RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Random thoughts after watching some 04 playoff games

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keegan

PostPosted: 04/22/05 8:11 am    ::: Random thoughts after watching some 04 playoff games Reply Reply with quote

Only got the tapes today (the joys of surface mail) of 2004 playoff games I couldn't get on ESPN (many thanks to Cam). Tonight, I watched Sac @ L.A game 2 and Min @ Sea Game 2. Just some random thoughts:

* Kamila Vodichkova. I actually think Seattle will be better off without her if Burse is healthy. She got repeatedly beat on D by Ohlde (I think Anne should have played LJ more on Ohlde) and while she was aggressive, she kept missing her layups. Burse showed some impressive flashes of play but has to stop fouling. I like her agility and with her and LJ on the floor, Seattle should run like the wind. Still, I'm glad the Merc picked up Special K because #1 she is physical and #2 she can rebound. Then again, almost anything is an upgrade over Bobo (sorry Bobo)

* Vanessa Hayden has a future in this league. However, she needs to do A LOT of work. Lesson #1 - shooting over LJ isn't going to get you anywhere. You have to take it *at* her.

* Amber Jacobs reminds me of Kristi a bit... except unlike the frugal Kristi, she's got turnovers spilling out of her everywhere.

* Betty Lennox needs to improve her defensive fundamentals. Seattle will miss Tully's defensive energy a lot.

* Helen Darling has "headless chicken" syndrome.

* Dixon needs to shut up. Fortunately, she could back up whatever she was saying in this game.

* Mabika needs to stop channeling D-Nasty.

* Walker needs to remember that less is more.

Next up: Probably some Eastern Conference games. I really want to see Whalen play some more.
pilight

PostPosted: 04/22/05 8:41 am    ::: Re: Random thoughts after watching some 04 playoff games Reply Reply with quote

Keegan wrote:
* Kamila Vodichkova. I actually think Seattle will be better off without her if Burse is healthy.

If she had gone to the east, you might be right. Relatively speaking, it's a net loss. Burse/Batgirl vs Vodichkova isn't as much of an advantage for the Storm over the Merc as Burse/Vodichkova vs Bobo/Whichever 6'2 PF draws the short straw.

Letting Vodi go isn't the issue so much as letting her go to a conference rival that desperately needed someone like her.

PostPosted: 04/22/05 1:28 pm    ::: Re: Random thoughts after watching some 04 playoff games Reply Reply with quote

Keegan wrote:
* Walker needs to remember that less is more.

yeah, but "I'm gonna f--- her up!" was just right.

PostPosted: 04/22/05 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Only got the tapes today (the joys of surface mail) of 2004 playoff games I couldn't get on ESPN (many thanks to Cam).

You only got them today???

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 04/22/05 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have had it take a month to get a simple package out of Oz, but getting things in is usually not a big problem. A friend told me they had cracked down on parcels...he was even suprised about the questions he had to answer about sending a photograph of Margaret Court out of the country; a simple, flat package and they wanted his life history.

BsktBalPlaya83

PostPosted: 04/22/05 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Where'd you get them from? I'm still searching for tapes.

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 04/22/05 6:10 pm    ::: Re: Random thoughts after watching some 04 playoff games Reply Reply with quote

Keegan wrote:
Burse showed some impressive flashes of play but has to stop fouling. I like her agility and with her and LJ on the floor, Seattle should run like the wind.

* Vanessa Hayden has a future in this league. However, she needs to do A LOT of work. Lesson #1 - shooting over LJ isn't going to get you anywhere. You have to take it *at* her.

* Amber Jacobs reminds me of Kristi a bit... except unlike the frugal Kristi, she's got turnovers spilling out of her everywhere.

* Helen Darling has "headless chicken" syndrome.

Darling the headless chicken... if that mean "dribbling back and forth a lot for no reason because she can't figure out where to pass the ball," um, yes. I like her D, but I won't miss her.

I think I see what you mean about Kristi. Maybe backing up the real Kristi can help: Amber wasn't going to learn how to protect the rock by watching Helen Darling.

Burse seemed to foul a lot while she was in Minnesota, too: 2.8 PFs per game in just 15 MPG, which I think backs up my purely intuitive and hence nearly worthless impressions from 2003. JB in Seattle: 2.9 in 17. (I know, I know, she was a great pick in VGM two years ago-- not trying to deny it.) Vodka's career PFs per game is 2.9, but in 23 minutes. Taj has 2.8 in 32, but of course she doesn't block so many shots. At this point in JB's career I wonder whether she can stop fouling, but maybe Seattle's assistant coaches are better at working with posts than pre-2004 Minnesota's.

Glad you think Big V has a future.

When can we expect Platypus Draft Analysis Part Deux?

dwalkfan22

PostPosted: 04/22/05 6:59 pm    ::: Re: Random thoughts after watching some 04 playoff games Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
yeah, but "I'm gonna f--- her up!" was just right.

lmaoLaughing

PostPosted: 04/22/05 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've known surface mail from the US to take 16 weeks to get to Australia.

Postage from Oz will depend on how you send it:

First class air mail = 1 week
Economy Air = 1-2 weeks
Sea= a long long time in some cases

I've sent many packages to Caune and I don't think any of them has taken more than 2 weeks. I usually post things (depending on weight) first class or economy air.

Since all the anthrax stuff now they ask for photo id. All the declarations of the content have always been in place.

Keegan

PostPosted: 04/22/05 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
You only got them today???

Yeah. As I said, the joys of surface mail!

As for sending packages out of Aus, no problems.

Which reminds me, I have to send more stuff this weekend. More Tim Tams and a surprise...
Keegan

PostPosted: 04/22/05 8:47 pm    ::: Re: Random thoughts after watching some 04 playoff games Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:
When can we expect Platypus Draft Analysis Part Deux?

Next couple of days. I've hit a brick wall with a couple of teams (namely San Antonio and Washington).

I was surprised at Darling's crap decision making. She was a lot better in 2001!

I think Burse has a lot of potential. She just needs more discipline (ala DeMya Walker). It will be interesting to see her paired with Suzy "Mac Truck" Batkovic.

I have just watched Det @ NY Game 3 (with Bethany's blaze of glory) and am currently watching Sac @ L.A Game 3. More thoughts to come.
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/22/05 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keegan wrote:

Which reminds me, I have to send more stuff this weekend. More Tim Tams and a surprise...

That surprise better be named Michael Klim...

gumption72

PostPosted: 04/23/05 10:12 am    ::: Re: Random thoughts after watching some 04 playoff games Reply Reply with quote

Wow. I won't name names, because I don't want to forget anyone, but I hope you know who are. When I read all of your analytical posts of player after player, I feel this twinge of guilt as if I am reading Cliff Notes. I have the luxury of skimming the surface of your exhaustive knowledge base and taking only the choice morsels I want.

I can't imagine the brain powered encyclopedia you all have of the game rules and changes and the numeous players and past players that I will admittedly never have or ever hope to have. I just don't have enough hours in the day to get up to speed in the history of the players and even the current players... hell, I can barely keep track of about 4 or 5 players in a few of my favorite teams in just one snapshot in time. I would have to cancel my hour at the gym, let my house go to hell, tell my dogs to hold it indefinitely, become a recluse and park my laptop in front of my TV for a year and that would get me caught up to 1998.

Just wanted to express my appreciation at the time and energy you all take to share your exhaustive expertise with lil old me. Smile

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 04/23/05 1:13 pm    ::: Re: Random thoughts after watching some 04 playoff games Reply Reply with quote

Gumption, don't sell yourself short!

(Also, the more often you post to this board, the more often I get to see the really cool photo of Lindsay which you use as your avatar, which means you should post a lot.)

Keegan

PostPosted: 04/25/05 8:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Detroit @ NY Game 3

NY is mentally tougher than the Shock minus Cash. This is not a surprise.

Merlakia Jones - where were you in the regular season?

Shameka Christon - falls into the Vanessa Hayden category (good talent but needs A LOT of work)

A Shock fan on ESPN was badmouthing Elaine Powell. They have no idea on what they're talking about. Haynie better than Powell? Laughing

Riley is more dangerous from 12-15 feet than she is banging down low. Well you get that impression considering the amount of time she spends in the high post.

Sac @ L.A Game 3

D-Nasty is the heart of the Sparks team. Where was the heart from the Sparks in this game?

I'd love to see Tanty Maiga off Phoenix's bench.

Tangela Smith had a great series but I can see why Whit dumped her for a shooter - DeMya Walker has oodles of potential (usual "must play more disciplined" clause applies).

If I hear the term 'white line defense' again, I will randomly choke an ESPN commentator.
Slovydal

PostPosted: 04/25/05 9:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maiga is fantastic isn't she?! She has a great attitude. She'll patiently wait on the bench and then give it everything she's got with the minutes she gets. She sometimes picks up quick fouls but she's got so much "heart"
Any team would be lucky to have her.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: