily impacts the idea of a trade for Bonner, but it leaves the possibility of January just retiring rather than move on to a team she doesn't want to play on. But who knows.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/02/18 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So they gave away their second round pick for Kayla Alexander. Interesting move eh?

- Amanda Gorman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 2 of 13

Jump to: